Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
flick24
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks will go with the 1.5 then, I really don't know what to expect hope its not too painful as I haven't ordered any numbing cream.

So should I only be using once a month and should I try to do it when I have a day off work don't want any strange looks, how long does it take for skin to heal after.
JaeBlue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I rolled 5 times with no numbing cream and - yes, it's painful. I finally got numbing cream and WOW, what a difference. I will never roll again without it.

How it goes for me the day I roll my skin is merely pink. I usually do it at night and apply a vitamin A ointment (from owndoc.com)and go to bed. The next day it's still a little pink and blotchy. But then day 3-4 my skin gets dry and tight. Let's put it this way - it's never so bad that I can't go out as I normally do but my skin doesn't look really good for about 5 days. Then it's back to normal!

I roll every 4-6 weeks.
Well, worth it IMO!!
Sidmo
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I have been rolling since may (three times) with a 1.5 roller. Good results on face, but my hands seems to never have fully recovered from it. They seem to have lost a lot of elasticity and deep horisontal lines are becomming more and more visible. Im not sure I will roll them again. The skin on my hands are quite thin as opposed to the skin on my face and neck which is quite thick and oily.

What can I do to repair my hands? Would you continue rolling?
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:00 am      Reply with quote
I would like to know that, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently purchased a 1mm roller from Sarah Vaughter and rolled twice so far, the second pressing harder. Not too painful as I only rolled the forehead but I got a few pinpricks of blood and there was residual irritation the following day. A few days later I cleared the flakies with a light lactic acid peel (~30% in water, 5 mins) so my skin is plumped and smooth again. Very Happy

Would I be nuts to think of exfoliating in this manner a day or two before rolling? I am thinking this would soften the horny layer so I can use a lighter touch. Or would it just make the rolling more painful? I don't really want to use an anaesthetic cream, steam beforehand nor graze the surface, because I have sensitive skin.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
I've recently purchased a 1mm roller from Sarah Vaughter and rolled twice so far, the second pressing harder. Not too painful as I only rolled the forehead but I got a few pinpricks of blood and there was residual irritation the following day. A few days later I cleared the flakies with a light lactic acid peel (~30% in water, 5 mins) so my skin is plumped and smooth again. Very Happy

Would I be nuts to think of exfoliating in this manner a day or two before rolling? I am thinking this would soften the horny layer so I can use a lighter touch. Or would it just make the rolling more painful? I don't really want to use an anaesthetic cream, steam beforehand nor graze the surface, because I have sensitive skin.

I definitely wouldn't do a peel before rolling - it's too much for the skin. In addition, the skin usually peels after a good roll anyway. I also think that applying a peel to "injured" skin isn't a good idea either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I definitely wouldn't do a peel before rolling - it's too much for the skin. In addition, the skin usually peels after a good roll anyway. I also think that applying a peel to "injured" skin isn't a good idea either.

Thank you for your reply! My peels are very light, exfoliation really, and I wouldn't do anything on top of skin that appears to be injured or irritated, but of course some inflammation is invisible. I'm 'fortunate' that I easily get breakouts from over-exfoliating or being at all harsh with my skin. I used LA simply to clear the dryness without mechanical friction. In theory any collagen production is happening at epidermis or dermis level and lactic isn't even stripping all the horny layer ... perhaps I am telling myself what I want to hear! Wink

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Felicityb

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder how sow many people have good experiences of dermarolling.
I had been reading all those good reviews of this roller and decided to give it a try.

I wanted to do it for antiaging, because I have quite thin skin.

I reserved doctors appontment. Doctor evaluated my facial skin and desided to roll my skin with 1,5mm roller. I thought he knew what he was doing. I let him roll my face 3 times. I had his appontments over 2 months apart. I was not happy after the first time but the doctor convinced me that everything will be good.

After the last appointment he prescribed me a cream called Avitcid 0,025% ( Ingredients: Trentinoin 0,25mg, Methyl. parahydroxbenz 0,8mg, Propyl. parahydroxybenz. 0,2mg, a-Tochoperol.acet.ad stabil. 1mg, cetac.synth., alcohol cetyl., natr. laurisulf., propylenglycol. et Aq. purif ad 1g)

Now my face has lost its elasticity and is very dry even I try to put cream on it. Cream helps a little while, but soon my facial skin feels much older again.

Has anyone had this kind of experience? What has helped your skin to recover? It has been over 8 months I had the last doctors appointment and over 5 months I last time used the cream. I am 30 years old and my skin looks much older.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Felicityb wrote:
I had been reading all those good reviews of this roller and decided to give it a try.

I reserved doctors appontment. Doctor evaluated my facial skin and desided to roll my skin with 1,5mm roller. I thought he knew what he was doing. I let him roll my face 3 times. I had his appontments over 2 months apart. I was not happy after the first time but the doctor convinced me that everything will be good.

After the last appointment he prescribed me a cream called Avitcid 0,025% ( Ingredients: Trentinoin 0,25mg, Methyl. parahydroxbenz 0,8mg, Propyl. parahydroxybenz. 0,2mg, a-Tochoperol.acet.ad stabil. 1mg, cetac.synth., alcohol cetyl., natr. laurisulf., propylenglycol. et Aq. purif ad 1g)

Now my face has lost its elasticity and is very dry even I try to put cream on it. Cream helps a little while, but soon my facial skin feels much older again.

Has anyone had this kind of experience? What has helped your skin to recover? It has been over 8 months I had the last doctors appointment and over 5 months I last time used the cream. I am 30 years old and my skin looks much older.

Dermarolling should not contribute to loss of elasticity!!..just the opposite. I'm wondering what else you are doing in your skin regiment? Are you using copper peptides?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Thought I would pop back to say you were right! My skin was nice for a day or so then dried out again, so I obviously exfoliated too soon after. Thanks for your input.

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Felicityb wrote:

I agree with mountaingirl that dermarolling should not result in loss of elasticity. Did you pre-treat your skin prior to the rolls with at least 6 weeks of A and C? Dr. Fernandes recommends this to get the best results from the rolls. Also are you currently using A and C and a good sunscreen daily?
Jpshogun

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:23 am      Reply with quote
A newbie here.

I remember, somewhere in this long thread, there were some discussions regarding LED therapy and some anti-inflammatory actives after derma rolling. The whole idea is that we should not do anything against the inflammation purposely created by needling. What about all the antioxidants? Most antioxidants have anti-inflammatory effects more or less. Therefore, using otherwise great antioxidants like CoQ10, R-ALA, etc after skin needling may be counter productive. Do you have any opinions or any information? Thanks.
adelight
5% products discount

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking about getting a roller but not sure how effective it will be for me. I'm 21 and have some old scars from my teens, they're mostly flat and pale purple/pink but because I'm so fair they really stand out. I also have some pores that could be a bit smaller on my forehead, they're starting to create a wrinkle effect in certain light Crying or Very sad
Do you think the dermaroller would be good for reducing these/has anyone used it for these reasons?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Jpshogun wrote:
A newbie here.

I remember, somewhere in this long thread, there were some discussions regarding LED therapy and some anti-inflammatory actives after derma rolling. The whole idea is that we should not do anything against the inflammation purposely created by needling. What about all the antioxidants? Most antioxidants have anti-inflammatory effects more or less. Therefore, using otherwise great antioxidants like CoQ10, R-ALA, etc after skin needling may be counter productive. Do you have any opinions or any information? Thanks.

Hi Jpshogun - nice to see you over here!!

Yes, the principal of dermarolling is to "injure" the skin thereby causing inflammation which sets off the wound healing cascade. Therefore, it is not advisable to apply anything anti-inflammatory to the skin after rolling. Have you read the thread which contains all the dermarolling articles - you'll find some valuable information here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu what do you suggest using on your skin after rolling? Do you have a favorite product?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Keliu what do you suggest using on your skin after rolling? Do you have a favorite product?

Not really, you know me, I never stick with anything! Plus, I never practise what I preach, so sometimes I actually put on Emu Oil (which is an anti-inflammatory). I do think that sheet masks are great to put on after an intensive roll, but I don't have a favourite there either.

There was a thread around a while ago containing a link to a You-Tube video made by an Aussie dermaroller seller. He advised that you should be careful about putting on too many chemicals after rolling because they penetrate the skin more easily - I suppose that is something to consider.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I must be in a fog - I don't recall knowing that antioxidants were not recommended after rolling. Sheesh all this time I've been using skinactives marine nutrient serum and antioxidant booster - great.... I think I'll roll tomorrow and spray with a hydrating product. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I must be in a fog - I don't recall knowing that antioxidants were not recommended after rolling. Sheesh all this time I've been using skinactives marine nutrient serum and antioxidant booster - great.... I think I'll roll tomorrow and spray with a hydrating product. Confused

I don't know that anti-oxidants aren't suitable - maybe they're anti-inflammatory, but the other benefits they have would still be useful post rolling - IMO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:10 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Dr. Fernandes recommends A and C, but not in their acidic forms, for both before and after rolling. I think if the antioxidant booster contains the oil forms of A and C, what you are using is fine. You are wanting to feed your skin after the roll with ingredients that help in collagen production, which is why the A and C are recommended.
DermaBoy
5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Janaswede, you can't roll 5 times a week with the 1.5 or the 1mm. It's too rough on your skin. You can only roll daily (or more than once a week) with a .25 or less. You should not use the longer needles like 1 or 1.5 more than once a month. ................................................ If you roll too frequently, you will interrupt the process and the collagen will never be able to develop. .....................................................................

Tonia where did you come up with this information? How do you know that rolling frequently will interrupt collagen rebuilding process? Believe me Tonia, the skin is tough. It's supposed to be. IT HAS TO BE. The next person that says "Ohhh Derma rolling frequently with a 1.5 mm is bad and will stop collagen production!!"...... Please explain why rolling frequently will interrupt the production of collagen and also do you have proof or experience of this?

I'm actually keeping a detailed record of my rolling experience which I will share once I have completed my derma rolling. I use a 1.5 mm roller and I roll once a week for my acne scars. I use a pretty good amount of pressure so there is definitely bleeding. However I am not rolling aggressively because I am rolling so frequently. I've rolled 6 times so far I am seeing little improvement. I read from experienced people that it takes at least 30 sessions to see results. I look at my scars through different shades of lights and mirrors from angles that you can only imagine. This means that I am paying close attention to my scars. I will keep everyone posted about my rolling experience.

This is insane. I've read this whole thread and not one single person can give a final conclusion about derma rolling for acne scars. NOT ONE PERSON can share us their experiences with derma rolling and the results they achieved. Why? Where are these people with successful results using the derma roller for their scars? Have any of you used the derma roller long and consistent enough to see results on acne scars? All i see is quitters and people who want to believe. It's not enough. Someone please share your results with us!
laysayfair

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently posting daily photos, at least 5 days a week, on my blog, of the scar I rolled a week ago. You might find the article, the links and the photos useful in some regard even though it's not an acne scar. Hope it's helpful. I'm not allowed to link, so please google 'Tracey Ross Outloud' and you will see it.
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 am      Reply with quote
DermaBoy, rolling with a 1.0 or longer requires a minimum of 5 weeks for dermal rejuvenation to complete (healing from the inflicted injury of the needle in this case). Dr.'s who use laser to treat acne scars (or for dermal rejuvenation in general) only treat once every 6 weeks for the same reason...allow the dermis to heal before creating more injury. If you are rolling with a longer length, you are creating an injury and it needs to heal. That process doesn't happen in days or even a few weeks. If you're rolling often with a longer length, you are keeping your dermis/skin in a constant state of inflammation and any improvement you're maybe seeing is more about the inflammation/swelling causing the skin to look plumper/tighter.
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Also...the reason why people don't report their results is most people stop or don't do it regularly enough. It's NOT fun to roll with a longer needle! It HURTS, even with numbing creme...the sensation of the needles puncturing into the dermis is creepy. I rolled last night for the first time in a long time, today my skin feels like I have a sunburn, is very sensitive and over the next ten days my skin will look like crap. No fun. But...I'm willing to commit for the long haul, have went through my yearly calender and every 5 weeks have a roll date and will report back my findings. I have some extra incentive...my 30 year HS reunion is next Semptember =)
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Gotta agree with skinsmything on both accounts. The whole point of dermarolling is that the positives outweigh the negatives. Yes, inflammation is not good, but if used correctly, it can produce very nice results. If you subjugate your skin to chronic inflammation, you may spend more time and money later on trying to undo the damage.

Secondly, I do think that a lot of people don't stick it with or don't see good enough results after a couple of rolls and give up. I mean, people have trouble sticking to one cream for a week straight. And this is straight-up injuring your face.
skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Onmyboat,exactly! That's what I was thinking last night as I was torturing myself with this device, lol. My skin truly isn't what I would consider normal until closer to day 12-14 so you figure I'm going to spend nearly two weeks out of every five looking like crud. That sucks! But in this case, it's the price you pay (at least me, some of you may not take so long to look good). The average person isn't going to subject themselves to this kind of torture, lol. As a practicing Esthetician though, I do things to my face in the name of science...I consider this research Bad Grin

And yes...inflammation is the body's natural response to the injury initally. The dermis then begins to create collagen to repair the injury but you don't want your skin (or body) in a constant state of inflammation. That's not good! You can absolutely pre-age your skin that way. Less is more here.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |