Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
gumgirl wrote:
I've used Emla twice with my 1.5 dermaroller. However, I obviously did not read the directions on the package since I never placed an occlusive dressing (aka plastic wrap) after applying the EMLA.

Is everyone using plastic wrap? I have the opportunity to do an aggressive Bethan type roll since I have 6 days away from work. Very Happy

I have not used plastic wrap thus far...the thought of wrapping it around my head bothers me a bit, but if there is one thing I have learned on this forum, it is to Never say Never!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Everybody, Bethany, I just saw your pic posted Nov. 9. My oh my! Shock

I'm just glad my face wasn't on there! It could have haunted for the rest of my life! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Oh my..that sounds horrid! I would expect that there is still some residual inflammation, but hopefully after a couple of months the micro-inflammation will be completely gone and any scar will be as well!

That's what I'm hoping for... But, at least now I have a tool to deal with things *before* they become scars. I figured if I dermarolled while the "ding" was still healing - it would be better than if I waited until it was definitely a scar.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
I found the Isocol Rubbing Alcohol on the weekend but it doesn't come in a spray. I plan to use it for soaking the roller every few weeks but I also want a spray so that I can spray the brush every time before I use it.

I want something to clean and wipe down my face before and after a roll. Do you think I can use a very weak Dettol solution for wiping down my face?

Hi Ninetynine -

I think it's would be appropriate and safe to use a small spray bottle to apply the alcohol to your dermaroller for disinfection. (You can find small empty spray bottles at any beauty supply shop - or drugstore, I think...)

As for cleaning your face after the roll - I'm pretty sure straight alcohol would be too harsh. I'm not familiar with Dettol - but from what I've read on my searches - it contains chlorine atoms. It's a disinfectant - like Lysol - and may be better suited for household cleaning, rather than your face?? http://ykalaska.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/dettol-man-or-lysol-too-much-of-a-good-sanitizer-can-kill/ (If it's the correct Dettol I'm thinking of.) I think a good rinse with a proper facial cleanser and lots of water would be sufficient. IMHO...

There are so many airborne particles and bacteria already present on our skin - that I think that it's pretty near impossible to get a completely sterile face after a roll... And even if we could manage to totally sterilize - as soon as we started walking around - or touched our face, we'd introduce those darned bacteria! Wink

If you're really worried about cleanliness after a roll, though - it may be helpful to consider a povidone iodine scrub solution? That's the stuff that the surgeons use to prep a surgical site - so it might be useful. http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/100004240.html

Anyway - sorry for babbling on - but hope this helps!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
gumgirl wrote:
I've used Emla twice with my 1.5 dermaroller. However, I obviously did not read the directions on the package since I never placed an occlusive dressing (aka plastic wrap) after applying the EMLA.

Is everyone using plastic wrap? I have the opportunity to do an aggressive Bethan type roll since I have 6 days away from work. Very Happy

I actually did use some wrap,but I had cut it into sections that fit diff areas of my face (one for a cheek, one for over the lips, one for the forehead, etc.)

I did notice that it worked better on the spots that were covered by the wrap the best.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
The need to bleedjavascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Hi Bethany and other bravehearts,

When I first heard about dermarollers three years ago, my first thought was that hole poking is what the lasers do to get the skin responding with collagen and elastin production. I asked my derm about it, but he wanted to use his cool new expensive machine on me. I got a couple of free trial treatments. I didn't think I bled - but I didn't see my face before they had wiped it down and coated it with sunscreen. I still have a huge tube of prescription numbing cream from those episodes.

I've looked at my dermarollers every day since seeing Bethany's pictures. Every day I put it off.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
chinachatters wrote:
When I first heard about dermarollers three years ago, my first thought was that hole poking is what the lasers do to get the skin responding with collagen and elastin production. I asked my derm about it, but he wanted to use his cool new expensive machine on me. I got a couple of free trial treatments. I didn't think I bled - but I didn't see my face before they had wiped it down and coated it with sunscreen. I still have a huge tube of prescription numbing cream from those episodes.

I've looked at my dermarollers every day since seeing Bethany's pictures. Every day I put it off.

China, I did 4 Fraxel treatments which *theoretically* are supposed to create wounds and kickstart collagen production. It ended up being a HUGE waste of $3500 for me, and possibly baked in my pigmentation for good. Mad My conclusion was that derms always recommend 1) what is new/cool, and 2) makes them the most money. But I did feel some satisfaction when my derm recently asked me for info on dermarolling after seeing my rolling improvements. Very Happy

As far as rolling...you used to dermaroll, so what changed? Don't let my pics scare you, because not everyone bleeds like that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Note: For sterilising rollers - denture tablets such as Polident are quick and easy to use.
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:25 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Ninetynine wrote:
I found the Isocol Rubbing Alcohol on the weekend but it doesn't come in a spray. I plan to use it for soaking the roller every few weeks but I also want a spray so that I can spray the brush every time before I use it.

I want something to clean and wipe down my face before and after a roll. Do you think I can use a very weak Dettol solution for wiping down my face?

Hi Ninetynine -

I think it's would be appropriate and safe to use a small spray bottle to apply the alcohol to your dermaroller for disinfection. (You can find small empty spray bottles at any beauty supply shop - or drugstore, I think...)

As for cleaning your face after the roll - I'm pretty sure straight alcohol would be too harsh. I'm not familiar with Dettol - but from what I've read on my searches - it contains chlorine atoms. It's a disinfectant - like Lysol - and may be better suited for household cleaning, rather than your face?? http://ykalaska.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/dettol-man-or-lysol-too-much-of-a-good-sanitizer-can-kill/ (If it's the correct Dettol I'm thinking of.) I think a good rinse with a proper facial cleanser and lots of water would be sufficient. IMHO...

There are so many airborne particles and bacteria already present on our skin - that I think that it's pretty near impossible to get a completely sterile face after a roll... And even if we could manage to totally sterilize - as soon as we started walking around - or touched our face, we'd introduce those darned bacteria! Wink

If you're really worried about cleanliness after a roll, though - it may be helpful to consider a povidone iodine scrub solution? That's the stuff that the surgeons use to prep a surgical site - so it might be useful. http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/100004240.html

Anyway - sorry for babbling on - but hope this helps!

Hi taobunny.

Interesting, I have always thought that Dettol is a safe antiseptic to use similar to Savlon. It's something that I have used since a child to wash wounds.

I did not realise it contained chlorine. Thanks for that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Note: For sterilising rollers - denture tablets such as Polident are quick and easy to use.

Taobunny

I know that Bethany used to use the denture tablets but thinks the enzymes might be responsible for her rollers breaking up. Has anyone else have this problem ie enzyme tablets causing their rollers to break?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Keliu, I found that the denture tablets caused my rollers to break. My new 1.5mm broke after just one dip in the denture bath...those effective bubbles lifted a chuck of plastic right off!

5% products discount

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu, I found that the denture tablets caused my rollers to break. My new 1.5mm broke after just one dip in the denture bath...those effective bubbles lifted a chuck of plastic right off!

First of all thank you for your input on the EMLA...I plan on doing an aggressive roll on Sat.

In regards to the denture cleaner - I've used this several times with different rollers (I have a Dr. Roller and 3 rollers from dermarollers.us) without any problems.

I intended to bring home a tiny amount of a betadine type solution to try this time around. We use this stuff at work to disinfect our breathing regulators. It does not harm the rubber/plastic components or the membrane within the regulators.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Taobunny

I know that Bethany used to use the denture tablets but thinks the enzymes might be responsible for her rollers breaking up. Has anyone else have this problem ie enzyme tablets causing their rollers to break?

Hi Ninetynine,

Currently, I don't use denture tablets to clean my rollers, I just give a good rinse on under a strong stream of hot water (a Waterpik is great for this) - and then splash on some rubbing alcohol and let air dry.

I've never used the denture tablets (would have to go and buy some first, and I'm lazy...) After hearing of Bethany's results, I'm even less inclined to go that route. Not only that, but with an enzymatic cleaner like denture tablets - I'd then have another layer to clean up afterwards as denture tablets have enzymes, flavorings, sodium perborate/EDTA/potassium monopersulfate (or similiar) and some sort of bicarbonates to make them bubble...)

I'm all for that minty fresh feeling - but maybe not in my dermaroller! Wink
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I think the denture cleaners may break down some of the chemical bonding, and if there is a weak place, it will happen sooner rather than later. I cleaned my first 4 rollers with the tablets, and they started breaking at 4 months. This last one broke after the first cleaning, so I am thinking it had a weak spot.

However, I just noticed that my Polident tablets say 3 minutes is all that is required, but I typically leave them in there 15 mins or so...maybe I bubbled them to death! Shock

But Tao is right....I usually do have some enzyme film on them after cleaning, and they do smell like mint!

I will soon have all new rollers, and will be using non-tablet measures going forward.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
I just give a good rinse on under a strong stream of hot water (a Waterpik is great for this) - and then splash on some rubbing alcohol and let air dry.

I do the exact same thing!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

However, I just noticed that my Polident tablets say 3 minutes is all that is required, but I typically leave them in there 15 mins or so...maybe I bubbled them to death! Shock

Sorry, but I just got a mental image of some poor dermarollers looking like the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz... "I'm melting, I'm melting..." Laughing
Peachie
5% products discount

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I am so thrilled to have found this board with all of you wonderful women!! Very Happy

I've been reading this thread and getting more confused. Confused

Bethany, I saw your picture!! Oh my gawd!!! Eek!!!

My burning questions are: what type of results did you see? What size of needles did you use?

If anyone else has the answers or have done similar, pleeease tell me what you experienced.
Peachie
5% products discount

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what 302 topicals are and where you get them?
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Peachie - there is an ebay member 302skincareprofessional, telephone 847-732-1649.
(I have not tried these products.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Peachie wrote:
Does anyone know what 302 topicals are and where you get them?

Peachie - there is a 302 thread here on EDS http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=28855

EDS members buy 302 products from several sources. Including these:
http://www.21st-centuryskincare.com/302%20products.htm
http://www.302skincareproducts.com/302products.htm
Nemo!AtTheDisco - EDS member
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if I am doing the rolling correctly. I have a 1.0 mm roller and press hard enough to feel some strong discomfort. I use either Retin A (pm) or SkinBiology Supercop x2. I get a slightly pink face and that's it. I can't press any harder as it would hurt too much and would likely be damaging. When I run the roller over my forehead, I hear it piercing the skin, as with Botox needles. Are the needles supposed to go all the way in? I'd hate to be wasting my time. Any comments much appreciated! Very Happy
pl79
5% products discount

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi... i'm new to this dermaroller thing... i'm happy to find this forum before purchasing anything...

I have stretch mark problem from my puberty....all across my thigh and butt...
after reading this forum, I think I might have to buy the 1.5 min. to actually make any effect to my stretchmark... but I dont know what topical/cream to use? I read some about copper peptide.. but i'm not sure what that is? and Im scared of long term-effect... is it really safe? is there any other alternative topical?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but.. what is the difference between retin-a and vit a?

Thanks a bunch... Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
I wonder if I am doing the rolling correctly. I have a 1.0 mm roller and press hard enough to feel some strong discomfort. I use either Retin A (pm) or SkinBiology Supercop x2. I get a slightly pink face and that's it. I can't press any harder as it would hurt too much and would likely be damaging. When I run the roller over my forehead, I hear it piercing the skin, as with Botox needles. Are the needles supposed to go all the way in? I'd hate to be wasting my time. Any comments much appreciated! Very Happy

Yes, the needles are supposed to go all the way in...that is the purpose of dermarolling!

Are you using numbing cream? But even the numbing cream doesn't quiet that horrid piercing noise.

And have you read all the appropriate reading before starting this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
pl79 wrote:
Hi... i'm new to this dermaroller thing... i'm happy to find this forum before purchasing anything...

I have stretch mark problem from my puberty....all across my thigh and butt...
after reading this forum, I think I might have to buy the 1.5 min. to actually make any effect to my stretchmark... but I dont know what topical/cream to use? I read some about copper peptide.. but i'm not sure what that is? and Im scared of long term-effect... is it really safe? is there any other alternative topical?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but.. what is the difference between retin-a and vit a?

Thanks a bunch... Smile

I would suggest starting with a 1.5mm and Retin A (which is a form of Vitamin A). You can get it without a prescription from alldaychemist.com.

Here is an article about it for you to read:
http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Retin-A-Vitamin-A-Creams_63.html

I personally think that Vit C is FAR more important than Copper Peptides for skin remodeling, so please start with those 2 before worrying about CPs. Smile

5% products discount

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:01 am      Reply with quote
thanks a lot bethany.....for vit c.... i just bought Aesop - B Triple C Facial Balancing Gel 60mL... can i just use it? or do i have to get a special vit c serum?

I live in australia. Anyone know where to get retin-a in here? do i have to get prescription to buy it in local chemist/pharmacy?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |