Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
vivre
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Personally Vivre, you may not like what I'm going to say but, IMHO, you are rolling waaaaaay too often with the 1.5 even if you aren't being too aggressive. I did that also, rolling once every two wks with a 1.5mm amd followed that routine for 8 mths. MISTAKE~~!!! I never got results. If I were you I would stop rolling for a while, let my skin relish in the wound healing cascade without reinjuring it. In other words Give it a chance to HEAL! Start using emu oil and give your skin a break.

vivre wrote:
Hello all!!

I have been reading the threads over and over to see if anyone is experiencing what I am experiencing....

The one month prior to commencing rolling I was using aha peels about 5x week (about three months ago) along with rosehip seed oil,avocado oil and evening primrose oil. Rosehip oil is supposed to have natural retinol (vit A) in it and the avocado oil is supposed to have vit A and C in it. The last two months I have been rolling about 1X a week with a 1.5 roller. However, I have not been using it aggressively as I am pregnant and can not use a topical pain reliever. Further, I am unable to use retin A as well. So I have been rolling weekly and daily using..again avocado oil, evening primrose, and added the DIY ascorbic acid recipe (the water soluble one). This week I started using the .30mm for product penetration around 5X week....I was surprised to find that it hurts as well....Not as much as the 1.5mm but does hurt and makes my face sunburned although I don't have blood spots like when I use the 1.5....Here is my question.....I have been experiencing what I think Bethany called the uglies in the 90's of this thread. That is, my forehead is scaly and wrinkly but refuses to peel....I am hoping this is temporary as it looks a great deal worse than when I started.....Although I did not take a before pic I don't recall having too many problems with my forehead....only a deep glabbelar line between my eyes due to constant squinting.....Now my forehead is wrinkly and scaly and I am wondering if this is permanent or is my skin going to eventually peel and show better skin underneath it....Why have I not yet peeled...I know Keliu also uses natural products....for their vitamin content....I am hoping it's my not using retin a that is creating this scaly look..... Again, since starting this process I have yet to peel......this can't be good as how can my skin renew and show what's underneath if I don't peel. I can't even use Retin A after I give birth as I will be breastfeeding...

Maybe I should just use Emu oil all week like MountainGirl and see if that helps improve my skin texture...Any suggestions?

Hi Mountain Girl.....Thanks for the advice!! I think I will take it.....No more rolling...It's tempting to go fast to get results but it really does not seem to work. The worst thing is I don't feel that I rolled all that much....I got my roller end of February and rolled weekly. However, I do not like the way my forehead is looking and I think I'm done rolling for awhile. I guess I may have a case of the chronic inflammation that Bethany talked about....So looks like it's emu oil and maybe (the Rosehip Seed oil, Avocado oil and Wheat Germ oil for their natural vitamin A and C ingrediants). I'm not even going to touch the.30mm roller that I got this week either. My forehead looks and feels too bumpy and wrinkly definately not normal. In any case, we'll see after I give birth in early June what my skin looks like and take it from there....Girls be careful.....it is tempting to go fast but this inflammation can catch you off guard. I considered myself armed with knowledge as I poured over this thread religiously even noticing how the big guns suggested to roll every six weeks.....However, I was hoping to get results by replicating their earlier protocol which was weekly rolls for six weeks....Be weary it may not be worth it...Especially when your face looks worse than when you started..Oh well.....let's hope I can get my forehead to look at least as good as it did before I started with the roller...and that I have not caused permanent damage..
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Vivre...don't worry! You haven't caused amy permanent damage. The skin is amazing when it comes to regenerating itself. Just nurture it gently for a while, until it re-coups. You're going to be fine!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ok so I hunted out my Roller and had a read through the Nova Clinic instruction sheet that came with it.

One part stood out to me: "Aspirin, Nurofen, Vitamin E and blood thinning drugs all cause increased brusing and should not be taken in the two weeks leading up to treatment"

Does anyone know about the Vitamin E? I take 400iu daily (capsules)... Confused is that going to cause a problem?
vivre
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Vivre...don't worry! You haven't caused amy permanent damage. The skin is amazing when it comes to regenerating itself. Just nurture it gently for a while, until it re-coups. You're going to be fine!

Thanks!! It's comforting to hear!! I'm still a bit worried though I can't believe how wrinkly and saggy my forehead looks....I can almost lift and pull it right off my face....I will keep everyone posted on whether or not it tightens back up and the wrinkles decrease and go back to what I looked like before.....When I started rolling I did not have much of an issue with my forehead only a crease between my eyebrows....now my forehead looks really bad (saggy, wrinkly and scaly)...I have been putting the Emu oil on a couple of times a day....I can only hope that all the other rollers listen to your (and all all the other experienced rollers) warnings.... When you first start rolling you see results as your skin is nice and puffy and inflamed and you mistake the inflammation for results....Then you keep it up and your "results" start to look like "damage". Again...be careful.....do not overdue it...
ace243
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
i found a great deal on ebay. its also posted on the discounted rollers page but i thought id post it on here to in case someone missed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Derma-Roller-Scars-Wrinkles-Anti-Ageing-Stretch-Marks_W0QQitemZ270374136650QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33164QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

$65.51 us dollars plus about $6 shipping.it also comes with a awesome free gift worth $14 and i really think its worth that or even more.

he also has some to bid on sometimes so you have to keep your eye out. its a 1.5mm dr roller .but he did say he can get other sizes in
Scrappy

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi i am quite new to this MTS thing. I have had a couple of treatments with the FDA approved MTS roller (the see through blue roller). I am about to buy a roller for home use. Which roller would be the best? The Yellow Derma roller or the MTS one?

Your replies greatly appreciated, Thanks.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I don't know what the "MTS" one is, but I would get a 1.5mm Dr Roller (yellow).

Scrappy wrote:
Hi i am quite new to this MTS thing. I have had a couple of treatments with the FDA approved MTS roller (the see through blue roller). I am about to buy a roller for home use. Which roller would be the best? The Yellow Derma roller or the MTS one?

Your replies greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I rolled one of my stretch marks on my stomach lastnight. The stretch mark is about an inch in length and about 3mm wide.

I sprayed it with Savlon, but didn't bother to use the EMLA numbing cream though. I tried to roll 5 times up, 5 times down, 5 times across and diagonally etc.

It did hurt, but only slightly... it's quite a sickly feeling - to me anyway. I tried to apply pressure, but I just didn't feel that the needles were penetrating fully, so I would try to press even harder but still the same.
I didn't want to overdo it so just stick to the 5 crosses in a star shape.

It stayed red (like sunburn) for the first hour or two. But now this morning the redness has gone. The stretch mark itself looks raised at the moment, instead of slightly indentated.

Well it was my VERY first roll, so maybe next time my technique will be better.
vivre
5% products discount

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Hello!!

Just a follow up....My forehead is a bit better today....Now I'm just pampering it with natural products throughout the day.

Emu oil for it's Anti-inflammatory properties. Vit E capsules...

Avocado and Wheat Germ oil (for natural vitammin A & C)

Rosehip seed oil (natural retinol..vit A)

Essential oils of tangerine, mandarin and orange (Vit C content).

Fresh Carrot and cantalope pulp and juice (for the natural beta carotene-Vit A content.

So far so good.....my forehead is looking better.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Aye yi yi Girl!!!! You remind me of me! You are such an over-doer!! Not one oil, but 6 different ones?! Think Regardless, I'm glad your forehead is better...just take it easy on the combination. Sometimes, something "simple" works just as well!

vivre wrote:
Hello!!

Just a follow up....My forehead is a bit better today....Now I'm just pampering it with natural products throughout the day.

Fresh Carrot and cantalope pulp and juice (for the natural beta carotene-Vit A content.

InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I did my first dermaroll today. I did it to the inside of my thighs and knees (I have fatty knees.) Smile I put Oligo.dx on afterward (Oligo is a cellulite/spot reducer). The Oligo works by itself pretty well, but I thought this might make it work better. Also, I wanted to slowly ease into the dermarolling.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Ok so I hunted out my Roller and had a read through the Nova Clinic instruction sheet that came with it.

One part stood out to me: "Aspirin, Nurofen, Vitamin E and blood thinning drugs all cause increased brusing and should not be taken in the two weeks leading up to treatment"

Does anyone know about the Vitamin E? I take 400iu daily (capsules)... Confused is that going to cause a problem?

This is true about not taking anti-coagulants like Vitamin E, aspirin, NSAIDS (like Advil) or garlic supplements. The daily recommended allowance of Vit E is about 20 IU, so taking a supplement of 400IU will possibly cause brusing or bleeeding problems. Just stop taking the supplements for a couple of weeks before you roll.

FYI - I had been taking a Vit E supp myself and Dr H from 302 told me to not take it based on current thoughts on it
" As to vitamin E, the early work in oncology advocated the daily supplementation of E as an anti-invasive but later studies demonstrated that the supplement added to the risk, not decreased it".

I just take what's in my multi now.

HTH

5% products discount

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="mountaingirl"]Aye yi yi Girl!!!! You remind me of me! You are such an over-doer!! Not one oil, but 6 different ones?! Think Regardless, I'm glad your forehead is better...just take it easy on the combination. Sometimes, something "simple" works just as well!

vivre wrote:
Hello!!

[/quote

I guess it is overkill!!!LOL!! Funny the carrot and cantalope juice and pulp is making my forehead dry and scaly again.....Must be the retin A in it...I'm torn...should I nourish my forehead with the Emu oil or try to get it to peel with the Carrot and Cantalope???? Yep...I've always been a bit of an overachiever!!!
vivre
5% products discount

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Kay2008 wrote:

This is true about not taking anti-coagulants like Vitamin E, aspirin, NSAIDS (like Advil) or garlic supplements. The daily recommended allowance of Vit E is about 20 IU, so taking a supplement of 400IU will possibly cause brusing or bleeeding problems. Just stop taking the supplements for a couple of weeks before you roll.

FYI - I had been taking a Vit E supp myself and Dr H from 302 told me to not take it based on current thoughts on it
" As to vitamin E, the early work in oncology advocated the daily supplementation of E as an anti-invasive but later studies demonstrated that the supplement added to the risk, not decreased it".

I just take what's in my multi now.

HTH

Hi Foxe!!

Would the same rule apply to topical Vit E???? I thought that it's use was encouraged during rolling??

Thanks!!
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 am      Reply with quote
vivre wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Aye yi yi Girl!!!! You remind me of me! You are such an over-doer!! Not one oil, but 6 different ones?! Think Regardless, I'm glad your forehead is better...just take it easy on the combination. Sometimes, something "simple" works just as well!

vivre wrote:
Hello!!

I guess it is overkill!!!LOL!! Funny the carrot and cantalope juice and pulp is making my forehead dry and scaly again.....Must be the retin A in it...I'm torn...should I nourish my forehead with the Emu oil or try to get it to peel with the Carrot and Cantalope???? Yep...I've always been a bit of an overachiever!!!

I think after working your skin so much with the dermaroller, you should let it rest and be gentle with it. Time is the best healer Smile

I wonder why the carrots are making your skin peel so much though. Yours was a good guess but carrots don't actually have Retin A in them: Retin A is an acid form of Vitamin A and created in a laboratory rather than in food. Carrots have beta-carotene in them though which your body then turns into Vitamin A, but you still need to eat the beta-carotene for this to happen.

Anyway, good luck with your skin and don't over do it Wink
vivre
5% products discount

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I wonder why the carrots are making your skin peel so much though. Yours was a good guess but carrots don't actually have Retin A in them: Retin A is an acid form of Vitamin A and created in a laboratory rather than in food. Carrots have beta-carotene in them though which your body then turns into Vitamin A, but you still need to eat the beta-carotene for this to happen.

Anyway, good luck with your skin and don't over do it Wink[/quote]

Thanks!! Really not luck though as I have been researching natural forms of Retin A since I am not allowed to use Retin A cream and preformed types of vitamin A....in pregnancy

Check out these links...

http://www.smartskincare.com/resabstracts/retinoids_antille_exp-dermatol_20040900.html

http://diyacnecare.blogspot.com/
scroll down to see what they say about betacarotene...

Not sure how scientific they are but still some interesting reading...

This morning my skin actually was flaking....The first time in months.....Obviously that's why my forehead was so awful looking cause the skin needed to peel....I guess the oils (Wheat Germ, Rosehip and Avocado) that I was using although they had some natual retinol in them they just were not strong enough. I'm going to continue to apply the carrot and cantalope juice topically three times a day and see what happens...As my forehead is much tighter this morning...I'm not sure what Kassy would say but I actually mixed some carrot/cantalope juice with my DIY ascorbic acid vit C and made a water soluble Vit A (Beta Carotene)and C serum...Hey it's worth a try!!! Mountain Girl....try it and let me know what the Beta Carotene does for you (as I know you want to avoid the Retin A cream)...Hey we are all scientists here and it's only carrots!!!
vivre
5% products discount

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I probably should mention that the beta carotene does make your skin orangey so you do not want to put your face next to anything that can get damaged as the orange color may transfer...
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
vivre wrote:

I actually mixed some carrot/cantalope juice with my DIY ascorbic acid vit C and made a water soluble Vit A (Beta Carotene)and C serum...Hey it's worth a try!!! Mountain Girl....try it and let me know what the Beta Carotene does for you (as I know you want to avoid the Retin A cream)...Hey we are all scientists here and it's only carrots!!!

You go girl and let me know. I just placed an order with Garden of Wisdom, so I am well stocked. I'm running out of space in the frig for any more DIY ingredients. You are a wild one aren't you?!! Just wait till you're in your 50's! Rolling Eyes

vivre
5% products discount

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
vivre wrote:

I actually mixed some carrot/cantalope juice with my DIY ascorbic acid vit C and made a water soluble Vit A (Beta Carotene)and C serum...Hey it's worth a try!!! Mountain Girl....try it and let me know what the Beta Carotene does for you (as I know you want to avoid the Retin A cream)...Hey we are all scientists here and it's only carrots!!!

You go girl and let me know. I just placed an order with Garden of Wisdom, so I am well stocked. I'm running out of space in the frig for any more DIY ingredients. You are a wild one aren't you?!! Just wait till you're in your 50's! Rolling Eyes

I can only hope to look as fabulous as you do in yours......I saw a pic of you once (your acupuncture pic) and you look fantastic!!! Dare I say very early thrities.....I'm turning 37 and you look a great deal better than I do......I have been neglecting my skin way too long!!! We always think that we will do it later..then life gets in the way and the lines literally creep up on you. Especially my glabellar line that keeps getting worse when I discipline my two young boys (3rd boy on the way). I'm trying the DIY method (roller with actives)and then may consider botox eventually if I see little improvement!!! At least I'm now going to reduce the roller usage!!
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Has anyone got the thread saved that gives the DIY info on making your own Vit C spray/serum?

I can't even remember what the thread was called, so cannot really search for it lol.

I did search for 'DIY' and only found a thread called "For Vitamin C Serum DIYers" - is that the one I want?
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I found it!!! after reading the last God knows how many pages of this thread Laughing
vivre
5% products discount

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
I found it!!! after reading the last God knows how many pages of this thread Laughing

I'm glad you found the recipe....I use the L ascorbic acid water soluble recipe but I make it fresh every two-three days and I no longer bother with the glycerin...I use one part powder to ten parts distilled water and I add a capsule of vitamin E to help preserve the mixture. From my recollection the DIY recipe calls for something like 5 parts water..5 parts glycerin..1 part L Ascorbic acid powder. I personally lost all my notes when my hard drive crashed last week..Sorry I could not help you with the thread...
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I have read this entire thread (took my longer than many books I have read! Smile

I am trying to better understand the concept of beneficial vs. harmful inflammation.

Some posts advise against anti-inflammatories after rolling since inflammation is part of the triggering of the mechanisms involved in collagen rebuilding.

Others advise against too much inflammation since it is counterproductive, I assume because inflammation can trigger free radicals and the oxidative process.

So, many are trying to hit the point of just the right amount of inflammation where it is beneficial, but not counterproductive.

I am wondering how the rollers here know when they have reached the point of just enough? some discomfort, some redness, some peeling but not excessively? what do each of you consider to be excessive - personally?

Thanks, BF
ace243
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 am      Reply with quote
has anyone had any problems ordering from here? i think they might have said it was back ordered but i feel like imve been waiting way over a month.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Vitamin-C-L-ascorbic-acid--p188.html
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
This post is related to Emla, which I know many here use with dermarolling.

Last night I went for Restylane for the second time, with the same plastic surgeon.

The first time he used ice only to numb me before injecting - I remember the procedure was only moderately uncomfortable, not that bad.

Last night, I walked into his waiting room to find a roomful of Emla covered patients, each awaiting their turns for Botox and fillers.

My experience - they covered my undereye area and NL folds with a thick coating of Emla. After several minutes, my lips and tongue began to get the numb feeling, but not much else. I guess the Emla drifts into the mouth. During the procedure itself, I still felt the sharp sting of the needle pricks. The only thing I felt less of was the actual material going into the skin.

In other words, I don't think the Emla made much of a difference. His nurse told me that Emla is better than ice because it inhibits bruising - never knew that.

It is true that I got a black eye last time and do not have one now, after this last procedure.

BF
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |