Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Help for dermatitis/allergic reaction?!?!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jjb
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone - sorry to bring up sensitivity again, but I'm getting quite desperate! My face is a wreck right now - hot and itchy, red and bumpy Crying or Very sad!!

After using new products, I've had occasional issues with what seems to be dermatitis (tight feeling with redness, then small bumps everywhere that sometimes turn into whiteheads...) but when I go in the sun, I've noticed that it becomes really bad and right now I've got probably the worst case I've had yet - it's spread up from my chin to my cheeks and is starting in on my forehead too. (I think I triggered it by trying Nano Silver Cyclic a few weeks ago...) I've been trying to stay away from moisterizers and have only been using mild cleansers once a day. I used aloe gel a few days but that didn't seem to be doing much so I tried using topical Benadryl, but even that is not helping much. My derm gave me a steroid cream last year to use when needed, but I've noticed that it goes away, then comes back worse after using it.

Does anyone have advice on what products might help it calm down? Thanks for any tips you've got - so far, this forum has been a such a wealth of info.!
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
jjb, my best advice to you it to get to a doctor/dermatologist asap. The majority of all my scarring and red marks are from a freak reaction (not sure if it was dermatitis or a topical staph infection but it was not acne). I wish more than anything I would have gone to the doctor instead of trying to wait it out/heal it myself.
Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Best of luck to you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
jjb, my best advice to you it to get to a doctor/dermatologist asap. The majority of all my scarring and red marks are from a freak reaction (not sure if it was dermatitis or a topical staph infection but it was not acne). I wish more than anything I would have gone to the doctor instead of trying to wait it out/heal it myself.
Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Sundew! I might try and find a different derm. to go to - I did make an appointment, but they said the first available was in 2 months! I've already started noticing dark marks appearing... thanks for sharing what you experienced - it encourages me to try harder to get in!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
If you can't get into your dermatologist go to your GP and see if they have any alternatives for you so you don't have to suffer for 2 months.
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
jjb...I really feel your pain, my skin does this to me once and awhile also and it sucks big time Crying or Very sad What I find helps is using a very gentle cleanser, or no cleanser at all and a thermal water like Avene and Aveeno's Baby Lotion. I slather it on in the evening and I usually wake up to alot calmer skin, I find less is more when your skin is dermatitis prone, and alot of different product can aggravate it further... hth you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your thoughts and advice Smile ! I put in a message with my GP, so hopefully he'll respond on Monday. For now, I'm off to the drugstore to see if I can try the Aveeno that Moosette recommended just to calm it down a bit... at this point, I don't think it can really hurt to try!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I know you said you tried topical Benadryl, but what about Benadryl by mouth?
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, you should get a dermatologist. I have a very reactive skin and I'm allergic to many products. Topical Benadryl doesn't work for me as it makes my skin worse. I usually take Claritin and use jojoba oil to calm my skin when I have reaction. Try to avoid sun and drink a lot of water.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I was waiting to take Benadryl by mouth tonight (didn't want to fall asleep at work Laughing), so I'll definitely give that a try. You are right Lara1 - the topical really didn't do much and the alcohol in it is probably not a good thing to be putting on my face right now!

I'm laying off pretty much everything for a few days to see if it will help. Once I hear from my GP - hopefully I'll be able to get something that will be more certain to work. Thanks for all the tips!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
jjb, I have just recently read an article that stated many people can actually make their skin more sensitive and/or cause a number of quite different reactions when they start using different products on their skin. The worst cases are those who keep changing the products. Apparently the skin may need time to adjust to new products and, at the same time, some new products can also have their own reaction with your skin.
Just a suggestion but could you go back to using the products you had used before the reactions started and see if your skin settles down.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks bushy! I think that you are right about that - that's one reason I'm so scared to try new things! In the past, going back to my basic cleanser and moisterizer usually does it for me - I just stick to my usual stuff and my skin eventually returns to normal... This time, I've been really stressed out lately, so I think I just managed to keep my skin upset long enough to turn the reaction into something else - after looking around on the internet a bit, I think Sundew might be right - it's not just a mild reaction anymore. According to other sites on the internet, what I have looks an awful lot like perioral dermatitis, which usually requires antibiotics to clear Rolling Eyes . I guess I won't be indulging in anything new for awhile!
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I totally understand your feeling. I have this experience!
When my skin is irritated, I transit my skincare brand for avene. Avene is suitable for sensitive skin, it clam down my irritated skin.
You can get it in some drugstores.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be great to have skin that would let you experiment on it without it acting up? Bushy you make too much sense. Smile
jjb, any luck getting into a doctor?
I don't know why but I think this might be somewhat relevant to your situation since your skin is a bit out of whack (taken from Julie @ Perfect Complexion):
"What can I do about my acne right now?
The first thing I do to anyone with acne is forbid them from any facial skin washing for 1-2 weeks. No soaps no cleansers no lotions no potions. This allows the skin to build up natural protein and antibodies. Facial cleansing is limited to warm and cool wet wash clothes and a mild solution of home-made salt water. You can mix ½ tspn of table salt to 1 cup of hot water. Dissolve. Soak a clean wash cloth in solution and hold it to the effected areas 1 time each night at bedtime. Salt is a bio identical component that skin tissue recognizes. It is also a natural antibiotic that will not interrupt the process of metabolism.-....

Remember: Your skin is an organ. It cannot move without hydration. Interrupting this natural process will lead to long term skin issues from rapid aging and premature wrinkles to skin cancer.

Once your skin begins to function on its own without the help of chemical oil reducers, you will be able to step up your treatment to incorporate a Peel once per month to address scar reduction."

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great tips Very Happy !

Sundew - I will try that - I think it might be a good idea for me to try something that doesn't run the risk of causing even more irritation. My GP won't get my message until Monday, so I'm on my own until then Rolling Eyes . I stopped using my facial cleansers last night and even though it's still mad itchy, the bumps don't seem to be getting worse for now.

Once I'm somewhat back to normal (and able to try another product Wink ), I am going to look for the Avene line that helenzwl mentioned - so many others with sensitive skin seem to have good luck with it... I don't think I've seen it around here (California) but I haven't really looked for it specifically yet. I've also been waiting for samples of Arouge too since it is supposed to be good for sensitive skin too... I hope I can finally find something to settle down with!
jjb
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Just to update everyone that gave me such helpful advice, my reaction has calmed a bit and I finally got in to see a dermatologist next Wed. The reaction was so bad, it kept flaring up so I ended up trying a mild antibacterial handsoap (I know - I can't believe I tried it either...Embarassed) because I read somewhere that it might help - and it did! It's not quite gone yet, but it's not nearly as bad... now I'm just waiting to see what the doc. says. Thanks for all the help Smile !
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |