Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone JUST use MMU finishing powder over sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I only use By Terry's highlighter/concealer (which I LOVE) and a light dusting of Julie Hewitt's translucent ORA mineral powder over my sunscreen. I like this method a lot! I do not feel like my skin is suffocating, or that I am excessively made up, just 'polished.' It is kind of like the TM of MMU, if ya know what I mean.

Was wondering if anyone else only uses mineral finishing powders over a more or less bare (i.e. no foundation) face, and if so, let's all compare notes--brands, methods, etc.!

AS well, if we could also list the sunscreens we use underneath--I know there has been some confusion regarding whether or not MMU degrades sunscreen... I recently switched to Avene's emulsion 50+ SS from Bioderma Max Fluide (which I loved Sad ), and will use this for the summer under a dusting of translucent mineral powder.

The JH MMU is very light, it is called "oat." Maybe I am looking for something with a bit more warmth for summer--any ideas much appreciated.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
violetdream
5% products discount

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Why don't you skip the sunscreen altogether and try everyday mineral's finishing power with 30 spf?? I haven't tried it yet but I liked their finishing powders when I ordered from there a while ago. I don't use sunscreen because I can't stand the smell so I mostly just keep out of the sun...I will order this powder if I ever need to spend more time in the sun!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
hi violetdream!

I only use a bit of the powder on my t-zone, and I'm really a stickler for protection, so for me it is all about layering... I don't think I could possibly use enough powder to protect my skin--in that case I'd go with a MMU alone!

But your excellent suggestion brings up another important point to address: IS MMU adequate sunscreen protection? Does anyone really know? TIA!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm also switching to Avene's SS. I'll use MMU or liquid on top. I have gone through summers here in LA only using MMU -- not sitting outside, but while driving etc. I remained my pale, pale self so it must have been enough!
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi Avalange,

I do use mineral make-up over my sunscreen, but my sunscreen is mineral based.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
IMHO I don't think MMU alone is enough for those who tan or burn easily. It also depends on which MMU company and where TiO and ZO is in their list of ingredients. For example I would probably think Alima might have better ss coverage than say EDM just because TiO and ZO is in the first 2 ingredients where EDM Mica is the first ingredient, so you're bound to get a lot more % of active ss ingredients in Alima. Or if you want to use pure MMU go with something that has an SPF rating like Laura Mercier or that EDM finishing powder. I know that the EDM SPF 30 finishing powder has gone through the testing to get rated with an SPF factor so it's a much safer bet than regular MMU where you'd probably have to use a lot to get an SPF of say, 15.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Ive been fortunate enough to be able to have intense skin treatments and surgery to get my face close to what I want and my skin better than it has ever been in adulthood. I have not used foundation in many years. I used to when I was young and it always felt cakey and thick.
Luckily with the way my skin looks, it just glows and is suble and soft.
If I was going to use anything, I would just use a light sweep of powder on sunscreen like you do. Good idea, if you are not going au naturale.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Sunkiller Clearwater with Everyday Minerals Finishing Powder over.
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I use Juice Organics 30 spf tinted moisturizer with EDM finishing powder over it. Yesterday I was in direct sunlight (hot sun) for 2 hours straight (alot for me) and I'm still white as a ghost... Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you now using a liquid ss and then a finishing powder or any sort of powder, is there a wait time so that you don't get a cakey look, how exactly do you make this all work? I have been considering moving to a MMU but would probably just use a finishing powder as I don't really wear a lot of make-up and don't like that made up look. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
For those of you now using a liquid ss and then a finishing powder or any sort of powder, is there a wait time so that you don't get a cakey look, how exactly do you make this all work? I have been considering moving to a MMU but would probably just use a finishing powder as I don't really wear a lot of make-up and don't like that made up look. Thanks.

hi gigiab6,

It's a very natural look--as if you aren't wearing anything. No cakeyness at all. The trick it to just use the lightest possible dusting over the SS. I usually wait about 10 minutes for the SS to seep in, but I would imagine that if your SS is primarily physical, you would not have to wait at all, since then you would be layering zinc oxide over zinc oxide, etc.

Just make sure that the powder you choose is translucent.

--avalange

sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Apart from the cakey look you might also want to be careful when applying powder over ss that it might enhance your flakies (if you have any). I have combo skin and use Clarins UVPlus which is pretty watery and sort of dry so if I wait until it's completely absorbed, the powder always adheres to my flakies. But if I apply the powder while it's still damp I dont have that problem. I've never had a problem with cakeyness though. I think creamier sunscreens would create a better canvas for any powders if you have any sort of problem skin. I also agree with avalange that it depends whether your ss is chemical or physical to see if you need a wait time at all.
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks sormuimui and avalange...I will have to figure that out when I am purchasing. However, I do need a new ss, so it gives me something to think about. Smile

Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |