Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Candida Recovery - here goes!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Scalawaggirl - the protein I take is by Nutriway/Nutrilite. I believe it is a certified organic soy/milk powder which has a full spectrum of all essential amino acids and has a protein quantity of about 80%+ (most brands I have seen are only 30-60%) and the yield rate (how much of the product is turned into useful amino acids) once digested is about 60% - even higher when supplemented with a good B complex.

I have not done much research on other brands of protein powders though there are myriads, as they are mainly whey protein and taste rather awful and synthetic. I have become accustomed to the taste of the powder (after 2 years!) it is slightly dull flour like, but I don't add anything to it and actually is a comfort food for me in the mornings to energise me.

So if anyone else is interested to supplement protein (I supplement around 30g a day, the RDI I take into account is 1g protein: 1kg of body weight).. look for something that tells you the breakdown of amino acids, not just total protein yield as it may be imbalanced. Also try to look for GE free soy and organic milk sources, synthetics are inferior in quality.

HTH

ETA: To clarify, an essential amino acid is something the body cannot produce by itself, must be supplemented from the diet. So if you don't eat a wide spectrum of protein sources you are bound to be deficient in one or more essential amino acids.

As from Wikipedia, there is a list of the essential amino acids - and RDI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid

Hi Miranets - I am a huge fan of protein powder supplements and have spent several years trying a lot of different brands. The biggest turn-off for me has always been flavor and texture, so finding a powder that dissolves quickly and smoothly as well as tastes reasonably good has been EXTREMELY difficult. With that said, I have indeed found my HG of powders (woo hoo!!!). It's made right here in Toronto by Genuine Health and is called Proteins+. Not only does it taste good and dissolve properly it also contains: the ideal amino acid profile; a signficant amount of protein per serving (25g); VERY low calories per serving (only 110); no dairy; and the option of CALCIUM - which is not found in any other product on the market. As I am twice as old as you and seriously need the added boon of Calcium to supplement my lactose issues and to address any osteoporosis concerns, having this included in the powder is a major benefit for me. (Oh, and the product claims that the calcium will help me lose an extra 11 pounds per year!! Who can resist that, right!!! Dancing ). For more info, click here - http://www.genuinehealth.com/english/pbn/index.php?id=24&section=88

Being lactose intolerant sadly means your soy/milk p-powder by Nutriway would not be suitable for me. After reviewing the nutritional info in Nutriway ( http://www.a2k.com.au/servlet/a2k?page=productDetail&vsNumber=128&categoryId=40501 ), I was surprised to find that it is very high in calories (450 cal per 24g of protein). This is probably not an issue for you but would negate some of my weight-loss efforts (again, I'm an older chick so my metabolism just isn't as quick to burn off those calories anymore - Crying or Very sad ).

I realise you haven't experimented with many other p-powders so I thought I would share this specific line with you as a future option. You can buy Proteins+ from this website which offers free shipping into the US from Canada on orders over $90. http://www.canadadrugsuperstore.com/search_results.asp?DrugName=genuine+health&Type=3&CC=2&AW=0&O=1

Lastly, I have to mention also that I LOVE the Greens+Extra Energy powder by Genuine Health. The combination of the Proteins+ with this powder really reduces my sugar cravings and helps me combate the horrible fatigue I tend to experience on a regular basis (damn that blasted Candida!!!!). I find mixing the two together yields a rather nice flavor too (vanilla for the protein and orange for the greens).

wave

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Oh, thank you ScotsLass!!!! I'm going to look into this powder right away. Smile Thanks, thanks, thanks! I've been researching this and haven't found a better substitute than what I was using so this is just perfect timing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Oh, thank you ScotsLass!!!! I'm going to look into this powder right away. Smile Thanks, thanks, thanks! I've been researching this and haven't found a better substitute than what I was using so this is just perfect timing.

Scally - You are so welcome - you have helped me out with a number of products in this forum, so I am only happy to help you (and everyone else) in return. BTW - I'm in the midst of pulling together my info on Cumin Oil for us. I am completely fascinated to learn that there are herbs that are infinitely stronger as antioxidants in comparison to fruits - I had no idea!!! Will be back in a bit... wave

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Quick question, what is the time frame you get out of using these two products? I was trying to calculate the servings, etc. and it seemed 30 days for the large canister of each. Can you share, if this is how you use it? I might shrink mine down since I do take other supplements but love this as an option for those busy days that I know I won't eat well.

Looking forward to the Oil of Cumin info!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Quick question, what is the time frame you get out of using these two products? I was trying to calculate the servings, etc. and it seemed 30 days for the large canister of each. Can you share, if this is how you use it? I might shrink mine down since I do take other supplements but love this as an option for those busy days that I know I won't eat well.

Looking forward to the Oil of Cumin info!

I personally buy the large containers of both (better value this way) and only consume a full portion of each on those days I am very wiped out, or working out and need the extra energy to recover. Otherwise, I mix one scoop of the Proteins+ (which is a half serving) with a half scoop of the Greens X-Energy in one and half cups of spring water. I drink this (half serving) either first thing in the morning or mid-morning depending on what I eat for breakfast. If I am having a really tiring day or not eating as much due to a busy schedule, I will repeat this drink in the afternoon. You must be careful with the Greens X-Energy though - it's mightly powerful and will keep you energized for quite a number of hours. You don't want to take it too late in the day for this reason (my cut-off is 3:00 pm). Also, when you begin with the Greens X-Energy you will only take 1/3 of a scoop the first week then gradually build up to a full scoop over 3 weeks. If you take too much before your body can adjust, you'll end up bouncing off the walls!!! This is another reason I always take a half serving at any given time - my body is just too sensitive to the effects of a full-strength dose!

As I also take other supplements I easily average 1 1/2 to 2 months out both products this way. HTH's!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Excellent! Thanks for the clarification. That is exactly what I imagined would be the case and the details are very helpful. I'll let you all know how it works for me but the energy aspect is something I am very much looking forward to feeling since this is probably the most obvious and annoying part of my problem - I am tired most of the time. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Well, I started my program last night and had a few funny reactions. First, after dinner I got really loopy almost drunk like but without the spinning feeling. Everything was just so funny to me. I actually loved this feeling! Laughing But then when I got into bed I could NOT fall asleep. My heart just seemed to be racing and I was not tired at all. I did fall asleep after an hour or so though. I'm still undecided if I'm going to jump right in to 2 Threelac a day or stick with the recommended 1 and work my way up. I guess I'll see how I feel by the time I get home and go from there.

Coconut - For me I have been suffering from chronic yeast infections (vaginal) for well over a year now. On top of that, I have also been struggling with major digestive issues. I have been diagnosed with both IBS and chronic gastritis (endoscopy/colonoscopy performed). I think one of the scariest symptoms I have that shocked me when I read one of the yeast articles is that for the last year or so my vision has been going in and out. I go through periods where my vision is extremely blurred for 2-3 days and then it just clears up. It's actually pretty scary since the vision is so bad I probably shouldn't be driving. Embarassed Over the last year I've also had bouts of depression/anxiety, short-term memory loss, skin sensitivity and joint problems and for many years I've suffered from major sinus problems/allergies and constantly congested ears. Gosh this sounds so sad, I mean for pete's sake I just turned 30 and I sound like an 80 year old! I've always felt older than I am because of my health issues.

So, I have NO doubts that I suffer from a serious candida problem. I just hope this is finally the answer to my prayers!

This really sounds a lot like me, wow. Last year I went to the doctor for fatigue, chronic constipation, blurry vision, and chronic heart burn, amongst other problems, but those were the major issues.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to find good doctors, and he just diagnosed me with anemia, gave me some anti-acids, and just really ignored my other issues...almost to the point where I felt like I could be imagining things (or that my symptoms were normal, 2 weeks without a bowel movement is normal??).

My fatigue isn't quite as bad since I started taking iron, but the constipation and blurry vision persist. I went from having perfect vision as a child to barely being able to see at times; one day I'm okay, the next I can barely recognize people my vision is so blurred. I noticed too I've been having memory loss, at first I thought it was just in my head, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure. It is really embarrassing how I can't remember the names of people i've just met moments earlier (and I'm usually really good with names. I also have a really bad intolerance to cold temperatures, lately I've had bad knee joint pains...this list will continue to grow as I remember things, ha.

It would actually be a relief if this were in fact the root of all my problems. I did the spit test and I saw the "legs", though I feel like I need a more definitive answer before I jump on the bandwagon. I really just need to find a good doctor, I notice that many doctors get intimidated when patients self-diagnose, or seem to know more about an issue than they do.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Fantastic thread.

Just wanted to add this : if you find you are coming down with a vaginal yeast infection, there are a couple of easy ways to re - balance your knicker zone ph. straight away to stop it taking hold.

Put cider vinegar in your bathwater, or have a cider vinegar douche. (VERY dilute obviously.)

Use some natural live yoghurt as a pessary. ( nice and cooling too, straight from the fridge.)

Usually these steps, taken early on, will reverse the imbalance that is allowing the yeast to flourish.

You may have to do them three times a day or so.

And another wee thing. If whilst alkalising yourselves and avoiding sugar, you find you fall off the wagon and are looking at an empty chocolate bar wrapper and wonderin what happened... get a jar of umeboshi plum paste and take a half a teaspoon of it and swallow it with water.
It tastes INTENSELY salty. It neutralises the acidity of sugar very effectively. ( like a little anti - dote )

I'm going to get some OO oil, it sounds amazing. And cumin oil too..

Oh that reminds me.

A recipe for a good alkalising tea - cumin,fennel and coriander seeds, one third of a tsp each for one cup of tea. very aromatic. helps flush acidity out of your system.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if you gals have done the saliva test again yet.

I don't know how often you should do it, but I did it once on Friday, and saw some cloudiness at the bottom of the water cup, but no legs hanging.

Today I tried again since I didn't eat or drink anything yet, and I just wanted to see if I got the same results. This time, I saw no cloudiness at the bottom of the cup, and my spit was floating on top (it's pretty much just a few bubbles).

Since Friday, I switched to the powder form of MSM (Lignisul brand). I have religiously been taking 1/2 tsp AM and PM. I didn't take any Oil of Oregano. Yesterday I drank two cups of green tea b/c I started to get a scratchy throat. Today, no more scratchy throat, and if the saliva test is correct, no candida.

I took one pro-biotics (from Trader Joes) on Saturday. That's about it.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, here are a few links to some info on cumin oil, or more specifically Black Cumin Seed Oil. There are 3 different varieties of the black cumin plant and only one that offers extensive medicinal properties, so you must be careful to ensure that you check the label properly before buying. The black cumin seed that you want is derived from the Nigella Sativa plant. However, when shopping for the oils or seeds you'll discover they go by the names Black Cumin (oil) or Black Seed (oil). These interchangeable names can be a bit confusing at times so I now check for the Nigella Sativa ingredient when in doubt. Ideally, black cumin is cultivated in North Africa, Asia and southeastern Europe, with the most important producers in Egypt, India, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Turkey. It is said the most sought after black cumin oil is cultivated in the middle of an Arab desert in Egypt, but I have yet to find a reliable source selling authentic Egyptian cumin oil. Rather than get into all the details of this oil, I'm going to give you a few highlites of what it can offer and provide the links to more indepth info.

Here are a few quotes from some of the articles below.
Quote:
In 2003, one study noted the antifungal activity of black cumin seed extract against Candida albicans. In the study, mice were injected with Candida albicans, producing colonies of the organism in their liver, spleen, and kidneys. The researchers found that treatment with black cumin seed extract 24 hours after inoculation inhibited growth of the Candida albicans. With continued treatment, the extract significantly decreased the amount of Candida albicans found in the kidneys, liver, and spleen.

Aside from verifying its antibacterial and antifungal properties, researchers in recent years have tested the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of black cumin seed extract. In 1995, a group of scientists from the Department of Pharmacy at King's College in London found that the extract contains these properties, and is an antioxidant as well. They believe the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant abilities may be linked to ingredients such as thymoquinone and unsaturated fatty acids. Ultimately, the researchers concluded that black cumin seed extract is a justified treatment for rheumatism and related inflammatory diseases.

Quote:
Traditionally Black Seed has been used for a variety of ailments including bronchitis, asthma, rheumatism and related inflammatory conditions, increasing milk production in nursing mothers, digestive and eliminative disturbances, parasite infection and supporting immunity. Its oil is used to treat skin conditions such as eczema and boils and is used topically to treat cold symptoms. The classic text Medicines of the Prophet lists as many as fifty illnesses for which Black Seed has effective healing qualities.

Because of its complex chemical structure — it has over one hundred active ingredients — black cumin has positive effects on the respiratory, immune, circulatory, digestive, and urinary systems. It is potentially effective against asthma, stomach ailments, and numerous skin conditions, ranging from acne to psoriasis. Its many uses has earned it the popular title “Seed of Blessing”.

Quote:
Black Cumin (Nigella sativa) Seed Oil is 35% more concentrated than the raw seed. It is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, known as essential fatty acids (Linoleic and Linolenic acid), The EFAs, consisting of alpha-Linolenic acid (omega-3) and Linoleic acid (omega-6), are the building blocks of cells and are substances that cannot be manufactured in the body, and thus must be taken in as supplements or through high-EFA foods.

http://www.awarenessmag.com/sepoct0/SO0_BLACK_SEED.HTM
http://www.answers.com/topic/black-cumin-seed-extract
http://www.kitchendoctor.com/articles/blackcumin.html

This website ( http://www.sweetsunnah.com/ ) is loaded with great reading material (click the Black Seed menu button at the top of the page). However, I am somewhat suspicious of their products. The black seed oils they sell are so inexpensive and really seem too good to be true to me. I called them to verifiy where they sourced their black cumin and was told it's from India. When I asked about their 30-day money-back policy, I was told the bottle had to be sealed to qualify Confused . If nothing else, this site is definitely worth looking at for the general information and research articles.

Here is another site that sells Black Seed oil and is backed by a 30 day satifaction guarantee for sealed or unsealed bottles. http://www.blackseedusa.com/faqs.html

There are a few books devoted to Black Cumin, here are two I found worth noting:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cumin-Allergies-Conditions-Disorders/dp/0892818433/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7587245-5252837?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174939364&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Power-Black-Cumin/dp/0914955535/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-7587245-5252837?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174939364&sr=8-2

On a final note....
-Beware of Turkish or Wild black cumin (Nigella Damascena) - it has little significance as a healing herb.
-Do NOT take this oil or seed if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. In some countries they use it as a contraceptive, so it must stimulate the uterine lining in some way.

Phew...I'm off for a cuppa now wave

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
this is not for candida, per se, but one of the niggling symptoms: yeast infections. the back story: i've been searching for natural/alternative cures for my insane allergies and came across ACV once again. so i've started drinking it three times a day and so far, so good....

no connection you say? if you look at MSM, cumin and oregano oil -- they all claim to help with allergies and whatnot as well as candida. there definitely seems to be a connection! i'm not saying ACV is going to cure it or anything, but many people seemed to have found relief from the yeast infection part with ACV: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/yeast_infection.html at the very least, taking baths with ACV has always helped when my skin is feeling all irritated and itchy. anyways, i mentioned this to scally today and thought i'd pass along the link.... HTH.

oh, and there's also a page worth looking at on the subject of the thread: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/candida.html
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
this is not for candida, per se, but one of the niggling symptoms: yeast infections. the back story: i've been searching for natural/alternative cures for my insane allergies and came across ACV once again. so i've started drinking it three times a day and so far, so good....

no connection you say? if you look at MSM, cumin and oregano oil -- they all claim to help with allergies and whatnot as well as candida. there definitely seems to be a connection! i'm not saying ACV is going to cure it or anything, but many people seemed to have found relief from the yeast infection part with ACV: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/yeast_infection.html at the very least, taking baths with ACV has always helped when my skin is feeling all irritated and itchy. anyways, i mentioned this to scally today and thought i'd pass along the link.... HTH.

oh, and there's also a page worth looking at on the subject of the thread: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/candida.html

The connection between ACV and candida and allergies is the acidity level of the body. Candida thrives in a body suffering from acidosis. Acv helps alkalise the body. Acidity undermines the immune system: the malfunction can result in allergies.
One of the things which helps get rid of allergies is high level of Vit C intake. ( boosts the immune system ) Apparently most allergic people are chronically short of Vit C and it takes some months to correct this at quite high intake levels. Taking MSM and Vit C together is therefore quite a potent attack against this whole body condition.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have learn more from this topic!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:
... Phew...I'm off for a cuppa now wave

And a very well-deserved one, if I do say so! Thank you, ScotsLass, for providing such great information on this thread. Its obvious you've done a lot of research and its been a great help to me, and the rest of the folks as well, I'm sure!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Scotslass, thank you for your contribution. It's very thorough and easy to understand. This oil looks like something one would want in his/her kitchen along with the OoO for sure.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Got in my OoO a few days ago. Am I to understand it can make your stomach upset in the beginning as it cleanses out your system?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Got in my OoO a few days ago. Am I to understand it can make your stomach upset in the beginning as it cleanses out your system?

Hi AnnieR,

I never got the stomach upset, and I was in a panick mode using it almost every 2 hrs.

What brand of OoO did you get? Do you know the Cervacrol % of it?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Just a question for those who have suffered candida long term... can you guys pinpoint any past actions/behaviours to your current situation? Eg. For me, I have been exposed to antibiotics since BIRTH (through breastmilk), and took various forms of penicillins and amoxycillins for very mild ailments most of my childhood, and never had a very "probiotic" diet until the last few years... I had very low "friendly" bacteria in my body, when I went on a prescription strength antibiotic I literally developed candida and strep throat all together within 3 days!!

Would like to hear other people's histories too Smile Really curious to know if long term candida is from mainly antibiotic misuse or other changes in the body.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Bkkgril-it says 75-80%. I got it from Central Market and it says it is wild. I've only been taking it once a day, but I do have some grumbling.
Miranets-I know my constant battle w/ bladder and yeast infections is also from overuse as a child and teenager. My derm had once prescribed an EXTREME amount of antibiotics in my early 20's before finally putting me on accutane after a serious bout of cystic acne outbreak. Right after that, I ended up in the hospitol within hours of death with severe peritinitis and had 6 feet of small intestines removed and extreme pelvic scarring. They told me I would never have children, but lo and behold the miracle child after all (well that's how he decribes himself). Anyway, the best they could figure was the overuse of antibiotics so now even a low dose or short course can send my body into overdrive. I do use probiotics on a daily basis along with chlorella, a gallon of water daily and a host of green foods and supplements. I firmly believe there is a link, IMO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing Annie - I too believe modern antibiotics and the careless way health practitioners dispense them is the major factor for our candida woes. Too bad the effects are often not felt for years later, so many people don't make that connection.

For those who are into supplementing probiotics in the fight against candida, I have come across a supplement called fructose oligo saccharide, a PREbiotic which is a low calorie plant fibre, and promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut. This may be a worthy addition in your supplement arsenal.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I will look that up, thanks.
It's funny how now my doc says, I don't want to prescribe anything for that, let's just wait and see. I'm glad times have changed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:35 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:

Hi Annie - It is very possible that your stomach is feeling out of sorts due to the attack the OoO is having on the unhealthy fungi and/or bacteria, etc., in your system (there is likely a lot of toxins being released). Typically, OoO is known to be a carminative & choleretic which means it should settle your stomach and digestive system. The excerpt below from http://www.holistichealthshoppe.com/astragalus.php?id=35 explains this further.

Quote:
Oil of Oregano is also a Carminative, so it relieves gas upset and helps settle the digestive system. As a Choleretic, it stimulates bile excretion which aids in digestion. It's Anti-inflammatory and Antispasmodic properties further aid in digestion by relaxing and soothing spastic and inflamed tissue within the stomach and intestines. As a result, Oil of Oregano is used for conditions such as indigestion, bloating, stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea and gas. In some cases, these are only symptoms of a larger problem - infection. Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi and Parasites commonly root themselves within the digestive system, and cause illness. When infection is the culprit, Oil of Oregano aggressively attacks these pathogenic microorganisms while helping to alleviate unpleasant symptoms, and assist with digestion.

Have you tried taking your OoO with milk or juice to see if this helps? Hope you feel better soon...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, it is better. It says to be taken with a meal and the first day I did not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Just thought I would post a quick update, although I don't have much to say. I don't really feel better yet, but I don't feel worse either. I've decided to go ahead and take the folic acid incase my BV decides to flare up during all of this. I don't want to get rid of one problem only to have another!

I went ahead upped my Threelac to 2 each day starting on day 2 as I really wanted to hit this hard. For those of you taking this, are you taking 2 packets 1 time per day, or 1 packet 2 times per day? The instructions are really unclear but I thought it would be best to break up the dosage for more even coverage, if you will.

Other than that, I really don't have much to report. Any gas/bloating I had previously has substantially decreased though...always an added bonus!
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Just a question for those who have suffered candida long term... can you guys pinpoint any past actions/behaviours to your current situation? Eg. For me, I have been exposed to antibiotics since BIRTH (through breastmilk), and took various forms of penicillins and amoxycillins for very mild ailments most of my childhood, and never had a very "probiotic" diet until the last few years... I had very low "friendly" bacteria in my body, when I went on a prescription strength antibiotic I literally developed candida and strep throat all together within 3 days!!

Would like to hear other people's histories too Smile Really curious to know if long term candida is from mainly antibiotic misuse or other changes in the body.

I was speaking to a Nutritionist yesterday who told me that your secondary immune system (which is comprised of your healthy bacteria) is compromised to a degree if your mother had taken antiboitics BEFORE you were born or if she had a yeast infection. It's a case of the mother not having a full supply of healthy bacteria of her own due to candida, so the baby is not able to maintain a full supply either. If the baby was born naturally (and not via c-section) and the mother had any type of candida yeast in her vagina at the time, the simple exposure to it during birth will further reduce the child's healthy bacteria supply as the immune system is being challenged right away.

Think of all the babies who develop Thrush within days or weeks of being born - they are simply not strong enough to fight off the invasion of the candida yeast they received on their body and in their system at birth. Even with the knowledge that the baby contracts candida yeast directly from the mother, the typical response is to blindly accept this as okay rather than be proactive and prevent the problem before it can begin. Wouldn't is make sense to give probiotics to the baby shortly after birth and to continue doing so throughout their lives? These are just my thoughts here, but wouldn't this help the infant to re-build and strengthen it's (potentially weakened) immune/bacteria system, in addition to off-setting any negative side effects from taking any antibiotics they might be given while growing up? I am willing to wager some money on the theory that children's food allergies are all a result of canadia or an imbalance of non-friendly bacteria in their bodies too. You would think more people would give their kids some probiotics along with their daily vitamins, right? Anyway, I wish my mother had known to try this after I was born because I'm certain her antibiotic use throughout her pregnancy with me has affected my health. Here's my story of how...

My mother was on a lot of antibiotics while carrying me thanks to THREE different operations throughout her pregnancy (one being an emergency Appendectomy in her second trimester that almost cost us both our lives!). Needless-to-say, the antibiotics she was given to ward off any potenital infections created nothing but chronic yeast infections instead (poor woman!!!). Miraculously all of this trauma did not cause a premature birth. In fact the opposite occurred and she not only carried full term but needed to be induced 10 days after her due date. Naturally I was exposed to all of her yeasty candida, especially while traveling through the birth canal. It would take several years, but eventually it was discovered that I had a distressed immune system. It's not compromised (THANK God!!!), but it isn't 100% either. At random times in my childhood and teen years I had the strangest bacterial infections, one of which landed me in a quarantined room at Sick Kids Hospital for 3 weeks when I was 8 years old. Surgery was required to remove a chunk of my skin that was hosting this bad bacterial infection that had also found entry into my bloodstream (thereby attacking my white blood cells which was very dangerous).

I recovered well from that ordeal and have not had another episode like it. But I did go on to develop sun-induced herpes on the back of my neck at the age of 12. At the time no one knew what it was (we're talking the late 70's here). Even the best Derm in Toronto was stumped and all he could come up with was I had a "sun allergy". His solution was cortisone injections at the site of the problem, which did na-da other than become a form of torture!! It wasn't until I was 19 that my Derm discovered that what I had was a rare strain of the herpes virus. It isn't contagious like the other strains, but it has all the symptoms of "sun-induced herpes labialis". Simply translated, this means herpes-of-the-lips and is a different strain from the herpes that causes all cold sores (this one is much worse!). It also often afflicts people who are outdoors in the sun and/or ski a lot.

Whatever I have, I hate it. But I am very grateful it isn't the "labialis" variety. I have heard it is very gross to deal with. I am also thankful that I haven't had an outbreak of whatever strain this is in over 12+ years because I am diligent about covering a patch of my neck in zinc oxide when ever I'll be in the sun for long. Now that I have researched OoO, I am about to embark on an internal and topical program in the hopes of killing off intestinal candida and this virus that is laying dormant in my body. I guess I'll never know for certain if it's truly gone unless I'm willing to go out in the sun and burn the back of my neck, but I'm sure as hell going to give the OoO a shot all the same!!!

At the end of the day, I am more and more convinced that my deficient (secondary) immune system and the problems I have with bacteria are all a result of the antibiotics my mother was given while she was pregnant with me. My exposure to the canadia in her body, in addition to ingesting the antibiotics while in the womb, had to have compromised my own healthy bacteria & immune system. I can't see how it wouldn't have. What is really funny is other than the bacterial issues, I was never sick as a kid (and rarely am as an adult). I was 18 before I caught the chicken pox and even then I had the mildest break-out of it (maybe 2-3 days at home and a few bumps at best). To this day I have never had measles or small pox or the mumps. Everything that is typical or normal has passed me by. Apparently I only react to the rare or weird stuff!!! Rolling Eyes

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |