Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Needless to say, I've been sucked into this one - I bought the roller with the 1.5mm needles, the cheap one from Ebay. It seems perfectly fine - I definitely wouldn't be paying big bucks for one of these. Anyway, I used it for the first time last night - very cautiously AND it hurt like hell!! I really didn't press very hard as I was too terrified of doing something awful to myself. I'm also a bit worried about infection - I just poured boiling water over the roller before and after use.

It really did hurt too much to use for any length of time and afterwards my face was stinging so I immediately used my Baby Q - this calmed things down allot. This morning my face is fine but my neck is a bit red. I think I'm going to use some Emla cream next time before I use it.

Does anybody know how often you're supposed to use the roller? I might give it another go tomorrow night along with the Emla cream and will let you know how I go.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
You can use it once or twice a day if you can tolerate it. I use it twice a day and it does not hurt at all, a very mild tingle at the most when I put Vit C on, I must have tough skin.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

I wouldn't use the 1.5mm every day. Lucy, the one you are using isn't that long, right?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 12:28 am      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Keliu,

I wouldn't use the 1.5mm every day. Lucy, the one you are using isn't that long, right?

Yep, this thing's pretty lethal. I was so tentative when I first used it. Next time I'll apply the anaesthetic cream first and give it a good go. I would imagine once a month or even less would be sufficient.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I bought it off ebay, its the leaf and rusher dermroller and does not say how long the needles are,they dont look that long...maybe no pain no gain?Where and how do you buy the one with longer needles without paying thru the nose?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I bought it off ebay, its the leaf and rusher dermroller and does not say how long the needles are,they dont look that long...maybe no pain no gain?Where and how do you buy the one with longer needles without paying thru the nose?

I bought mine or Ebay but its not a Leaf and Rusher, it came from Thailand. I just did a search using the term "skin roller". I've been doing some research about needling and it is recommended that when using a roller with needles 1mm in length to use an anaesthetic cream. So I did that tonight - I applied the Emla and waited about 30 mins. It didn't hurt as much, but its really not a pleasant thing to do to yourself at all and some pricks did draw blood. Afterwards my skin was very red and stinging but I'm finding that using the Baby Q after the needling seems to help allot. Then I applied CP's and Retin-A.

The information I found on needling is written by the doctor that invented it and he recommends to do it every week for about four to six times with 1mm needles. He claims that this technique can give results equivalent to having your face laser resurfaced but is much more safer and beneficial to the skin.

I'm going to keep up with it and see how I go. It is very difficult to give yourself an aggressive treatment because of the pain factor. I think the use of an anaesthetic cream is essential. Maybe the more you do it, the less it will hurt. I've definitely found that to be the case when using an epilator for hair removal.
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,
I've been spacing out my 1.5mm "rolls" by at least a month- frankly once a week makes more sense- my skin has been completely healed within a few days. Next time I use it, I'm going to try rolling with the short needles first, put on the anesthetic (so it can soak in like any other topical ), then use the big roller. On one of the acne.org posts, someone said that's how her Dr did it. All this rolling has helped soften my wrinkles, and even out my skin tone. I'm even getting pigmentation back in my white spots (from acne).
Happy rolling Cool
Cool Robin
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I think this info on length of needles is correct:

The consumer Dermaroller C8's needles are a length of .13mm; maximum penetration is .07mm.

The one Keliu is using seems similar to the Dermaroller MF8 - its needles have a length of 1.5mm and according to the applied pressure they penetrate the skin from 0.1 to 1.3mm.

BTW, I think it's funny that a couple months ago, some people on this board were totally freaked out by the consumer Dermaroller and now there are some members using the big guns (needles)! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I second lunarmm's observation--there were some pretty heated posts a while back on the whole needling topic. The quest for prettier/younger looking skin knows no bounds! Laughing Laughing
Robin
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know the size of the needles on Leaf and rusher's dermaroller?It doesnt say on the container,they dont look very long at all.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc - I believe they are .13mm which is almost invisible to the eye!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
kyplantjunkie wrote:
I second lunarmm's observation--there were some pretty heated posts a while back on the whole needling topic. The quest for prettier/younger looking skin knows no bounds! Laughing Laughing
Robin

How true, how true!! I really subscribe to the "no pain, no gain" adage. Have a look at all these articles ahttp://www.vivida.co.za/press/ I have to say that I like the theory behind the method plus I love anything that I can do myself at home. I really don't think I'd advise this for young skin though.

This morning, after last night's needling, my face is slightly puffy and my neck is very, very red - it looks like bad case of sunburn. When using the roller, you have to be careful to hold the roller vertical and steady and to not slide sideways to avoid any scraping or scratching of the skin.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
so where do you buy the 1.mm needles that the dr recommends?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 12:09 am      Reply with quote
kyplantjunkie wrote:
Keliu,
I've been spacing out my 1.5mm "rolls" by at least a month- frankly once a week makes more sense- my skin has been completely healed within a few days. Next time I use it, I'm going to try rolling with the short needles first, put on the anesthetic (so it can soak in like any other topical ), then use the big roller. On one of the acne.org posts, someone said that's how her Dr did it. All this rolling has helped soften my wrinkles, and even out my skin tone. I'm even getting pigmentation back in my white spots (from acne).
Happy rolling Cool
Cool Robin

Hi Robin,
Yes, I think I'll try to do it once a week too. How many rolls do you do in one area? I basically try to roll in each direction ie up & down, side to side and and on a slant maybe twice. I don't really press very hard either so I don't know whether the needles are penetrating to the maximum extent. Its all a bit trial and error at the moment but whatever I did last night has definitely had some effect! I'm actually quite excited about this, after all, its no more crazy than burning the skin off your face with acid Embarassed
Carol
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Carol,
You're absolutely right! I'll have to point out to my family, as they shake their heads, that I'm not burning off the top layers of my flesh anymore!
I don't really count how many rolls- I kinda do what you do- roll up, down, at an angle. Where I want extra improvement ( white spots, wrinkles) I do pull my skin very taught with 2 fingers, and roll harder. Those areas I always get little pin point (duh) bleeding. I rinse with warm water after rolling, to wash off the blood spots, and in my mind to increase circulation to my face; then apply my topicals.
I just got an order from Candy's- matrixyl 3000, dmae, and her triple c. I'm going to email her and ask about applying the matrixyl and dmae after rolling. I'll post when I hear back.
Robin Cool
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kyplantjunkie,
At present I'm using a 1.5mm needle roller. I intend to use this once a week for 6 weeks then I'm going to switch to a shorter needle roller in order to use it once a day. I don't know whether to buy the 0.3mm or 0.75mm length Novaderm. What do you advise?

Thanks, Carol
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I always thought the longer needles were to be used by a doctor...and not that often either.Where did you buy the 1.5 roller how much was it and do you have to take a day off from work?I would like to use the 1.5 roller every month or every week(not sure how often to use) and then for maintenance use the leaf and rusher home roller which is kind of a sissy roller.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Yes, the 1.5mm roller is supposed to be used by professionals plus I think its meant to be used only once and then disposed of. If it was used in a doctor's surgery, this would be the case. I bought it on Ebay and it was around $100.00. I read an article written by the doctor that invented the skin rolling that he recommended six treatments at weekly intervals, so that's what I'm doing - so far I've done 3 treatments which I do on a Friday evening. Immediately afterwards I apply CP and Retin-A. The skin on my face is pretty red but settles down by the next day whereas the skin on my neck is very red and remains so for a couple of days. The needling also seems to accentuate the affects of the Retin-A and my face and neck peel.

So far I've had no dramas at all and my skin is looking really good. According to the article I read, the skin renews itself in 40 days, well I'm only half way there but I can already see improvements. This is why I want to use the "every-day roller" when I finish the 6 treatments.
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Carol,
I got the .75mm roller first- before I knew I could get my hands on a 1.5mm one; so that's what I use daily. It doesn't hurt like the long one, except above the lip (for me).
I used Candy's firming serum and dmae after rolling on Monday. Not sure which if it was the products or my skin reacting to sweat and dirt while working outside, but I got about 15 little whiteheads the next few days. I switched back to retin-a and vit c after rolling, and my face cleared right up. I think Candy's products are great, but I think, for me, to be used in the morning, when I'm not rolling.
Robin
oucutie

Mon May 28, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Aloha,

I'm new to this community and just want to add my 2 cents worth about the dermaroller. I bought mine from Leaf and Rusher and it came with some samples of their products. I use it every night. It makes perfect sense that the stratus corneum (outer layer of skin) has to be "breached" in order for products to seep down into the lower layers. I think too, that it is helping break up some scar tissue (ice picks on cheeks) even though the needles are not that long, they are still long enough to do the job. The rollers with longer needles are meant to be used by professionals because anesthetic would have to be used and bleeding would occur. I couldn't begin to imagine anyone trying to us the medical rollers at home

I roll, vertically, horizontally, and diagonally on cheeks, chin, upper lip, temples and forehead and am noticing an improvement in skin texture and some shallowing of scars on my cheeks.

Good luck to you that decide to buy it. I don't think you will be sorry.

Every Blessing,

Oucutie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Welcome, oucutie!

I love my consumer Dermaroller! I get a nice glow from it that reminds me of what someone on the board said about her doing facial acupressure.

I use Leaf & Rusher products afterward - I bought 2 and then added more as I found I really like their products. With the combination of the dermaroller and these products, I have seen pore refinement, less breakouts / more consistent good skin days, and lessening of wrinkles (especially my crow's feet and my forehead ll).

I'm glad I tried this out - especially since when I was asking about it, there were so many outcries of fear from many... Now, there are people going for the "big gun" rollers Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you who live in Australia - the Dermaroller is now being sold by Mecca Cosmetica, it retails for $155.00. Its gone mainstream!!
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hey girls,
I have bought both rollers. The small consumer one and one of the "big guns" - ouch!
The big one does hurt. I'm experimenting by only doing one patch on my face to see how it looks in six weeks time in comparison to the rest of my face - been two weeks so far. I use the smaller one nightly and then apply retin-a. Is that what most of you are using? or Copper peps?
Thank you all on this thread for giving all your tips - has been great!
Thanks Robin for telling me where to get one of the "big guns" I think that one is making a difference to my dermal pigmentation patch! dips
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dips18,
I've also got both of the rollers now!! I'm totally into the rolling - I do my whole face once a week with the large one and use the smaller one to spot treat. I have to use numbing cream with the big roller as it hurts so much. Afterwards, I apply CP then Retin-A - my poor skin!!!

However, I'm really seeing results - I did peel like mad the first two times and my pigmentation and a couple of scars are looking much better. So far I'm into my fourth week - they say you see real results after 80 days so I have a way to go yet. But I'm convinced I'm seeing better results for the rolling than from the peels - I'm hooked!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Do you put anything on before you use the dermaroller? I want to use this with copper peptides, but am not sure when the copper peptides get used before the rolling or after? Thanks in advance!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |