Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that other sites sell rollers for home use that are larger than .2mm long. However, you really have to weigh out your options because not all of them are of the same quality/construction. See the link I posted above for comparison (although biased).
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
My understanding of the professional model is that it is very expensive ,is for one use only BY a doctor,right?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
My understanding of the professional model is that it is very expensive ,is for one use only BY a doctor,right?

From the dermaroller site, it appears that the professional ones are only made for one-time use, so they are disposable. I can't imagine they would be all that expensive since they are disposable, but I haven't seen any pricing on them so I don't really know. And yes, they are for professional/physician use only. That doesn't mean you can't find them out there somewhere though. I'm sure someone might post them on ebay or something.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I would want to buy a used roller! No thanks.I believe the medical ones are 1000.,I thought I had either read it somewhere or I do speak once with an environ sales rep that sells them and that amount comes to mind....a lot of money I think!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
$1000? That's insane, especially when you can probably get all the treatments you need from a doc with one for less than that. Laughing
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 am      Reply with quote
TAM, I will absolutely let you know how it works out! My interest is due to luna's experience and I do see how it can help actives penetrate better. I just have to see where I'll fit it in...before retin-A, which is the first thing I do at night or in the AM before I put on my oat beta glucans...this is what I'll probably do, in the AM.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
With the Novaderm roller (.75mm needles) there is usually a tiny bit of bleeding from a few of the punctures. When I'm done, I rinse with warm water, then apply my topicals-one night vit c and retin-a; the other cp with retin-a. I read.......somewhere (I've read so many posts from different sites, it gets confusing) that the skin surface stays "open" 20-30 minutes post needling for product absorption. Happy rolling! Cool
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I am wondering about bacteria. If this roller allows serums to enter your skin more easily, then it stands to reason that unwanted bacteria can also enter more easily.

I guess I'm wondering whether routine use of AHA's and occasional peels doesn't serve the same purpose? i.e. - keeping the "extra" skin layers sloughed off enough that serums more easily penetrate.

Thoughts?
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl,
I understand your concern. I've been rolling for several months now, and my occassional pimples have decreased. I always wash my hands and face before rolling, rinse with warm water afterwards, then apply topicals. On the skin biology forums, Dr P has stated that he has never heard of any problems with the dermaroller. Granted, he doesn't sell it himself...
Has anyone on this forum experienced skin infections of any kind from the various rollers?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I haven't had any skin problems from the dermaroller (which I've been using for one month+). As noted previously, my first week of using it and Leaf&Rusher actives, I got some pimples on my chin and forehead - nothing huge or that wasn't treatable with X-Zit essential oil roll-on. I think it was a combination of hormonal, reaction to actives, and purging. On the Leaf and Rusher site's FAQ, they note that this is a common reaction:

Quote:
Q-I have been using the Leaf & Rusher products for a week and I noticed a few pimples have popped up. Should I be concerned and should I change how I use the products?
A-Retinol is active on the skin and can unfortunately cause minor acne outbreaks in the first few weeks of usage. If such an outbreak occurs, discontinue usage of the Active Serum/Active Serum for Sensitive Skin in the immediate area of the pimple for the short time the eruption is visible and introduce a scrub cloth during your wash in order to increase exfoliation of the area of conjested/erupting pores. After approximately one week without treatment, slowly begin using Serum and Tx formula over site by using twice a week the first week, building up one day per week gradually thereafter.

[BTW, Leaf and Rusher has an acne line too (I don't use as that's not my issue)].

My skin is fair and relatively sensitive so I think I'm going to switch to using the dermaroller at night (as suggested at another website) and every other day. Previously, I was using every day in the morning after cleansing and putting actives on. I still use the actives every day though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Is anyone using this with non L&R products? If so, what products?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure others will respond. I think most every one else is using the dermaroller and Novaderm without the Leaf and Rusher products. I just ordered 2 Leaf and Rusher products at the same time as the dermaroller and started using at the same time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Do you think it would be effective on stretch marks? Question
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
A rep from Dermaroller said to use denture cleanser to clean.

Brilliant! I will be picking up some later today and am just about to use my Dermaroller for the very first time since it came yesterday! Now, the needles are almost invisible for those of you that are freaked out by the thought. I can't imagine this thing really hurting but will let you know. I'm off to roll!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I successfully rolled! It didn't hurt but it does sort of tingle and get a bit red. I DEFINITELY felt the products I put on afterward so it's obvious that there are little pinpricks in my face. Laughing Anyway, I have decided to use it at night in order for my Retin A to give a bigger punch.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:23 am      Reply with quote
it says you can use it twice a day once u get used to it; I use Vit c in the morning and using the dermaroller in the morning would allow for better penetration.I got mine today too and it does look harmless,you can barely see the needles, it didnt really hurt either and I had no redness I wonder if I need to "press harder?"How hard are you supposed to roll on your face?I was surprised and a little disappointed that my face was not red,I hope this thing works...I rolled first,THEN I put the products on.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:48 am      Reply with quote
That's exactly how I did it and I can tell you that I "felt" the treatment well into the afternoon! I was pretty generous with rolling, though, didn't press too hard - more a medium pressure - but I re-rolled some areas (cheeks). I did get pink and then put my products on. I did feel the oat beta glucans but the Vitamin C sure made a tingle! Anyway, I am certain it allowed for better absorption of the products. I did not use it last night as that would definitely have been overkill but will tonight.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Scali & Lucy,

Glad to hear your beginning adventures with the Dermaroller. Lucy, I wouldn't overdo the pressure. I think I did my last go around and ended up scraping my skin a bit near my crow's feet. I didn't notice the scrapes til later when they hardened - they aren't noticeable from a distance but are visible closeup and I can feel a difference in texture if I fun my fingers over my skin there. I've since applied cream to help heal them quickly and they look much better today.

So, roll in multiple directions (up, down, diagnonal, etc.) over the same area but use medium pressure. Also, I think if you use too much pressure, you increase the chance of blunting the needles at a premature rate (my guess).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
well, yes that would make sense that if you apply too much pressure you will need to replace the roller sooner. I used the roller before work this morning and notice in some parts my skin looked a little bumpy., think I need to back off on the pressure. I may only use it at night now.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
ww.vivida.co.za gives info on the medical derma roller and the homeuse roller. They do have before and after pics and the one pic of the crows feet do look better after using it...I am not sure but I think using the home roller is supposed to help,not sure how their roller differs from the dermaroller(I think their one time use medical roller is 1000) Its a very interesting website ,informative and makes a strong case for skin rejuvenation thru medical needling.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Hi Scali & Lucy,

Glad to hear your beginning adventures with the Dermaroller. Lucy, I wouldn't overdo the pressure. I think I did my last go around and ended up scraping my skin a bit near my crow's feet. I didn't notice the scrapes til later when they hardened - they aren't noticeable from a distance but are visible closeup and I can feel a difference in texture if I fun my fingers over my skin there. I've since applied cream to help heal them quickly and they look much better today.

So, roll in multiple directions (up, down, diagnonal, etc.) over the same area but use medium pressure. Also, I think if you use too much pressure, you increase the chance of blunting the needles at a premature rate (my guess).

I am glad I got it and am enjoying it so far but I did the same thing as you and overdid one side of one eye (same place)! So, take care in thin skinned sections, everyone.

Just found a .15mm roller on eBay and on the surface, it seems inline with the DR (.25 needle diameter, 20mm head width, 192 stainless steel in 8 rows). It will go .1-.13mm depth depending on pressure. I want to use this to further work on orange peel texture and cheek scars. Now, I'm researching topical analgesics to use. FYI, disposability is likely due to the fact that when used by a doctor, it can't be reused (biohazardous) but can be cleaned with alcohol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
That's exactly how I did it and I can tell you that I "felt" the treatment well into the afternoon! I was pretty generous with rolling, though, didn't press too hard - more a medium pressure - but I re-rolled some areas (cheeks). I did get pink and then put my products on. I did feel the oat beta glucans but the Vitamin C sure made a tingle! Anyway, I am certain it allowed for better absorption of the products. I did not use it last night as that would definitely have been overkill but will tonight.

Dude, I will *paypal* you for another video lesson!!! Wink
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
alibabka wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:

Dude, I will *paypal* you for another video lesson!!! Wink

That'd be a costly investment for such an easy procedure. Smile However, it could help defray the cost of my new .15mm model! ETA: Here's a link to the auction, if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180111412953&rd=1&rd=1

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Now, I'm researching topical analgesics to use.

Before having IPL treatments, I use a cream called Emla (sorry, not sure of spelling). You apply it half hour before treatment and it numbs skin - could be good for you. Very Happy
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
be careful with topical analgesics.there have been several cases of people dying after using it, their body just went into a kind of shock and they died.I believe one girl had laser treatments on legs and put the analgesic on legs and wrapped in plastic and then she suddenly died, it can be a shock to your system, I would just go cold turkey on it,the dermroller I dont think hurts...I find numbing cream to be annoying and somewhat painful,my face can stay numb for 5 hrs after use!(I only use it for radiesse in nasals cuz that really hurts, I dont use anything for botox cuz I dont think the injections hurt that much and I hate to be numb for 5 hrs.)
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |