Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
does SPF "add up"?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cbeb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:45 am      Reply with quote
for example, if u wear a moisterizer with spf 30 and powder with spf 15 it doesnt add to spf 45 does it?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Nope! It divides it! so you will be wearing the equivalent of 22.3 SPF
bummer innit!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
wow that sux Confused
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I spose so, but then an SPF of 20+ is pretty good Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Not only that 2 spfs don't add up, certain active ingredients destabilizes each other (ie octinoxate destablizes avobenzone). So you really have to research your ingredients if you want to mix spfs.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:33 am      Reply with quote
OMG! it gets worse! Shock
Smile

Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure about it halving (Guapagirl - what is the theory behind that?) but I do know for certain that they do NOT add up. Best case scenario would be that you would get protection equivalent to the higher SPF product you are using.

Mabsy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I read it in a magazine last year. I have looked and can't find anything anywhere about mixing spfs which is odd. Am sticking this handbag link in which has an exaustive breakdown on the mechanics behind sun protection (chillipadi is considered an 'expert' there on all things solar Smile ) and will PM chillipadi to see if she knows anything. Don't bother with all 15 pages unless you want info on particular products, the main info is in 1st post. It's a bit boring but very informative

http://forums.handbag.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151113&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Guapagirl. I've been meaning to check out handbag.com - now's as good a time as any Smile

Mabsy
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:02 am      Reply with quote
hmm, makes you think, you have a moisturiser which says 20spf, then a foundation that says spf8/15/20 you think you'd be safe. Embarassed

Perhaps is isn't stable if you use regular foundations, since Bare Essenctuals is powder, do we think this is a good option. I'm currently using summer bisque as a foundation rather than a concealer Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Thanks for the link Guapagirl. I've been meaning to check out handbag.com - now's as good a time as any Smile

Mabsy

It will end up costing you if you get hooked! Laughing That said, there are some quite unpleasant threads sometimes and there seem to be loads of kids on these days, hence my now permenant defection to EDS! Very Happy
However, I PM chillipadi (who is really nice) and asked her about mixing spf's and she reckoned that a final spf would be between the two original ones. She didn't say why or where she got the info, but she is pretty knowledgable about this stuff. I actually tried to lure her here, but don't know if she will!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies and gents! Smile

I'm in the U.S. and I've read somewhere in one of the plethora of fitness and fashion magazines that I "veg" out/wind down with that SPFs don't "mix" nor do they combine.

Since you are applying it in layers, the first layer is the SPF protection that you benefit from. The others don't add to it. I'm not sure about negating it though.

I've also read recently that Duke University did a study on SPFs. If you use a C+E serum that it doubles the protection factor of the SPF you have over the serums.

My two U.S. cents. Please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

HTH
clin1202
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
No, they certainly do not add up. I read that you only get the highest SPF that you apply. Also, some sunscreen ingredients destablize each other.
Lee
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:39 am      Reply with quote
There are lots of articles on the radio etc on spfs here in the uk at the mo, the general opinion in the uk has been the mixing spfs is a no-no, and that to assume you are "diluting" products and leaving you less protected. There is concern about the increase of skin cancer over the last few years as people assume they are more protected wearing sun products and stay out in the sun longer. Not sure how this figures as many cases are believed to have been linked to having been burnt on occasions from years past. Its all so confusing, and working in a doctors surgery we still see people with sunburn and most often when weather has been cloudier and not so hot. The message does need to be got across that the suns rays are harmful anytime.
Caspers Mum

Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I have to say that the rest of the ladies out there are right: they don't add-up when layering. Did you know that between an SPF 15 and 30, that there is only a 4% margin of protection? Yup. And anything beyond an SPF 30 is just additional ingredients that may cause more irritation to the skin.
cbeb
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:34 am      Reply with quote
wow i didnt know that thanks for all the replies Smile
morelia

Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I didn't realize certain products can destablize other products. I was using a tinted moisturizer SPF 15 with physical blockers like zinc and titanium oxide I believe. And I just purchased Murad's essential C eye cream SPF 15 which has the chemical blockers in it. I've been putting the Murad on first and then the tinted moisturizer. I wonder if this is a problem??

Also, I recently heard (after I ordered the Murad cream) that the chemical blockers are not as effective as the physical blockers (which is why I was doubling up). Anyone hear that? My dermatologist confirmed that. I decided to try the Murad cream anyway since it got so many good reviews on this forum but I'm worried that it alone is not as effective as others.

Anyone know?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |