Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Major innovation on my hair rinse!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I used an apple cider vinegar/water hair rinse in my hair all through my school years and loved the results. When I got out of school, I used Philip B's spray, of which ACV is a major component. I've also used Fekkai's product with ACV as well. While I've always loved what it ACV did for my hair, the smell of it drove me crazy. I don't know whether I have particularly porous hair, or whether I'm the only one who smells it (which may the case, cause my bf spends considerable time with his face buried in my hair and he doesn't smell it - or says he doesn't). But, even if it is just me, the fact is I spend all day with my hair, so it isn't insignificant!

I don't smell it all the time. The smell dissipates after a bit. But, when I work up a sweat, the smell asserts itself.

Well, after doing some research and experimenting, I've come up with a solution. I originally got the idea when Candy started to use cranberry oil in her Triple C serum. I was chatting with a friend of mine, who runs a local spa, about the merits of cranberry oil. She makes some fabulous skin, body, and hair care stuff that I am usually delighted to test for her (she's launching a website sometime during the week coming up and I promise to review a bunch of her products when she makes them available, but that's another story Wink ). She gave me a very nice serum to try with the most lovely fragrance. Turned out that IT was made with raspberry oil. Like cranberries, raspberries are just FULL of antioxidants and other good stuff.

Soooooooooo, to FINALLY get to the point (pant, pant), I remembered that during the raspberry vinegar craze of a few years ago, I loved the smell of the stuff. I thought, why not try a RASPBERRY vinegar rinse instead of one that uses ACV.

I did some reading, checked the pH of both vinegars, found them to be equivalent, and went ahead and made a bottle of the stuff; same proportion of water to vinegar, etc.

Well, I'm delighted to report that the results are IDENTICAL, if not better! And, the smell that I found somewhat objectionable has been replaced by a fragrance that I actually like. I use the rinse happily now. I also made a bottle of the stuff with a couple of drops of raspberry e.o. The smell is even nicer and makes it very usuable as a hair mist (even better with some additional goodies..). I also thought about using a raspberry hydrosol instead of plain distilled water and while I'm certain it would be lovely, the raspberry vinegar is already more costly than the ACV, and adding the cost of a hydrosol might be justifiable for something that I mist on my hair, but not something that I POUR on!!!

Anyway, I have no idea if anybody else finds the smell of their ACV rinse objectionable, but if you do, this is just a lovely, lovely alternative.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the post Katee. My mom use to rinse my hair with vinegar/water and I just hated the smell so it is something that I would/will not use on my hair once I wash/rinsed it myself. This idea of raspberry vinegar sounds yummy, I think I will give this a try.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Let me know what you think if you do try it Frodo! It's a small thing really, but I have to admit I'm delighted with it
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Will do, I'm off to the store tomorrow to buy the raspberry vinegar, I already have the water. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds wonderful, katee. The smell is the one objection DH has to the ACV--he says it "stinks up the bathroom". LOL

Gotta try it.

Thanks, again

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Katee, it sounds great. Do you use specific measurements or just throw the stuff in a bottle? If you do use measurements, care to post them?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I just make a 50-50 solution. I added about 10 drops of raspberry e.o. to the second batch that I've been using as a hair mist....

You can just play around with it though. I have a few things I want to try as well Wink
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Is this for sale yet? Sounds great!!!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for this post, Katee. I was actually just thinking this morning that I hated the smell of the ACV in my hair, which is why I stopped doing the ACV rinse. I will definitely have to try your alternative. You're such a smart cookie! Very Happy

ETA: Did you have to use bottled water to mix the vinegar in, or just regular tab water? TIA!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Katee,

do you use it after the conditioner or instead of?

TIA,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Mel....yeah, it's for sale. 1 Cadillac Marg will get ya 16 ounces.... Wink

I use it after my conditioner, Lucy.

Cherisse, I always have a few jugs of distilled water on hand that I use to mix concentrates. It's cheap enough, so I used it out of habit. I don't see any reason why you can't use tap water though. After all, you use it to wash your hair anyway...
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
LOL Mel....yeah, it's for sale. 1 Cadillac Marg will get ya 16 ounces.... Wink

I use it after my conditioner, Lucy.

Cherisse, I always have a few jugs of distilled water on hand that I use to mix concentrates. It's cheap enough, so I used it out of habit. I don't see any reason why you can't use tap water though. After all, you use it to wash your hair anyway...

Thank you, Katee. I agree. It makes it more convenient, too, to use tap water. This sounds really awesome. I have to go and buy the raspberry vinegar now. I wonder if Trader Joe's carries this. hmm
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Katee!

I am sure you have another winner with that rinse.

Will definitely try as soon as I get the vinegar.

Thanks again,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I was on a mission today to find raspberry vinegar. Three stores later I found one that was a very small bottle for $10 bucks. Needless to say I didn't buy it cause if I didn't like the rinse I probably would never use the left overs. So my brain sorta kinda kicked in and thought maybe I could buy raspberry juice and do a 50/50 with regular vinegar and the juice. Well, there wasn't any just raspberry juice. All I could find was 100% cranberry raspberry juice. So I am going to try this at 50/50 and if I don't like it or it makes my hair smell like a bog my husband will be glad to drink the juice. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Ok, I was on a mission today to find raspberry vinegar. Three stores later I found one that was a very small bottle for $10 bucks. Needless to say I didn't buy it cause if I didn't like the rinse I probably would never use the left overs. So my brain sorta kinda kicked in and thought maybe I could buy raspberry juice and do a 50/50 with regular vinegar and the juice. Well, there wasn't any just raspberry juice. All I could find was 100% cranberry raspberry juice. So I am going to try this at 50/50 and if I don't like it or it makes my hair smell like a bog my husband will be glad to drink the juice. Rolling Eyes

Wow, $10 sounds like a lot for a bottle of vinegar.

Katee - where did you get yours from? Does this price sound right?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
$10 for raspberry vinegar !!! Yikes thats crazy!

I got mine at Costco. To be honest, I don't remember what I paid, but it sure as hell wasn't $10.

Sounds like a valiant try Frodo, but I really don't think its gonna work. Laughing Good luck though!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

I got mine at Costco. To be honest, I don't remember what I paid, but it sure as hell wasn't $10.

Sounds like a valiant try Frodo, but I really don't think its gonna work. Laughing Good luck though!

Hey, thanks for making my day, I was feeling like a smart ass (pushing chest out) thinking my idea just might work. Oh well, a do it yourselfer I'm not Exclamation Looks like my husand has a big bottle of juice, at least that was on sale. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

Oh Costco is my favorite store, so I sure know what will be in my cart next time I go there.
Thanks, Katee!

Frodo, are there any Costco in Oregon?
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
katee wrote:

Oh Costco is my favorite store, so I sure know what will be in my cart next time I go there.
Thanks, Katee!

Frodo, are there any Costco in Oregon?

Yes, but not sure they have it as I know everything in that store. I call Costco "my minimum $200 store". Can't get out of there without spending at least that much. I'm sure others spend more but I go quite often and none of my purchases are for business. That stuff gets rung up separately. Shock But I will check the vinegar isle out soon.

5% products discount

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
I've always loved ACV rinses but hated the smell. Thank you so much for this tip.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to give this rinse a try tonight. Can someone tell me how much to put on my hair? I know it's 50/50 but how much total. Example: 1/2 cup each to make a cup or is that too much. Should I use hot water and do I leave it in and not rinse it out? Sorry, these probably are stupid questions, just want to get it right.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Am I a little freaky. I actually like the smell of the ACV.

Don't answer that.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
I'm going to give this rinse a try tonight. Can someone tell me how much to put on my hair? I know it's 50/50 but how much total. Example: 1/2 cup each to make a cup or is that too much. Should I use hot water and do I leave it in and not rinse it out? Sorry, these probably are stupid questions, just want to get it right.

Yikes! Try 1 TBSP to a cup of water! You'll fry your hair if you use half a cup of it!! It's your final rinse, so the temp is up to you, but cool water is best for your hair. And yes, you leave it in.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Velvettt wrote:
Frodo wrote:

Yikes! Try 1 TBSP to a cup of water! You'll fry your hair if you use half a cup of it!! It's your final rinse, so the temp is up to you, but cool water is best for your hair. And yes, you leave it in.

Thanks, guess I was just a bit goofy when thinking I needed that much. Plus the fact the expensive bottle of raspberry vinegar will last a lot longer. Will try this tonight as I didn't do it last night till I got a reply.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
How about something like raspberry oil instead of vinegar, mixed in with an emulsifier, to mask the ACV smell or lessen it rather than replacing it all together? Maybe pectin.

For that matter, maybe any fragrant essential oil would do, depending on how it combines with the ACV smell.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |