Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

No Cure for KP on Legs?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
At least I think this is what it is. Although not so common on the legs, it is very similar to the descriptions of KP on people's arms. I know there have been other posts on this, but I have also read on medical sites about it that it is not curable and can only be lessened. I was wondering if there are any updates from people trying to get rid of theirs if you were successful or found any new things that works?

It is from the middle of my thighs all the way down to my ankles. The scars on my legs are bad enough, but with this as well I just never wear anything that shows my legs anymore. This has made it worse of course since they get no sun anymore. I always only wear pants, long skirts, or with boots or nylons etc. I am so sick of it though and summer is coming. I want to wear shorts and skirts again and feel confident doing so. I have very little hair on my legs so I don't shave that often. However with the talk about shaving the face and it's exfoliating benefits, would shaving my legs daily even if there is no hair help?
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried BHA and AHA? They usually work well for controlling the red bumps. Some people find that BHA is enough. I know a lot of people who use a BHA cream & just apply it daily to keep the KP under control. But you can certainly use a liquid, too - the same kind you use on your face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever tried a lactic acid lotion? They are often suggested for KP... helped my arms over time, but I haven't tried it on my legs. I use AmLactin, which is 12% lactic acid.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm. No I haven't tried these. I'm into using pretty much all organic/natural products and haven't seen any that contained BHA/AHA for the body. I wonder if I just bought BHA/AHA powder and put it in a lotion, what % I would need to use for this?

What about skin brushing? What do you use in the shower? Any exfoliating gloves or exfoliating wash cloths? Usually what happens right after I exfoliate is my legs end up looking and feeling really red and irritated. But I guess over time it would help. I'm so jealous looking at these models with tan, super smooth and silky legs.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Adding it to a lotion is probably not going to work well. BHA/AHA needs a certain pH in order to be able to 'perform', so unless you make your own lotion & keep the pH around 3.4 or less, it would just be a waste of the BHA/AHA.

Manual exfoliation can help - but as you noted, there is a fine line between helpful exfoliation & irritating exfoliation. As long as you don't rub too hard, or too long, it can be helpful. I think most people find that they also need a BHA/AHA product in addition to the gentle manual exfoliation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I wonder if that is even what it is. Since I have never seen it mentioned anywhere occuring on the bottom legs. And they are not raised at all, just visual brownish red dots.

"Sometimes keratosis pilaris also affects the torso, back, buttocks and, in less common forms, the face and eyebrows as well."

I have yet to see it mentioned that it effects the legs below the knees. And I've never had anything like it anywhere else on my body or my arms.

I'm going to at least buy the skin brush and try shaving daily. And maybe increase my EFA and Vitamin A intake even more so.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I get these, too, on my legs. I'll try the BHA solution to see if it helps.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
And they are not raised at all, just visual brownish red dots.

Hmmm...doesn't really sound like KP...

Are the dots in the hair follicles?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure. There is hair growing out of some of them (I need to shave), but most of them have no noticable hair. They are bigger then the hair follicles, and when I press and massage hard on an area they fade away for a few seconds and then return. Maybe it's lack of circulation. I don't know really.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Since I started using seabuckthorn soap from seabuckthorn.com, the KP on my arms has cleared up dramatically. It's the Seabuckthorn Therapeutic Berry Bar (they have several soap bars). I use it on my face, too.
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I got KP on my arms and legs too. The dermatologist said that the chemical exfoliation like AHA, BHA, Retinol can help. Recently, I start to use a facial bar instead of the body shower lotion in the shower with the Dermalogica ultimate buffing cloth. I find that the problem area becomes much smoother.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
ive had kp all my life and didnt know it was a skin condition until recently!
i found this forum to be VERY helpful, particularly this thread:

http://www.keratosispilaris.org/showthread.php?p=25423#post25423

basis is that kp is caused by skin sensitivity/allergies to stuff we eat.. and that eating macrobiotically would clear up most of these problems. im trying it myself and have noticed my skin looks better/not as many bumps when i stay away from wheat/dairy products... but anyway.. that thread is a start Smile
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Seabuckthorn soap. That's interesting! I've been wanting to get more Seabuckthorn oil. I've never used it on my body, just on my face.

Thanks smqueen for that link. Wow. That's a ton of information over there about this. I never knew it was a skin condition either until I read about it on EDS. The redness being inflammation makes a lot of sense and that would explain why the color fades when touched. I just wasn't sure what causes that inflammation, if it is slow cell turnover or clogged hair follicles etc. That's the first time I heard about it being related to diet.

I would like to get tested for sensitivities at some point. I just don't know what the best test is for that. And then it makes me think if it is caused by food sensitivities, doesn't everyone have some? Are the people who don't have KP not sensitive to anything? That doesn't really make sense. A lot of people eat horribly and have beautiful skin. I wouldn't mind trying anything like that though for a while, just kind of worried about if the test is wrong and how limited it would make my diet. My diet is already so limited as it is. If something made me limit it extremely even further, I know I wouldn't go back to any of the things I've already given up, so I'd have very little to eat and variety. I haven't eaten anything with dairy in over 10 years, and I eat very little wheat and soy. No cane sugar, no coffee, no alcohol, etc.

I'll look further over there and do some more research. I had never heard of oil pulling before. Sounds very interesting. I'm reading a site on it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |