Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I think how many times per week you use the roller is dependent on how long the needles are. Rollers with short needles are used to aid product absorption and can be used everyday. Rollers with longer needles, 1-2mm are more aggressive and are meant to be used less frequently. I started off using 1.5mm roller once a week. As my skin became more tolerant of the needling I increased to twice a week - so just listen to your skin. I use Emla numbing cream.

As for the benefits of needling - I really think the skin on my neck has tightened up but overall the general quality of my skin has improved greatly. It is smoother, more even-tones and healthier looking.
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I also got a Novaderm roller this week. I tried it for the first time last night - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (but I think this is only 75mm). I mainly rolled on a few scars I have. Today my face has no redness but is a little tight - I couldn't imagine doing this every day.

I was wondering what everybody is using on their face afterwards. I would really like to use some products that may help in the building of collagen - any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a few chicken pox scars on my face that I would really like to fill in - I'm not sure if the 75mm is likely to help in building collagen. I am quite self conscious about these scars.

Thanks.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I finally got the .05 (?) dermaroller - the basic one.
I was so tired of losing at ebay - that i called 12 BBW's in the PA/NJ area and found one for the discount price!! They will mail them - so if anyone is still looking...

Anyway - I figured that since ive had permanent lip liner 3x's, botox, and a filler that i would have no problem with the dermaroller. Holy crap - my face felt like sunburn for an hour after first use - that night when i cleansed my skin - same feeling. I figured i would lay off it for awhile - of course i used it the following night - surprisingly with no problems. Then this morning (my 4th time) my face felt like it was on fire again!!!

I dont see any improvement - im sure its too soon - plus i know the smaller the needles the less its going to do. I still have to try my Retin A micro to see if that makes a difference. I just CANT see using the longer needles - you guys must have the thickest skin humanly possible!!!

Also - i know this has been asked - i cant find it - how do you clean it?? I know the directions say to rinse in warm water and keep in the container. Do you let it air dry first? How do you do so to keep it sterile?

THANKS!!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:29 am      Reply with quote
According to some info I read on needling, it takes 90 days for the skin to regenerate after needling. So be patient and keep at it, gradually you will notice a big improvement in your skin.

As far as cleaning the roller is concerned, I just run mine under hot water before and after use and let it air dry. Keeping the roller in a sterile solution is not recommended as it loosens the needles.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Frangipani wrote:
I also got a Novaderm roller this week. I tried it for the first time last night - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (but I think this is only 75mm). I mainly rolled on a few scars I have. Today my face has no redness but is a little tight - I couldn't imagine doing this every day.

I was wondering what everybody is using on their face afterwards. I would really like to use some products that may help in the building of collagen - any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a few chicken pox scars on my face that I would really like to fill in - I'm not sure if the 75mm is likely to help in building collagen. I am quite self conscious about these scars.

Thanks.

Frang, you really need a longer roller to initialize collagen. The shorter ones are wonderful to increase product absorption. Having said that, to fill in chicken pox scars, I'd suggest looking into a TCA cross (thread here on the forum I did but I pulled the pics). PM me for where you can see them. It is the only thing I think will help on deep, indented scars like a chicken pox one. It's worked for me and I've improved the one I have by 70% but it does take a long time so be warned.

Reminds me that I need to do one again.

As for the pain of rolling with a longer roller, note that Kelieu and me, too, use a numbing cream before hand. It really helps.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks scalawaggirl for your helpful advice. I had suspected the 75mm roller wouldn't help much with my scars - I should have read more before I got it. I will have to keep an eye out for a roller with longer needles.

I don't really know much about TCA cross (although what I have read sounds scary - but then I guess I am willing to jab my face with needles, how much worse could it be??). I would be really happy if I could fill my scars by 70%.I will do a search on TCA and will PM you for pics.

Once again - thanks for you comments and willingness to help..
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:39 am      Reply with quote
I don't have pitted scars and only have red and brown marks from old pimples, I'm also interested in anything that evens skintone and addsa "glow". Should I bother with dermarolling with my derm?
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 am      Reply with quote
Got my dermaroller today from an ebay seller who was local to me in Australia. I decided to go with a 0.9mm one. When I opened it, I kind of freaked cause the needles were longer than I thought. I tested it on my hand though, and it felt mostly like a very intense tickling feeling. I continued to roll both my hands and forearms. About an hour later they looked pink and cross-hatched.

Later on did my face and neck gently. No sweat. The area around my eyes (crows feet) got pink, but quickly went down. I applied my CP's anfd some rosehip oil and left it at that. So far, so good.

My only problem is that I can't get the roller very far in along my tear trough. Is there a smaller roller out there??

rebecca
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
okay i am officially a crybaby!

i got my novaderm roller today, and tested it on the stretch marks on my tummy. it did hurt but not too bad then i tested it on my thighs and i thought, yowza! how on earth am i going to be able to use it on my face?

well i did try it a few hours ago on my face... the only reason it didn't hurt that bad was because the needles were hardly touching my skin! Laughing at this rate it will be years before i can 'graduate' to the 1.5mm one!

now my face doesn't feel sunburned, but looks reddish as if sunburned.. hmm i'd better re-read this thread again to see if this is normal....
Zenity
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
For the ones are PM me asking about the routine I have followed with my sister I copy and paste:

Hello,

As I said we started in August and now it looks really good. I would say that results were showing after the third month of treatment or so.
I started using the creams every other day for an adaptation period. Rolling twice at week.
When her skin was ok with creams I used a higher concentration of glicolic acid (we started at 15%) and tretitoin (we started at 0,025%)
Now she is using glicolic at 25% (Glicoisdin)and tretitoin at 0,1% (Retirides) twice at day. Rolling alternating nights to make sure we give the skin some time to recover the day after the treatment, I started at 1mm deep and now using 2mm deep.
Planning on using 3mm deep less often (maybe once at week or so) but first she has to lose some body fat.
Dry brushing every morning too.
Also she has started to use a combo of cocoa butter, hemp oil and vit E cream that I make myself. I am planning on adding some DMAE as soon as I can figure out how to get it and how to mix it. I think the closest version of this lotion you can find if you are in the US is the Palmer's cocoa butter. It hast Vit E but not hemp or DMAE.

I hope it helps,

Good luck!
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:
okay i am officially a crybaby!

i got my novaderm roller today, and tested it on the stretch marks on my tummy. it did hurt but not too bad then i tested it on my thighs and i thought, yowza! how on earth am i going to be able to use it on my face?

well i did try it a few hours ago on my face... the only reason it didn't hurt that bad was because the needles were hardly touching my skin! Laughing at this rate it will be years before i can 'graduate' to the 1.5mm one!

now my face doesn't feel sunburned, but looks reddish as if sunburned.. hmm i'd better re-read this thread again to see if this is normal....

From what I understand...the sunburned look is normal and subsides quickly.

You know I think the key to doing this is not to think about the "feeling" too much. I decided against icing etc...and thought that I would just start lightly. Once I was doing it lightly I found I was desentitized enough to do it harder.

My hands look better after only doing this once. Off to roll again now Very Happy

rebecca

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
yes i'm so glad the sunburned look is normal, i was a bit worried in the beginning. and also my face was oilier than normal last night...red and greasy, not a good look at all! Laughing

but this morning, the skin on my face looks good, smoother and pores slightly smaller (i have pores like craters so it's gonna take more than a session to shrink those babies). funny thing, though, the skin on my tummy began to itch last night. i don't think it has anything to do with the roller but I didn't eat anything unusual and did not apply anything out of the ordinary either on the skin. it's better now thank goodness.

i'll roll again tonight on my face, but on my tummy i think i'll wait another day or two. i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm actually looking forward to it!!
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 am      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:
yes i'm so glad the sunburned look is normal, i was a bit worried in the beginning. and also my face was oilier than normal last night...red and greasy, not a good look at all! Laughing

but this morning, the skin on my face looks good, smoother and pores slightly smaller (i have pores like craters so it's gonna take more than a session to shrink those babies). funny thing, though, the skin on my tummy began to itch last night. i don't think it has anything to do with the roller but I didn't eat anything unusual and did not apply anything out of the ordinary either on the skin. it's better now thank goodness.

i'll roll again tonight on my face, but on my tummy i think i'll wait another day or two. i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm actually looking forward to it!!

I'd guess the itching tummy is healing etc....like you get after surgery.

Yes, I also decided to do my face again but leave the other areas to a day of rest!!

Happy rolling!
Very Happy
rebecca

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a Leaf & and Rusher DermaRoller Derma Roller Kit from ebay for only £37! It has a dvd and a couple of product samples as well as the roller. I have had my eye on this for a while but thought it was too expensive as Space NK sells it here for £78 just for the roller alone Shock . SO I got it for more than half price!
I am hoping that it will help with the beginnings of crows feet and vertical forhead lines I am starting to see.
The seller has another dermaroller on offer for just £23 as well if anyone is thinking of getting one.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...I've bought one and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail but I still am not totally clear on WHY this procedure works to improve the skin. Is it because the needling kind of "aerates" the skin OR is it that the needling toughens up the skin OR is it all about the topical agent you use during or after that makes the improvement in the skin??? Sorry if I'm just a bit dull...for some reason this whole thing is a mystery to me...still trying to figure it out!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
In the case of the rollers with shorter needles, the micro-channels that you make by rolling let the nutrients and vitamins that you put on your skin afterwards sink deeper into the skin. The micro-channels that are made by the longer needles are supposed to do the same, of course, but also encourage the laying down of collagen because the needles reach down into the epidermis.

However, I believe that both the shorter and longer needles are useful in regenerating the skin. If you cut yourself - your skin heals. So if you think of needling as "injuring" your skin - your skin naturally heals or regenerates itself. HTH.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Just giving you an update: For the last year or so I have been getting collagen injected into my upper lip line and the vertical lines above my lips. When I went to the clinic today the nurse asked me what have I been doing to my skin because it looks so much thicker. I told her about the needling and she was amazed. She said she could see that the epidermis of my skin was much thicker than it used to be and that my skin was definitely laying down more collagen. This was a completely unsolicited comment, so I'm pretty happy.

Keep rolling ladies! Very Happy
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,

How often do you needle?

What size do you use?

What topicals do you apply afterward?

Please give us the details of your regime!!

Thanks, NS
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Keliu,
How often do you needle?
What size do you use?
What topicals do you apply afterward?
Please give us the details of your regime!!
Thanks, NS

I think its all there in my previous posts, but to sum up:

I use a 1.5mm roller

needle twice per week (Wed & Sun)

directly after needling apply Skinactives Lets Make Collagen and SKB - leave on for 30 mins then gently wipe off

then apply Retin-A 0.05% wait 30 mins

then apply Super CP serum and emu oil

On the nights that I don't needle, I apply Retin-A 0.1% followed by the CP and emu oil.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
im curious about needling, ive been sucked in! My question is...can u needle around the eye? More specifically; under the eye? Heres why i wanna know, if u can in fact needle in this area, then afterwards apply a collagen synthesis active (matrixyl for example), wouldnt this thicken the undereye skin curing the problem of dark circles???
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
im curious about needling, ive been sucked in! My question is...can u needle around the eye? More specifically; under the eye? Heres why i wanna know, if u can in fact needle in this area, then afterwards apply a collagen synthesis active (matrixyl for example), wouldnt this thicken the undereye skin curing the problem of dark circles???

You can needle around the eye (not on the lid, of course). I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the increased blood flow to the area underneath the eye brought on by the needling would definitely help with dark circles.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:

You can definitely needle under the eye, and I use it there everytime. You cannot get very close to the eye corners though Sad I have only been using this 1 week, but the following day, my hollows (well what remains as I had them filled with sculptra) are nicely plumped up.

cheers

rebecca

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
okay, i have found that for me, using the dermaroller every day is not something my skin agrees with. the first time i used it, my skin looked great the next morning. so i used it again for the second evening running and my face was reddish and sunburned looking for 2 days after that. so for now i will only roll every 3 days or so at least until i whip my skin into submission! Laughing
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
Got my dermaroller today from an ebay seller who was local to me in Australia. I decided to go with a 0.9mm one. When I opened it, I kind of freaked cause the needles were longer than I thought. I tested it on my hand though, and it felt mostly like a very intense tickling feeling.

I had the same experience when I tried mine for the first time today. The needles looked very long to be just 1mm, but it wasn't painful, just tickling in a quite irritating way - especially in the chin and moth area.

I don't know if I used the whole mm much, but I got a nice bright red color (which luckily lasted less than an hour) and am pretty happy to be done with my first rolling session without being through with the method Very Happy

I also did the hands and chest - felt like nothing after the face, but the neck is a different story... I decided to skip it for now Shhh

Next time, I'll be a lot braver Cool
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Keliu: you wrote:
The information I found on needling is written by the doctor that invented it and he recommends to do it every week for about four to six times with 1mm needles. He claims that this technique can give results equivalent to having your face laser resurfaced but is much more safer and beneficial to the skin.

I'm not sure if you are saying to roll 4-6 times a week-- OR to roll in place, 4-6 times, once a week. Can you clarify?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |