Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

New here and looking for effective products for mature skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mischa
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading the posts on this forum for a while and have found them very informative. I just registered on Friday and so this is my first post. I am 54 and have been on a quest for good beauty products for probably the past 35 years, sometimes it feels like searching for the Holy Grail.

I live in the States (PA), am originally from England and have (typically) thin, dryish skin with very mild rosacea (I had IPL last week). I am very interested in the products available here but am looking at rows and rows of half full jars of cream every morning in my bathroom cabinet Rolling Eyes so want to make sure that my next investment is a viable one.

I think my main concern at this point is finding products that can firm up my skin (even if only in a minor way). I got the free sample of Relastin and I think it has helped to firm my skin.

I have been very impressed with the knowledge of the people here and I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions so thank you in advance for your patience.

Mischa

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi and welcome, Mischa,

I'm from back where you originally came from! Lovely, sunny England. Laughing
Willow123

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Misha, I am in my forties and I use SkinMedica's TNS Recovery Complex. It really works for me. I always get compliments when I use it regularly. It increases collagen production and my skin looks firmer and my fine lines are not as obvious. It is a little pricy but I follow with a day cream with SPF15. So it's only 2 products for me. This product has been on Oprah twice!
Willow123

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Misha, I am in my forties and I use SkinMedica's TNS Recovery Complex. It really works for me. I always get compliments when I use it regularly. It increases collagen production and my skin looks firmer and my fine lines are not as obvious. It is a little pricy but I follow with a day cream with SPF15. So it's only 2 products for me! This product has been on Oprah twice. Good luck!
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
welcome! I heard valmont¨s products are suitable for mature skin, maybe you can try!
Mischa
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I really appreciate it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Misha,I'm new myself.people are so helpful on this site.My skin is like yours.Please post if something starts working for you.Having thin,dry skin with rosacea makes it very had to find antiaging products.Thats why I keep trying.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there and welcome!

I think it is fair to say that if you stick to stuff that has proven anti aging effects you can't go wrong so stuff like vit C serums, copper peptids, retinol and some form of exfoliant as well as something for moisture and sunscreen and you can't go wrong.

BUT introduce actives slowly and one at a time! and don't use vit c and copper peptides together if you decide to use them.

You may want to also look at agireline and/or dmae products which have a cosmetic effect as well Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello and welcome!

I agree with Guapagirl 100%.

Best of luck,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello and welcome!

I agree with Guapagirl 100%.

Best of luck,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mischa,

I too am faced with aging skin and dryness, but although I sometimes have redness issues, I don't think mine is due to rosacea -- so I know you're probably having a tough time of it Crying or Very sad !

Based on my research on this forum and others, of the best-accepted anti-aging actives (copper peptides, vitamin C, retinol), copper peptides would probably be the best for you to try adding to your regimen. Retinols and vitamin C products are sometimes more prone to cause redness and inflammation in sensitive skin types.

Again, though, I am relatively new to all of this, so do you have a grain of salt? Smile

P.S. By the way, how long have you been using Relastin? I've been reading very good reviews of its effects after a few months.
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:42 am      Reply with quote
i, too, agree with guapagirl.

if you delve into cp's - i would suggest starting with skin biology's NEW ghk super copper serum.

there is a TON of info at skinbio's website about the science of it all
- tough to navigate thru, but informative.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I'd be interested in knowing what you already have and what you like and what just hasn't worked.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mischa and welcome! I believe sunscreen should be at the top of any anti-aging product list. But considering the fact you have rosacea, you may want to try samples of any "active" products first. Some people -- even those without rosacea -- experience unpleasant reactions to C sera, retinoids and AHAs (I don't use peptides so I can't offer an informed comment).

I'm 55 and my basics are:

Avene Emulsion SPF50+ (it's compatible with mineral makeup)

SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic (my all around favorite "active" product)

PSF DMAE for a quick, subtle lift, but no more than about 3 times per week

PSF Pumpkin Enzyme Peel when my skin needs extra exfoliation (I prefer this any more to leave-on AHAs now that I'm older)

Avene Retrinal .1% for face and .05% for eyes (a gentle retinoid) a couple of times per week at most

Caudalie Radiance Serum at bedtime when I need moisture

macadamia oil to spot treat lines and dryness at bedtime (mainly around lips and eyes)
Mischa
5% products discount

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing what you already have and what you like and what just hasn't worked.

Hi Rufus, I have tried a ton of products. Here is a sampling:

Hymed (day lotion & night cream). I bought these on the recommendation of my esthetician and took back the day lotion, am giving the nightcream another chance. These are HA products and supposed to hydrate, but I'm not wowed by them and not find them as hydrating as promised.
Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Didn't find it as hydrating as promised.
IS Clinical Super Youth Serum: Got a sample and thought I liked it but a bit harsh for my skin.
Relastin: I like this for its firming effects.
Cerave Cream: Nice as a last layer of cream to seal in moisture.
Hope in a Jar (Philosophy): Okay, but not amazing.
Strivectin: No effect whatsoever.
Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference: Have used this for years as a make-up base, find it hydrating.
Vichy Nutrilogie 2 Intensive Nourishing Moisturizing Cream: This seems to hydrate my skin, have used during winter months due to dry skin.
MD Formulations Glycolic Acid Lotion: Use once or twice a week to get rid of flaky skin.
Baby Quasar: Bought this in December 2006, haven't been quite as vigilant as I should have been but no amazing results in the first few weeks.

My SPF lotions and creams vary, usually SPF 15 in the winter. Will have to research that for summer.

All in all, a pretty disparate list of products. When I try and cut down on products, my skin does not feel sufficiently hydrated, it's all about the feel of my skin, can't stand that tight feeling.

Thanks in advance!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again Mischa - FYI, several of us have recently come to the conclusion that products containing a high amount of HA actually cause dryness. There's a recent topic about it that you may want to check out:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21688
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Willow123 wrote:
Hi Misha, I am in my forties and I use SkinMedica's TNS Recovery Complex. It really works for me. I always get compliments when I use it regularly. It increases collagen production and my skin looks firmer and my fine lines are not as obvious. It is a little pricy but I follow with a day cream with SPF15. So it's only 2 products for me. This product has been on Oprah twice!

Do you know how this product works? The ingredients include "Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media." What in the world is that? And what is it supposed to do? I found an EDS post from 2005 that said it has "human foreskin" in it!!!! Huh?? Anyone know? Here it is:
"TNS is actually SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex and it is sold here at EDS if you want do further exploration. I was told that it is made from a formulation based on human foreskin and it is for firming."
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mischa,

Welcome to the forum. I would agree with the others. The type of products to look for would be copper peptides (The new Super GHK serum) is very gentle, vitamin C, a mild retinol, and a mild exfoliant like a BHA. DMAE also helps with firming.
Oh and a mineral base sunscreen. Something with titanium or zinc oxide.
Mischa
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:36 am      Reply with quote
LilLoco wrote:
Hi Mischa,

P.S. By the way, how long have you been using Relastin? I've been reading very good reviews of its effects after a few months.

I've been using Relastin for about 3 1/2 months and I've noticed a slight firming of my skin. It's definitely a product I'll be ordering again.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
Hi Mischa,

Welcome to the forum. I would agree with the others. The type of products to look for would be copper peptides (The new Super GHK serum) is very gentle, vitamin C, a mild retinol, and a mild exfoliant like a BHA. DMAE also helps with firming.
Oh and a mineral base sunscreen. Something with titanium or zinc oxide.

Thank you all for the excellent recommendations and advice, really appreciate it. I've been interested in the CPs for some time now but heard that one has to go through an 'ugly' stage before the benefits can be seen. Sounds like the Super GHK Serum might be more suitable for my skin (can be a tad sensitive at times) if it is gentler. I'll have to revisit the Skin Biology site again.

Again, thanks to all of you!

5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
[
Quote:
quote="m.april"]Hi again Mischa - FYI, several of us have recently come to the conclusion that products containing a high amount of HA actually cause dryness. There's a recent topic about it that you may want to check out:

Thanks for posting this link, I found the posts about HA very interesting. The hype about HA is always that it is superhydrating but I have not found that to be the case. When I put the serum on my cleansed face, my skin still feels tight.

I should have been more wary of buying the Hymed products from my esthetician, I already returned the day lotion (products can be returned within 30 days) and I'm going to return the night cream too.

This forum has so much valuable information and I'm going to do my research in future. I'm determined to cut down on my facial creams and lotions.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |