Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

When do you give up on a product?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm really puzzled about what my skin likes! Last fall, I decided that I wanted to go more holistic and less chemical in my skincare. I bought the Dr. H sample set and thought WOW. My skin appeared clearer and the only product that bothered me was the moisturizing day cream. I bought full sizes of the CC, CM, quince and rose creams.

First, I started having a reaction to the Cleansing Milk (tiny bumps around and under my nose). So, I stopped that and gave it away.

Now, I'm not sure but the Cleansing Cream seems to be doing the same thing under my nose - or is it the toner. ARGGGHHH. It is so hard trying to find out what is causing the problems. I had really hoped that Dr. H products would be good for me; I've heard enough good things about them on this forum.

And yet, the Cleansing Cream really makes those flakies go away, and my skin just feels more moisturized.

And, what does 'congestion' mean? Does that mean that your pores in your troublesome areas are full of gunk? Does it mean breakouts? Does congestionless (if that's a word!) mean your pores are totally empty and clean? I wonder if I have ever had clean pores.....

I'm seriously contemplating changing my products AGAIN. But, cost is a factor and while I don't get raging breakouts from Dr. H, it just may not be the HG that I was seeking.

How do you deal with this yourself? Looking for the HG is turning out to be an expensive process...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I find that my skin changes from season to season - and I constantly 'readjust' my skincare routine. I also find that I have to use a product for at least 1-2 months before I can say 'it works' or 'it doesn't work'. So oftentimes, small samples aren't enough for me to judge.

It's frustrating when you're trying to find the 'perfect' routine.

Maybe take a look at the ingredients - and do a little research on them. Perhaps you'll be able to figure out what is causing the problem & then avoid products with those ingredients in the future?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
smoky1, I hate to tell you this but I had pretty much the same problems with Dr. H products. I wanted to make a switch to something more holistic, and I tried a few Dr. H products and liked them so I jumped in with both feet and started using all of their products, and even as my skin got worse and worse I just didn't want to give up. Well, I ended up having to see a dermatologist--- my whole face was sooo clogged and congested, and just covered in bumps. My derm told me that Dr. H products were just too rich for my skin and that I should stop using them ASAP. However, even after I stopped using them it took me MONTHS to get my pores clear again--- so frustrating! I had a lot of luck using Zenbiotic products to detox and unclog my face--- they did not cause any new clogs, and they helped me to slowly but surely get my skin back to normal. I then switched over to Naturderm's products, and I've had great skin ever since. So, the Dr. H products may just be too rich for you too--- just a thought.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
It's reassuring to hear that someone else experienced the same thing as me! But, I see Manslayerliz's age is more than half of mine, so I may have totally different requirements for skincare! While I do react to products that are too rich (get milia very quickly), my skin is usually dry. Which is why Dr. H seemed a good fit when I first thought about using it. I need some rich products, but not too rich!

I guess ordering samples more than once would give the skin more time to react if it was going to!

I've looked at these ingredients many times trying to pinpoint the trouble, and while I don't think of Paula Begouin as the HG spokeswoman for skincare, she has indicated that essential oils can sometimes be problematic for some skin.

I guess I will be spending more time on the forums reading about other products and doing my research for my next HG!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Of course, everyone is different - but I've not come across anyone who had congested pores/blackheads/whiteheads due to essential oils. If one is going to react to EOs, it's usually in the form of irritation (a rash, redness, etc.).

Normally, one would expect 'heavier' ingredients to cause those issues - like heavier oils, butter, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
This happens to me fairly often.Your right, it's very expensive to keep buying different products.What I started to do is order travel sets,and ask for samples.
I just had the same problem as you,when I used a travel set of Dermalogica.My face developed hives. Now if I order things, I only use one product at a time.So I'll know what's causing the problem.Good luck.
displaced
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I generally stay away from Lancome products- they dry out my skin like crazy.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Of course, everyone is different - but I've not come across anyone who had congested pores/blackheads/whiteheads due to essential oils. If one is going to react to EOs, it's usually in the form of irritation (a rash, redness, etc.).

Normally, one would expect 'heavier' ingredients to cause those issues - like heavier oils, butter, etc.

I believe I have both congestion and irritation! Which I guess can be explained by the Dr. H essential oils which appear to be in all the products, although at the end of the list of ingredients, and then the creams like quince, rose, shea, olive, peanut, etc. which could be causing the congestion.

Aside from the Dr. H products, I used a sample of MD Formulations Glycolic cleanser (don't know if it was for sensitive skin), and my pores were so minimized that I almost couldn't believe it. But, I also experienced extreme dryness. Couldn't use such a product more than once a week! Or, would my skin get used to it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I would tend to think it was the oils like shea, olive, & peanut that would be more likely to lead to congestion. I could never use those oils on my face - they're all way too heavy.

I'm not sure of the ingredients in the glycolic cleanser - but my personal belief about acids (AHA & BHA) is that if they aren't left on the skin for at least a short period of time (depending upon your skin & the strength of the acid), they aren't doing anything anyway. If you have glycolic acid or salicylic acid in a cleanser, it's only on your skin for a minute or two, then rinsed away - it doesn't have time to 'do' anything. So if you noticed a difference in your pores - it might have just been due to some other harsh ingredients making the skin feel tight.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
If this product make me allergenic, I will stop immediately!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I think generally you have to give a new product at least 4 weeks time before you can really tell what it does for you. So if you are ordering samples you may want to order enough for a 4-week usage? As for irratations, sometimes it does not show right away. But if that occurs you should stop right away until your skin calms down and reintroduce the product. And if irratation happens again then it should definitely be tossed away.
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:40 am      Reply with quote
At least 28 days.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've got PSF samples on the way, and am excited about trying something different. As it is, I'm almost out of the Dr.H rose and quince creams so it's good timing!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
When broke out, stopped immediately. When I try to find out it gets more oily than usual, immediately gave up.

If nothing happen like water, try to continue a week and then use on legs/hands.

When I feel it makes sensitive after 2-3 weeks usages, give up.
mystixx
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:11 am      Reply with quote
I am quite bad at this but according to the derm that I went to when I got this rash on my face, he said to use a product for 2 weeks before you decide if it is good for you. The problem with me is I don't know how to really keep track of what is good and what is bad. To me good is not breaking me out. I really can't see the difference like my skin glows or what so ever but my beauticians says that after using their products my skin became brighter. I wonder how true is that, since I am contributing to her sales and will be if she says it's good.

But so far, only 1 product broke me out but that a loose powder, only 2 times of using it. I got rough patches on my face. eczema i think. so i just left it aside now.
wickawer
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I think depending on the product and your skin type the reaction time changes, some products i will use and after about 2 uses i know it is not for my skin but other things you can use for ages and then it reacts, of course this could be down to hormones, stress, environment, diet.
I had a Bliss Spa cataloge come through the other day and under the returns policy it says the will only accept a product back if it is under 25% used, it says that scientific research shows that most reactions occur within the first 25% of usage. I don't know if that is correct but thats what they say anyway.
Confused
havana8

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
If it makes me itch, or red, or I get excema or a lot of breakouts that seem to stay, I will not use it again. If it is doing nothing wow or significant right away, I will *try* to use it for at least a couple of weeks. If still nothing, it goes into the cosmetic graveyard under my sink. Laughing (or I give it to my BF to use. Laughing)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |