Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
::Review:: Vernacular Skinworks TRANSLUCENT SILK FACE DUST
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Vernacular Skinworks' Silk Dust for almost a year now. I think it's about time to rave about a product that I really love.. Vernacular was the first silk dust I've ever tried, and NOTHING can compare to this!! The powder is EXTRA FINE, way FINER than Alima's finishing powder!! It's made of real silk powder, added with some other goodies, unlike Jurlique Silk Dust, which doesn't have silk powder in it at all, although I can't compare the two because I've never used Jurlique's Silk Dust before. Vernacular Skinworks Silk Dust is very white in color, and is very translucent when applied on the skin. The texture is EXTREMELY FINE, just like dust. What is best about this is that it keeps my face oil-free all day, unlike Alima's Finishing Powder which only keeps me oil-free for about 3 hours and then the powder melts off my face, YUCK! I mixed the silk dust with my favorite Alima Finishing Powder(sandstone), and this would give me a beautiful focus look, and oil-free all day also. If you are looking for an alternative for your Jurlique Silk Dust, I recommend giving Vernacular Silk Dust a try!! I can't tell you how much I love this stuff! Plus, it's way more afforable than Jurlique Silk Dust!! A little goes a long way! It's about 7.4grams and lasted me about six months.

Here's more info which I copied and paste from the site:

Vernacular Skinworks TRANSLUCENT SILK FACE DUST
A new generation in face powder. Light, airy, translucent all-natural face dust leaves a subtle iridescent natural glow and instantly mattifies, taking out shine. Can be used all over with a fingertip, brush, or puff, or to spot treat a stubborn shiny area like the forehead or nose. Absorbs oil and leaves no trace of itself behind. With pure silk powder as its base, it literally leaves the skin feeling like silk, velvet to the touch. Especially handy for the summer months. Noncomedogenic, appropriate for all skin types.

Texture: Pure white, EXTRA FINE like DUST!! Odorless!!

INGREDIENTS: pure silk powder, tapioca starch, colloidal oatmeal

Price: $16.75 .25oz (7.4 grams)

Rating: 5/5
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Lisa for the great review!
Have you tried any of the other VS products (ie: cleanser, etc)?

Marla

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
Thanks Lisa for the great review!
Have you tried any of the other VS products (ie: cleanser, etc)?

Marla

Hi Marla! I'm using their mild facial cleansing oil. This one is my HG also, after Laventine keeps changing their formula!!! Mad I also love their healthy face mist. That's all I've tried, and loved them all. Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I am always looking out for "silk powder" formulations that contain pure ingredients. Looks like I can add tapioca and colloidal oatmeal to my next DIY batch.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
That's awesome miranets! Smile But the powder from VS is extremely fine. I've tried other silk powder before and they were no where as fine as this one! I LOVEE IT!! Tell me how it goes when you make yours! Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if certain manufacturers, like Jurlique and this brand, actually re-mill all their powders or get it in a special cosmetic grade which is very very fine. I have tried making my own silk dust with pure silk and rice powder, though it works just as well the finish is still a bit coarser than the real silk dust. So if I buy some sort of food grade tapioca and cosmetic (bath product) grade colloidal oatmeal, it may turn out rather gritty like my own rice powder.

The silk powder I bought from From Nature With Love is an extremely fine grade, which ends up feeling a little too velvety for my liking so I have to cut it with rice powder to even the texture out.

I was also considering arrowroot powder, readily available from most supermarkets. It seems very fine, like baking soda texture but I just hope it doesn't turn out to be sticky when it comes in contact with perspiration (as arrowroot/tapioca are used as thickening agents, I'm worried they may turn to paste!)
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:34 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I don't know if certain manufacturers, like Jurlique and this brand, actually re-mill all their powders or get it in a special cosmetic grade which is very very fine. I have tried making my own silk dust with pure silk and rice powder, though it works just as well the finish is still a bit coarser than the real silk dust. So if I buy some sort of food grade tapioca and cosmetic (bath product) grade colloidal oatmeal, it may turn out rather gritty like my own rice powder.

The silk powder I bought from From Nature With Love is an extremely fine grade, which ends up feeling a little too velvety for my liking so I have to cut it with rice powder to even the texture out.

I was also considering arrowroot powder, readily available from most supermarkets. It seems very fine, like baking soda texture but I just hope it doesn't turn out to be sticky when it comes in contact with perspiration (as arrowroot/tapioca are used as thickening agents, I'm worried they may turn to paste!)

I think the arrowroot would be a problem for the reason you identify, especially in a humid environment.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
havana8

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:

Actually, I bought a mineral foundation powder from Evan's Garden that uses arrowroot. I did a review on it a while back. I have sensitive skin and have found it to be the most soothing, least irritating mineral makeup. The finish is quite lovely too. I've never noticed it becoming sticky in humid conditions or when perspiring.

Ingredients as posted on their website: arrowroot, brown oxide, chromium oxide green, hydrated chromium oxide green, mica (serecite), modified cornstarch, tapioca starch, titanium dioxide, ultramarine blue, ultramarine rose, ultramarine violet, yellow oxide.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20258&highlight=evans+garden
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Havana, thanks for sharing. I may add arrowroot to my next batch since it is so readily available, will share results too. Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Tapioca starch would be an alternative for someone who can't tolerate cornstarch. Smile I have some organic ones at home and the texture is very alike to cornstarch. Very fine..wonder if I can add it to my pearl powder? Think
havana8

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
hi Lisey, i don't see why not... Evan's Garden adds it to her formulation of mineral makeup.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have actually added 30% tapioca starch to my latest batch of face powder, even the regular food grade stuff is much finer than rice powder and is as smooth as silk powder (no grits like rice) - I have not experienced any "stickiness" as it has come in contact with perspiration, and when I rinsed my mixing utensils there was no slimy residue like you get with corn starch.

I think tapioca would be an ideal filler in face powders, it is ridiculously cheap and finer than rice and corn starch.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |