Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just sad about Elizabeth Edwards.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Not much to add. But it's just sad. We all know women with breast cancer. And when it comes back....not good. I know they went to great effort to have kids. I hope it's not related to hormone manipulation. Without getting into politics, they seem to have integrity....
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I heard from radio station this morning and it's not curable.she is still so young. So sad!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I think it's bone cancer, not breast cancer. Did I hear it wrong?
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
It is very very sad about her. I am sure every women here feels for her, she is to young and suffered too much.

I would not use the word integrity anywhere near her husband's last name, considering what he did for living.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
fishzebby wrote:
I think it's bone cancer, not breast cancer. Did I hear it wrong?

It's breast cancer: a recurrence, now in her bones., ie metastatic.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
It is pretty terrible. I can't even imagine how difficult it is. Crying or Very sad
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
So horrible. Very sad!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I feel very sorry for her.I heard it's in her bones.Hopefully with chemo and other medicine they can contain it. Crying or Very sad
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
i'm so sad! Crying or Very sad
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Also sad how they're getting attacked for not dropping everything now that she's had a recurrence.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
You can bet Hillary would be raked over the coals if it were Bill with incurable cancer and she didn't abandon her campaign.

I was really disappointed in John Edwards' language about continuing to run, vaguely implying that changing his course would have had some analogy to "cowering in the corner". No, changing your course for your wife's illness would have been a statement about your priorities. His wife has made statements implying that part of their decision to continue involved tremendous guilt on her part (if he dropped the campaign). I shudder to imagine these ideas seeping into or being reinforced in the brains of the American populace.

But for Edwards, who made his fortune by casting the medical patient as some sort of idealized victim, to suddenly turn around use such judgmental language about anyone buckling under the strain of illness or family illness, or making sacrifices or altering their life goals because of it, is hugely disappointing to me -- I had previously been a big fan of his for certain reasons (even fantasizing an Edwards/Obama ticket).

It is indeed sad news about Elizabeth. For me, there is a big difference between a breast cancer "survivor", esp. w/o metastases, and a person in her present situation.
linda123
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Ladies

If there is anything we can learn from this it is do get those mammograms when we are supposed to. As bright as she is I remember hearing that she did NOT do that, and that may have saved her.

Linda
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I don't want to say much about this, because it is such a completely personal life event. I am only qualified to speak on my own life's events.

Each person, when told they have cancer, deals with it in their own personal way, in the best way they know how/see fit. We are all wired differently, can not be lumped into "cancer patient" as if that then describes us to a tee. We are so much more. We are our entire life's experiences; we are also hopes and dreams and wishes and thoughts. We don't change; we continue to live out our destiny as best we know how, in spite of, or along with, the life changing diagnosis.

So, that's why I wouldn't judge anything about the way anyone deals with their diagnosis. I am neutral, and I have shared and seen many diagnosis. We each live true to ourselves, no one else. It's probably difficult at best to deal with/live with this issue in the public eye. I guess it's one of those instances where the public plain and simply doesn't matter. People all have opinions. When it comes down to living out your life, it very clearly becomes your choice and no one else's, and we take everything that is important to us into account. It's completely individual, therefore, all decisions are equal. This is just my viewpoint.

With regard to mammograms, yes, please, have yours done in a timely fashion. The best "cure" is early detection. All tools are helpful, and so, I can't stress enough to do self breast exam. I will say it a million times if it will help someone start doing SBE regularly. It saved my life, where the mammo said "no abnormalities." And, it was a diagnostic mammogram. Never place your faith completely in any medical technology. It's advancing, for sure, but it is still an imperfect science with a good dose of art thrown in. Never never never underestimate the power of your own human touch. There is NO substitute for it. I never thought self breast exam was worth much, and I did it sporadically at best. I also thought I'd never feel anything anyway, being well endowed. Well, I did find a tiny lump, did have it checked. Even doc said it did not feel characteristic cancer. Mammogram said "no abnormalities." A couple months later, it was slightly larger. Needle biopsy showed I had the most aggressive breast cancer, and it had spread to lymph nodes. Never underestimate your own touch.

I just do my best to put out positive thoughts to all who face this news. We do the best we can. During life, all of us have our difficulties to face. I pray that we may all know grace.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
DITTO CEDAR'S SELF-EXAM STATEMENTS.

MAMMOGRAMS CAN MISS THINGS.

cedar,
I'm awfully sorry about your lymph nodes and experience. I had a somewhat similar experience to yours, MINUS the spread to/through the lymph nodes (as far as my dissection indicated). I remember having really bad PMS (started my period hours after the surgery), and bursting out crying some time after my good news, thinking about the people who got different news than what I did.
Like you, I had a mammo that did not clearly indiocate anything. I later got a sonogram from a technician who casually announced to me that my lump was a benign growth. After my fine needle aspiration, a bunch of doctors came into the little room looking very grave, and yet no one would tell me I had cancer, and I had no clue I might, after having been put at ease by the sonogram technician. I didn't learn the reality until a week after my "surgical biopsy" at which the doctor carved a lot of extra flesh out of me. I was totally unprepared for the news, and for the disfigurement the surgery caused. I might also have been spared the extra surgery for the lymph node dissection if I'd had a more concrete diagnosis before my "biopsy" and done my own research about the standard of care.
Long story short -- if I had been doing self-exams, I might have caught something earlier and perhaps known more going in and been spared some of the events in my own story. I was NEVER doing self-exam -- I was lumpy and variable all the time, but more importantly generally undisciplined and only 36 with no family history. I detected the thing because I started to feel pain there.

I do think that some of the adavantage of early detection is an illusion and over-hyped, but there is no denying the difference it must make in terms of metastasis or no metastasis, or size of tumor, if one is talking about a large span of time.

cedar, you post is so carefully worded, it reads like perhaps you thought someone (me?) might take it as a criticism. I am certainly glad that Edwards is still running, and completely understand the decision, but I was upset and put off by the way he spoke about it -- I also would not have minded so much Elizabeth speaking in terms of guilt over depriving the US of its best possible leader in 2008, rather than guilt over depriving her husband of this "opportunity". I'm actually in agreement with you about judging the way others cope with this diagnosis, though probably not as free of judgment as you. (I am a very judgmental person about some specific things...)
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
btw, during my time on estrogen blockade (in my case, goserelin + tamoxifen/raloxifene), I had AMAZING SKIN!!! lol

(it was the suppression of testosterone -- a side effect of the goserelin, plus the effects of the tamoxifen or raloxifene -- plus maybe my weight gain at that time)
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ali, I understand how you felt, and I am happy for your good news. We each know when we're waiting for the news, it can be good news or bad. In my gut, I felt I would get bad news but I would live. So far, so good! My mother had died at age 62, within 6 months of her breast cancer diagnosis. So, when I was diagnosed, all I knew was: you get cancer, you die.

My husband and I are not shy people! We got so busy immediately asking questions, making calls, etc etc etc. At the time, I was fortunate to be part of a cutting edge new technology in determining extent of lymph node involvement. Now, it is standard of care, and women (and small % of men) don't have to be disfigured in the lymph node detection process. I feel happy that I could help science learn and advance in that arena, by participating in cutting edge stuff. Same with my chemo. I had Xtreme chemo as part of a clinical trial. Knocked me down good. But, my group has had 17% less recurrence. I'm happy I could help with research so we can know more.

I thank you for thinking my post was carefully worded. I always try to think about what I post carefully, because in the online arena, we don't have the benefit of eye contact or visual cues. It is always my intention to do no harm. I am a judgemental person (on the one hand, not so pleased to say so. on the other hand, the world has room for all of us.) I guess, for me, I've learned to be gentle on some things. Trust me, in real life, I go toe-to-toe and am more in-your-face than the average person. A chat with me can feel like an inquisition. I guess we're all learning as we go. In real life, I am adamant about many things. I can be hot. I can be stubborn. And that's okay. Just let me be who I am in my most healthy manner. I can have the temperement of Scarlett O' Hara. Hopefully, I'm a kinder, more thoughtful version! I know people have feelings and I do not stand in their shoes or see through their eyes. I just do the best I can do. In cyber world, I have no interest in being engaged in misunderstandings or much less arguments, with people I would not know if I passed on the street. I intend to spend no energy on those things; it seems surreal to me. I can get plenty of that in my everyday real life, if I desire. So, my intention is always complete honesty, and no harm. I hope I have understood your post, and I apologize if I missed anything.

My skin looked quite nice shortly after chemo, with all of those fresh cells. Side note (dang this is long): during chemo, I did a 10K for Halloween. Everybody wore costumes. I was Uncle Fester. Bald, very dark circles under eyes, yellowish skintone. I needed NO makeup for the part, and I scared a little boy! He pointed at me, and said, "Mommy, HE'S scarey!" Brother. Rolling Eyes

Very best to you.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
OMG cedar, LOL. (the Halloween story)

(Sorry... Embarassed)
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, it was meant to be funny! Yep, truth is funnier than fiction sometimes. And leave it to a little kid! Laughing
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
I don't want to say much about this, because it is such a completely personal life event. I am only qualified to speak on my own life's events.

Each person, when told they have cancer, deals with it in their own personal way, in the best way they know how/see fit. We are all wired differently, can not be lumped into "cancer patient" as if that then describes us to a tee. We are so much more. We are our entire life's experiences; we are also hopes and dreams and wishes and thoughts. We don't change; we continue to live out our destiny as best we know how, in spite of, or along with, the life changing diagnosis.

So, that's why I wouldn't judge anything about the way anyone deals with their diagnosis. I am neutral, and I have shared and seen many diagnosis. We each live true to ourselves, no one else. It's probably difficult at best to deal with/live with this issue in the public eye. I guess it's one of those instances where the public plain and simply doesn't matter. People all have opinions. When it comes down to living out your life, it very clearly becomes your choice and no one else's, and we take everything that is important to us into account. It's completely individual, therefore, all decisions are equal. This is just my viewpoint.

With regard to mammograms, yes, please, have yours done in a timely fashion. The best "cure" is early detection. All tools are helpful, and so, I can't stress enough to do self breast exam. I will say it a million times if it will help someone start doing SBE regularly. It saved my life, where the mammo said "no abnormalities." And, it was a diagnostic mammogram. Never place your faith completely in any medical technology. It's advancing, for sure, but it is still an imperfect science with a good dose of art thrown in. Never never never underestimate the power of your own human touch. There is NO substitute for it. I never thought self breast exam was worth much, and I did it sporadically at best. I also thought I'd never feel anything anyway, being well endowed. Well, I did find a tiny lump, did have it checked. Even doc said it did not feel characteristic cancer. Mammogram said "no abnormalities." A couple months later, it was slightly larger. Needle biopsy showed I had the most aggressive breast cancer, and it had spread to lymph nodes. Never underestimate your own touch.

I just do my best to put out positive thoughts to all who face this news. We do the best we can. During life, all of us have our difficulties to face. I pray that we may all know grace.

wonderfully said. thank you.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
She has 3 children, and 2 are under the age of 8. If I were her, I'd fight like hell too! I'm sending good thoughts to her and her family!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |