Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Question on differin gel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
matti_pacman
5% products discount

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi all! i am a new member to the board and i hav a burning question which i hope u guys can help me out! Smile
i had a severe case of acne (all over my chest/back/face) when i was a teenager (6yrs ago.. hehe.. getting old! Very Happy )and my derm prescribed my roaccutane/accutane as my form of treatment.
my skin was fine until last yr when i am starting to hav out breaks of acnes again! i went back to the derm, although he offered me roacutane again, i was reluctant to take it this time as my acne would probably only be classified as moderate (only on face and seldom cystic) also i had read some HORRIFYING stories on the net abt the side-effects if possibly hav.
we decided to try differin gel as an alternative and i hav been applying it everynite for last 10wks. my skin has definitely improved from it. however, i am unsure about applying it for long term.
sorry abt my LONG story, so my question is:
1)will the improvement i am getting with differin now disappear once i stop applying it? or will the improvement maintain? (not keen on applying it for the rest of my life)
2)out of curious, does undergoing the 2nd course of roaccutane increases the chances of side-effects? or vice versa? (i had a good outcome from the 1st with min. side-effects)
thanx everyone who took their time reading this LONG post, and wish everybody hav nice beautiful skin!! Very Happy =Matti
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I can answer one of your posts. Yes, the effects of the differin gel will only last as long as you are using it. It is only a topical treatment, it does not fundamentally change your skin or what is causing your acne. Long term use is considered very safe.

I have been using retin-a on and off for 15 years now. It has been one of the best things for my acne. Also, since I started using a topical vit C serum, my face has been the clearest it has ever been, so that may also be something to consider.

Personally, if the differin is working for you, I would much prefer taking that as opposed to taking another round of accutane. But, as always, you should discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Liz
matti_pacman
5% products discount

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:31 am      Reply with quote
thanx liz for ur advice! Very Happy topical vit C serum sounds good, any specific brand will u suggest?
my derm also suggested my to apply AHA 10% in the morning for my skin. the cream is a moisturising lotion with AHA solution. it suggest i should apply sun screen after using the AHA lotion.
so the question is, how long should i wait before i apply my sunscreen? i hav a neutrogena oil-free moisturizing cream with sun protection (SPF 15). should i apply the sun screen on right after AHA, or wait awhile for the skin to absorb the AHA?
i know this is a silly question but i am an newbie on skin care so input from anyone is really appreciated! Very Happy
Mabsy

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to jump in. Skinceuticals makes a vit C + AHA combo serum. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it might be less tedious than using two separate products. I think it has 10% AHA but around 12 or 15% vit C. Might be a bit strong for you if you have sensitive skin though...

Btw, I would consider sunblock essential when using AHAs and also when using vitamin C. Actually, I consider it essential regardless Laughing
matti_pacman
5% products discount

Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:01 am      Reply with quote
thanx Mabsy!
does that mean i can apply my AHA moisturizing cream with neutrogena oil-free moisturizing cream with sun protection (SPF 15)on top of each other without diminishing/affecting their effects?
btw, is differin gel and Retin-A the same thing??? Question
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Retin-A and differin are very similar, but not the same thing.

If your derm prescribed an AHA moisterizer, I would stick with that and just use a plain vit C serum. Like Mabs mentioned, it might be best to start off with 10% then you can work yourself up. Also, is there a reason that you are using two moisturizers everyday? Is the AHA moisturizer not enough or are you trying to get an SPF? I personally prefer a seperate sunscreen. Many people here love skinceuticals sunscreens, I am using Shishiedo, but anyone that feels comfortable on your face and doesn't cause you any problems with work.

Liz
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:16 am      Reply with quote
You might want to consider the timing of when you will use these products. The AHA will make your skin sensitive to sunlight as will the Differin so maybe it would be best to use them at night. Then use your C in the AM for photoaging/antioxidant/pollution protection and apply a sunscreen for physical protection from UV light. As for which sunscreen, the Shiseido is wonderful, gets lots of great reviews but all skin is different. You might want to check the zerozits.com site to see which ingredients are comedogenic before you decide on a sunscreen. Also, my rec for a moderate concentration Vitamin C serum is the 12% C from cellularskinrx.com. It's not so expensive and through the weekend they are offering free shipping. Hope this helps!
Tracy
5% products discount

Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know how long you have been using Differin, but I will tell you that when I started using it, my acne got worse (as it should) before it started to clear up. When I started seeing a derm, he switched me to Retin-A and switched me back and forth between anti-biotics. I have been going through this ritual for a couple of years now. I have good weeks and bad weeks, but my face has not completely cleared up in almost 2 and a half years. I finally decided that I was no longer going back to my derm because he has not tried anything new, and the best luck that I have had has been on my own switching up my routine, so now I am getting my RX's from my PCP and she did warn me that I need to stop using Retin-A before I attempt to get pregnant. I have even added alpha-lipoic acid to my routine of daily vitamins & pills. Just last week I switched to Bare Escentuals cosmetics and now I ordered Pro-Activ. Anyway, I have been so frustrated with RX routine that I been on (Triaz 9%, Retin-A and anti-biotics), I truly hope you have better luck than I have!
matti_pacman
5% products discount

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:33 am      Reply with quote
thanx for everyone's input! Very Happy
however, should i apply the Vit C serum before or after i apply my sun screen? and how long should i wait before i put one on top of the other?? Confused
sorry to hear u r not having much success with ur acne Rxs Tracy. i know how frustrating it can get. i am sure many skin care expert here can assist u in finding a way combating ur acne problem. i had to use roaccutane when i was younger cos acne was all over my body!! Crying or Very sad anyway, good luck to u too!!
if i am not a big fan of shopping online, is there any vit C serum on sell in the market that can be easily purchased? thanx!! Wink
Mabsy

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:25 am      Reply with quote
The vitamin C serum goes on before your moisturiser and sunblock.

Cellex-C and Skinceuticals can both be purchased in department stores as well as online. At least in Australia they can. Shopping in stores may be more convenient at times (not for me though - I LOVE shopping online! Ah, shopping while at work.... pure bliss! Smile) but once you see the amount of $ you can save by shopping online you might just become a convert Smile
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Vit C on first, Sunscreen on last. You really need to shop online, it is quite addicting Angel And as Mabsy said, any brick and morter shop that you will find that sell this, will sell it at the suggested retail price. For example, I use skinceuticals 20% vit c. The MSRP is $95 and I buy it online for $70.

Liz
Tracy
5% products discount

Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to add that I had my PCP check my thyroid and although I was right in the middle, I convinced her to put me on a mild dose of an RX because I have sooooo many other symptoms (and I have an aunt who also has a thyroid condition). Anyway, it's been two weeks now and my acne is starting to clear up. It is frustrating because I never had acne like this as a teen (well other than your normal teen breakouts) and all my derm could say is that is is adult acne and it takes a LONG time to clear up. I will be 30 in 2 weeks and I cannot believe that I am dealing with acne! Well, hopefully this is what I needed because this is the best that my skin has looked in two years! I've also been using Bare Esencuals for about a week and a half or so now and I have to say that I really like it, so maybe that could have something to do with it too. Hopefully you will find luck with the differin!
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I was just recently put on differin, as well as a new anti-biotic. I don't use AHAs or Vit C, but maybe I should. I'm a little clueless about this, so could someone recommend how I should use these?!?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Kimmy,

I use Differin and Duac(benzoyl peroxide+clindamycin) for my acne. What antibiotic are you using? Is it an oral or topical antibiotic? How long have you been on Differin? Depending on how long you have been using the Differin you may want to wait to add additional actives suchas Vit c or AHAs.

I have sensitive skin and have had problems using AHAs but they might work for you. I used Glyderm 5% glycolic acid lotion lite for 6 months when I was on the Differin. I got the Glyderm from my dermatologist and was instructed to use it at night after my Differin. I had to stop because of irritation and it was making my acne worse. I think that AHAs can help acne but only if they can be used without too much irritation.

As for the Vitamin C serum I am considering this also and will be interested to hear what others have to say about combining it with Differin. Vitamin C can cause some irritation so I am concerned about using it with my sensitive skin. But I know others with sensitive skin have used vitamin c without any problems. I would have to stop using the Duac if I started vitamin c because Vitamin C and benzoyl peroxide should not be combined (I got this infromation about Vit c and BP from EDS, skinterra and theskincareinstitute so I would be very inclined to believe it)!! I don't know if there are problems combining topical antibiotics (if that is what you are using) with Vitamin C. If you do use a C serum it should be used in the morning.HTH
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've only been using differin for two days now, so I don't want to add anything new to my regime quite yet. I am horribly impatient though, so that could be my downfall with most products - i end up putting too much stuff on my face.
I read in an earlier post that differin shouldn't be combined with salicylic acid, but I haven't found that info anywhere on the net or in the contained info. So for now I'm continuing to use my dermalogica anti bac cleanser and the multi active toner as well as the medicated cleanser and oil control lotion (i'm bad at remembering product names, so those might not be completely correct).

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
oh, and the antibiotic is minocycline. I had tried tetracycline a few years back, and my dr wanted to try this out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Kimmy,
I know what you mean about the patience part... I just went back on the Duac about 10 weeks ago and my skin is just now starting to clear up. It can take months to see results with a new product and the worst part is that the acne can get worse before it gets better!Stick with it though Smile I would wait at least a month or two before you add any new products.

As for the warning about using salicylic acid with Differin, this is directly from the package isert that came with my Differin:
DRUG INTERACTIONS: As DIFFERIN® Gel has the potential to produce local irritation in some patients, concomitant use of other potentially irritating topical products (medicated or abrasive soaps and cleansers, soaps and cosmetics that have a strong drying effect, and products with high concentrations of alcohol, astringents, spices, or lime) should be approached with caution. Particular caution should be exercised in using preparations containing sulfur, resorcinol, or salicylic acid in combination with DIFFERIN® Gel. If these preparations have been used, it is advisable not to start therapy with DIFFERIN® Gel until the effects of such preparations in the skin have subsided.
I have always been afraid to use salicylic acid since I have been on the Differin because of this warning. A few times I got samples of products that have had salicylic acid and would try them and within a day my face would feel really irritated. I have sensitive skin so perhaps this doesn't happen to everyone. I don't know about Dermalogica but I would be cautious using the items that contain salicylic acid. I imagine the amount of salicylic acid in a product would matter too...Maybe you could ask your dermatologist about the salicylic acid.
Is the minocycline an oral antibiotic? I haven't heard of any topicals containing this.
Two things that I didn't add to my prior post.
If you apply anything over the Differin wait 15min or so until your skin has had a chance to absorb the Differin and use suncreen every morning!!

I really hope this helps. Smile
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks TheresaL,
I read my package insert, but I must've missed that part about salicylic acid. So far I haven't had any problems, but it's a low concentration of only 1%. I don't put the medicated clearing gel at night when I use the differin, just during the day if I'm going to be at home and not going out.
The minocyclin is an oral antibiotic, it's similar to tetracyclin, which I had used many years ago. I'm not big on oral antibiotics for acne, just because I usually have unpleasant side effects and don't want my body to become resisitant to it in case I really need to fight off an infection later. But, I'm going to give it a shot for 6 weeks, and try to be consistent with my product usage so I can see whether it's really working.
I've never used Duac before, but I have used clindamycin in the past - it's really great for getting rid of large cysts!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
So the differin gel that I've been using has cleared up my acne, for the most part, but has made my skin dry, flaky, red and irritated. I've been putting aloe vera gel on instead of my regular moisturizer, and that seems to be helping a bit. Has anyone else used aloe vera as a moisturizer, and what were your results? Better than a moisturizer? It's definitely cheaper!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kimmy wrote:
So the differin gel that I've been using has cleared up my acne, for the most part, but has made my skin dry, flaky, red and irritated. I've been putting aloe vera gel on instead of my regular moisturizer, and that seems to be helping a bit. Has anyone else used aloe vera as a moisturizer, and what were your results? Better than a moisturizer? It's definitely cheaper!

I had the exact same problem when I was using Differin. It cleared up my acne but made my skin flake like there was no tomorrow. I was using Nutriderm as my moisturizer at the time (it was recommended by my derm and it's now discontinued).

Aloe Vera gel is pretty good. I like the Lilly of the Valley brand. It has added vitamins.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Kimmy, I say if the aloe vera gel is helping then go with it. Another option is to use the Differin cream instead of the gel.
emmeline

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any advice on which order to use Skinceuticals Phyto+ and Differin at night and how much time should I give between products? Or should I really only be using the Phyto+ during the day (with sunscreen, of course)?

I thought I'd come ask here because you all give such great advice and I was too scared to ask my derm the last time I saw her Embarassed
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I use Replenix CF serum before I put on the differen and it prevents dryness.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
emmeline welcome to the forum!!

I am not sure if the Phyto+ would conflict with Differin or not. I use Differin myself and do know that you should wait at least 10 minutes after applying the Differin before you put anything else on your face.
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
My derm told me not to apply the Differen until 10 minutes after washing my face.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |