Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi - I am a newbie here, and after reading about rolling, I decided to try it, and ordered a 1.0 (I was afraid the 1.5 might be too much for me to handle at first).

After paying for it, I was kicking myself for not ordering the 1.5, since I want to improve my large pores and firm up my 47 year old skin a little bit.

My roller came in the mail yesterday, so I did my first roll last night. I was shocked to see all of the dots of blood that the 1.0 brought up, since I had thought it was going to be too short to do any good.

I am hoping that the 1.0 might not be such a waste of money after all. I plan to use it for a while to see if it helps my skin at all, and if not, I will buy the 1.5.

Thank you to all of the posters here who have shared their experience and advice to help us newbies to get started!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
Beth - I've got the .5 and 1.0 rollers. The .5 doesn't require anesthesia and just makes my skin red for a few hours. I'd like to see if the 1.0 could further tighten my turkey neck sag and mouth-corner droop with monthly use, but I'm held back by ignorance. Specifically, how long does it take for the little red dots to subside or get to a point where MMU will cover them? I ask because I live with people (husband, sons) who would be freaked out if I came out of the bathroom looking like a plague victim, and I have to make public appearances at school, etc. They're going camping on Super Bowl weekend and I will have the house to myself for a couple of days. Is that enough time, in your experience? (Fingers crossed.)

Tessera, I seem to get far more inflammed than most people, so my results are definitely not the norm...it takes me a week to look normal after an intense roll. Shock

But if the redness from the .5mm is gone within a couple of hours, then you would probably be fine after 2 days. But just make sure that you are rolling aggressively enough to really make a difference.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
deelighted wrote:
Hi - I am a newbie here, and after reading about rolling, I decided to try it, and ordered a 1.0 (I was afraid the 1.5 might be too much for me to handle at first).

After paying for it, I was kicking myself for not ordering the 1.5, since I want to improve my large pores and firm up my 47 year old skin a little bit.

My roller came in the mail yesterday, so I did my first roll last night. I was shocked to see all of the dots of blood that the 1.0 brought up, since I had thought it was going to be too short to do any good.

I am hoping that the 1.0 might not be such a waste of money after all. I plan to use it for a while to see if it helps my skin at all, and if not, I will buy the 1.5.

Thank you to all of the posters here who have shared their experience and advice to help us newbies to get started!

Deelighted, if you read any of my past posts, you will find that I had fantastic results with the 1.0mm roller. I think it is a great way to start and then work up to a 1.5mm over time. Just remember that patience is very important with dermarolling...it took 4 months for me to see improvement, but most people take 7+ months.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Denisew wrote:
Hello, This is my first time here. Very Happy
I gave birth 6 months ago and I got deep stretch marks on my breasts during pregnancy.
I'm going to buy Dr roller 1.5mm and I already am using TRILASTIN (since last week).
I'm thinking about using both together.
How do I do that??
How many times per week?
What is the procedure that I should do?
Is there any problems to use it having breast implants?

I'm also going to use the dermaroller on my face for scars (actually I use proactive, and not seeing results).
What is the best way to use it on my face to treat my scars??

I'm sorry to ask you guys so many questions, but I'm trying to read everything about the dermaroller here for over a week and my baby never gives me time Wink

hugs

Denise, I would recommend that you concentrate on the last 20 pages of this thread.

Honestly, if you can't find the time to read that, then you will also not be able to find the time to dermaroll.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Tessera, I seem to get far more inflammed than most people, so my results are definitely not the norm...it takes me a week to look normal after an intense roll. Shock

But if the redness from the .5mm is gone within a couple of hours, then you would probably be fine after 2 days. But just make sure that you are rolling aggressively enough to really make a difference.

Thanks, Bethany. I think I understated the time I stay red from the .5, but if I do it in the early a.m., I look normal enough by 2:45 p.m. to appear in public, even though I can still feel the sting. (Here in CA no one would comment on a bit of "sunburn" anyway.) From your pics, it looks like your skin is much finer and more delicate than mine, but I see your point about being aggressive enough. Thanks for the info.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
deelighted wrote:

Hey deelighted, I haven't tried my 1.0 yet and I'm very interested to know how long it takes for your skin to be healed enough for public viewing. You didn't say whether you rolled your face, but I assume so because of the pore issue. Could you keep us posted on your progress?

Tessera

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
Hey deelighted, I haven't tried my 1.0 yet and I'm very interested to know how long it takes for your skin to be healed enough for public viewing. You didn't say whether you rolled your face, but I assume so because of the pore issue. Could you keep us posted on your progress?

Tessera

I rolled my entire face, and waited about an hour for the little bloody spots to stop oozing, then I rinsed my face with cool water and applied a few drops of diluted CP Serum.

My face looked extremely red for about another hour or so, but by the time I was ready for bed (a couple of hours after rolling), the red was all gone and it looked smoother than I have ever seen it. I think it was inflamed just enough to look really great. LOL

This morning, it still looked really great, and by mid-day it was back to looking the way it always does.

So for me, it could be viewed by the public just a couple of hours after rolling if I didn't mind going without makeup.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 am      Reply with quote
deelighted wrote:
So for me, it could be viewed by the public just a couple of hours after rolling if I didn't mind going without makeup.

Wow, that's really encouraging. I forgot to ask whether you used topical anesthesia?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
I forgot to ask whether you used topical anesthesia?

No. I thought I would if I needed it, but it really was not too painful at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I have the 1.5 and the 2.5 for my face and body and love the results. It totally works for cellulite on my tush and on the back of my thighs. As for my face, I have been obsessing about my chicken pox scars. So I rolled them and that was fine.

Well, I ended up getting an IUD put in and broke out so badly (cystic flair ups). I put the roller aside and picked up PROACTIVE! Yes, I was that desperate. So now, I have just let my face heal and want to get my skin perfect.

However, now I have acne scars, chicken pox scars and hyper pigmentation.

So, I want to roll again, I have made my own Vit C serum from this website. I have purchased Emu Oil and want to go back to my organic skincare line with a rose cleanser and Cetaphyl face lotion.

What do you guys suggest for me?

Profile: I am 27 years old, half Asian and half czech, with tanned skin (I need to get into the tanning bed....I know, I know), that can break out in pimples, however my lips and other parts of my face can get dry and I have eczema. I have enlarged pores on my checks and blackheads on my nose.

Thank you so much for your input on my regime.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Tina you should post your question in the skincare board. There'll be heaps of people with very helpful suggestions on a skincare routine for you there.
I can only tell you though that if you're trying to increase collagen generation with rolling it seems abit pointless if you're destroying it with UV rays. Fake tans work nicely.
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
thank you so much. Yes, I am at a loss and found that dermarolling is the only thing helping my chicken pox scars.

I don't need it for fine lines (yet) but more so for my scars and cellulite.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Tina can I ask how long now, and how often you roll your tush? And how long did it take to get rid of your cellulite.
I'm always interested in people's success with cellulite.
Just wanted to say also that the main actives most of us rollers here use is vitamin a and vitamin c. They're the ones recommended by the Dr who invented the dermaroller. As far as acne goes though I have no idea.
Woops just realised that you've got the flareup under control and are now looking to roll for the scars. All I can tell you is that I use retin a at night and my homemade c,e and ferulic in tha morning. They are the main things needed.
HTH
birdlove
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:37 am      Reply with quote
Okay, that seals the deal... if they work on cellulite, I'm getting dermarollers. I'm waiting for a check to come in, and then I can afford them ( I want one for the face, one for the body). I was a little freaked out after seeing the pics of Bethany's chest and the medical rolling, but I'll get past it.

I've got a super high pain threshold/tolerance (I had a huge tattoo laser removed without any numbing.. my NP said she'd never seen anyone do that well, even with numbing) so honestly, it's just a mental block.

I can peel the heck out my skin with TCA and not flinch, but I don't generally draw blood on myself.
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
birdlove wrote:
I've got a super high pain threshold/tolerance

Wow - you should do really well with rolling then. I would love to try it on my body as well as my face eventually.

Now that I see it is not too painful, I want to get a 1.5 roller. I'll just make sure to roll on a Friday night in case the recovery time is a little longer with the deeper roll.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Tina, I too would be very interested in how long you have been rolling your derrière and whether you numb it first Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Hello all!

I've been lurking at EDS for a few months now and would first like to thank everyone for all their valuable posts. Smile

I was unsure whether to forward this question here, or in the skincare forum, but decided this Dermaroller thread the more appropriate place since my new skincare protocol is, in part, in anticipation of using my roller in the future.

I have read this thread from page one and decided to prepare my skin with an (initial) couple months of Retin-A(PM), Kassy's C-serum (AM), two times a week of exfoliation using a paste from Dermalogica (name escapes me). Neostrata cleanser, and finally, Neutragena sunblock (70spf). I am also taking the following supplements orally: Vit A, C, E, D; fish oil caps; CoQ10; l-Lysine; flax seed; and olive oil.

I have been using the Retin-A for 3 1/2 weeks and the C-serum for about a week and a half. I have not used any moisterizer at night following the Retin-A. Currently my skin is a bit irritated and I'm wondering if I'm overduing the dosage of Retin-A or if this is what's to be expected? I have a feeling there's a fine line between 'recuperative' irritation and damaging irritation. Sad Any light you all could shed on my conundrum would be fully appreciated!

Thanks much!

Smile
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
deelighted wrote:
birdlove wrote:
I've got a super high pain threshold/tolerance

Wow - you should do really well with rolling then. I would love to try it on my body as well as my face eventually.

Now that I see it is not too painful, I want to get a 1.5 roller. I'll just make sure to roll on a Friday night in case the recovery time is a little longer with the deeper roll.

For some people, it is EXTREMELY painful, especially with the longer needles. If you have a very high pain tolerance you could be fine, but otherwise, you might want to at least have some of the spray-on Bactine handy, to prevent infection and offer *minor* pain relief. The Bactine is enough for me with smaller needles (i.e. my "baby" .25mm roller). For the 1.5, the only thing that numbs me enough to get a productive roll is EMLA.

Remember that to generate collagen you need to be penetrating the dermis, so you should at least be seeing SOME blood. Very intense, but infrequent rolls are MUCH better than mild, frequent rolls. Many people doing the latter see no results or they make things worse over time. If you haven't already, definitely read the articles in the Dermarolling/CIT articles thread that Bethany started. The info is invaluable, and will help to ensure that you're going about it in a way that will maximize results. You don't want to be going through all this trouble for nothing Smile

Good luck Smile
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
pleiades wrote:
Hello all!

I've been lurking at EDS for a few months now and would first like to thank everyone for all their valuable posts. Smile

I was unsure whether to forward this question here, or in the skincare forum, but decided this Dermaroller thread the more appropriate place since my new skincare protocol is, in part, in anticipation of using my roller in the future.

I have read this thread from page one and decided to prepare my skin with an (initial) couple months of Retin-A(PM), Kassy's C-serum (AM), two times a week of exfoliation using a paste from Dermalogica (name escapes me). Neostrata cleanser, and finally, Neutragena sunblock (70spf). I am also taking the following supplements orally: Vit A, C, E, D; fish oil caps; CoQ10; l-Lysine; flax seed; and olive oil.

I have been using the Retin-A for 3 1/2 weeks and the C-serum for about a week and a half. I have not used any moisterizer at night following the Retin-A. Currently my skin is a bit irritated and I'm wondering if I'm overduing the dosage of Retin-A or if this is what's to be expected? I have a feeling there's a fine line between 'recuperative' irritation and damaging irritation. Sad Any light you all could shed on my conundrum would be fully appreciated!

Thanks much!

Smile

Welcome Pleiades. Wow You've done well. You read the WHOLE thread!
Well it looks to me like you're doing exactly the right things in preparation for rolling. It is more than likely the retin a causing the irritation, I also got quite red and peely for the first couple of months of use. I continued on through that horrible stage, but that was over a year ago and I wasn't planning on rolling back then. You can back off on the retin a and just use it every other day, or even only twice a week until you get used to it.
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="LowbrowscientistFor the 1.5, the only thing that numbs me enough to get a productive roll is EMLA.
[/quote]

After reading through the thread, I was planning to order either EMLA, or Tridocaine Gel before I try the 1.5.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Tina can I ask how long now, and how often you roll your tush? And how long did it take to get rid of your cellulite.
I'm always interested in people's success with cellulite.
Just wanted to say also that the main actives most of us rollers here use is vitamin a and vitamin c. They're the ones recommended by the Dr who invented the dermaroller. As far as acne goes though I have no idea.
Woops just realised that you've got the flareup under control and are now looking to roll for the scars. All I can tell you is that I use retin a at night and my homemade c,e and ferulic in tha morning. They are the main things needed.
HTH

I have only rolled twice with the 2.5 and only applied witch hazel afterwards. I didn't put any special cremes and just let it all sit. I did have to use ice though and the only way you can see my cellulite is if I squish it. My boyfriend said that the difference was night and day.. I should have taken before and after pics, you would be impressed! Cool
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Tina, I too would be very interested in how long you have been rolling your derrière and whether you numb it first Smile

Of course I numb. I tried the cremes and everything and it didn't work as well, I also didn't want to take the chance of getting some of that product into my fresh new needle wounds before my serum so I went only with ice bags that were ace bandaged all over my face derriere and thighs. I would keep the ice on the part until my boyfriend would roll it. I stressed how he needed to hold it like a pencil make sure that full penetration was happening with "even pressure". At first he was really nervous. After the first roll, when I asked him to do the next one, he was all about it. I even did one roll on my stomach and plan to do another one here shortly.

So I say forget that darn creme and do it with just ice so that product penetration is pure and clean when you get done rolling. You know that once you rinse your skin, sometimes there is leftover residue and that could be the case if you are placing numbing creme on.

Or maybe that is just me. Embarassed
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
deelighted wrote:

After reading through the thread, I was planning to order either EMLA, or Tridocaine Gel before I try the 1.5.

Believe me, you'll be glad you did! Smile
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Miss Tina wrote:

I have only rolled twice with the 2.5 and only applied witch hazel afterwards. I didn't put any special cremes and just let it all sit. I did have to use ice though and the only way you can see my cellulite is if I squish it. My boyfriend said that the difference was night and day.. I should have taken before and after pics, you would be impressed! Cool

Twice??? Is that all??? I'm amazed!

Maybe the 2.5 is the way to go for cellulite.

Thanks for that info Tina. Smile
pleiades
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:

Welcome Pleiades. Wow You've done well. You read the WHOLE thread!
Well it looks to me like you're doing exactly the right things in preparation for rolling. It is more than likely the retin a causing the irritation, I also got quite red and peely for the first couple of months of use. I continued on through that horrible stage, but that was over a year ago and I wasn't planning on rolling back then. You can back off on the retin a and just use it every other day, or even only twice a week until you get used to it.

Thank you for the welcome, Mishey! Smile

I'll take your advice and whittle down to every other day and try to build back up from there.

Yep, I did read the whole thread. I want to make sure I get great results through proper protocol.

Thanks again all you wonderful posters!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |