Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Toners?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bhill0821
5% products discount

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Dumb question here..
Why do we need/use a toner?
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
bhill0821 wrote:
Dumb question here..
Why do we need/use a toner?

There are several reasons. But, most importantly, a good toner will remove the last vestiges of soap and debris and will return your skin to its proper PH level.

A

5% products discount

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ok.. but if you have a cleanser that really cleans.. why would you need a toner?
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
bhill0821 wrote:
Ok.. but if you have a cleanser that really cleans.. why would you need a toner?

I guess it all really depends on your personal preference, I personally do not use a toner as I find my skin is better when I don't use one! But having said that I find that summer is usually the only time my skin benefits from using a toner & I love that refreshing feeling it gives my skin during the hot summer days! Cool
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
This is what I found on
[u]http://www.cosmeticscop.com[/u]

What do toners “tone?” I thought Paula didn’t recommend toners!
Paula has always recommended toners that contain ingredients that are truly beneficial for skin. Toners can be a great after-cleansing step to be sure you’ve removed all of your makeup. When properly formulated, they soothe skin and add hydrating ingredients to make skin softer, not to mention being another leave-on source for antioxidants and other ingredients that improve skin’s healthy functioning.

In the past, most toners (also known as astringents, fresheners, pore cleansers, clarifying lotions, Sea Breeze, or witch hazel) were made primarily of alcohol and other irritating ingredients, which is why Paula was so outspoken about toners being a problem for skin. Although there are still irritating toners to watch out for (particularly those designed for acne-prone skin), there are many available that can be a helpful addition to your skin-care routine. Each Paula’s Choice toner represents a state-of-the-art formulation that is brimming with skin-beneficial ingredients.
bhill0821
5% products discount

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thats what I am saying.. My skin does better without a toner, but I hear so much about using one. So thats why I was asking..
Thanks
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Even if you do have a cleanser that cleanses well, just rinsing with water won't return your skin to it's slightly acidic PH level. The acid mantle is the barrier that protects your skin from environmental damage, bacteria & fungi. The faster your skin returns to its normal PH level the more protected it is. A good toner will do this.

hth

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
On that note, I think a good PH appropriate cleanser is way more important than a toner.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
bhill0821 wrote:

I totally agree and have the same attitude. I am happy with my cleanser that I normally use. I have tried other brands, like La Mer gel cleanser and Cellcosmet cream cleanser and was impressed with the no film feeling you can get with some brands.

The one that I have been using for years, I also use it as a shower gel.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
bhill0821 wrote:

I totally agree and have the same attitude. I am happy with my cleanser that I normally use. I have tried other brands, like La Mer gel cleanser and Cellcosmet cream cleanser and was impressed with the no film feeling you can get with some brands.

The one that I have been using for years, I also use it as a shower gel.

you use a face cleanser as a shower gel Shock , isnt that a wee bit costly? And what cleans our face is way diff than what cleans our bodies..right?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I use Cetaphil cleanser for oily skin. It washes off my sweat or dirt from hanging out at the barn, my feet, when I'm wearing sandles.

I don't like moisterizing shower gels because it leaves a built up on my skin and then if feels itchy.

Normally I shower with an exfoliant. I did a review recently on Lancome Refinisher and DermaNew body scrubs. I think DermaNew is a lot better then Lancome.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I use Cetaphil cleanser for oily skin. It washes off my sweat or dirt from hanging out at the barn, my feet, when I'm wearing sandles.

I don't like moisterizing shower gels because it leaves a built up on my skin and then if feels itchy.

Normally I shower with an exfoliant. I did a review recently on Lancome Refinisher and DermaNew body scrubs. I think DermaNew is a lot better then Lancome.

Is the Cetaphil for oily skin different in texture and action from the regular Cetaphil?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. I would say that it is stronger but safe to apply onto your eyes (your skin has to be wet) to remove the eye make-up. But I still use Cle de Peau eye make-up remover because I apply my eyeliner in-between my lashes. I use a q-tip to soak my eye make-up remover and dab onto my lashes.

Cetaphil cleanser for oily skin is in a gel form. I used La Mer gel cleanser and the texture is the same.
Normally, I don't use the gel version in the morning. Just at night when I remove my make-up or take a shower.

I love Cetaphil but I have been following the Osea thread and so tempted to try that also.
Serendipity
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Good question. I have been wondering this a bit myself. I have had the Dr H clarifying toner but that has left my face too dry. I am using the Jurlique rosewater at the moment - but I am not sure if it is actually "doing" anything. I am wondering if the toning is a step I can do without or whether I need to embark on a search for my HG toner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use toner but decided that I already put alot on my skin. I haven't used a toner in over a year.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use a toner - I feel that if you use a good cleanser that is properly formulated, there is no need for a toner. And most 'toners' contain alcohol, witch hazel, menthol, or other things that are harsh & damage the acid mantle barrier - they don't do anything positive for the skin.

There are some products that are called 'toners' that contain healthy ingredients - but they're not really toners in the sense that most people think of toners - they're more 'treatments'. When most people think of toners, they think of astringents - and IMO, they just do more harm than good.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Toners really helped me to keep my skin tone and clean. When I apply it using a piece of cotton, I can see some yellowish stuff coming off my face and it feels so clean afterwards. I have less breakouts after using good toners.

I know it's probably because my cleansers aren't good enough. But I've tried a few different brands of cleansers and I can still find yellowish stuff coming off when I apply toners (but of coz, good cleansers makes the cotton less yellowish). So the only way for me to make sure my face is clean is using toners.

I'm currently using Phytomer Face Dew Lotion. It has a very nice smell of rose and it's non-alcoholic.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I get used to use toner.
I feel the moisturer is absorbed better after I have used toner.
lil_miss_skincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
What makes some facial cleansers effective (especially ones designed for oilier skins) is their ability to remove debris, and sometimes that means they are going to have a higher pH than others. In that case, you should use a toner afterward to bring your skin's pH back down to a normal, comfortable level. Other than that reason I think it's mostly a matter of personal preferrence. I like to use a soothing, hydrating toner when my skin feels irritated by strong products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard toners help your skin take on whatever treatments you use afterwards, whether it be serums, moisturizers, whatever. I'm not sure why though. I use a Decleor toner and really like it.
gosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:29 am      Reply with quote
for me, toner adds that 'feel-good' factor after my wash. it's not really for the cleaning purpuse, but to 'tone down' and make my skin even more supple and smooth. hence i recommend no alcohol types.

i've been using phytomer's rosee visage (rose water) for ages, not just after my wash but at any time when my skin feels dull at work (but too busy for a proper wash!) and highly recommend it Smile

gosa
wickawer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
I was told that if you live in a hard water area you should use a toner as the water can leave a mask of stuff left on the skin as it doesn't wash off properly. Think of limescale, and that using a toner helps to get rid of this and make sure your skin is clean.
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:16 am      Reply with quote
I don't use toner in order to remove cleanser or make up, in my opinion, a cleanser that doesn't remove make up and/or rinses off well with water is just not good enough. Wink BUT I do use a toner to remove traces of hard water off my face, leaves my skin softer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 am      Reply with quote
lil_miss_skincare wrote:
What makes some facial cleansers effective (especially ones designed for oilier skins) is their ability to remove debris, and sometimes that means they are going to have a higher pH than others. In that case, you should use a toner afterward to bring your skin's pH back down to a normal, comfortable level. Other than that reason I think it's mostly a matter of personal preferrence. I like to use a soothing, hydrating toner when my skin feels irritated by strong products.

Good point but what I do is wait good 20 min. before I put on my next skincare product, which is Vivier Vit. C. I started doing this after my Derm. told me to wait 20 min. before I put on my medication or moisterizers.
And for sunblock he stressed that after I put on a good coverage of sunblock, that I wait 20 min. before I go outside. I am very pale and can't live without it.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I think it does come down to personal preference. My skin is very sensitive and my pores clog at the drop of a hat, so I always like to use a toner to remove any last traces of makeup, dirt, cleanser, etc, not to mention any traces of hard water. Also many of the nicer toners contain ingredients that are soothing and good for your skin. Right now my fave toner is probably the one from Best Bath Store (it has kombucha in it for a moisture boost and is very hydrating), however, I also sometimes use either Zenbiotic's toner (contains apple cider vinegar which is good for acne), and Nature's Gate Calming Toner (contains Oligopeptide-10 to heal the skin and encapsulated tea tree oil for acne).

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |