Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Enjoy threading? Try Epicare!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote

I posted a while back to see if anyone had used this seemingly miracle device for hair removal. Well, I had to be a guinea pig...

This device is meant to mimic the traditional threading method of hair removal, though it is only suitable for upper lip, chin, and other flat facial surfaces (not eye brows). I prefer threading over other methods of hair removal, because it gets rid of hair completely and much faster than waxing.

This device is like a long tight spring, with two covers at the ends as handles. Basically you bend the spring into an upside down U shape and roll the handles inwards while running it across the upper lip. It does take a little practice to be able to remove multiple hairs, and at the roots... Once you get the hang of the movement, you will be able to recreate the sensation and effect of having threading done.

The first time I tried I simply placed the device over my hair and started to roll, OUCH! It feels like having all your hair snared in a spring... But if you do it after a hot shower and do it FAST then the pain becomes more of an irritation feeling. You can literally pick up the tiniest hairs even if they are less than 1mm long.

I had several broken hairs from my first attempt, and as usual had a few spots a few days later. With more practice and after care, this may be the end of my visits to any beauty parlour.

The device is quite cheap, around £5, or $15USD on Ebay.
havana8

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Good review, Miranets! Thanks! I am going to have to dig this out. I know what you mean about the OUCH factor! It *really* did hurt like crazy the first time I used it so I put it away... I think I'll give it another try with your hot shower approach though.
nubajelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Can this be used on your legs, or is it too small?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
It is possible but you are probably better off to use an epilator since it would take forever to get rid of all hair.

Havana- you can also try dusting some rice/silk powder or whatever starches you have before beginning, at the parlour the ladies cover the skin with talc to reduce friction but I always end up with blemishes afterwards so I opt for a natural option.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Excuse my ignorance...but isn't this just pulling the hair out??? If so, whats the difference between this and tweezing???

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's pulling the hair out - by the roots. Tweezing only lets you pull one hair at a time, whereas this is like threading which removes patches of hair at one go, give you have the correct technique. I think you can also pull many hairs out with a tweezer when you have lots of fuzzy growth, but I don't think the finish is a as clean with this method.

If you have ever had any hair threaded, it is similar to a waxing effect, and waxing is MUCH cleaner than tweezing.

Plus tweezing only allows you to remove hairs that are of a certain length, this thing gets rid of every tiny little baby fuzzy hair anywhere.

HTH
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Yes, it's pulling the hair out - by the roots. Tweezing only lets you pull one hair at a time, whereas this is like threading which removes patches of hair at one go, give you have the correct technique. I think you can also pull many hairs out with a tweezer when you have lots of fuzzy growth, but I don't think the finish is a as clean with this method.

If you have ever had any hair threaded, it is similar to a waxing effect, and waxing is MUCH cleaner than tweezing.

Plus tweezing only allows you to remove hairs that are of a certain length, this thing gets rid of every tiny little baby fuzzy hair anywhere.

HTH

thanks!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for this, Miranets! I just ordered one because I've been wanting to go get threading done but it's such a hassle when you need the hairs out NOW. Normally, I use one of those little personal shaver things but that's also cumbersome as it only addresses what's above the skin. This is going to hurt a tad but will be worth it!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Oooh, I've been so curious about that device for sooo long! Thanks for the review!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for this posting. I have never even seen this contraption before, but what I found most interesting was your term "threading". I once watched a makeover show and the girl was getting her eyebrows done. The lady doing it had a long thread in her hands, (looked as though she was about to floss her teeth), and she then proceeded to run this thread all around the eyebrows to shape them. Is that threading? I would love to try this sometime as my eyebrows seem to have a mind of their own, and I think this would be the answer to shaping them.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested in this product and will be ordering it. It looks like it originated in the UK but you can get it in the US - the original Epicare or knockoffs...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Thanks for this posting. I have never even seen this contraption before, but what I found most interesting was your term "threading". I once watched a makeover show and the girl was getting her eyebrows done. The lady doing it had a long thread in her hands, (looked as though she was about to floss her teeth), and she then proceeded to run this thread all around the eyebrows to shape them. Is that threading? I would love to try this sometime as my eyebrows seem to have a mind of their own, and I think this would be the answer to shaping them.

Yes what you have described is threading. Until I went for a cheap $4 threading session I had NEVER had anything close to shapely brows. Threading or professional waxing is one of the best ways to get a perfect clean shape for any brow. You can go once and get the ideal shape and then go for touch ups once every few months - I find I can never maintain my brow shape with plucking alone. If they are extra detailed they will also use scissors to trim the brows afterwards too. Some places do both above and below the brow, I prefer just to keep it below since it leaves a very unnatural outline of the brows otherwise. They can literally thread anywhere on your face/body. I've seen poor girls get their hairlines threaded to lift their brow!

Just a reminder that Epicare cannot be used for the brows since you need a flat surface. It's not really designed to "shape" things, just for removing large expanses of fine hair Laughing
Sophie68

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi! Yes, I've been reading the posts abt Epicare here & finally decided to get one for myself from facialhairthreading (dot com) about 2 weeks ago. My order arrived 3 days later. The product came very well packaged with easy-to-follow instructions and the product is of superior quality. A friend of mine bought one of the copycats (located in UK - wasn't an Epicare brand) and it rusted within 1 month; and she couldn't get her money back. In the first place, she said it looked rusty and cheap anyway. Ewwww!! Can't imagined that she actually put it to her face!! I also found out that the U.S. retailer is the one who first made Epicare available online. Its definitely worth it to pay a little extra for a quality product. I do love my Epicare and wondered why it took me so long to buy one. It really is not that expensive anyway, about US$15 + shipping.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I used mine today for the first time and oh, joy, I am hair free above the lip line! It hurt like a mutha trying it before my shower so I did it afterward and though it still hurt, the pain was very much worth it. Smile I'm not a pain person so if I can do it, anyone can! It does take some getting used to but after a bit, you'll get the hang of it.

I'm really pleased with this little device because there doesn't seem to be any really decent solutions for ridding facial hair that last and don't cost a fortune. This is money well spent for a periodic clean sweep and thanks so much for the review, Miranets!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried this on their cheeks to get rid of that peach fuzz, or is it meant for the upper lip only?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I did use it there, as well. It's a little trickier getting the right angle but it works.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Scalawaggirl - I'm glad it was successful! But it's a wonder how an area of the face that's be subjected to so much pain and abuse can still be SO sensitive!!

Hmm, can I really vouch for this device to be for long lasting hair removal??? I find that the hairs at the corners of my mouth grow back much faster and longer than with threading or waxing, though the rest of the upper lip remains completely hair free.

For anyone serious about getting rid of these hairs permanently, I have tried applying 1 drop of clary sage to the treated area the day after and do so continuously up til the day of the next treatment. It does seem to seriously stunt hair growth with continued use but I'm often forgetful so I have not seen long term results.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Scalawaggirl - I'm glad it was successful! But it's a wonder how an area of the face that's be subjected to so much pain and abuse can still be SO sensitive!!

Hmm, can I really vouch for this device to be for long lasting hair removal??? I find that the hairs at the corners of my mouth grow back much faster and longer than with threading or waxing, though the rest of the upper lip remains completely hair free.

For anyone serious about getting rid of these hairs permanently, I have tried applying 1 drop of clary sage to the treated area the day after and do so continuously up til the day of the next treatment. It does seem to seriously stunt hair growth with continued use but I'm often forgetful so I have not seen long term results.

Oh, fab! Thanks for the reminder, Miranets! I have some clary sage on order and will use it for this, as well. Heck, I don't mind if the hair grows back, it's just nice to have an easy option to get rid of it for more than a day or so! As for the upper lip, my eyes were WATERING but I perservered!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I got an Epicare knockoff on Ebay and love it. I've since bought one for my aunt and a friend....

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I also got one and am enjoying it.. DH also uses it too. Very effective I must say. Laughing
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
I also got one and am enjoying it.. DH also uses it too. Very effective I must say. Laughing

Does DH use it for facial hair? I couldn't get this thing near my bf at all Laughing He was traumatised after I went crazy with the epilator on his legs Bad Grin
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Lisey wrote:

Does DH use it for facial hair? I couldn't get this thing near my bf at all Laughing He was traumatised after I went crazy with the epilator on his legs Bad Grin

Yes, he is using it on his beard and moustache, lol. He actually likes the epilator too.. but would only use it on his face.. The legs gotta hurt for your bf since he's a beginner!! Ouch! Poor boy! Laughing
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter has to tweeze the area between her eyebrows at the top of her nose. Would this work for this area?? It's not completely flat, but close to it.
Do you find that after a few weeks, you need to use it less than you would tweezing, and does the hair grows back finer?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I have tried using this around the brow area, but it is impossible, you need a large-ish area that is flat.

I do find the hair is slightly more sparse than if I use waxing or plucking. For me the hair has grown back finer but slightly longer.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 3:18 am      Reply with quote
thanks for sharing this miranets! Very Happy

iv heard about threading...and now reading ur post, im definately wanting to buy this!

for those in the UK and bought from ebay: which seller did u purchase from?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |