Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How old must you be to use a product for "Mature Skin&q
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering if a product has been created for "mature skin," what is the age for this?

I was thinking maybe 50 and up? Am I way off?

What happens if you're younger than the "mature" age, and use the product meant for "mature skin"? Will your skin mature faster? Basically I want to know if there's any harm in using products meant for mature skin if you're not that mature yet.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi!
I used to be a Beauty Therapist/Esthetician and we always viewed 'mature skin' as skin that was visibly'older' than the persons biological age when compared with what you would expect. So basically - if someone who was 30 came in and had lines/sundamage we viewed it as mature as it appeared older than you would expect the average 30yo skin to be like. (Does that make sense?).
Basically I think you can't put an age on 'Mature' you can have 'mature skin' at any age or have a problem usually associated with 'mature skin' at any age depending on your genetics, lifestyle, environment, periods of illness, stress etc etc. On the other hand you can have a 50+ person with gorgeous skin that is 'younger' than you would expect for the average for that age group - I wouldn't necessarily use skincare aimed at mature skins on that person just because of their age.

I guess what I am trying to say is that forget age to an extent and treat the skin you see in front of you.
So then, if you feel you skin will benefit from a product aimed at mature skin then go for it - just be careful it isn't too rich as a lot of these products tend to be aimed at dry skintypes so can cause breakouts in some other skintypes. You aren't going to do any damage, you may see a benefit and the worse case scenario is you aren't ready for that particular product just yet so you get 'neutral results' and could have probably used a more basic treatment and got a similar result and possibly saved yourself so money.

HTH's! Very Happy

Do you have a particular product/skin concern in mind?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I don't know...I have seen skin referred to as mature once you are 35+ and up--or 40s up.

There are products that will say that they are for "transitional" skin, which usually refers to perimenopause, the time leading up to and including menopause.

But what the previous poster says is very true...It depends on sun damage and other factors. My skin didn't really start looking or acting old till I was around 45.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
There wouldn't be any harm in terms of your skin maturing faster-you just may end up using products that are too rich & end up with clogged pores..at the very least you would be wasting your money. I'm over 50, but find most products geared for that age group are too rich-I still have oily skin. Depending on how your skin looks at the moment, go for prevention (anitoxidants) light moisturizers, sunblock. Save the big guns for when you really need them. You'll know...believe me.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I think it also depends upon the product & it's ingredients - what is it 'designed' to do? If your skin has the issues that the product is designed to 'treat', then I don't think an age 'number' matters.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I think that makes sense. Well, I have started using IFP Rejuvenating Face Serum aimed for mature skin. I'm 38, and have been told I look 10 years younger, but I do have dry skin and am not prone to break-outs. So if I use this face serum and I'm not breaking out, then it's ok?
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I think normally when one is 25+, she should use anti-oxidant products, when 30+, should use anti-age products(maybe equal to "mature skin"). However, I believe if one have dry skin, or if one live under great pressure or very bad conditions, one should take this earlier
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Sure! There isn't anything in there that can't be used on any skintype - the only thing is that some of the oils may be a bit richer than oily skintypes need or can tolerate. The essential oils in it can be good for everyone, but they were chosen because they offer more benefits to maturing skin - skin that needs a little more help with rejuvenation, lines, wrinkles, etc. Does that make sense?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Sure! There isn't anything in there that can't be used on any skintype - the only thing is that some of the oils may be a bit richer than oily skintypes need or can tolerate. The essential oils in it can be good for everyone, but they were chosen because they offer more benefits to maturing skin - skin that needs a little more help with rejuvenation, lines, wrinkles, etc. Does that make sense?

Yes, Kim, it does make sense. I just got a bit paranoid, so thought I should ask. LOL But I do see that my undereye area is looking less dry (no crepe lines which I always associate them with dryness not actual aging but maybe I'm wrong).

Is the BHA 2% supposed to be used daily? Last night I saw some skin peeling above my lips, so I didn't use BHA this morning.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
For someone starting out with BHA, I recommend using it every other day at first - for at least two weeks. Then if needed/desired, and there are no problems, you can try bumping it up to every day. Some people with particularly sensitive skin may find that they need to use it every 2nd day until their skin becomes 'used' to it.

Of course, other products that are being used can also play a part in how the skin reacts. I always recommend starting with one new product at a time - use that product for at least 2 weeks to see how the skin reacts, and then if there are no problems, go ahead and add a second new product. If you start several new products at once, and you have issues with your skin, you won't have any idea which one is causing the problems.

There should have been instruction sheets included with your products - and there is also information on the website that explains how to use the products. And of course, you can always email me anytime.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ke Jiang wrote:
I think normally when one is 25+, she should use anti-oxidant products, when 30+, should use anti-age products(maybe equal to "mature skin"). However, I believe if one have dry skin, or if one live under great pressure or very bad conditions, one should take this earlier

totally agree!
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:53 am      Reply with quote
The thing about antioxidants is that they can help improve some damage and they also help protect against further sun damage. So, I would add an antioxidant before resorting to AHAs, etc., especially if you don't need them.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
i was asking my derm the other day, and she said actually by the time you are around age 30, u can start to use on those pdts.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
rainbow_listic wrote:
i was asking my derm the other day, and she said actually by the time you are around age 30, u can start to use on those pdts.

Thank you. I guess I can use it then.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl ~ what i understand is that by using skincare products that r meant for mature skin doesnt amke your skin mature faster. infact it protects and prevent your skin from aging too fast. it somehow slow down the process if you manage to find the right products that suits your skin.

i am just a couple of years shy to the age of 30 but i have started to look around at the skincare product both from drugstores and counters for something that is suitable for me. Laughing
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Products for mature skin tend to be geared towards skin that has become more dry. I've seen people in their 20's use some mature skin products. I'm almost 50 and I still have to use products for oily skin. So, it depends on the condition of the skin not just the person's age.
Tangerine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
For most products, I think they did nothing other than moisturizing...In that case, I think mature=dry and I have dry skin. So I always pick up creams for mature skin since I was 25. Smile
birki

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
i guess it would be a good time to start aft 25yrs old..some creams might be too rich
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I can understand the confusion. "Mature" skin is not exactly a skin type whereas dry/oily, sensitive /resistant,wrinkles/or not,pigmented/or not should be the concerns that any skin care product try to address. To me when a product uses only "for mature skin" on its lable its simply more marketing than anything else.
snow_balls
5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ke Jiang wrote:

I agree.
When you are 20+, you can start using some anti-aging products.

I started with alittle like firming stuff, collagen stuff when I was at 20.
MarkeyGoW
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I was just wondering if a product has been created for "mature skin," what is the age for this?

What happens if you're younger than the "mature" age, and use the product meant for "mature skin"? Will your skin mature faster? Basically I want to know if there's any harm in using products meant for mature skin if you're not that mature yet.

IF and only IF you can qualify for ARP will you be allowed to purchase skin care for mature skin.
LOL
Hugs,
Markey Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
MarkeyGoW wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:

IF and only IF you can qualify for ARP will you be allowed to purchase skin care for mature skin.
LOL
Hugs,
Markey Smile

ARP?? Joking, yeah? Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |