Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
tiny white hard bumps under the skin????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
babs1031
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I am trying to find a product to help eliminate the tiny hard bumps under my skin....Can anyone out there suggest anything????? I've tried peels, retin-a....they just won't go away!@
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the same thing...I occassionally get tiny white pearl-looking things under my skin. I can see them with my 10X mirror. I use a sterile 30 ga needle and poke a hole in my skin then squeeze it out. They are very small, but look just like a pearl. I guess its just a round white cyst...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
For me, tazorac is the only thing that got rid of those. It took a few months to get rid of them all but it did. I had also tried retin-a and my skin never got used to it and it didn't work out well.
cleo2034

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Milia are deep seeded white bumps that form when skin cells become trapped rather than exfoliate naturally. The trapped cells become walled off into tiny cysts that appear like white beads below the surface of the skin. Milia can occur on the skin or even on mucous membranes such as the inner surface of the cheek or the vermillion border of the lips.

Exfoliation can go a long way in helping deal with milia prone skin. By keeping the epidermis thin and smooth, you can cut down on their formation. By mentioning exfoliation, I’m not talking about scrubbing off the top layer of your skin! One way is to use a gentle exfoliating scrub such as , Peter Thomas Roth Silica Face & Body Polish.
Another way to deal with milia is to undergo a periodic series of microdermabrasions or glycolic acid peels at the doctor’s office. Maintenance is important. Unless you find your solution is throwing out some problem causing cream, you likely are in a situation where you will periodically continue to form new spots. So add in some gentle exfoliation into your grooming regimen.

Sometimes milia won’t come out in spite of your best efforts. Then you may need the milia to be extracted by your dermatologist. In a physician’s office, milia are easily removed.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
babs1031 wrote:
I am trying to find a product to help eliminate the tiny hard bumps under my skin....Can anyone out there suggest anything????? I've tried peels, retin-a....they just won't go away!@

What kind of peels were you using? I've had a lot of success using 65% Lactic Acid peels once a week - my forehead used to be covered in bumps (cysts) but it is now looking allot clearer. I also switched to using emu oil as a moisturiser because I think that heavy cream type moisturisers seems to "feed" the bumps. Since starting with the emu oil I haven't had any more bumps appear.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like Milia, aren't they caused by a vitamin deficiency?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Just found this informative article on milia or cysts. She also mentions that heavy moisturisers should be avoided.

Milia
What’s with those annoying little white heads that just never seem to come to the surface and go away? What is that thick, white stuff that comes out when you finally get so frustrated you pick and poke and finally pop the bump? Milia can be the bane of your existence, particularly when they continue to form despite your best efforts at keeping your skin “clean”. Unfortunately, cleanliness isn’t problem. The skin’s ability to naturally exfoliate is.

Milia are deep seeded white bumps that form when skin cells become trapped rather than exfoliate naturally. The trapped cells become walled off into tiny cysts that appear like white beads below the surface of the skin. Milia can occur on the skin or even on mucous membranes such as the inner surface of the cheek or the vermillion border of the lips.

As the surface is worn away, the tiny cyst may resolve on its own. Far too often, though, intervention to remove the cyst may offer more rapid resolution.

Why Me?

Milia form for a variety of reasons. Some you can fix, others aren’t so easily dealt with. But you need to scrutinize your skin care routine whenever milia make their appearance. Although some people naturally make milia, and I certainly expect everyone to have an occasional bump at one time or another, milia are often the result of a problem that has affected the skin’s surface.

Heavy Skin Care Products

No doubt the most common reason milia form is from smothering your skin with heavy skin care products or hair care items. Comedogenic creams and lotions may prevent the sloughing of dead epidermal skin cells. Hidden problem products include make-up removers not labeled oil-free or non-comedogenic, hair spray, hair mousse and gel, heavy sunscreens and some moisturizers. The eyelids are very thin and more likely to experience problems with milia due to cosmetics. Re-evaluate your eye make-up and eyelid make-up remover if you are finding this to be a concern.

Certain lipsticks, lip balms and products meant to help with chapped lips may be the cause of little white pearly milia developing around the lipstick edge (aka vermillion border) of the lips. Again, if you see these forming, take a good look at the ingredients on the label. DERMAdoctor POUTlandish Hyper Moisturizing Lip Paint & Treatment SPF 15 With Nanotechnology is a good option that will not contribute to milia around the lip area. EI Solutions Lip Refine, when used consistantly, is able to keep cell build up at bay. SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair is an AHA-free exfoliating complex that accelerates cell renewal.

Prolonged History Of Sun Damage

The formation of milia can also be due to cumulative sun exposure. Aging skin forms a thicker epidermis that may make it far more difficult for skin cells to find their way out of the glands. And thicker skin also makes for more road blocks in the pathway to exfoliation.

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda

Milia can also be associated with certain skin diseases, particularly blistering disorders such as Porphyria Cutanea Tarda. Fortunately, there are other symptoms associated with these blistering diseases. Blisters, for one and increased hair on the face and backs of hands and knuckles, for another. PCT is an unusual disorder. If you have milia, don’t initially jump to the conclusion you have a blistering condition.

Genetics

Sometimes we just inherit certain undesirable skin tendencies.

What’s a Girl (Or Guy) Gonna Do?

Exfoliation can go a long way in helping deal with milia prone skin. By keeping the epidermis thin and smooth, you can cut down on their formation. By mentioning exfoliation, I’m not talking about scrubbing off the top layer of your skin! One way is to use a gentle exfoliating scrub such as , Peter Thomas Roth Silica Face & Body Polish, MD Formulations Face & Body Scrub, Peter Thomas Roth Botanical Buffing Beads, or Neova Microdermabrasion Scrub. Home microdermabrasion with DermaNew Facial Rejuvenation System or Neutrogena Advanced Solutions At Home MicroDermabrasion System can be highly effective in smoothing out problem skin. At-home facial peels and pads such as MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel - 30 applications, Ellen Lange Retexturizing Peel, Peter Thomas Roth Gentle Complexion Correction Pads or help exfoliate surface skin cells, addressing skin texture. How clean is your skin? The Clarisonic Skin Care Brush uses proprietary sonic technology and a two-way oscillating brush system to safely, deeply cleanse the skin.

Another way to deal with milia is to undergo a periodic series of microdermabrasions or glycolic acid peels at the doctor’s office. Maintenance is important. Unless you find your solution is throwing out some problem causing cream, you likely are in a situation where you will periodically continue to form new spots. So add in some gentle exfoliation into your grooming regimen.

Sometimes milia won’t come out in spite of your best efforts. Then you may need the milia to be extracted by your dermatologist. In a physician’s office, milia are easily removed. The skin is cleansed with some rubbing alcohol or other antiseptic. The skin overlying the milia is gently opened with a sterile lancet or needle. Then pressure is applied with a comedone extractor, and the milia typically pop out. I find that one of the most difficult areas from which to remove milia is the upper eyelid. There simply isn’t a good way to press on the area and avoid the eyeball, so the lid has to be pulled either upwards or to the side, which is somewhat challenging.

I am always asked if a patient can remove milia by themselves at home. While removing milia is certainly not a technique that one must attend medical school to be able to do, it is rather difficult to remove your own milia. This is both from the mild self-inflicted discomfort as well as my concern that infection can arise if the procedure isn’t performed properly. This means adequate skin cleansing as well as the use of sterile instruments. If you are going to give it a try, sterilize your needle and then after wiping the skin with rubbing alcohol, poke the milia and then press it out with the Tweezerman No-Slip Skin Care Tool. Cleanse the area gently and if there is any bleeding, apply some hydrogen peroxide and a bandaid. Milia on the eyelids should be dealt with by your doctor!

What can you do to prevent milia? Besides keeping your lifelong sun exposure limited, wearing oil-free sunscreen such as DERMAdoctor Body Guard Exquisitely Light SPF 30 For Face & Body and using glycolic acid can help remove unwanted surface debris and cleanse the pores. Exfoliating cleanser options include DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser 2 and Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 3% Facial Wash. The addition of a topical treatment and help cell turnover and also complement a skin rejuvenation program. MD Formulations Continuous Renewal Serum is a light, water-based corrector works to refine surface skin and diminish the visible signs of aging. Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Clarifying Gel also uses glycolic acid and contains no oil or fatty acids. SkinCeuticals combined both glycolic acid and lactic acid with SkinCeuticals C + AHA to exfoliate the rough outer layer of the skin, revealing newer, youthful skin under the surface. And, SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense contains a 12% hydroxy acid blend in an oil-free gel.

Vitamin A creams also work effectively to exfoliate the skin, thin the epidermis and again fit nicely into a skin rejuvenation program. SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5 used every other night is a retinol based vitamin A cream. Neova Therapy Dual Action Lotion combines retinol and GHK Copper Peptide Complex into an intensive lightweight lotion, and Afirm offers three levels of retinol for those starting a vitamin a routine. If you are using prescription Retin A, Renova, Differin, Avita or Tazorac for acne concerns or wrinkles, these can also be helpful in reducing your milia formation. Keep in mind that none of these vitamin A options should be applied to the eyelids.

So if milia are the bane of your existence, don´t worry. There´s hope.

Thank you for taking the time to read my newsletter. As always, I hope you have found it informative.

Audrey Kunin, M.D.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
I also easily get milia. Probably from years of using rich creams on extremely dehydrated skin. The milia under my eyes are slowly getting smaller (using Avene Ystheal eye cream), but I also have some along my 'smile' lines and the Avene Ystheal cream is not doing anything.

One can inherit the genetic disposition for these, and if that's the case, only a dermatologist can get rid of them (of course, they will come back over time!)

If I don't look at myself with the magnifying mirror, I'm OK!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I also get tiny milia on my forehead. I must just be prone to them because I don't use heavy creams on my face. Renova and retinols didn't help. I found that vitamin C, salicylic pads, and AHAs helped quite a bit. I still had some bumps though. Recently I have done a couple at home TCA 12.5% peels. And now the remaining milia are closer to the surface and I have been able to extract a few of them with my tweezerman tool. For some reason, I find it very satisfying to see that little piece of tissue push out unwillingly from the pore.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have these things I call 'clogged pores' on my chin and in the creases of my nose. Definately have to get a magnifying mirror to see. Or tug at my skin. I thought they were 'kin to the blackhead. It's a creamy discharge when extracted; they all can be extracted. And, often that is the only way to get rid of it. I have cleared it with IFP healing serum, and more recently, I thought, clarifying serum. They came back, with no interruption from my current routine. (I think my skin adjusts to the stuff and quits working). I feel like I exfoliate like crazy. I use Mandelic every other day. Bha every night. E2 occasionally. PSF pumpkin peel and retinol .5% once a week. Is this milia?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:
I have these things I call 'clogged pores' on my chin and in the creases of my nose. Definately have to get a magnifying mirror to see. Or tug at my skin. I thought they were 'kin to the blackhead. It's a creamy discharge when extracted; they all can be extracted. And, often that is the only way to get rid of it. I have cleared it with IFP healing serum, and more recently, I thought, clarifying serum. They came back, with no interruption from my current routine. (I think my skin adjusts to the stuff and quits working). I feel like I exfoliate like crazy. I use Mandelic every other day. Bha every night. E2 occasionally. PSF pumpkin peel and retinol .5% once a week. Is this milia?

So those are called clogged pores? I had no idea.. I have some in the creases of my nose too.. They're not inflammed or anything and very hard to extract.. They don't come out at all.. Usually it takes about 1-2 years for them to come to head.. and then I can finally extract!! They come out really long and creamy (shivers). I hope the IFP healing serum can make them come to head.. They don't really bother me though, but I would like to get rid of them, if possible. Smile
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I could never wait a year, lol. Nothing makes them come to 'a head.' Not mine. I try to leave them alone, but it only last 2-3 days at most. I think IFP help keep them clearer for longer, but they come back. IDK what to do. I'm not even sure what they are.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:

I have these too! They're so annoying! When I extract them they just come back. Using an aspirin mask seems to help but nothing I've ever used has ever gotten rid of them or kept them away totally.

zumlya and lisey, What are your skin types?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
babs1031 wrote:

What other facial products do you use? (Cleansers, moisturizers, etc)

For me, I've always gotten milia when I've used an eye cream that is too heavy. Tazorac has also really helped to keep them away.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
My Derm told me these 'bumps' are caused by over active subacaeous glands leading to clogged pores that build up to form these fatty bumps.

Have had them forever. Best treatment I've found is regular steaming of face, sweating from inside out, to really clean the pores. Have found a good retinol cream is helpful. And the advice to avoid rich creams in the areas where they form is correct. Have also realized that certain foods cause me lots of trouble - pastries, processed meats/foods, sugary foods,cola drinks, all the junk stuff we're told to avoid, and for me any baked goods made with white flour.
The only time they disappeared was when I juiced tons & was a vegan for about 2 yrs - skin was fabulous but had no good cholesterol left in system so doctor ordered me to abandoned it.

But because they are the result of the skin type we have, they will never be completely erradicated. I just eat as well as I can, steam, follow good skincare routines. By keeping my skin clean & moist, my skin is soft enough so I'm able to xtract many of them myself. Even large ones I thought would never be removed, have been xtracted but needed to be very vigilant with diet & skincare routine.

HTH
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily/normal skin in winter, and now that it's begining to heat up, I'll just say I'm oily.

I knew my diet had to have something to do with it. Thanks for the info and advice. I'll try steaming.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
My Derm told me these 'bumps' are caused by over active subacaeous glands leading to clogged pores that build up to form these fatty bumps.HTH

I was told the same thing by three derms. I was also told that there was very little that could be done about them. I did have some of the larger ones on my forehead lasered off but I still had masses of tiny ones left. You can prick them with a needle and squeeze them but they do tend to come back.

But as I said in an earlier post, I have found that Lactic Acid has worked wonders - my forehead is practically clear now.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I get these fun little things and I tried extracting them myself and now I have scars all over my cheeks. I tried going to the derm but I would be in there 1x a month to get them all out. On one of my visits my derm suggested microdermabrasion....it has worked miracles. I do a series of 5 (1x a week for 5 weeks) then I go 1x a month from then on. I still get them (even though I have changed skincare and haircare) but they never get inflamed and are usually gone after 1 microderm. Not to mention the fine lines and acne scars.

Good luck...just be careful of what you put on your skin. I used lots of peels, exfoliators and acne products and my skin dried out like crazy...then you get blemishes from your dry skin. Its a terrible cycle.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
There are two different classes of "bumps" that can occur on your forehead.

1) sebaceous hyperplasia - papules formed from sebaceous glands
2) milia - tiny cysts filled with keratin

The papules from Sebaceous hyperplasia are usually larger than milia. Milia are tiny. Milia can be extracted, hyperplasia has to be removed by a derm.
skincarefan
5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:07 am      Reply with quote
Pachouli wrote:
There are two different classes of "bumps" that can occur on your forehead.

1) sebaceous hyperplasia - papules formed from sebaceous glands
2) milia - tiny cysts filled with keratin

The papules from Sebaceous hyperplasia are usually larger than milia. Milia are tiny. Milia can be extracted, hyperplasia has to be removed by a derm.

Ok I don't know which one I have but is there anyway I can control them from spreading?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:17 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
zumlya wrote:

I have these too! They're so annoying! When I extract them they just come back. Using an aspirin mask seems to help but nothing I've ever used has ever gotten rid of them or kept them away totally.

zumlya and lisey, What are your skin types?

Hiya! I got dry to combo skin with t-zones. I guess I have the ones that are considered going to the derm to get them removed.. Sad They do come to head, but like a year later..
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:24 am      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
My Derm told me these 'bumps' are caused by over active subacaeous glands leading to clogged pores that build up to form these fatty bumps.

Have had them forever. Best treatment I've found is regular steaming of face, sweating from inside out, to really clean the pores. Have found a good retinol cream is helpful. And the advice to avoid rich creams in the areas where they form is correct. Have also realized that certain foods cause me lots of trouble - pastries, processed meats/foods, sugary foods,cola drinks, all the junk stuff we're told to avoid, and for me any baked goods made with white flour.
The only time they disappeared was when I juiced tons & was a vegan for about 2 yrs - skin was fabulous but had no good cholesterol left in system so doctor ordered me to abandoned it.

But because they are the result of the skin type we have, they will never be completely erradicated. I just eat as well as I can, steam, follow good skincare routines. By keeping my skin clean & moist, my skin is soft enough so I'm able to xtract many of them myself. Even large ones I thought would never be removed, have been xtracted but needed to be very vigilant with diet & skincare routine.

HTH

That's nice to know anya. I'm a vegetarian and I don't really eat junk food but still get them.. hmm.. Think I guess I should consider on getting a facial steam system or try sweating from the inside out. Smile
babs1031
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for their suggestions about getting rid of milia. Glad to know I am not alone...I will these suggestions a try....
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |