Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



DermaRoller

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
A full bottle of wine? Shock I would go into a coma! I'm such a cheap drunk, two small wine glassfuls, and it's time for a nap. But I will get the lidocaine you mentioned.


OMG, I'm sorry, but when I read this, I fell out of my chair laughing. I am exactly the same way, but for me only 1 small glass does it! Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
A full bottle of wine? Shock I would go into a coma! I'm such a cheap drunk, two small wine glassfuls, and it's time for a nap. But I will get the lidocaine you mentioned.


The coma is part of my pain-reduction plan...I basically roll right up until I pass out! Very Happy

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 261
Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
OMG, I'm sorry, but when I read this, I fell out of my chair laughing. I am exactly the same way, but for me only 1 small glass does it!

Yeah, I've learned to take my little 4 pack of Perrier with me when we visit friends who drink. That way I can last the night and only have one or two drinks and remain in an upright position! Laughing

Quote:
The coma is part of my pain-reduction plan...I basically roll right up until I pass out!

Great plan, Bethany! Maybe you should patent it. Laughing

_________________
I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
Quote:
The coma is part of my pain-reduction plan...I basically roll right up until I pass out!

Great plan, Bethany! Maybe you should patent it. Laughing


I seriously wish that it was not so darn painful for me...I decided to do a roll tonight, and just started my wine ramp up (I am on glass 2). But I just can't stand the pain. Sad I am going to ask my derm next Friday for some Rx topical killer and see what she recommends...the Climax Spray just isn't enough on its own for me.

Hopefully I will be fully functional in the morning for work. Shock

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, are you using the .5 mm still? I am wondering if this is the size that is causing you such pain?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bethany, are you using the .5 mm still? I am wondering if this is the size that is causing you such pain?


What a timely question, lol. I have been using the 1.0mm regular roller and 1.0mm 3Line roller. However, tonight when I was cleaning my rollers in the denture stuff prior to rolling, a piece of plastic broke off my 1.0mm roller. Shock I could see some cracks along those plastic discs (possibly from where I dropped it on the floor), and the bubbles made the chunk fall out.

That means that I am going to try the 1.5mm I had on hand (and was too scared to use) for the first (and possibly last) time tonight...we'll see how it goes!

The only good news is that I was getting ready to order new rollers from Jack...if I can handle the 1.5mm, that is the size I will order as a replacement.

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
OMG...these longer needles are HORRIFIC! I had to take a break to chug anther glass of wine so that I can get through it. Sad

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
There is NO WAY that I will continue with the 1.5mm on my face...I can't do the intense roll that I normally do, and I think it is more important to have more holes to trigger the wound healing cascade rather than deeper penetration (and less holes) since I already hit the dermis with the 1.0mm. (YMMV)

I will use the 1.5mm on my arms going forward, and keep the 1.0mm for my face.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much pain I am in right now. Sad I am going to finish up the roll with the broken 1.0mm, and order a new roller tomorrow.

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
Jouke
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 89
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:07 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much pain I am in right now. I am going to finish up the roll with the broken 1.0mm, and order a new roller tomorrow.

Oops Bethany.......I think I'll stay with my 0,5 roller!!! Embarassed

bethany wrote:
I also use a disinfectant before and after I roll to kill any bacteria.

A question: what kind of disinfectant do you use? And do you apply it on the roller or on your skin?
Because using the roller causes break outs on my face, even at places where I never have breakouts before!! (unfortuntedly I am prone to breakouts Sad)
Now I'll let them cure first and after that I will try the roller again. But if nothing helps....I'll stop rlling on my face Sad
gumgirl
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 41
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Did a 1.5mm roll last night, using EMLA cream prior. Totally numb in the the areas where I applied thickly. I am pleased with this product. Bought 5 tubes this summer (don't remember where.) Upper lip is the most sensitive for me, however, I did not apply the EMLA thickly.

Post roll: face was beet red, with a smattering of blood spots. I rinsed with cool (prev. boiled) water and followed with a high% L-Ascorbic acid/water mix. Ouch.

Outwardly, my face looks almost normal this morning. I will be able to do my next roll ~ Nov. 19. I can do this one more aggressively since I will have a week to heal. I plan on using my 2.0mm roller.

I have a fine line at the base of my right NL fold and hypo/hyperpigmentation issues (my #1 problem.) I attribute the hypo/hyper problems in part to Aura/Lyra laser treatments several years ago (I am NOT a fan of lasers.) To be fair, I have dealt with pigment issues since becoming pregnant in '89 at 30 (I'm 48 now.)

This is my third roll with the 1.5 (started this summer.) Subsequent rolls have been with a 0.5mm roller. They have been spaced apart due to the nature of my work. My skin can't be compromised since I may be exposed to toxic environments.

No obvious results so far.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, have you changed your opinion on the inflammation aspect of the rolling? I thought you were only going to roll every 6 weeks or so, and now I am curious if you have a change of thought on things?

Sorry about the 1.5 mm. It does hurt more than the 1 mm in my opinion!

I am continuing to wait at least 6 weeks between rolls, as I want to see if "nature will take its course" so to speak. I still have not seen any results with the dermaroller.

ETA: Gumgirl, have you tried Retin A/Hydroquinone for your hyper/hypopigmentation? Obagi, in my opinion, is the best for this. I have/had areas of hypopigmentation that after 18 weeks on obagi were all blended in. All my freckles were gone, as well. If you are not opposed to the HQ, you may want to think about giving that a try.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Jouke wrote:
bethany wrote:
I also use a disinfectant before and after I roll to kill any bacteria.

A question: what kind of disinfectant do you use? And do you apply it on the roller or on your skin?
Because using the roller causes break outs on my face, even at places where I never have breakouts before!! (unfortuntedly I am prone to breakouts Sad)
Now I'll let them cure first and after that I will try the roller again. But if nothing helps....I'll stop rlling on my face Sad


I use the Bactine Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray...except I get the generic version from Walgreens. I wipe down my face with it before and after a roll, and I also spray my rollers before using them.

You definitely need to wait until the breakouts heal, or you could end up spreading the bacteria and creating even more breakouts! Shock

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bethany, have you changed your opinion on the inflammation aspect of the rolling? I thought you were only going to roll every 6 weeks or so, and now I am curious if you have a change of thought on things?



Nope...no change of opinion there! I still believe that people should roll no more frequently than every 2 weeks at the most. (my last full face roll was 9/21)

I am now doing a whole face roll every 4-6 weeks, and am also doing a targeted 3Line roll just on the wrinkles/trouble spots every 2-3 weeks (between the whole face rolls) through the end of the year.

I am also trying to roll different areas each week...yesterday was my face, and next week I will do my neck and chest. But I am not sure I can handle hangovers that often. Sad

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1897
Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
But I am not sure I can handle hangovers that often. Sad


Good one!! Laughing (And I so totally agree)

I may have to switch to a 1.0

My 1.5 is too much for my upper lip lines. And that's w/ tridocaine.

_________________
mid 50's, fair skin, very oily, few fine lines (thanks to the oily skin & little tanning!), vertical lip lines, crows feet & 11's, fighting aging! Using Palancia HF, dermarollers, CPs, Retin A Micro, Safetox, AALS, Clairsonic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, Bethany. I did not know if anything had changed or not!! Very Happy
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
gumgirl wrote:
Did a 1.5mm roll last night, using EMLA cream prior. Totally numb in the the areas where I applied thickly. I am pleased with this product. Bought 5 tubes this summer (don't remember where.) Upper lip is the most sensitive for me, however, I did not apply the EMLA thickly.


Gumgirl, do you cover your face with saran wrap and wait for 2 hours before rolling?

I just ordered some from the place below...my hangover today was just far too bad to continue with that nonsense!

http://www.canadapharmacyonline.com/DrugInfo.aspx?name=Emla%20Cream5500&RefID=froogle

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 360
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just got my Dr. Rollers in the mail from Jack. Yay!!

Reading the box has me cracking up though (I don't know if anyone else has posted this, so sorry if this is a duplicate...)

Quote:

Feature

* Special a method of construction by lock-up
* we used 50% more improved than other material


Still, the quality of the rollers looks good - and after a test roll (with no numbing cream) with the 3 line 1.5 - it looks like things are a go! Smile

I may just end up doing the 1.5 3 line without numbing cream (as it seems easier to take than the full size 0.5 roller) and the Canadian pharmacy is taking forever to send me my tridocaine! (Darn, I sure wish I did drink - that might help immensely!)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
- and after a test roll (with no numbing cream) with the 3 line 1.5 - it looks like things are a go! Smile

I may just end up doing the 1.5 3 line without numbing cream (as it seems easier to take than the full size 0.5 roller) and the Canadian pharmacy is taking forever to send me my tridocaine! (Darn, I sure wish I did drink - that might help immensely!)


OMG...you are doing the 3Line 1.5mm with no numbing agent? WOW. Shock That actually penetrates deeper than the 1.5mm regular roller than I attempted (and failed) to use last night.

I don't mean to pry but I am trying to figure out why some people have more pain than others. Would you mind answering the 2 questions below?

1. Do you currently smoke, or have you smoked regularly in the past?

2. Do you currently utilize skin peels (glycolic, TCA, etc.), or have you used them regularly in the past?

Thanks!

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 360
Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany -

Okay - now you have me all psyched out. The needles didn't look *that* bad - but it could be that I'm kinda nearsighted!

Of course, I just did a tiny test roll - right under the eye on the top of the cheekbone - so that's not the most sensitive of places. It really didn't seem that bad - and I did check to make sure that I was getting full penetration of the needles.

Anyway - in answer to your questions:

1. Nope - never - don't smoke.
2. I do use a glycolic peel (Ellen Lange's Glycolic Peel) about once a month. I think it's a pretty mild one - though it does feel sort of like I've put some sort of minty mouthwash on my face! Do you think that skin peels make the skin less sensitive?

I think the 3 line 1.5 is easier for me to tolerate because (while it may penetrate further) the surface area it covers at one time is far less. That's my initial theory though - it may change once I actually attempt to do more than just a 2 square inch area test roll.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Anyway - in answer to your questions:

1. Nope - never - don't smoke.
2. I do use a glycolic peel (Ellen Lange's Glycolic Peel) about once a month. I think it's a pretty mild one - though it does feel sort of like I've put some sort of minty mouthwash on my face! Do you think that skin peels make the skin less sensitive?

I think the 3 line 1.5 is easier for me to tolerate because (while it may penetrate further) the surface area it covers at one time is far less. That's my initial theory though - it may change once I actually attempt to do more than just a 2 square inch area test roll.


Maybe we better wait to see how you do during a full face roll before we classify you as having a high pain tolerance. Very Happy

Are you planning to roll your whole face with the 3Line? That may take forever! Shock

Keep in mind that you need to roll each section in 4 different directions, and that you need to poke enough holes to trigger the wound healing cascade....it just seems like that would be tough to do with a 3Line since it is so narrow.

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I really think the peels make a difference, Bethany. Maybe they "toughen" up the skin a little, and those of us who have used a peel don't feel the pain quite as intense as someone who has not do any peels? This really seems to be the key. Maybe you could do some kind of a poll with all the dermaroller users - if they tolerate a roll without numbing (which I do) and if they have had any sort of peel prior?

ETA: Also, if they bleed a lot or not (since soem of us have just tiny blood spots, and others have a lot more).
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I really think the peels make a difference, Bethany. Maybe they "toughen" up the skin a little, and those of us who have used a peel don't feel the pain quite as intense as someone who has not do any peels? This really seems to be the key. Maybe you could do some kind of a poll with all the dermaroller users - if they tolerate a roll without numbing (which I do) and if they have had any sort of peel prior?

ETA: Also, if they bleed a lot or not (since soem of us have just tiny blood spots, and others have a lot more).


Maybe I can set up a poll on a thread...let me see!

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 360
Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe we better wait to see how you do during a full face roll before we classify you as having a high pain tolerance.

Are you planning to roll your whole face with the 3Line? That may take forever!


No kidding! I generally have a high pain tolerance - but we'll have to see. I'm *really* hoping that the tridocaine I ordered arrives soon - so I don't have to find out!

As for rolling with the 3 line. IF the tridocaine comes in in a reasonable time frame - then no - I'm not gonna do my whole face with it. (I'm lazy by nature - and certainly that'll be a whole lot more work...) IF the tridocaine DOESN'T come in soon - then I'll probably get impatient (another one of my many failings) and say "the heck with it" and start rolling with the 3 line.

I've been using glycolic acid and Renova for years - so it could be that my skin is tougher?

Either way - like I said - maybe I need to take up drinking... (Unless there's a reason that friends don't let friends roll drunk??) Bad Grin
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
I really think the peels make a difference, Bethany. Maybe they "toughen" up the skin a little, and those of us who have used a peel don't feel the pain quite as intense as someone who has not do any peels? This really seems to be the key. Maybe you could do some kind of a poll with all the dermaroller users - if they tolerate a roll without numbing (which I do) and if they have had any sort of peel prior?

ETA: Also, if they bleed a lot or not (since soem of us have just tiny blood spots, and others have a lot more).


Done! I was unable to add the light or heavy bleeding option, because it would not let me ask that many questions. Mad But based on the outcomes of this survey (provided that someone other than ME answers it), I will do a 2nd set that focuses on the bleeding.

Please share your answers...they are anonymous!!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=403316#403316


Maybe I can set up a poll on a thread...let me see!

_________________
Not posting here as much; PM me if you need info on my favs: Epionce, Environ, Merbe, Tua Tre'nd, BioWave. Not affiliated with any vendor.
mangosteen
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 38
Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I've been lurking on EDS forums for years. I felt compelled to jump in with a word about my experience with topical anesthetics used for dermarolling. I did my sixth roll last night with a 1.5mm and am looking forward to a hiatus. I have used both tridocaine and Emla and I strongly prefer the Emla. It numbs my face to where I can not feel it at all--wierd and disconcerting, but allows me to get the job done. The tridocaine is a thick ointment, kind of like petroleum jelly consistency, that is difficult to remove. The Emla is a cream that wipes off more easily. My husband is also rolling (yes, I have created a skincare monster), and he is much more of a wimp with it than I am. The tridocaine did absolutely nothing for him, but the Emla does the trick. I got my Emla from Canadapharmacy. It took almost three weeks to arrive and came from UK--go figure!

Also, I want to thank everyone who has posted about dermarolling, giving me the info and courage to poke thousands of holes in my face. A special shout out to Bethany for the links to all the articles and connection to Jack for discounted dermarollers. THANKS!!! You're a gem. Very Happy

_________________
45 yo, AALS, Rex Kara II, Foreo, Carolyn's Facial Fitness, Tanaka massage (every morning), dermarolling (1.5mm every 6-8 weeks), Retin-A, Epionce
System
Automatic Message
Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Thalgo Tone Up! (2 items) Orlane Eye AM Radiantly Beautiful Duo (2 items) Pür Minerals Correcting Primer Redness Reducer - Green (30 ml / 1 floz)