Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



DermaRoller

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
mariah
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 78
Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Bethany- you are awesome and well deserving of your honorary title Very Happy ... when I get my roller, I will post info on what it looks like. From the photo, it looks sort of goldish: in case anyone else wants to chance it with me.... Smile this is where I got it (ebay) for only $32.-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120326658733
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
mariah wrote:
thanks Bethany- you are awesome and well deserving of your honorary title Very Happy ... when I get my roller, I will post info on what it looks like. From the photo, it looks sort of goldish: in case anyone else wants to chance it with me.... Smile this is where I got it (ebay) for only $32.-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120326658733


I checked it out...it is definitely not a Dr. Roller (though that does not make it bad). Check it closely for bent or loose needles before using.

I would personally suggest that you pick one of the 3 providers that are on the Discounted Dermarollers thread for your next roller...everyone has had good luck with all 3, and we can't say the same for the ultra cheap ones from ebay. Just keep in mind that you are puncturing HOLES in your FACE...this is not the place where I would pinch pennies (and I definitely mean that in a tough love kind of way).

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
So I am all lubed up with my new EMLA, and I am waiting to roll!

My last roll was on 10/18, and I normally do NOT like to roll more than once a month. But I was dying to try the EMLA, and these forehead lines look even worse now that the rest of my lines are so greatly diminished. Rolling Eyes And if I have even a remote thought of rolling, I go with it since I hate doing it so much. So I have coated myself up, and started pouring the wine!

I will say that the EMLA already feels a bit different than the Climax Spray...it has been about 20 mins and I am definitely getting numb. I may go spread another coat on just to make sure that I am (hopefully) numb enough.

Stay tuned for the update...


So the roll is finished...I look like a lobster. Confused

- The good news is that I only needed 2 glasses of wine when using the EMLA, as opposed to 5 or 6! And I definitely had a more productive roll with the longer needles than I would have had without it.

- The bad news is that it does wear off rather quickly...I still had to spray some Climax spray on after I wiped off the EMLA in the areas that started to regain feeling rather quickly.

- It will take me a little time to figure out the best way to do this using the EMLA, and the optimal amount to apply. But I will definitely be reordering because I think it will be required for me to utilize the longer needles.

- One thing I did notice (since I was sober) was that I roll with a VERY firm hand. I am not a wuss roller by any means (WAY firmer than I had thought!), and maybe that is why I have had such great results...those needles are pressed in as far as possible.

- I also bled majorly this time due to the longer needles...if I had not kept wiping off the blood with a cotton square soaked with Bactine, I would have looked just like the bloody picture on that article. Shock

- I ended up doing my face and neck (with the EMLA) and my hands and arms (with the Climax Spray). Tomorrow night I am (hopefully) going to do my chest and breasts.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jan 2006
Posts: 414
Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,you just amaze me. Shock I dread and put off rolling,da pain,da pain !!
You're really seeing some good results from all this ??? right ???
I did a 40 % Lactic acid peel 4 days ago and have been using Retin A nightly and VitC in the mornings. I'm slightly flaking.
How do you decide WHEN you need to roll ?
Hi Planti,welcome and I know you're going to love this place. What kind of peel did you use?
also welcome Mariah so glad you joined us here too.Bethany has helped us all so much,I totally trust her.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 am      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:
Bethany,you just amaze me. Shock I dread and put off rolling,da pain,da pain !!
You're really seeing some good results from all this ??? right ???
I did a 40 % Lactic acid peel 4 days ago and have been using Retin A nightly and VitC in the mornings. I'm slightly flaking.
How do you decide WHEN you need to roll ?


If I was not seeing the results, I would NOT be putting myself through this torture! I am worried about whether I will ever see significant results on my forehead lines though...we'll have to see what the longer needles do.

As far as when I roll, I like to do an intense roll every 4 to 6 weeks. I may sneak another one in occasion if I feel like it, but I never roll more often than every 2 weeks.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Cini
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 25
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I have several Dr. Rollers and was wondering if anybody knows how long they stay "sharp"?
How many rolls are they good for?
If they get blunt it probably would not be good for the skin and does one notice when they go blunt?
TIA
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 360
Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

So the roll is finished...I look like a lobster. Confused

- The good news is that I only needed 2 glasses of wine when using the EMLA, as opposed to 5 or 6!... One thing I did notice (since I was sober) was that I roll with a VERY firm hand. I am not a wuss roller by any means (WAY firmer than I had thought!), and maybe that is why I have had such great results...those needles are pressed in as far as possible.

- I also bled majorly this time due to the longer needles...if I had not kept wiping off the blood with a cotton square soaked with Bactine, I would have looked just like the bloody picture on that article. Shock


Wow, Bethany! You are one tough lady! Kudos to you for being such a trooper - and being kind enough to share your stories with the rest of us. I can't wait to hear what your results will be - as I'm sure they'll be quite impressive.

As for me, I think I definitely need to stock up on the numbing creams before I take up rolling again. I'm such a lightweight drinker - that if I tried the 5-6 glasses of wine technique - I'd end up rolling everything. (My face, the dog, the rabbit, the couch, the front door...) Yeah, probably not a pretty sight for me - or the neighbors!

So, question for you, Bethany. You're currently doing the Nu Derm regimen on your face, correct? Do you mind me asking what day/week you're on - and how you determined you were ready for rolling? (I'd like to start rolling myself - but I think my skin right now is still traumatized by the Nu Derm - since I'm only on week 2)

Thanks in advance!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Cini wrote:
I have several Dr. Rollers and was wondering if anybody knows how long they stay "sharp"?
How many rolls are they good for?
If they get blunt it probably would not be good for the skin and does one notice when they go blunt?
TIA


The longer needles get blunt sooner than the shorter needles due to the electric charge associated with penetrating the skin.

I noticed that mine are looking like they need to be replaced at about 5.5 months...not necessarily because of dull needles, but perhaps due to the enzyme cleanser. I can see some little cracks around the needle disks, and a chunk of one broke off while it is was in the bubbling cleanser. (but the cracks could also be due to me dropping them) Embarassed

So I am planning to replace mine every 6 months to be on the safe (and sharp) side. However, I may test NOT using the denture tablets as frequently and see if they last longer.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Cini
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 25
Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, thank you for always being so very helpful Very Happy
I roll every 6 weeks with the 1.5 and will replace the rollers after 6 times unless I see/feel deterioration earlier.
I got the 3-line roller last week (very fast shipping again from Jack) and did a roll this morning.
I used the 1.5 for the face and the 1.0 3-line for eyes and nose.
I don't think I roll aggressively enough, there is hardly any blood. Only the occasional micro droplet, but I am red in the face and I do feel tight and warm. It feels and looks like a sunburn.
Tomorrow I'll get Botox and I'll ask if I can get an Rx for a better numbing cream. The one I have is very mild and it hurts to roll, especially on the nose
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Cini wrote:
Bethany, thank you for always being so very helpful Very Happy
I roll every 6 weeks with the 1.5 and will replace the rollers after 6 times unless I see/feel deterioration earlier.
I got the 3-line roller last week (very fast shipping again from Jack) and did a roll this morning.
I used the 1.5 for the face and the 1.0 3-line for eyes and nose.
I don't think I roll aggressively enough, there is hardly any blood. Only the occasional micro droplet, but I am red in the face and I do feel tight and warm. It feels and looks like a sunburn.
Tomorrow I'll get Botox and I'll ask if I can get an Rx for a better numbing cream. The one I have is very mild and it hurts to roll, especially on the nose


Cini, I know exactly what you mean about it hurting to roll, sigh. I would love to know what they prescribe you, so please keep us posted!

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
So, question for you, Bethany. You're currently doing the Nu Derm regimen on your face, correct? Do you mind me asking what day/week you're on - and how you determined you were ready for rolling? (I'd like to start rolling myself - but I think my skin right now is still traumatized by the Nu Derm - since I'm only on week 2)


I stopped Nu Derm due to the extreme irritation and redness, and will be starting back up at only 2x a week per my Derm's recommendation. But I will wait until the end of this week (or maybe next week) to start Nu Derm again since I just rolled.

In your case, I would not recommend rolling until you reach the "tolerence" stage with Nu Derm and your irritation declines. Skin can only remodel so quickly, and you already have enough going on if you are using Nu Derm every day.

I typically only roll once every 4 to 6 weeks, since doing it too frequently causes heightened sensitivity for me, and I also do not believe that ongoing levels of inflammation are good for your skin. I may roll more frequently on occasion if I have a wild hair, but never more often than every 2 weeks on the same area.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 789
Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Guys, I did a VERY light roll with my 1.5mm roller this past Wed. evening. I'm really want to peel under my eyes! I'm getting vertical lines that are wanting to extend down into my cheek area. Mad When can I safely roll again. The next morning after my last roll, you couldn't even tell I had done anything.
I've been rolling for about 4 months now. I don't look any better. Mad I have a real texture problem all around my chin. ????

_________________
60 Caucasion, history of acne, some sagging, some wrinkling, rough texture. Using Dermawand, AALS, Microderm Machine,Copper Peptides
Planti
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Nov 2008
Posts: 9
Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the welcoming words. You are fun to read, perhaps I will have a few glasses of red medicine and roll the goldfish, or should I say roller the goldfish?

Have used Neutrogena Advanced Solutions post acne mark fading peel it is pretty gentle. I already have very very thin skin. Nervous about my face getting redder, thankfully wine is not on my list of triggers.

Bethany, I am really impressed with your fortitude. I looked at the hamburger faced lady and was a little put off. I know you will tell us how it turns out.

Though I don't mind putting up with pain, blood and temporary lumpiness on other body parts I can't do that with my face, lots of people contact in my job.

Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with weird skin ailment called DSAP (Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis)? I have read that rolling is not advised over some skin abnormalities. I tried it on a limited bit of the DSAP skin on my arm and like laser, sunshine, x-rays it seemed to make it redder. That subsided to same as other arm after a couple of weeks. I am not expecting to get rid of it with rolling but would love to strengthen my skin so it won't get those awful superficial bleeds that make one look like a blueberry muffin.

My last question is about nose rolling when you have a greasy, blackhead collecting, postmenopausal, large pored and reddish nose? Sounds charming, but that is my description, with a little concealer midface and on blue hollows under eyes I can usually go with only a tinted moisturizer. Oh can you get rid of blue hollows with needling? So many questions. Sorry.

Oh and no CPs or just not with the roller?
mariah
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 78
Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies!
Thanks for the warm welcome...and thanks Bethany for the warning on the cheapo roller I purchased Embarassed
I think I will try it at least once and see if I have the fortitude to attempt this seemingly masochistic task Exclamation All in the name of beauty!
I will clean it thoroughly, and start saving pennies for 'the real thing' Smile
Has anyone used this on scars?
Also- what about marionette lines?
thank you
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Guys, I did a VERY light roll with my 1.5mm roller this past Wed. evening. I'm really want to peel under my eyes! I'm getting vertical lines that are wanting to extend down into my cheek area. Mad When can I safely roll again. The next morning after my last roll, you couldn't even tell I had done anything.
I've been rolling for about 4 months now. I don't look any better. Mad I have a real texture problem all around my chin. ????


When did the vertical lines show up? If it was fairly recently, your skin could be dehyrated. What about the texture problem around your chin...is this new or old?

I would not roll more often than once a week with a 1.5mm. And what is your reasoning to do a light roll? If you are looking for a collagen and elastin development, you need to be fairly aggressive, and ensure that you have heavily needled the skin.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Planti wrote:
My last question is about nose rolling when you have a greasy, blackhead collecting, postmenopausal, large pored and reddish nose? Sounds charming, but that is my description, with a little concealer midface and on blue hollows under eyes I can usually go with only a tinted moisturizer. Oh can you get rid of blue hollows with needling? So many questions. Sorry.

Oh and no CPs or just not with the roller?


If you roll and apply Retin A, you should definitely see improvement on your nose. I would suggest using RA a couple of times a week though.

I can't really speak to the blue hollows though, as I don't have those. Rolling has tightened the skin under my eyes though, made vein seem to disappear, and gotten rid of my milia completely.

As far as the CPs are concerned, they are one of those YMMV things. Some people have had great results. Others (like me) have enountered the horrible CP uglies. Even though I used only the weakest strength under my eyes, I developed some horrible cross-hatched lines that took over 6 months to go away. I am using up my stash by applying them only after I roll if I happen to think of it, but I will not be repurchasing.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
mariah wrote:
Hello ladies!
Thanks for the warm welcome...and thanks Bethany for the warning on the cheapo roller I purchased Embarassed
I think I will try it at least once and see if I have the fortitude to attempt this seemingly masochistic task Exclamation All in the name of beauty!
I will clean it thoroughly, and start saving pennies for 'the real thing' Smile
Has anyone used this on scars?
Also- what about marionette lines?
thank you


I have seen some pics of scar improvement online...this is one area where CPs might come in handy. Typically for scars youw ill need a 1.5mm or a 2.0mm to break up the scar tissue.

Marionette lines might see some improvement over time if they are not too deep, but I would suggest looking into some facial exercise (Flexeffect.com) or some fillers if you are looking for results sooner rather than later.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
tessera
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Oct 2008
Posts: 210
Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Marionette lines might see some improvement over time if they are not too deep, but I would suggest looking into some facial exercise ... or some fillers if you are looking for results sooner rather than later.


This is more like a general question for Bethany, but I didn't know how to do it without a quote. (Still learning, here.) I've seen commentary going both ways about using a LED after rolling, but I'm not clear on the problem. I thought the point of rolling is to cause fibroblast proliferation: "When the skin is microneedled, cells react to this intrusion by changing their internal electrical potential. This electrical charge in return stimulates skin cells to release chemical compositions, protein and growth factors. Proliferated skin cells, such as fibroblasts, migrate to the point of injury and transform into collagen fibers." [quote source edited as external site ].

Likewise, LED use also results in fibroblast proliferation, without the necessity of an inflammatory trigger: "CONCLUSION: LED and LLL irradiation resulted in an increased fibroblast proliferation in vitro." [Quote source edited as external site.]

So my question is, why would it be a problem to use a LED after rolling, if the purpose of both is to cause fibroblast proliferation. Maybe the best procedure would be to wait a few hours after rolling to get the "cascade" process going, then use the LED? What do you think?

P.S. I can provide the quote sources, but I'm not allowed to post them yet...

_________________
50+, fair brown/brown, Obagi, L2K, AALS; battling: pigmentation, crepeyness, sag
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 789
Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, I did a very light roll last Wed. because I had given myself a microderm with my home machine, and applied 15% TCA a week before. Normally, when I roll, I am fairly agressive. I def experience some pain. I've been rolling once every 2 weeks. It's amazing to me that I don't really peel. (I also use retin-a 2-3 times/week.) I noticed the vertical lines under my eyes back during the summer. Maybe my skin is dehydrated, as you suggest, under the eyes. When I look very closely, the skin looks like it has a thin layer that "wants" to peel there, but never does. The rough texture all over my chin comes from some scarring from acne and an overly aggressive profesesional dermabrasion. I didn't aftercare properly because I didn't know how,and it messed up the texture. Thank you for asking.

_________________
60 Caucasion, history of acne, some sagging, some wrinkling, rough texture. Using Dermawand, AALS, Microderm Machine,Copper Peptides
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Bethany, I did a very light roll last Wed. because I had given myself a microderm with my home machine, and applied 15% TCA a week before. Normally, when I roll, I am fairly agressive. I def experience some pain. I've been rolling once every 2 weeks. It's amazing to me that I don't really peel. (I also use retin-a 2-3 times/week.) I noticed the vertical lines under my eyes back during the summer. Maybe my skin is dehydrated, as you suggest, under the eyes. When I look very closely, the skin looks like it has a thin layer that "wants" to peel there, but never does. The rough texture all over my chin comes from some scarring from acne and an overly aggressive profesesional dermabrasion. I didn't aftercare properly because I didn't know how,and it messed up the texture. Thank you for asking.


I would up the Retin A frequency...you will definitely peel. But combining Retin A, peels, microdermabrasion, AND rolling sounds like overkill to me.

I would suggest looking up some of ChinaChatters' posts....she was rolling, doing peels, etc. and basically overdid it. It resulted in severely dehydrated skin and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
bethany wrote:

Marionette lines might see some improvement over time if they are not too deep, but I would suggest looking into some facial exercise ... or some fillers if you are looking for results sooner rather than later.


This is more like a general question for Bethany, but I didn't know how to do it without a quote. (Still learning, here.) I've seen commentary going both ways about using a LED after rolling, but I'm not clear on the problem. I thought the point of rolling is to cause fibroblast proliferation: "When the skin is microneedled, cells react to this intrusion by changing their internal electrical potential. This electrical charge in return stimulates skin cells to release chemical compositions, protein and growth factors. Proliferated skin cells, such as fibroblasts, migrate to the point of injury and transform into collagen fibers." [quote source edited as external site ].

Likewise, LED use also results in fibroblast proliferation, without the necessity of an inflammatory trigger: "CONCLUSION: LED and LLL irradiation resulted in an increased fibroblast proliferation in vitro." [Quote source edited as external site.]

So my question is, why would it be a problem to use a LED after rolling, if the purpose of both is to cause fibroblast proliferation. Maybe the best procedure would be to wait a few hours after rolling to get the "cascade" process going, then use the LED? What do you think?

P.S. I can provide the quote sources, but I'm not allowed to post them yet...


Here is the publication you were referring to:

Quote:
Increased fibroblast proliferation induced by light emitting diode and low power laser irradiation.
Vinck EM, Cagnie BJ, Cornelissen MJ, Declercq HA, Cambier DC.
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Ghent University, 9000 Ghent, Belgium. elke.vinck@ugent.be

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: As Light Emitting Diode (LED) devices are commercially introduced as an alternative for Low Level Laser (LLL) Therapy, the ability of LED in influencing wound healing processes at cellular level was examined. STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS: Cultured fibroblasts were treated in a controlled, randomized manner, during three consecutive days, either with an infrared LLL or with a LED light source emitting several wavelengths (950 nm, 660 nm and 570 nm) and respective power outputs. Treatment duration varied in relation to varying surface energy densities (radiant exposures). RESULTS: Statistical analysis revealed a higher rate of proliferation (p < 0.001) in all irradiated cultures in comparison with the controls. Green light yielded a significantly higher number of cells, than red (p < 0.001) and infrared LED light (p < 0.001) and than the cultures irradiated with the LLL (p < 0.001); the red probe provided a higher increase (p < 0.001) than the infrared LED probe and than the LLL source. CONCLUSION: LED and LLL irradiation resulted in an increased fibroblast proliferation in vitro. This study therefore postulates possible stimulatory effects on wound healing in vivo at the applied dosimetric parameters.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12928819



While LEDs may help stimulate fibroplasts, they also decrease inflammation. As you can see from the quotes below, the inflammation phase is critical to the release of MANY enzymes and growth factors critical to wound healing. And the longer the inflammation phase, the more collagen that is ultimately developed.

This is one of those areas where people need to educate themselves and do what they feel is right for their particular instance.

I personally try to follow the professional protocol as closely as possible in order to maximize my collagen development (that is includes the process as well as the topicals) And if more inflammation = more collagen (my ultimate goal) then I am not going to do anything that decreases inflammation. If I only roll monthly, that still leaves me 3 full weeks to use my LED without jeopardizing any of my collagen development. Of course, if we start seeing clinicals with experienced pros changing their process and using LEDs after dermarolling, then you bet I'll change my mind. But until that time, I will follow their process as close as feasibly possible.

Some people find using an LED very soothing right after rolling...I am not looking for soothing, so I don't. At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer....you only have to pick what is right for YOU.


Quote:

Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Collagen Induction
Desmond Fernandes, MB, BCh, FRCS(Edin)

http://www.dermogenesis.com/roll-cit/Clinics_of_N_Am_2005.pdf

Why percutaneous collagen induction works
PCI results from the natural response to wounding of the skin, even though the wound is minute and mainly subcutaneous. ... A completely different picture emerges when thousands or tens of thousands of fine pricks are placed close to each other and one gets a field effect, because the bleeding is virtually confluent. This promotes the normal post-traumatic release of growth factors and infiltration of fibroblasts. This reaction is automatic and produces a surge of activity that inevitably leads to the fibroblasts being ‘‘instructed’’ to produce more collagen and elastin. The collagen is laid down in the upper dermis just below the basal layer of the epidermis (Fig. 12).

It now becomes important to understand the process of inflammation in detail. An excellent reference on this topic is the chapter ‘‘Wound Healing’’ by Falabela and Falanga in The Biology of the Skin [9]. There are three phases in wound healing:

Phase I: inflammation, which starts immediately after the injury
Phase II: proliferation (tissue formation), which starts after about 5 days and lasts about 8 weeks
Phase III: tissue remodeling, from 8 weeks to about 1 year

Phase I: initial injury

The inflammation phase starts when the needles prick the skin and rupture blood vessels and blood cells and serum gets into the surrounding tissue (Fig. 13). Platelets are important in causing clotting and releasing chemotactic factors, which cause an invasion of other platelets, leucocytes, and fibroblasts. The leucocytes, particularly neutrophils, then act on the damaged tissue to remove debris and kill bacteria. After the platelets have been activated by exposure to thrombin and collagen, they release numerous cytokines. This process involves a complex concatenation of numerous factors that are important in (1) controlling the formation of a clot (eg, fibrinogen, fibronectin, von Willebrand factor, thrombospondin, ADP, and thromboxane); (2) increasing vascular permeability, which then allows the neutrophils to pass through the vessel walls and enter the damaged area; (3) attracting neutrophils and monocytes; and (4) recruiting fibroblasts into the wounded area.
...

Phase II: the period for tissue proliferation
...
Collagen type III is the dominant form of collagen in the early wound-healing phase and becomes maximal 5 to 7 days after injury. The longer the initial phase, the greater the production of collagen type III.

http://www.dermogenesis.com/roll-cit/Clinics_of_N_Am_2005.pdf

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I just have to jump in here, and share a thought or five, so please allow me to do this publicly;

- No, I haven't used a Derma Roller yet, but I try not to never say never.

- This is probably theee most interesting thread at EDS, and I enjoy reading it every chance I get.

- The information Beth has shared both from her personal experience, and all of her research is just unbelievable. The wealth of information available in these pages is staggering...I know for sure that I have learned much from it, so can only imagine the help it is for the actual roller girls..

Beth and I have butted heads on a couple of occassions here at EDS, and I believe it had to do with the two of us just being very passionate about what we believe in. I also believe we are more alike than either of us cares to admit.. Shock (I'm basing this solely on the thoughts I have when reading her post's... and thinking; Jeez that's what I do, that's what I think, that's what I would tell her..It's especially apparrent in the middle of the night, because we are also both Insomniacs with Fibromyalgia.. Laughing )

Anway, with that said, I really just wanted to give credit where credit is due, and thank Beth for her contributions...

Thanks Beth from the bottom of my

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
JenJ
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 122
Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
These last several pages have provided the needed kick in the rear that I've needed to start rolling again.

I completed a series of 6 (weekly peels) with my 1.5mm roller earlier this Spring. Very pleased with my results - thicker skin and pigmentation mark on my lower left jawline is almost gone.

I completed my roll on Saturday night. Wish we could find a super duper numbing cream. The stuff I ordered last Spring just isn't strong enough. Think I'll pull out an ice pack and try that next.

Question: Has anyone rolled the area under their chin and experienced any tightening? I actually had a consultation last week because I'm starting to feel a little loosening under my chin. He told me that I didn't have enough to lipo so I'm wondering if will take care of that.

Any thoughts?
mariah
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 78
Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
My roller came in the mail today.
My dear husband looked at it and (literally) gasped and said: you are going to use THAT on your face?
My cheapo roller came in a metal canister labeled CSI Mesoroller. It is 1.5, and as far as I can see-- no bent probes (what are these called? Nails? whew! ... not sure I will be up to this! Rolling Eyes ).
Question: on Thursday last week-that's 4 days ago- I had a peel done. When can I do my first roll? Would it be better if I do it now that my skin is sensitive, or should I wait a few days?
Thank you!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
JenJ wrote:
Question: Has anyone rolled the area under their chin and experienced any tightening? I actually had a consultation last week because I'm starting to feel a little loosening under my chin. He told me that I didn't have enough to lipo so I'm wondering if will take care of that.

Any thoughts?


Jen, have you considered either FlexEffect (very comprehensive, but time consuming) or the Facial Flex (only 4 mins a day, but doesn't do the upper face).

I bought both...I haven't started the Flex Effect yet, but I did start the Facial Flex and saw results along my jawline in 2 weeks. (way faster and less painful than rolling!)

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Decleor Prolagene Lift, Lift & Firm Day Cream - Normal Skin (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Dr Dennis Gross Age Erase Moisture with Mega 10 Plus for Eyes (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Bremenn Clinical Strength Smooth Serum (50 ml / 1.7 floz)