Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Can AHA/retinol etc be used with Vit C?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone... Smile

Now that I have some knowledge of Vit C serums and hydrating gels (thanks to you guys!!)...perhaps I should learn more about the AHA's and retinol type things people rave about....

What are they, what do they do, which are the 'best' brands to go for...and can they be used with a Vit C serum?

Thanks for all your wisdom...

Niki
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
They can but use them at opposite times of the day. For example, use your C serum in the morning and your AHA/BHA product in the evening. Two AHA/BHA products that I love are Cellex-c's Betaplex line smoother and new complexion cream.

Liz
Mabsy

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't use vit C and retinol together - but I agree with what Liz says. Vit C in the morning and retinol at night should be fine.

I really like the Vivier serums because they don't feel as drying on my skin as the Cellex-C and Skinceuticals. I'm sure it's a matter of personal experience and preference though. By the way, Skinceuticals now makes a vit C+AHA serum all in one Wink

Btw, AHAs (Glycolic Acid is one of the most common ones) basically work to exfoliate your skin and also to lighten skin discoloration and scar marks. I think they're also supposed to do something that makes your skin retain moisture longer but I'm not sure how accurate that info is.

Mabsy
morelia

Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I've actually been wondering the same thing - about coming Vit C, AHA and Retinol. My doctor prescribed Differin (a type of retinol treatment) for me to use at night. I'd already been using an AHA at night. She said I could use both, which surprised me. So far I have not tried both AHA and retinol at the same time because I'm worried about skin irritation. I've been using the Differin on my forehead and the AHA everywhere else. I have not experienced any irritation so far.

What I'm thinking of doing next is alternating - using the AHA all over my face one night and the Differin all over my face the next night, to see how that goes. And I just ordered a Vit C serum to use in the a.m.

Anyone try anything like this? Or has anyone tried Vit C in the a.m., and BOTH AHA and a retinol product at night??
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I have done that. It really is very individual. If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't have sensitive skin, and I have never had a problem. I used retin-A Micro .1% with Cellex-c new complexion cream which has 10% AHA at night. I also use SkinCeuticals serum 20 in the morning. I just never recommend using them together because so many people have issues with irritation.

I have also started alternating nights between the retinA and cellex-c's line smoother (15% AHA) I really only alternate because i didn't feel that I needed to use the retin A every night anymore.

I hope this helps.

Liz
morelia

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Abejita!

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful. I wanted to hear from someone who has actually tried what I'm considering and I'm glad to hear that you did not get irritated.

The area under my eyes seems to be the only sensitive area on my face and I don't plan on using it there so the combination might be fine for me too. I may just start out alternating and see what happens. I'll give it a little more thought.

Thanks again!
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for your help!

If AHA's help exfoliate the skin what does retinol do? My problem is that though I have dry skin I have numerous tiny skin coloured 'pimples' on both cheeks. They are not whiteheads or blackheads and from a distance are not very visible. I have started to use the Vit C serum (15% SkinCeauticals) and the B5 hydrating gel but I guess its too early to tell any difference. Is there anything else I should be using that might help? Sometimes I wonder what skin type I actually have!! Confused Confused

All help much appreiciated!
Thank you Smile
morelia

Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita,

My doctor prescribed the retinol product for minor breakouts - whiteheads and some basic "pimples" i guess you'd say. I have only been using it for 3 1/2 weeks and it is supposed to take 6-8 weeks to see a difference. I've heard retinol products are good for preventing and diminishing fine wrinkles. I believe it is just another type of exfoliator but maybe someone else could elaborate on that.

I often wonder what type of skin I have too! I get a lot of whiteheads, even have one under my eye in a sensitive area that I'm not sure what to do with!

Good luck!
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Morelia! Smile
I'll let you know how I get on....
Take care.... Smile
Niki
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |