Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need advice on skin care and products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jb_phoenix
5% products discount

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been lurking for about a week and think this is a wonderful and very resourceful forum with great people. Very Happy

(This might be a bit long winded, but please bare with me.)

I'm 29 and searching for the best, preferably organic, and most affordable skincare products for my skin, but there are so many out there I'm at a total lost. Confused Also some of the usage of products goes over my head and I'm not sure how to incorporate it into my routine. I hope that you will be able to direct me to a sufficiant skincare routine with advice on brands and what kind of products to use when.

I think I have combonation skin with occational breakouts. I have fine lines on my forehead and between my eyebrows and I can see some faintly on the side of my mouth when I smiled or laughed...and then there's the crows feet. Brick wall I have little broken capillaries on my cheeks and my pores could deffinately be smaller in places.

I've always had some kind of basic skincare routine although I haven't used moisturiser until I used Aveda cleanser and moisturiser in my early 20s. Before I felt like the moisturisers were too rich for my skin and caused me to breakout...I didn't have much resources about skincare then...come to think of it, there weren't many products to choose from either.

I switched to Dr H 3 years ago for a more holistic approach, (cleaning, toning, eye cream, mosturising and sunblock) but it felt like my skin wasn't "using" the product..if that makes sence? Since I ran out of Dr H 2 months ago, I restarted Aveda as I'm trying to figure out my next step and so far think my skin looks better with Aveda...not much to compare but anyways... Neutral

I've looked at the following skin care ranges but like I said, Im at a total lost as to which one to choose - Also I think I'm too inexperienced to mix and match...I'm afraid the one product may cause a reaction to another.:
Naturderm, Liz Earl, Lathene, Lavera, Juice Beauty, Zenbiotics, Osea, Phyt's cosmetics, Eminence, John Masters, Jan Marini, Devita, PSF, Paula's Choice, BodiDeli, Henry Tianus, IS(this might be getting out of my affordability range though), Kosmea, Primavera, DDF

Thank you so much for reading and I sincerely hope there is someone that will be able to help me out.

Thanks

xox
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I vouch for Zenbiotic products, they are what I use almost exclusively and I have pretty much lost the desire to try anything new unless it is aligned to the same simple philosophy of ZB.

If you prefer Dr H type products, oil/cream based, no detergents etc, I think you should try Decleor/Jurlique - I have found great results with these lines too.

But try to use the entire range or similar types, eg Jurlique/Dr H (oil based), and don't mix and match too many "opposing" products, eg Dr H (oil based) and ZB (water based).
mt0417
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
You may consider the followings:

- PSF O2 serum which give oxgyen to your skin (I have finished 2 bottles and heading to my 3rd)
- PSF HA serum which give moisture to the skin
- Dremu Airbrush eye cream
- Skin Medica Rejuvenative Moisturizer which contains vit C & E

All the abovementioned products are not expensive and worth to try on.

You may also consider to start with same sample kit from ESD if you feel interest to those products, I will have Astara Blue Flame Sample Kit a try on my next order soon.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:06 am      Reply with quote
I have tried both Dr H & Jurlique and also have the same result that as you said that not using by the skin. Crying or Very sad So if Dr H not worked on your skin, then you may not like Jurlique but you can consider to try the sample first before really go ahead. The best product of Jurlique is hand cream and I would also recommend wrinkle beauty softener which can apply on eye, face and neck. So you may try these two products. Arrow

Decleor is a good recommedation that I have tried some sample before but a bit expensive.

5% products discount

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions!

What would be the difference in function and efficiency between an oil based and water based product? And how do I distinguish between them, by first ingredient?

Thanks!
cleo2034

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I would contact Carole Burns at skin laser rejuvenation and ask her. She is an expert in the field and knows her stuff. She uses skinceuticals and neostrata lines at her spa. I'm sure she'd give you a telephone consult (unless you live in NYC and you can go see her) and then direct you to products. The ones she sells are affordable and work amazingly well. She's changed my skin totally. Her website is slrnyc dot com. I spelled it out b/c this site doesn't let you post links to site or site names. good luck!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:16 am      Reply with quote
JB -

A literal example of very contrastive oil/water based products is Decleor Balms and Dr Hauschka range and Zenbiotic skincare. But there are many 'in-between' type products, such as Jurlique's "gels" which are an emulsion of refined coconut oil and water based ingredients but don't leave any greasy feeling behind.

Oil based products use oils at the cleansing and moisturising stage of a regime, I think the majority of creams/serums etc are oil (whether plant or petrolatum) based. Oils are very effective at sealing in moisture and balancing over-productive sebum glands. Some oils (hazelnut) are astringent and can actually help with acne problems when combined with essential oils. I think if any product contains a reasonable quantity of oil (even if water was the first ingredient) it could be an oil based product.

I moved away from oil based products because I found that my skin really could not breath and suffered chronic blocked pores.

ZB products use some mixture of glycerin and charged water to create a very effective moisturising system. My biggest concern with moving away from oils/creams was that my skin (which was already dehydrated) would flake off or my sebum production would go crazy again. Surprisingly I did not have any issues with dryness or excess oil production, in fact my dehydration and chronic flaking actually disappeared. Their gel cleanser is one of the most gentle I have ever used (even my beloved A'kin cleanser of two years was no match).

I can't vouch for every "water based" product out there, even my own glycerin+water creations don't fare well against ZB formulations.

I have actually added light oils back into my regime, I use one TINY drop of the ZB moisture enrich in the T zone while my face is damp, and the oil soaks into my skin completely - whereas when I used to use 4-5 drops of plant oils on dry skin, most of the oil would just sit on my face and not make any difference to my dryness/dehydration.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:35 am      Reply with quote
If you can tell us what sort of products you're looking for, maybe we'll be able to give better advice? What kinda cleanser are you looking for? Do you use toner? Masks? Exfoliators? Different moisturizers for day and night? etc.

I think most of the brands you listed are really good lines and have some outstanding products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi

What country are you in? Organic Pharmacy do some nice products but they're mainly only available in the UK.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:48 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Hi

What country are you in? Organic Pharmacy do some nice products but they're mainly only available in the UK.

I second The Organic Pharmacy. There are quite a few reviews on EDS, so you can look it up.

5% products discount

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
If you can tell us what sort of products you're looking for, maybe we'll be able to give better advice? What kinda cleanser are you looking for? Do you use toner? Masks? Exfoliators? Different moisturizers for day and night? etc.

I think most of the brands you listed are really good lines and have some outstanding products.

I apologize if my original post was a bit vague.

Thank you some much for the oil/water based clarification Miranets, ZB definitely sounds like a product that might work for me! I'm on the west coast but will look into contacting Carole from SLRNY thank you so much cleo2034! I looked into Organic Pharmacy and they look great, but with shipping from the UK I think that will work out too much of an expense for me but thanks!

Frankly I'm not really sure what I need...

I've always just done a basic routine... Cleansing, toning and moisturizing - morning and on and off at night.

I thought a cleanser, is a cleanser, is a cleanser followed by toner and moisturizing...shows you how much I know...or don't Embarassed Where do exfoliators come in?

I was wondering if someone could guide me towards a better, perhaps more ani-aging, skincare routine and what to use for my combo skin with occasional breakouts, minimizing pores and reducing fine lines and wrinkles...

Thanks again!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Good day JB. Whatever you choose to use after everything is said here know this: always pick a gentle cleanser, a toner (this step is not necessary however), and a sunblock for daytime use. In the evening choose a moisturizer with as many antioxidants in the ingredient listing that you can find. That would cover your routine quite nicely. You could probably add an exfoliant to this as well.
wickawer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Liz earle is a fantastic range i have been using it for about 4 years. I have started to try other masks and moisturisers but if you try one thing from the range it has to be the cleanse and polish it is the best cleanser i have used and will not be without it. It is the only cleanser that actually makes my skin feel clean and it removes every last scrap of makeup. The toner is also gorgeous. just remember you don't have to stick exclusively to one brand as not everything will suit your skin just cherry pick the good products from ranges and you will get the best results.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38 am      Reply with quote
wickawer wrote:
Liz earle is a fantastic range i have been using it for about 4 years. I have started to try other masks and moisturisers but if you try one thing from the range it has to be the cleanse and polish it is the best cleanser i have used and will not be without it. It is the only cleanser that actually makes my skin feel clean and it removes every last scrap of makeup. The toner is also gorgeous. just remember you don't have to stick exclusively to one brand as not everything will suit your skin just cherry pick the good products from ranges and you will get the best results.

I completely agree with you. I love the cleanse and polish.
jb_phoenix
5% products discount

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for all your interest!

Don't know how I missed it, bit there was a similar post with some great answers too.

(I'm sorry I wanted to post the link if someone had similar problems, but because I'm still new, I'm not allowed :S It was posted by SandyC123 so I guess a search by author will find the post.)

I'm taking it all in and will come back with probably some more questions once I've decided on some products.

Thanks again and what a great place this is! No wonder it is so easily addictive Very Happy
beautydream
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
[quote="miranets"]

If you prefer Dr H type products, oil/cream based, no detergents etc, I think you should try Decleor/Jurlique - I have found great results with these lines too.

could you please talk more about Decleor/Jurlique?what type skin do you have?

Thanks! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |