Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Who has read "The Coconut Oil Miracle" or "Th
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TRIHARDLISA
5% products discount

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone use coconut oil as a supplement for both health and for skin? I am not through with "The China Study" yet, but I am amazed by these books and would love to hear if anyone else has heard of these and if they have been read. But most importantly, has anyone changed their diets based on these books?

I live a healthy lifesyle of exercise and good nutrition and I am always looking for ways to boost what I do....

I will be gone for 5 days with my family for spring break, but I look forward to any responses Smile
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I was just at Whole Foods on Saturday and picked up a jar of Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. I have not done any reading on it yet, but I just reserved a copy of the book from my library! I will have to let you know what I think.
TRIHARDLISA
5% products discount

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oh please do!! The book is super easy to read and it has some interesting stuff in there. I must say that I have been using it for about a month or so and I do try to use the amount that they suggest as a supplement...I will put it on super dense grainy bread and fold it over...I think I am at a stage where it is gagging me a bit to do as a supplement. So I am taking a very short break from it and will use dried coconut on cereal and such and then I will cook with the oil...hey, while I am taking a break, I can always use it on my hair right????hahaha
MakeupDiva
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
There was another book - "The Coconut diet : the secret ingredient that helps you lose weight while you eat your favorite foods". I requested that one too!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Coconut is excellent for Candida overgrowth, I remember buying in huge jars of Coconut oil and cooking all my food in the stuff, the side effect (which I did not realise at the time) is it burns fat, I lost about half a stone in a month.....I was trying to put on weight at the time!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Yep, I only cook with coconut oil (it also is one of the only oils that does not change chemical composition at high heat as does palm oil). Olive oil should only be used at very low heats - also wonderful but better for salads and sautés.

I can't, however, stomach putting coconut oil on bread. Blech. Smile

5% products discount

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
I am going to have to check out that other book...and yes, on bread, blech!!! I think I about gagged the other day...but I just can't take it by the spoonful as some have requested...double blech!!!!!!
Scottishjuls
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I just bought some organic coconut milk to make a pina colada Bad Grin so is that healthy????
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am      Reply with quote
after hearing about how good coconut oil was, i urged my mom to use organic cold pressed coconut oil in everything a couple months ago, and my mom has now developed high cholesterol in her blood.

there has been no other changes in her diet besides the substitution of coconut oil for canola oil. I am a bit like fazed at this since i have heard coconut oil is supposed to be very good, but now that i think of it, it is a solid fat....seems like info online is split on how good and healthy coconut oil really is. from personal experience, i would use it in moderation and definitely not as a staple cooking oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
BAsed on my health practioner recommendations I use it in limited quantity (1Tbsp) raw in the morning fruit protein shake. It helps to supress the appetite. I also add lecithin to the shake to avoid cholesterol increase.

He does not recommend to use more then that for anyone who is overweight or has high cholesterol.

I do not cook with it (can's stand the smell).

Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote
You need to balance your fats (Omega 3s and 6s) in order to balance your cholesterol. I cook with coconut oil exclusively but don't only eat foods that I cook in oil, either. I take Krill oil tablets for Omega 3s and eat a lot of salads, etc. My cholesterol is less than 160 and that's fantastic so I just want to point out the need to balance with other Omegas.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm confused. Isn't coconut a saturated fat? I mean I love coconut milk blocks and have to be strict about how much I add to curries (and scoff whilst I am at it as well!), But I really thought it was on a par with peanut and palm oil in terms of fat intake Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I also exclusively cook with coconut oil and I love it on bread, in smoothies, etc. It *is* a saturated fat, but there are several studies coming out that are debunking all of the anti-saturated fat tirades.

The field of nutrition is a wonderful and very controversial thing. Smile

I am partial to the work of the Weston A. Price foundation: http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm. There are a few articles on coconut oil and saturated fat on that website.

Something to consider!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
after hearing about how good coconut oil was, i urged my mom to use organic cold pressed coconut oil in everything a couple months ago, and my mom has now developed high cholesterol in her blood.

there has been no other changes in her diet besides the substitution of coconut oil for canola oil. I am a bit like fazed at this since i have heard coconut oil is supposed to be very good, but now that i think of it, it is a solid fat....seems like info online is split on how good and healthy coconut oil really is. from personal experience, i would use it in moderation and definitely not as a staple cooking oil.

That's strange. It really helped lower mine overall. It also raised the good cholesterol. I've been using it for 2 years since my sis-in-law turned me on to it. I also use it in my DIY and on my hair, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

That's strange. It really helped lower mine overall. It also raised the good cholesterol. I've been using it for 2 years since my sis-in-law turned me on to it. I also use it in my DIY and on my hair, too.

Yes, exactly. Years ago, mine was 201 so borderline and now it's under 160. I cook exclusively with coconut oil, take Krill oil (sometimes also borage oil) and my triglycerides were 67 where they look for a maximum of 150 - needless to say, my doctor was almost flabbergasted at how low mine are. Smile I would think the balance of right oils is key for the system.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
yup i thought coconut oil would do good too, but now i am not so sure. the good and bad of it are really split online and i only speak from personal experience. i bought 1 gallon of it from mountain rose herbs, so i know it's the good quality kind. my mom is now switching back to canola oil and will get her blood tested again in a few months, so hopefully her level will go down. i just use it for hair and skin now.

i love it on some apple strudel bread though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
What was I doing wrong? I tried cooking with coconut oil, and started to gain weight, so I got scared and stopped using it. Now I use coconut oil exclusively to marinate my hair. I'm not worried about my cholesterol level since it's always on the low side, but the weight gaining was worrisome.
TRIHARDLISA
5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys...I was gone for a week and came back to see these great responses. GOSH..I hope it doesn't raise cholesterol or make me gain weight. See, the problem is this, there is so much conflicting information out there. Natural medicine v. scientific medicine. I have read over and over how good palm and coconut oils are and how they can even have a good effect on your weight..make it drop. I must admit that when I spread it on thick...I do worry if it is the 'right' thing to do. Oh, I want to try it on my hair as well....I just do not want to smell like a pina colada all day Smile I wish there was more solid information out there about the use of this oil.

Also, has anyone read the "China Study"?
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Confused
I read some books said olive oil is healthy!
TRIHARDLISA
5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I think it is ...but from what I am getting from these books is that coconut and palm are the holy grail of oils????
Freya
5% products discount

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38 am      Reply with quote
A question for someone...

My jar of coconut oil says to refrigerate after opening, but it gets so hard that I can't even scoop out some to cook with. It just crumbles. Any suggestions? Does it really need to be refrigerated? Many Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Freya wrote:
A question for someone...

My jar of coconut oil says to refrigerate after opening, but it gets so hard that I can't even scoop out some to cook with. It just crumbles. Any suggestions? Does it really need to be refrigerated? Many Thanks!

Apparently coconut oil is best stored in its solidified form, so that's why it's recommended to keep it in the fridge. I would just dig it out of the jar with a knife - the crumbing shouldn't be a problem, just crumble it into the pan and it will still melt when heated. HTH.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |