Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



DermaRoller

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
Banh
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 40
Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also using the Leaf & Rusher TX Roller. I have sensitive skin and it hurts everytime I use it, is it suppose to be painful or am I using too much pressure?

I've used it twice and no improvement yet !!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Banh wrote:
I'm also using the Leaf & Rusher TX Roller. I have sensitive skin and it hurts everytime I use it, is it suppose to be painful or am I using too much pressure?

I've used it twice and no improvement yet !!


It hurts me too...you are not using too much pressure.

The needles on the Leaf & Rusher are only designed to assist in product penetration...you will not see improvement in 2 uses, nor should you expect to. The only rollers that will drive actual change are those that are .75mm or longer (though 1.0mm and 1.5mm are the best bets) because they stimulate the wound healing cascade and collagen production.

Please read the last 20 pages of this thread to get caught up, and the articles in the thread below...the more you know, the better your results will be.

CIT/Dermarolling Articles and Presentations
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
My skin is somewhat sensitive but I can easily use this Roller twice a day without any redness.


Just an FYI...the inventor of the Dermaroller actually recommends using it only 2-3 times a week.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
ace243 wrote:
it says it works on open wounds only,so i thought if you used a Tca peel then rolled then mixed the acell with emu oil (since its a powder) and rub it in putting saran wrap over it over night just might work.



Ace, please think carefully before combing dermarolling and TCA peels...the skin can only remodel so quickly, and you are greatly increasing your risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by doing both.

We already had one forum member who experienced this with that combo, so I wanted to make you aware of it.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
DStats19
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 59
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have a 3 mm roller though now I'm craving a 6 mm one. Theres no limit of pain i would go through for great skin.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
DStats19 wrote:
I have a 3 mm roller though now I'm craving a 6 mm one. Theres no limit of pain i would go through for great skin.


6mm Shock My goodness, It will go through your cheek and out the otherside!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
ace243 wrote:
it says it works on open wounds only,so i thought if you used a Tca peel then rolled then mixed the acell with emu oil (since its a powder) and rub it in putting saran wrap over it over night just might work.



Ace, please think carefully before combing dermarolling and TCA peels...the skin can only remodel so quickly, and you are greatly increasing your risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by doing both.


Yes, I would definitely not advise doing both. Don't forget rolling makes your skin peel quite allot (as does Retin-A), so doing a TCA peel on top of all that could be asking for trouble.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
DStats19 wrote:
I have a 3 mm roller though now I'm craving a 6 mm one. Theres no limit of pain i would go through for great skin.


Here is a quote from the inventor of the Dermaroller. As you can see, he is not even an advocate of the 3mm needles.

Quote:

Human dermis has an average thickness of 1.5 mm and new collagen forms only in the upper corium, about 0.5 mm below the epidermis. So why in this world to use 2.5 mm or even longer needles only to puncture the muscles underneath the skin? – it simply makes no sense. I only can assume all copiers must be men (mostly from Asia where all copies come from), and most of their funny thinking is: the longer, the better! But sensible needling has nothing to do with oversized needles, it is a matter of intelligence, and I am afraid, this is only given to a few in this world – at least in respect of microneedling.

http://dermaroller.wordpress.com/2008/10/19/how-often-to-use-the-dermaroller/#comments


BTW, you're not using that on those wrinkles on the bottom of your feet that you were worried about, are you?

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:46 am      Reply with quote
DStats19 wrote:
I have a 3 mm roller though now I'm craving a 6 mm one. Theres no limit of pain i would go through for great skin.


I've just had a great idea - instead of getting a 6mm roller, you could just roll around on a bed of nails! Laughing
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 674
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies

One of my friends is asking whether she can use the dermaroller over her broken capillaries?

I think this was mentioned a while ago but since I don't have this problem, I didn't pay much attention to it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Bethany, I received my rollers from Jack today but they are not bright yellow as per your photos. They are a mustard sort of colour but the package says Dr Roller and has Korean words on the box. I wonder if they have changed the colour of their rollers.

_________________
53, normal/oily skin, concerns: wrinkles/lines/bags under eyes
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:16 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
Hi Ladies

One of my friends is asking whether she can use the dermaroller over her broken capillaries?

I think this was mentioned a while ago but since I don't have this problem, I didn't pay much attention to it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Bethany, I received my rollers from Jack today but they are not bright yellow as per your photos. They are a mustard sort of colour but the package says Dr Roller and has Korean words on the box. I wonder if they have changed the colour of their rollers.


First of all the rollers are a mustard colour - photographs can have colour variations, so rest assured there are no problems.

I have broken capillaries and I do roller over them. I wouldn't exactly say that rollering has cured my broken caps, but I believe they are a lot less noticeable due to the thickening of my skin.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1898
Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:11 am      Reply with quote
It's been one week since I rolled aggressively with my 1.5mm using Emla for the first time. The results I received from this roll were way different than any roll previous to that.

I also applied Retin A just prior to my roll (whereas, on earlier rolls, I used it an hour before), and I applied Copper Peptides (Skin Bio's) about an hour after rolling.

I had trackmarks visible on my skin for several days afterwards, I had dryness/flakiness (and with my oily skin - what a combo!) that I've never experienced before and - on my neck - a redness and texture like something from a serious peel.

The skin on my lower neck that was very red had a strange feel to it - very hard/course. And it looked absolutely terrible for about 4-5 days afterwards. My husband was really yelling at me this time ("What did you do to yourself??") My neck has shown significant improvement on the area that was red (so different than the skin above it - smoother), but I don't want to go thru that sunburn look again - so, no Retin A immediately prior to rolling.

It took a week for the trackmarks/peeling to completely go away (finally got rid of it w/ some microdermabrasion cloths). I'm hoping for the continued improvements that the studies show will appear months down the road. I think I generated the wound healing cascade on this one.

I also think the Retin A and CPs are the best combination w/ the roller. I had great results using them b4 the roller, that's for sure.

_________________
late 50's, fair skin, combo skin, very few fine lines, vertical lip lines, crows feet & 11's, fighting aging! Using Palancia HF, dermarollers, CPs, Retin A Micro, Safetox, AALS, Clairsonic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 2130
Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
The needles on the Leaf & Rusher are only designed to assist in product penetration...you will not see improvement in 2 uses, nor should you expect to. The only rollers that will drive actual change are those that are .75mm or longer (though 1.0mm and 1.5mm are the best bets) because they stimulate the wound healing cascade and collagen production.



Does that mean that it's absolutely of no use?

Thanks for the articles, it will take AWHILE Very Happy
batwhirl
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 91
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
DStats19 wrote:
I have a 3 mm roller though now I'm craving a 6 mm one. Theres no limit of pain i would go through for great skin.


Oh my gosh DStats19...why would you need a 6 mm roller and what have you read that leads you to believe that a 6mm will improve your efforts?
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 360
Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
It's been one week since I rolled aggressively with my 1.5mm using Emla for the first time. The results I received from this roll were way different than any roll previous to that.

I also applied Retin A just prior to my roll (whereas, on earlier rolls, I used it an hour before), and I applied Copper Peptides (Skin Bio's) about an hour after rolling.

I had trackmarks visible on my skin for several days afterwards, I had dryness/flakiness (and with my oily skin - what a combo!) that I've never experienced before and - on my neck - a redness and texture like something from a serious peel.

The skin on my lower neck that was very red had a strange feel to it - very hard/course. And it looked absolutely terrible for about 4-5 days afterwards. My husband was really yelling at me this time ("What did you do to yourself??") My neck has shown significant improvement on the area that was red (so different than the skin above it - smoother), but I don't want to go thru that sunburn look again - so, no Retin A immediately prior to rolling.

It took a week for the trackmarks/peeling to completely go away (finally got rid of it w/ some microdermabrasion cloths). I'm hoping for the continued improvements that the studies show will appear months down the road. I think I generated the wound healing cascade on this one.

I also think the Retin A and CPs are the best combination w/ the roller. I had great results using them b4 the roller, that's for sure.


Thanks, Foxe - for the great details of your procedure. I'm really looking forward to being able to roll again - once my skin settles down from the Obagi. I just got my EMLA - and it looks like it will actually do something for me! (Wish I could take Bethany's tip of drinking lots of wine - but I just can't drink enough to make it work! LOL)
gumgirl
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 41
Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 am      Reply with quote
With my most recent roll and 3rd "aggressive" roll on 11/22, my experience has been similar to Foxe's. For some reason, I did not experience a lot of pin prick bleeding. This seems very odd since I was more aggressive with this roll compared to previous ones. I used EMLA, started with my 2.0 dermarollers.us roller but switched to my 1.5 Dr. Roller. The penetration with the 1.5 seemed better than the 2.0. I applied a thicker than normal layer of Retin-A about 1 hour post roll. I've been using TriReduction (skinbio's copper peptides) and/or emu oil on subsequent days.

My skin feels leathery and is peeling much more than previous rolls. The corners of my mouth are dry and cracking. I used Retin-A 4 days in a row prior, which may be contributing to the extra peeling. I normally only use Retin-A 2X per week since I must avoid skin irritation due to my work.

I did a kickboxing class last evening and my face became bright red and slightly irritated as soon as I broke a sweat. Needless to say, I looked absolutely gorgeous by the end of class. Ha Ha

As far as Pre-Roll goes ~ Another difference was the slight burning feeling when I rinsed the Emla off. I can only surmise this was due to the Retin-A use prior, making the epidermis a bit thinner.

I also want to interject my opinion of the different brands of rollers (someone posted this question a few pages back but I can't find it.)

I have a 1.5 Dr. Roller and 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 rollers from dermarollers.us. Hands down the Dr. Roller wins in quality. The needles are in even rows in the dermarollers.us brand, but they are staggered on the Dr. Roller (not sure if this is better, but my gut says it is!) Needle quality seems superior with the Dr. Roller as well. The dermarollers.us needles seem flimsy and I already have 2 that are bent.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 2130
Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:


Does that mean that it's absolutely of no use?

Thanks for the articles, it will take AWHILE Very Happy


Ok, I've finally found the answer to my own question! Leaf & Rusher only sells a .15mm length dermaroller just to help product penetration. That's why I guess it's safe to use it twice a day.

I guess I have to spend even much more time on this lovely forum! Cool
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:


Does that mean that it's absolutely of no use?

Thanks for the articles, it will take AWHILE Very Happy


Ok, I've finally found the answer to my own question! Leaf & Rusher only sells a .15mm length dermaroller just to help product penetration. That's why I guess it's safe to use it twice a day.

I guess I have to spend even much more time on this lovely forum! Cool


As I mentioned before, the inventor of the dermaroller recommends using a roller with .13mm to .15mm needles 2-3 times a week. And since they are the ones with all the expertise (not L&R), I typically go with their recommendations.

In the L&R documentation it says you can work up to using it every day...it does not say 2 times a day. You can certainly do whatever works best for your skin, but keep in mind that L&R recommends replacing it after 3-4 months for daily usage. If you use it twice a day, I would assume that you will need to replace it in 1.5-2 months.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
gumgirl wrote:
I also want to interject my opinion of the different brands of rollers (someone posted this question a few pages back but I can't find it.)

I have a 1.5 Dr. Roller and 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 rollers from dermarollers.us. Hands down the Dr. Roller wins in quality. The needles are in even rows in the dermarollers.us brand, but they are staggered on the Dr. Roller (not sure if this is better, but my gut says it is!) Needle quality seems superior with the Dr. Roller as well. The dermarollers.us needles seem flimsy and I already have 2 that are bent.


Gum, the staggered needles on the Dr. Rollers are their "cross-linked needle design." They create more surface tension and therefore allow for deeper needle penetration (and that's what it is about!).

Regarding the dermarollers.us bent needles...you can try pulling them out with some needle-nosed pliers, but I would NOT try to straighten them.

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 2130
Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Question for Canadian girls:
where do u buy ur DermaRoller Question
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 771
Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Question for Canadian girls:
where do u buy ur DermaRoller Question


I get mine from Jack. First time I ordered it took about 10 days to get here and 2nd time took about a week.

Jack at One-Stop
Call: 1-866-583-7883
Hours: 10am to 4pm ET
Email: backstrecords2@yahoo.com

You can find further information re. pricing here

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29392&highlight=dermaroller
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1086
Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Is there anyone with diabetes or immune challenges that has dermarolled?

I am a diabetic and was speaking with a friend who is also in her late 30's and wants to give this a try, but from memory, I am not sure whether its the most sensible thing for her as diabetics etc have a weakened immune system (and as a result their cuts often take longer to heal) so am guessing that dermarolling might not be the best thing for her, but figured its worth checking in with you ladies to see if anyone has these health challenges and has been dermarolling?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 2647
Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sean,
I have been derma rolling for about a year. When I got started I used the Nova Clinic for information http://www.dermarollers.com/. As I remember they have been in the business for 20 years. I emailed them at client@dermarollers.com and got immediate answers. Bethany has a lot of contacts for information and she maybe able to help more.

I am aware of the challenges of diabetes as my father has been one for 40 years but derma rolling for most people isn't as wound producing as one might imagine.
Toby

_________________
female,"50 something" medium to thick normal skin, no wrinkles,Lightstim,Easy Eye Solutions,Green Smoothies,Ageless Secret Gold, Pico Toner,Beautiful Image
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have idiopathic thrombocytopenia, which is very low platelets and I still use the dermaroller. I don't bleed excessively and there are really no wounds to speak of from the dermaroller. I will say that I have been advised not to roll with the ITP, but I chose to continue with rolling anyway!
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 768
Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Toby. How have your results been so far after rolling for a year?
System
Automatic Message
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Decleor Prolagene Lift, Lift & Firm Day Cream - Normal Skin (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Anthony Logistics Wake Up Call Hydrating Treatment Gel (90 ml / 3 floz) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz)