Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Concealer, I don't get it
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Linda101
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I get that green covers the red spots, tan covers the sunspots and yellow covers everything the other two don't. But, what covers the splotches of green and yellow that now cover my face? I apparently am not a good blender, as all I manage to do is wipe it off and the underneath shows again.

I've had the best luck with putting a bit of foundation on a small brush and just dotting it over the green and yellow spots; but I find even that seems to soon show the spots I was trying to cover back up to the top.

So, is there some trick I'm missing. I can't see just putting the concealers on and leaving the color casts they show, that doesn't look good either.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Linda
havana8

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
bump! Very Happy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Patience Havana! Smile

I suspect you are over using the product and trying to get your skin to look totally even coloured using the concealer. I tend to use only the tiniest amount on really bad areas and then apply foundation over the top.

You have to remember that skin is a natural thing and it does vary in colour. The only faces that have totally uniform colour are plastic dolls and airbrushed models

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have had great success using Cargo's "One-Base", which is a concealer and foundation in one! I have a good color match, and put a small amount on the top of my hand using the foam wand in the tube and using a brush I first cover areas that need a concealer, and then, if I need more coverage I just continue using it as a foundation (lightly, of course). After my blush, a spritz or two of Avene Thermal Water and I look as good as I'm going to on any given day!

This product comes in a small tube (0.6 oz), but it feels like I've had it forever! (I guess I use it more as a concealer than foundation...)

5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guapagirl, while it is possible I'm trying to use to much I really do try to use the smallest amount. Not trying to make my face even, just trying to get rid of the red spiders, I don't even worry much about the brown spots (just a few that stand out the most). I just dab the green stick on the red spots, but unfortunately they are all over (mostly the nose and upper check area) and I end up looking like a leapord with spots.

I will try using less
Linda
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
If you ever figure it out, Linda, please let me know. I finally gave up trying. Very Happy

Ari

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
me too! Very Happy
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that you are probably using too much product. I used to use lavender/purple to cover the yellowness. It worked very well but the purple concealer never looked really purple on my face. So, there was no issues with blending...IMO

I used Make-Up-Forever ones

5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Wild Cat, don't know that I've seen a purple one, will have to go looking.

My last try earlier this evening did work pretty well. I put the concealor on first (clean and moisturizer only)on the red spots---just a little on each spot. Then using a lipstick brush dipped in light liquid foundation I just dapped over the green spots. Then brushed on powder foundation on my whole face, but went very lightly over the areas that had concealor. Then blush over that. Only had one spot on the edge of my nose that I could still see red, I think this will be a difficult spot to cover no matter what just because of where it is.

It did look the best I've done so far, and has lasted the longest also.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Linda101 wrote:
... what covers the splotches of green and yellow that now cover my face?

You cover the green/yellow concealer with a concealer that matches your skin tone. Even better, if you can find a concealer in your skin tone (one or two shades lighter than your skin) that is also heavy enough to cover the imperfections you're trying to hide to begin with, you can skip the green and yellow and lavendar concealers altogether.

What sort of brush are you using to apply the concealer? Try this one: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/kevynaucoin_1940_759869

Expensive? Yes. But soooo worth it. It's available at kevynaucoin.com or maybe you can find a similar one somewhere. The key is to get a small tip for precision. It also allows you to use a light touch, which helps keep you from the vicious and maddening cycle of applying and accidentally wiping off your concealer. I never used to think brushes made much difference, but now I know they work so much better than your fingers can.

You need to know your skin tone (pink, yellow, olive, etc) and depth (dark, medium, light). Maybe stop by a Sephora and ask someone to help you determine them.

As far as brands, Becca Cosmetics is my FAVORITE! And I'm VERY hard to match (deep goldeny-olive). The brand covers small areas well and matches perfectly for me.

Good luck!
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I have the same questions!
Linda101
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved, Thank you very much; that was very informative. The brush I use is a bit larger, I will look for a smaller one. I will need to get a professional opion on my skin tone/color (another question I know I need to figure out).

To be honest, I am makeup challanged. 20 years ago, when I was pregnant with my twin daughters I figured out I could sleep 1/2 hr longer if I stopped wearing makeup-- never went back to it. Well, now I need help (besides cosmetic surgery) and it's like reinvinting the wheel. Products are different, and of course so is my skin LOL

Thanks again
Linda
shelliegal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
me too! i'm intimidated by those colors! i'm not even sure where to begin or if i want them on my face. lol
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Most make-up artists recommend applying concealer ON TOP of foundation, then blend, blend, blend. Havind said that, I've never had much luck with concealer either and I've tried so many different products. At the moment I'm using Supercop X2 to try and get rid of some raised bumps and my skin looks a complete mess -lots of red splotches. I've had the most success in covering them up by using a little MMU applied with a damp brush.

If its red capillaries you're worried about, I'd recommend biting the bullet and getting them zapped with IPL.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
You know what Linda? I wouldn't even bother with all those colors. Theres lots of good foundations that will cover just as well. Try Morgen Schick's Hide and Highlight compact. Its a set of 3 concealers (pure pigment)with concealing brush. Covers very well. Unfortunately though you can only get her products on line on her website atwww.morgenschick.com or on ebay.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
Oh! I have the same questions!

which questions exactly Helen? No one can answer you if you are not more specific than 'me too' and posts like the one above. Please try and put more information in your posts! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
You know what Linda? I wouldn't even bother with all those colors. Theres lots of good foundations that will cover just as well. Try Morgen Schick's Hide and Highlight compact. Its a set of 3 concealers (pure pigment)with concealing brush. Covers very well. Unfortunately though you can only get her products on line on her website atwww.morgenschick.com or on ebay.

I think you can also get her products at the Canadian Shopping Channel..(susie correct me if I'm wrong..)
Pudoodles
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:13 am      Reply with quote
One other consideration regarding concealer is that the very area that you want to cover may be irritated by the concealer and instead of covering it, the concealer makes the blemish grow! I've had that happen.

One other comment is that I work with a woman who had quite severe acne as a teen (she's now in her early 30's), and is always lamenting about how bad her skin looks, especially when she has a few breakouts. What she doesn't realize, and I believe it holds true more often than not, NO ONE NOTICES! I surely don't when sitting across from her.

5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
lol - yes are you sure you really need all those concealers? I tried the different coloured ones as well and couldn't get them to work.

Now, I don't even use foundation - I just use a concealer that matches my skin tone to brighten up under my eyes and around my nose. I like Christian Dior Hydrating concealer -- it covers well and stays put, and the tube lasts a long time.

My skin is not perfect, but I think it looks a lot better now that I'm using less makeup.
Linda101
5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for the advice, I will be looking into several of the ideas.

Smoky1, you are most likely correct, even my hubby complains when I try to get rid of too many of the flaws (but I think he just doesn't want to look that much older than me LOL). What is driving me is hubby and I are starting a photography company (to help us in retirement) and right now I am his main model. I never really paid attention to the flaws until I look at the pictures and while photoshop is the next best thing to Carter's Pills, I'd prefer he not have to use it much.

Someone suggested getting the broken caps zapped which may be the alternative, but until I can get insurance to pay for it is not a feasible alternative for now.

I'm not giving up and not trying to have the perfect complexion either, at 52 there are supposed to be signs of age and I'm ok with that. Thanks again,
Linda
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

I think you can also get her products at the Canadian Shopping Channel..(susie correct me if I'm wrong..)
Pudoodles
Yes Pudoodles thats right! I didn't mention tsc just in case Linda is not Canadian. The majority here are from the U.S and Europe and cannot order from tsc. Thanks for mentioning tsc though. Love to shop there!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:
One other comment is that I work with a woman who had quite severe acne as a teen (she's now in her early 30's), and is always lamenting about how bad her skin looks, especially when she has a few breakouts. What she doesn't realize, and I believe it holds true more often than not, NO ONE NOTICES! I surely don't when sitting across from her.

wave i could very easily be that woman! it's almost reflex after sooooo many years of horrid skin. the thing is -- no one really notices whereas i can be a bit obsessive (getting much better about this, thank you!).

i also whole-heartedly agree with amita that many times my skin looks much with less.... as far as i'm concerned those coloured concealers are a crock of ----. if you're really concerned about the pictures and such, there are some wonderful foundations out there like SK-II AirTouch that kind of photoshops your face in real life, as many have noted, some of the best concealers can actually be just a touch more foundation....
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with la vie en rose--colored concealers are basically a waste of time. What has worked best for me is to find a heavily-pigmented concealer that is a good match for your skin (or maybe a shade lighter) and has the right consistency so I can apply it in thin layers (a creamy liquid works best for me). I use Make Up For Ever's Full Coverage concealer and it covers up my red spots, blue spots (undereye circles) dark spots, etc. and looks more natural than having bits of green and violet here and there. I've also liked Almay's Amazing Lasting concealer, but it's been discontinued.

I also apply my concealer after foundation (I use mineral makeup). I use a lipstick brush for better precision when covering up acne marks and small blemishes and a taklon concealer brush for larger areas. I then sweep on a thin layer of face powder to set the concealer, and lightly buff the surface with a skunk/fiber optic brush (I use the Prescriptives bronzer brush). Then spritz on Caudalie's Grape Water to take away the powdery look.

5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Some really great ideas, thank you. I am going to look for the right color to match my skin tone rather than all the different colors; makes perfect sense to me. I'm trying mineral foundation for everyday use, but it won't work for photos, the titiam dixoide washes the color out under lights and it looks like a bad "casper" remake LOL.
I've not found the "perfect" photo compatable foundation yet, but when I do I can scratch the concealor off my list.

Boy, do I love this board, so many helpful friendly people. Thank you again,
Linda
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, again -

For photos, I've heard MUAs often use Cinema Secrets, RCMA and Joe Blasco. They also advise NOT using foundations that contain titanium dioxide for photos.

I would suggest asking which foundations are best for photos on the forums at kevynaucoin.com, but they are down for updates for a few MONTHS I think.

But you might look into kevyn aucoin's foundations too. They also double as concealers.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |