Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What brand of MSM are you taking
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I've read the other thread, it has just gotten a bit busy. I'm just a bit confused about floating vs sinking MSM, caps vs powder...ahh, it's confusing! I bought Doctors Best MSM capsules from vitacost and I just want to make sure I'm using something that will be effective. I've seen a few brands of powdered MSM on ebay, but I'm worried that they aren't pure enough, etc. etc.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Doctor's best is not pure as it listed other ingredients right on the label. However to test for absorbability, you can open up the capsule and dump it in water. If it sinks, then you get some pure one there. My NSI brand did not sink at all. In fact, I was so mad I emailed Dr. Josephs at Vitacost about it since his label indicated no other ingredients beyond just OptiMSM and capsules.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
powder fromwww.msm-msm.com they also sell pure caps at that link.

I have also bought powder fromwww.bio-alternatives.net and they were good also.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
^thanks for the replies. Do the 'other ingredients' adversely effect absorption? or what is the major disadvantage?
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl did you get a reply to your email?

I've been getting MSM (NSI brand) from Vitacost too, but if it's not pure, then I want to look for alternative sources. I'll check yours out Tangal - thanks for the links.
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
^thanks for the replies. Do the 'other ingredients' adversely effect absorption? or what is the major disadvantage?

What is the major disadvantage? I was in a hurry to get started, so just got some tablets at Costco. Do you think it just doesn't get absorbed at all or is it just a little less effective?
Aimee3
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Mad I purchased NSI (Vitacost) on everyone's recommendation. You're right, it does not list any other ingredients yet it floats...heck even when I tried to stir the powder into the glass of water, it still sat on top of the water! Mad Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
bkkgirl did you get a reply to your email?

I've been getting MSM (NSI brand) from Vitacost too, but if it's not pure, then I want to look for alternative sources. I'll check yours out Tangal - thanks for the links.

I got a reply from one of the customer service reps that she'll forward my email to Dr. Josephs b/c I specified in my email that my message was meant for him. I haven't heard from him yet, but I think he must be really busy.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
Coconut wrote:

What is the major disadvantage? I was in a hurry to get started, so just got some tablets at Costco. Do you think it just doesn't get absorbed at all or is it just a little less effective?

According to my naturopathic doctor, Costco brand vitamins are full of fillers and binders to make it cheap to produce and thus for sale. You can always take it back to Costco for a full refund though if you're not happy with it.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:

Did you do the float or sink test? I think if it sinks, it will absorb. The disadvantage of the other ingredients is usually you'll be taking things that you don't really intend to take, and it's just more work for your kidneys and livers to work through to get rid of the excess.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:42 am      Reply with quote
I use Jarrow Formulas MSM. It's powder form. One scoop is 1000 mg and it is pure OptiMSM. I buy it from my local health food store. Very happy with it.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 am      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
Coconut wrote:

You will get some benefit from the MSM even with fillers or excipients, but not as much will be absorbed compared to what you will absorb from MSM that is absolutely pure. So if you change to a pure brand, you may want to reduce the amount you take to about half and then work up again to avoid throwing your body into detox.
lotusspecter
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Source Naturals MSM powder and I love it. It passed the float test with flying colors. I thought it was tasteless because I was mixing it in my orange just without detection. I then tried in my fruit water once and I almost gagged. I guess it wasn't an optimal combination. I ordered it from Vitacost. Cheers
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
MSM users, could you post what you are mixing your powder into to make it palatable, beside OJ? Thanks.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone done the sinking or floating test on MSM fromwww.msm-msm.com?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
First all the sink float test does is show "fillers" not heavy metal contamination. So remember that for other brands. Smile

You still need independent third party testing for that.

I generally use msm-msm powder, it all sinks to the bottom of the glass immediately. Smile

I don't take the capsules myself, but am confidant in that companies caps, since they use the same powder to fill them, as is sold separately.

I simply add it to any cool drink, most generally Splenda Sweetened iced tea, but also sweetened juice of any type, soda, crystal light etc.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I jumped on the bandwagon! I got a bottle, Holista, from London Drugs and did the float/sink test. It floated. Grr...

Anyone know where I can get the good stuff in Vancouver? GNC maybe?
amita
5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Yah - I'd like to know where I can get good MSM in Vancouver as well!

btw - this is a great forum -- it's nice that there are so many Vancouver people here!
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought some last week at Trader Joe's. I really hope this works!!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
MakeupDiva wrote:
I just bought some last week at Trader Joe's. I really hope this works!!

I bought from TJs before, but it's in tablet format, so I stopped buying it. It also got a lot of fillers and binders in the tablet. It probably still works fine. My friend works as their PR director, and she said TJs vitamins are of top notch quality. (Ahhhh but she is their PR person, remember that!) lol
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:
I jumped on the bandwagon! I got a bottle, Holista, from London Drugs and did the float/sink test. It floated. Grr...

Anyone know where I can get the good stuff in Vancouver? GNC maybe?

I also want to know whether GNC carry it?
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I just checked my MSM. It's a Canadian brand Organika, in capsules (1000 mg per cap)
I was certain it was clean, but then I did the float/sink test - and it didn't sink!! Shock Sad !!
I checked the ingredient list and this is what is says:

Ingredients:
MSM ................. 1000mg
Providing a rich source of organic sulphur.
Encapsulated in a natural gelatin capsule
with magnesium stearate.

How bad is that?

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I checked out GNC...

The only brand they carry is their own house brand - GNC. The ingredients listed other additives ( I don't remember now), so I did not purchase...

I'm not sure if other GNC locations carry other brands as I have only been to that one.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
OK, I just checked my MSM. It's a Canadian brand Organika, in capsules (1000 mg per cap)
I was certain it was clean, but then I did the float/sink test - and it didn't sink!! Shock Sad !!
I checked the ingredient list and this is what is says:

Ingredients:
MSM ................. 1000mg
Providing a rich source of organic sulphur.
Encapsulated in a natural gelatin capsule
with magnesium stearate.

How bad is that?

Bumping this up to see if anyone can help me with this.
Thanks in advance!
R. Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
havana8

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
hi rubby, in case it's helpful...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=275
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |