Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



glominerals Dual Essence Clutch DeVita Perfecting Time (75 ml / 2.5 oz) Anthony Logistics Wake Up Call Hydrating Treatment Gel (90 ml / 3 floz)
DermaRoller

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1408
Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I initially bought a 1.5mm roller. I used it very often and then stopped for a few weeks used it again often and now am in the third week of an off period. I think the frequency depends on the person's skin and how hard they roll. I can roll lightly with the 1.5mm roller and barely prick the skin. The original roller is not really usable now due to bent prongs. I pulled some out and maybe if I straightened some it would be usable.

I have 2 new rollers. I thought I ordered a 1.5mm and a 2mm. I received a 1mm and a 2mm roller. I've used the 2mm one time. I don't see a whole lot of differnce maybe a bit more bleeding. I am overall very pleased with rolling. I hope to totally get rid of a scar on my arm. It is fading and one side is gone but I guess anything good takes time.
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 339
Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I'm wondering about something... if someone has a surgery coming up, for example a tummy tuck, would it help to prevent as much scaring if the area was rolled a week or two before the surgery?

_________________
To Love and to be Loved... what greator Joy can there be?
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1408
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:06 am      Reply with quote
That's an interesting idea get the skin reved up for healing. I don't know. The cutting of surgery is so much more traumatic but it couldn't hurt I would think.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 1417
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 am      Reply with quote
anomaly wrote:
I'm wondering about something... if someone has a surgery coming up, for example a tummy tuck, would it help to prevent as much scaring if the area was rolled a week or two before the surgery?


I would be careful about that and definitely consult with the doctor doing your surgery and see what they say. I don't think I would do it. My concerns are with the trauma the dermaroller creates and then the surgeon cutting into it. My thoughts: it could contribute to excess bleeding in the area.

Also check with the sites selling the dermarollers - sites where there is research, specialists available, etc.

_________________
42yo, natural strawberry blonde so fair skin, blue-eyed, and dry skin
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 2198
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:

I have 2 new rollers. I thought I ordered a 1.5mm and a 2mm. I received a 1mm and a 2mm roller. I've used the 2mm one time. I don't see a whole lot of differnce maybe a bit more bleeding.


sharky,did you use anything to protect against infection, with your 2mm? I've just ordered a 2 and a 2.5 and am interested in how people are experiencing them.

I know Zenity used iodine as a protective measure.
Gen1981
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ! I'm new here. Just to say that my english is not very good since i'm speaking french. I'm from Québec, Canada Smile

I've read a lot on this topic (derma roller), and decide to buy one. I've receive it yesterday and have done my first roll.

In my case, my problem is stretch marks. I've got a very big stretch marks problem on my arms (and everywhere) but that's the parts of my body that makes me suffer the most. I'm a young women of 27 years old. When I was a teenager, i've gained weight rapidly and my skin brokes everywhere Sad Now, I'm a nice women, with a normal weight but it's so much difficult to live with that. I don't want to wear short-sleeves shirt etc. The doctors told me that my skin is very poor. (don't know how to say it exactly but... I don't have a good skin at all).

So, yes, I've done my first roll yesterday over my arms. I've buy the 1.5mm. Didn't use any numbing cream (I'm afraid of that). But realise that the pain is not SO bad.
I have a few questions. My skin is very sensitive. I think I've maybe gone a little bit hard with the roller yesterday and 24 hours later, it still hurting. I have thinny red dots everywhere I passed the roller, I even got the marks of the roller on my skin. Is this normal after 24 hours ? And whatever I put on my skin (emu oil) it hurts. Is this normal ?

Thank you very much Smile I wish I'm gonna see some results over time Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1408
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have been worried about disinfecting the rollers. I now dip them in boiling water before and after use. I haven't gotten any infections. I often use a C serum or PSF O2 spray before and or after. I believe most of the serums have some antimicrobial action.
That said I've never had any rash or anything related to rolling. I'm sure if you went over a pimple you could spread germs.

Gen: I use a 1.5mm roller. I found that my skin toughened up over time. Use something soothing after (maybe a grren tea solution). Start slowly do not roll again until several days after you are completely healed. Good luck with the stretch marks. I believe this will help but from my experience it may take over 6 months. I have a scar on my arm that I've been rolling on and off for 4 months. About half is totally gone, the other half is somewhat reduced but still very visible. So it takes time but it does work. My hands for instance are now completely free of age/sun spots!

Keep rolling.
Gen1981
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much Sharky ! I'm positive Smile
Gen1981
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have other questions Laughing Do you think that with lots of time it can really make stretch marks go away completely ? Like after 1 1/2 years- 2 years ? Can I expect one day to wear a short-sleeve shirt and say to myself : wow, my arms looks normal !!!!!!!!

And for the products to put on it before or after the rolling... There's SO much products on the markets that I don't know what to think about them really. Is there really a big difference between a drug store cream (like, for an exemple : St-Yves collagen cream at maybe what 7$) and a collagen cream at 100$ ? Now, I have Emu Oil. It don't cost to much. I have too a cream by Vaseline that I bought for 7$. It's Age-Defining Renewal. With collagen in it and pro-retinol + AHA. It says to diminished the appearence of wrinkles, improve skin elasticity in like 4 weeks.

So I don't really know what to do. I don't want to buy a cream that cost 100$ Confused

And if for an exemple I would only use the roller without any cream, would I see results for stretch marks ? If I only use like emu oil with the Vaseline one. And I have too a bottle of Bio-Oil.

Thanks again roller girls Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 1366
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Gen1981 wrote:
I have other questions Laughing Do you think that with lots of time it can really make stretch marks go away completely ? Like after 1 1/2 years- 2 years ? Can I expect one day to wear a short-sleeve shirt and say to myself : wow, my arms looks normal !!!!!!!!

And for the products to put on it before or after the rolling... There's SO much products on the markets that I don't know what to think about them really. Is there really a big difference between a drug store cream (like, for an exemple : St-Yves collagen cream at maybe what 7$) and a collagen cream at 100$ ? Now, I have Emu Oil. It don't cost to much. I have too a cream by Vaseline that I bought for 7$. It's Age-Defining Renewal. With collagen in it and pro-retinol + AHA. It says to diminished the appearence of wrinkles, improve skin elasticity in like 4 weeks.

So I don't really know what to do. I don't want to buy a cream that cost 100$ Confused

And if for an exemple I would only use the roller without any cream, would I see results for stretch marks ? If I only use like emu oil with the Vaseline one. And I have too a bottle of Bio-Oil.

Thanks again roller girls Smile


Hello, roller girl.
Unfortunately, nobody knows what kind of results you can achieve. Hopefully you will see an improvement, like many of the roller girls before you.

I think you should go ahead and do the rolling with the creams you already have and can afford. The Vaseline cream should be fine. Just remember that emu oil should not be used the same day you roll because of its anti-inflammatory action.

I believe the rolling itself is far more important than the products.

The main difference between cheap and expensive creams/serums is usually the concentration of active and exclusive ingredients and the delivery system that enables the product to penetrate the skin.

I have only been rolling once and used a vit C serum pre- and post-rolling and avocado oil the following days.

Good luck to you. Smile

_________________
Female, 40, Norway. Normal/dry skin, starting to see signs of aging. Staples: Glycolic acid cleanser, SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF, Revaleskin, NIA24.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Gen1981 - I think you could try applying pure Vitamin E oil after rolling. My Derm told me it's the best thing for healing scars - it's also inexpensive. Just make sure its the 100% pure Vitamin E oil. Aloe Vera gel would also be good to use.
Kay2008
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 210
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Kay2008 wrote:
Just read the last couple of posts.
So now I may sound dumb.

I have invested in a 1.5mm derma roller (waiting for it to arrive in the post). I bought the 1.5mm for stretch marks, as I want it to penetrate as near as possible to the dermis area. I thought this would be for helping tretinoin, cocoa butter or whatever cream to absorb in the dermis area better.

Are the larger needles just for making collagen production? or to help creams/lotions to absorb further down?


I would say both. As the short needles will promote product penetration, I could not see why the long needles should not.

I am planning my next rolling on some scars on my legs on Friday. I still have flaking and soreness from rolling last Friday. Hopefully some of the experienced rollergirls can advise me whether to go ahead now or wait until the area is healed.


Thanks.

Just a couple of other questions... maybe someone could help me out with.

I am probably going to buy some Emla to numb the area when doing a more "harder" roll. But would Savlon Antiseptic Cream be ok to use on the skin to prevent infection? Or should I get the iodine?

I have read about the 1.5mm treatments being spaced apart. I didn't know this, I thought you could roll as often as you like (more than once a week). Learn something new everyday!

I am planning on using my dermaroller with some Tretinoin/Retin-A Gel 0.025% prescribed by my doctor for my stretch marks. Should I apply this before or after rolling?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
anomaly wrote:
I'm wondering about something... if someone has a surgery coming up, for example a tummy tuck, would it help to prevent as much scaring if the area was rolled a week or two before the surgery?



From a medical standpoint as a nurse the answer is a big fat NO, IMHO. It's never a good idea to compromise the skin integrity, and that's especially so prior to surgery. An intact skin is your best defense against infection. And you wouldn't want to take a chance of possibly causing damage to the blood vessels either.

Also keep in mind that the skin that's now around your bikini area will all be excised, and what's now above and around your belly button, will be pulled down to be your new bikini area. So you would have a lot of guess work to know exactly what skin will wind up where, if you were going to try needling prior.

Another thing you might want to mention to your Doc, is that you want and expect a pretty new belly button. Don't be afraid to make a point of that. I've seen some pretty gruesome belly buttons in the OR with Abdominoplasty surgery, because male Docs anyway, don't give a lot of thought to it. Believe me when I tell you, the belly button you wind up with will make all the difference in a natural or obvious result.

When your scar turns white, you will probably get the go ahead from your Doc to try needling, but I wouldn't expect a nod before then. (A guess on my part would be about the 8 to 12 week mark).

AFTER your surgery is over, you might benefit from 1000mg per day each of vitamin C + MSM........Ask your Doc though first.

HTH, and good luck!

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI on post roll treatment:

Here is a link where they talk about the Environ Surgical Roll-CIT (the 3mm roller), including their post care protocol. I have seen a number of articles where Dr. Fernandes mentioned the need to use a oil containing Vit A and Vit C after rolling, but never the exact name of the the Environ product they were using.

But here it is:

Quote:
Once the procedure has been completed, Environ® EssentiaA Oil should be generously applied. Skin should then be kept moist with saline soaked swabs for between one or two hours.

Instruct your patient to keep the treated area clean (using tepid water and Environ® Sebuwash) and moisturized (using Environ® Debut or a similar Environ® product containing a level of vitamin A suitable to their skin). Skin will have a tendency towards dryness and sensitivity for five to seven days post-treatment. Avoid ingestion of any systemic or topical treatments containing anti-inflammatory drugs as this will reduce the desired effects of the mild inflammatory response which initiates the healing cascade that in turn induces the new collagen and elastin complexes.

http://www.vivida.co.za/prof_surgical


And a link where it can be purchased....please note that there are TWO versions of this oil:

Environ EssentiA Oil
Highly recommended for treating sun-damage on the body and for added hydration of the face, EssentiA Oil contains vitamins A, E and C. For added benefit, EssentialA Oil can be used in conjunction with Derma-Lac Lotion. Available in a 100ml PET plastic bottle that helps to shield the active vitamins from sunlight. EssentiA Oil has a standard shelf life of 18 months unopened.

42.99 USD

Environ EssentiA Forte - this is from the Intensive line

A specially formulated nourishing oil that contains high levels of vitamins A, C and E as well as Rosemary extract intended for those who are acclimatised to the Original EssentiA. It is especially recommended for those with mature, sun-damaged skin including scarring, cellulite and stretch marks. Available in a 100ml size. Shelf life of 18 months unopened

47.99 USD

http://www.firstforskincare.com/

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 339
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
anomaly wrote:
I'm wondering about something... if someone has a surgery coming up, for example a tummy tuck, would it help to prevent as much scaring if the area was rolled a week or two before the surgery?



From a medical standpoint as a nurse the answer is a big fat NO, IMHO. It's never a good idea to compromise the skin integrity, and that's especially so prior to surgery. An intact skin is your best defense against infection. And you wouldn't want to take a chance of possibly causing damage to the blood vessels either.

Also keep in mind that the skin that's now around your bikini area will all be excised, and what's now above and around your belly button, will be pulled down to be your new bikini area. So you would have a lot of guess work to know exactly what skin will wind up where, if you were going to try needling prior.

Another thing you might want to mention to your Doc, is that you want and expect a pretty new belly button. Don't be afraid to make a point of that. I've seen some pretty gruesome belly buttons in the OR with Abdominoplasty surgery, because male Docs anyway, don't give a lot of thought to it. Believe me when I tell you, the belly button you wind up with will make all the difference in a natural or obvious result.

When your scar turns white, you will probably get the go ahead from your Doc to try needling, but I wouldn't expect a nod before then. (A guess on my part would be about the 8 to 12 week mark).

AFTER your surgery is over, you might benefit from 1000mg per day each of vitamin C + MSM........Ask your Doc though first.

HTH, and good luck!


Thank you, Kassy! Very Happy

_________________
To Love and to be Loved... what greator Joy can there be?
pinky1
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 140
Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've been trying to keep up with the posts on a daily basis, but can't recall if this concern has been dealt with yet.

I've been using the 0.5 mm. roller (from Dr. roller) on my scalp for about a month, for better absorption of rogaine. Anyway, the little metal rod that secures the needle barrel to the "Y" shaped handle has started slipping out sideways, causing the barrel to stop rolling and lurch to a halt in my hair. I can slide the rod back into place and recommence rolling, but I just wonder if this is a common occurrence or is something that happens as the roller ages.

Any thoughts?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Just a couple of other questions... maybe someone could help me out with.

I am probably going to buy some Emla to numb the area when doing a more "harder" roll. But would Savlon Antiseptic Cream be ok to use on the skin to prevent infection? Or should I get the iodine?

I have read about the 1.5mm treatments being spaced apart. I didn't know this, I thought you could roll as often as you like (more than once a week). Learn something new everyday!

I am planning on using my dermaroller with some Tretinoin/Retin-A Gel 0.025% prescribed by my doctor for my stretch marks. Should I apply this before or after rolling?


Kay, the longer the needle, the more important it is that you prevent infection. I am using a .5mm and a 1.0mm, along with Bactine Pain Relief and Cleansing Spray (an antiseptic) before and after I roll. But clear iodine is also an option for longer needles.

Regarding the Retin-A gel...I put my Retin-A cream on about an hour after I roll, but that's just me. However, I would think that the high alcohol in the gel version may really sting! Maybe test a little area before you spread it all over?

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Just an FYI on post roll treatment:

Here is a link where they talk about the Environ Surgical Roll-CIT (the 3mm roller), including their post care protocol. I have seen a number of articles where Dr. Fernandes mentioned the need to use a oil containing Vit A and Vit C after rolling, but never the exact name of the the Environ product they were using.

But here it is:

Quote:
Once the procedure has been completed, Environ® EssentiaA Oil should be generously applied. Skin should then be kept moist with saline soaked swabs for between one or two hours.

Instruct your patient to keep the treated area clean (using tepid water and Environ® Sebuwash) and moisturized (using Environ® Debut or a similar Environ® product containing a level of vitamin A suitable to their skin). Skin will have a tendency towards dryness and sensitivity for five to seven days post-treatment. Avoid ingestion of any systemic or topical treatments containing anti-inflammatory drugs as this will reduce the desired effects of the mild inflammatory response which initiates the healing cascade that in turn induces the new collagen and elastin complexes.

http://www.vivida.co.za/prof_surgical


And a link where it can be purchased....please note that there are TWO versions of this oil:

Environ EssentiA Oil
Highly recommended for treating sun-damage on the body and for added hydration of the face, EssentiA Oil contains vitamins A, E and C. For added benefit, EssentialA Oil can be used in conjunction with Derma-Lac Lotion. Available in a 100ml PET plastic bottle that helps to shield the active vitamins from sunlight. EssentiA Oil has a standard shelf life of 18 months unopened.

42.99 USD

Environ EssentiA Forte - this is from the Intensive line

A specially formulated nourishing oil that contains high levels of vitamins A, C and E as well as Rosemary extract intended for those who are acclimatised to the Original EssentiA. It is especially recommended for those with mature, sun-damaged skin including scarring, cellulite and stretch marks. Available in a 100ml size. Shelf life of 18 months unopened

47.99 USD


http://www.firstforskincare.com/


I forgot to mention that this same article recommends Environ® Ionzyme C-Quence® gel and cream PRIOR to rolling. However, since we are not doing the same intensity rolls as a medical roll, it is probably not QUITE as important as prepping for the mass onslaught of mini-wounds Shock as with the medical grade roll.

Quote:
It is essential to thoroughly prepare the skin by topically applying Vitamins A and C prior to PCI-needling. On average, one skin cycle is sufficient to make the changes in the skin necessary to promote healing, improve the resistance of the skin and augment collagen production. The use of the Environ® Ionzyme C-Quence® gel and cream is especially recommended, for a minimum period of three weeks prior to the treatment. Longer preparation periods are associated with faster healing and better results.



Environ C-Quence Crème

The C-Quence Crème provides the ideal nourishment for your skin when used in combination with the C-Quence Gels and is suitable for all skin types. Rich in highly effective antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, as well as Jojoba, pro-vitamin B5, Green Tea and Rosemary extracts, the Creme leaves the skin with a soft, velvety texture. It also contains a plant carotenoid, Vitamin B12 and a plant-derived emollient - Squalane. These antioxidants help filter out the harmful blue light rays. Available in a 35ml special airless dispenser, with side windows for easy level identification that shields the active vitamins from light and air. C-Quence Crème has a shelf life of 18 months unopened.

85.99 USD

Environ C-Quence 3 (there are actually 4 levels of this product)

C-Quence 3 is the ideal product for most people with photo-damage skin containing even higher levels of vitamins A and C. Also used to treat discolouration marks, C-Quence 3 is intended for use by those who have already acclimatised to C-Quence 1 & 2. Available in a 35ml special airless dispenser, with side windows for easy level identification. It has a shelf life of 6 months unopened.

97.99 USD

http://www.firstforskincare.com/ionzyme.html

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
pinky1 wrote:
I've been trying to keep up with the posts on a daily basis, but can't recall if this concern has been dealt with yet.

I've been using the 0.5 mm. roller (from Dr. roller) on my scalp for about a month, for better absorption of rogaine. Anyway, the little metal rod that secures the needle barrel to the "Y" shaped handle has started slipping out sideways, causing the barrel to stop rolling and lurch to a halt in my hair. I can slide the rod back into place and recommence rolling, but I just wonder if this is a common occurrence or is something that happens as the roller ages.

Any thoughts?


I would definitely contact whomever you bought it from and complain. Ask them to send you a replacement - it might also help if you tell them you are a member of this Forum. Let us know what happens.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that this same article recommends Environ® Ionzyme C-Quence® gel and cream PRIOR to rolling. However, since we are not doing the same intensity rolls as a medical roll, it is probably not QUITE as important as prepping for the mass onslaught of mini-wounds as with the medical grade roll.

Quote:
It is essential to thoroughly prepare the skin by topically applying Vitamins A and C prior to PCI-needling. On average, one skin cycle is sufficient to make the changes in the skin necessary to promote healing, improve the resistance of the skin and augment collagen production. The use of the Environ® Ionzyme C-Quence® gel and cream is especially recommended, for a minimum period of three weeks prior to the treatment. Longer preparation periods are associated with faster healing and better results.


I think prepping the skin with Retin-A serves the same purpose and if you are using a Vitamin C serum and a Vitamin E oil you should get similar benefits to those provided by the Environ products.

Incidentally, I did use the Environ products once a few years ago and thought that they were very good. I just stopped buying them because of the ongoing expense.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I think prepping the skin with Retin-A serves the same purpose and if you are using a Vitamin C serum and a Vitamin E oil you should get similar benefits to those provided by the Environ products.

Incidentally, I did use the Environ products once a few years ago and thought that they were very good. I just stopped buying them because of the ongoing expense.


Yep...I agree. The Vit A in KH Vita A Kombi may also be a good choice on an ongoing basis for people that can't use stronger Vit A topicals every day.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Kay2008
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 210
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:31 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Kay2008 wrote:
Just a couple of other questions... maybe someone could help me out with.

I am probably going to buy some Emla to numb the area when doing a more "harder" roll. But would Savlon Antiseptic Cream be ok to use on the skin to prevent infection? Or should I get the iodine?

I have read about the 1.5mm treatments being spaced apart. I didn't know this, I thought you could roll as often as you like (more than once a week). Learn something new everyday!

I am planning on using my dermaroller with some Tretinoin/Retin-A Gel 0.025% prescribed by my doctor for my stretch marks. Should I apply this before or after rolling?


Kay, the longer the needle, the more important it is that you prevent infection. I am using a .5mm and a 1.0mm, along with Bactine Pain Relief and Cleansing Spray (an antiseptic) before and after I roll. But clear iodine is also an option for longer needles.

Regarding the Retin-A gel...I put my Retin-A cream on about an hour after I roll, but that's just me. However, I would think that the high alcohol in the gel version may really sting! Maybe test a little area before you spread it all over?


Hey bethany,

Yes I should have thought of that. I will be sure to test a little area first. Cor imagine the stinging if I just wacked it on over a larger area the first time lol OUCH.

As for antiseptics, I am not sure where I could purchase iodine from? (I am in the UK)... also not sure about bactine either.

As long as it's an antiseptic lotion, cream, gel or spray... it should be ok?

PS: My 1.5mm dermaroller arrived in the post this morning from Nova Clinic! 1 week delivery time, very good indeed.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 1170
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
For Gen....
I was thinking about the irritation you experienced after rolling and my immediate thought was to apply OAT BETA GLUCANS.
Here is some info on it. I copied this article for you:

OAT BETA GLUCAN'S ANTIWRINKLE PROMISE
Everybody knows that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. " Everybody in the cosmetic industry knows that it is almost as hard to make large biopolymers, like proteins or glucosaminoglycans, penetrate deeply into the skin when applied in a cream. In fact, transdermal delivery of growth factors and other large, highly specific actives is as close to the Holy Grail of skin care as a topical treatment can get.

Surprisingly, preliminary research indicates that a biopolymer from oat called beta-glucan may be capable of both penetrating deep into the skin and delivering significant skin benefits. Beta-glucan is a linear polymer consisting of glucose molecules linked together in a particular fashion. It has a long history of safe use in skin care and dermatology as a long-lasting, film-forming moisturizer. It has also been shown to work as anti-irritant and to speed up healing of shallow abrasions and partial thickness burns. Beta-glucan appears to enhance wound healing through several mechanisms including the stimulation of collagen deposition, activation of immune cells and so forth. Beta-glucans are found in various natural sources, such as cereals and yeast; oat beta-glucan being the most active.

While the utility of beta-glucan in moisturizing and healing minor wounds and burns has been fairly well established, the evidence of its anti-wrinkle effects on the intact skin has emerged only recently. In a 2005 study published in the magazine of International Federation of Societies of Cosmetic Chemists, Dr Pillai and colleagues investigated skin penetration and anti-aging effects of topical oat beta-glucan. In a penetration experiment on isolated skin sections, the researchers found that beta-glucan penetrated the epidermis and reached the dermis by passing in the gaps between cells. After 8 hours of treatment with 0.5% beta-glucan solution, 28% of the applied beta-glucan entered the skin and as much as 4% reached the dermis (i.e. the layer where wrinkles form). Unfortunately, the validity of this experiment remains in question because the skin sections used in the experiment were frozen and then treated with gamma radiation, which may have altered their permeability. Dr Pillai and colleagues also treated 27 subjects with 0.1 % topical beta-glucan or placebo twice daily for eight weeks, assigned randomly, using a half-face design. By the end of the study, beta-glucan treated areas fared significantly better than placebo, with wrinkles and roughness diminishing by about 10-15%. Skin firmness (tensile strength) also increased.

The evidence of beta-glucan's effects on the intact skin is encouraging but a number of questions remain. Will these results be confirmed by other researchers and via different methods? Is such skin firming sustainable in the long term with or without continued use? Assuming beta-glucan indeed stimulates collagen deposition in the intact skin, what is the mechanism of this effect? Dr Pillai and colleagues theorize that beta-
glucan stimulates collagen by inducing the release of immune/inflammatory mediators, such as IL-1 and NFkB. If true, stimulating inflammatory response may not be the optimal way to strengthen the collagen network because inflammation may have negative side effects. Also, the ratio of collagen types deposited in response to inflammation may not be optimal in the long term. On the other hand, oat beta-glucan has a long history of safe use. Furthermore, many skin rejuvenation methods, including skin peels, dermabrasion, laser treatments and others work via controlled skin damage, which induces inflammation and subsequent collagen deposition and skin remodeling.

What does all this mean for practical skin care? The most prudent approach is to wait for more research on beta-glucan. This may take a long time though. Skin care research has low profile in terms of funding and beta-glucan formulations are hard to patent because it is a natural ingredient. On the other hand, oat beta-glucan has a long history of safe use in skin care and may be worth a try even before definitive research is available. The simplest way to give it a try is to use a moisturizer containing colloidal oatmeal such as Aveeno. Unfortunately, it is unclear whether products with colloidal oatmeal contain sufficient amounts of oat beta-glucan to match those used in the study. Also, when beta-glucan is mostly trapped inside colloidal oatmeal particles, its capacity to penetrate the skin, if any, may be reduced. Nonetheless, colloidal oatmeal is an effective and long-lasting moisturizing ingredient and anti-irritant. People with dry skin may want to try a colloidal oatmeal product for the sake of skin hydration and soothing if nothing else.
[/i]

I bought mine from Garden of Wisdom, 2oz for $10. (US) www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html

Roll on!

_________________
Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Gen1981
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Gen1981 wrote:
I have other questions Laughing Do you think that with lots of time it can really make stretch marks go away completely ? Like after 1 1/2 years- 2 years ? Can I expect one day to wear a short-sleeve shirt and say to myself : wow, my arms looks normal !!!!!!!!

And for the products to put on it before or after the rolling... There's SO much products on the markets that I don't know what to think about them really. Is there really a big difference between a drug store cream (like, for an exemple : St-Yves collagen cream at maybe what 7$) and a collagen cream at 100$ ? Now, I have Emu Oil. It don't cost to much. I have too a cream by Vaseline that I bought for 7$. It's Age-Defining Renewal. With collagen in it and pro-retinol + AHA. It says to diminished the appearence of wrinkles, improve skin elasticity in like 4 weeks.

So I don't really know what to do. I don't want to buy a cream that cost 100$ Confused

And if for an exemple I would only use the roller without any cream, would I see results for stretch marks ? If I only use like emu oil with the Vaseline one. And I have too a bottle of Bio-Oil.

Thanks again roller girls Smile


Hello, roller girl.
Unfortunately, nobody knows what kind of results you can achieve. Hopefully you will see an improvement, like many of the roller girls before you.

I think you should go ahead and do the rolling with the creams you already have and can afford. The Vaseline cream should be fine. Just remember that emu oil should not be used the same day you roll because of its anti-inflammatory action.

I believe the rolling itself is far more important than the products.

The main difference between cheap and expensive creams/serums is usually the concentration of active and exclusive ingredients and the delivery system that enables the product to penetrate the skin.

I have only been rolling once and used a vit C serum pre- and post-rolling and avocado oil the following days.

Good luck to you. Smile


Thank you very very much, and Keliu, I'll buy probably the vitamin E to help.

Is it normal that it itch like that ? :S I'm 2 days post rolling and my skin itch really bad !!! Yesterday too, same thing. Yesterday, I've stratch myself a little bit (on my arm)and my skin became very red,a little bit like a burn but it looks too like my veins have like explosed. I don't know how to describe it in english, sorry. This morning, it's better a little bit.
My skin is so sensitive :S And I'm prone to eczéma too.

Thank you very much
Wink
Gen1981
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Oh, thank you very much mountaingirl for the informations ! I appreciate it a lot !!!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber De-Tox Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Pevonia Spa Clinica Pro Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturizer (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Tanda ZAP - White