Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acne treatment confusion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aer817

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Why is there so much conflicting info on acne? I just don't understand that. Even dermatologists have different opinions (not very comforting considering it's supposed to be their specialty!) One side says to use benz peroxide, tea tree oil or salicylic acid to clear pores and kill acne bacteria. The other side says NOT to do this because it strips your skin of natural oils which in turn produces more oil and contributes to more breakouts. Is it really this complicated? Why can't there be one simple, effective answer? It drives me crazy!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
To put it quite simple, Everyone has a different skin type, some may have dry skin while others might have oily skin. Remember there are many factors that affect your skin such as weather,hormones, and stress. Also dermatologists have different philosophy when it comes to acne. For me it was always the Aloe vera that made me see the most improvement.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I find that many times Derms generalize the issue of acne and seem to give advice based on their past results with the majority of their patients. Some do the best they can, while others, sadly, seem to not really see you as an individual but just another case of acne. But they and we have to keep in mind that we are all individuals and the cause of one's acne may not be the cause of another's and thus, may need a different type of treatment.

As Compton mentioned there are many causes of acne from skin health, to nutrition and diet, to fitness and physical health, hormones, emotions, and stress, to climate and seasons. It really is a widespread issue and there is no ONE cure. Take the advice on how to improve your overall skin health given to you by your doctor and try different things to see what works best for you.

I used to suffer from mild to sometimes moderate acne in my early to mid 20s as well and it was frustrating as I never had acne besides the occasional pimple as a teen. I went to several doctor's who told me I would never get rid of it as my acne was hormonal so the best I could do was treat it and learn to live with it. Well this wasn't a good enough answer for me so I tried several things to find out what worked best for me. I tried changing my brith control pill, tried topical treatments, changed my cleansers a bunch of times, washed less, washed more, even went so far as to try antibiotics which I detested since I hate taking drugs and they did absolutely nothing. In fact they all seemed to make the situation and my acne worse because the lack of improvement just stressed me out more. What worked best for me was a combination of things. First off, acceptance. I relaxed and acknowledged that although I did have acne, I would manage it and I affirmed to myself it would get better and that I was still a beautiful person. I changed my diet to only eating organic foods, switched my skin care routine to something much more simplified, and began using organic skin care and makeup as well and I incorportated the knowledge I had of aromatherapy and used natural oils to help treat breakouts and improve the scars and the overall look of my skin. I am now happy to say I have flawless skin, finally, and have been maintaining it for the past few years!

The point is, and I apologize for the long post, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to find out what works best for YOU! And you will. It may be a combination of things, you might have to make some big changes in your life but it can and will get better. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Aer, there ARE definitive products that work for acne. These products work best: to clean out your pores use a well formulated BHA (beta hydroxy acid)and only as needed. The list below are the only formulations with a pH between 3 &4 to be effective as an exfoliant.

Alpha Hydrox, BioMedic, Exuviance Vespera serum, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face lotion, Estee Lauder Fruition Extra Multi Action (if you want to spend a lot of money) & Paula's Choice 2% BHA. There are several others but this is a good start.

And over your chosen BHA, apply a THIN and I say THIN layer or dab over your breakout(s)of a good topical disinfectant. Killing the bacteria in your acne breakout(s) is a great help. Benzoyl Peroxide is considered an effective topical disinfectant. Some good ones to try: Persa Gel 10, BioMedic's antibacterial spot treatment, Cliniques acne emergency gel, MD formulations, Paula's Choice, and ZAPZYT 10% benzoyl peroxide.

Hope this helps and good luck.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Have learned more from wildflower's reply.
mt0417
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Learnt that oxygen can help on healing and prevent Acne and therefore you may consider to use skin care products with oxygen like PSF O2 serum.... and Bliss oxygen mask.

Dermalogica mediated clearing gel can heal the blemishes. This medicated overnight treatment helps to clear skin and prevent future breakout activity by sloughing off dead skin cells and reducing the sebum that can clog follicles. Removes the dead skin cells and excess sebum to help clear the skin and prevent future breakouts. Helps regulate sebum protection. May also be used during the day as a spot treatment

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |