Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Demystifying the whole "self-adjusting makeup" fad
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed that there are now foundations on the market that claim to "self-adjust" to the perfect shade for your face?
Almay has one. You pick between light, medium, and dark and rub it on...apparently "it" does the rest.
http://www.almay.com/Pg/Main/CatProdDet.aspx?catid=31&catnm=Face&subid=233&subnm=Foundation&prd=28636

Smashbox has a self-adjusting blush:
http://www.smashbox.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/categoryID/137fc320-d41a-4cf2-bdfe-88a95c6bd446/productID/b942dfae-cc4c-46a0-be1e-b8e126d3c1d2/
I guess this transforms into the exact color you naturally blush. Yeah, uh huh. Okay.

Sorry, I don't buy this. How could it possibly sense the color of your skin and adjust to the perfect shade? I think it's a farce, personally. I want to know what others think. I'm sure it's some sort of mixture between pigments/color and letting your own skin tone show through.

Smart makeup? It obviously doesn't work well enough for everyone to buy it. MUA reviews are mixed on the Almay, seems to come out orange on many people...and has only a 60% "I'd buy it again" rate.

Thoughts? I wish I could find info on the actually technology behind it, NOT what the companies claim.
I've been googling for 20 minutes, perhaps I'm just not using the correct search terms

Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Paris, it's interesting that you brought this up--- I was just talking to DH about this. DH is a chemical engineer who sometimes works with color-change pigments, so he's pretty familiar with them. I don't know about the foundation (which sounds like a hoax and a half), but according the DH the kind of pigment in the o-glow is just heat activated, which means it goes on clear, but the heat of your skin causes the pigment in it to show up. However, since it's just based on heat and nothing else, unless you spend a lot of time outside in the cold, the o-glow is going to turn the same color on everyone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
The Almay light one is too dark for me, so its magic sucks.

Laughing

Anyone remember the Wet'n Wild lipstick that magically turned colors on your lips, your perfect shade? YEAH RIGHT! (I liked the blue one.)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
This is one of those things that sounds great for busy women but is totally more of a hassle than experimenting to find your own "perfect" shade. Maybe someday in the future of the make-up world this wil be a reality.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I could not find a match at all w/the Almay foundation way to dark and fake looking
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
i doubt the foundation will be self-adjust!
if you think it can, please tell me the principle!
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

I guess this transforms into the exact color you naturally blush. Yeah, uh huh. Okay.

Sorry, I don't buy this. How could it possibly sense the color of your skin and adjust to the perfect shade? I think it's a farce, personally. I want to know what others think. I'm sure it's some sort of mixture between pigments/color and letting your own skin tone show through.

Smart makeup? It obviously doesn't work well enough for everyone to buy it. MUA reviews are mixed on the Almay, seems to come out orange on many people...and has only a 60% "I'd buy it again" rate.

Confused

I agree with you! I don't believe this product can sense the color of your skin...it is just a marketing trick and not a good one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Has anyone noticed that there are now foundations on the market that claim to "self-adjust" to the perfect shade for your face?
Almay has one. You pick between light, medium, and dark and rub it on...apparently "it" does the rest.
http://www.almay.com/Pg/Main/CatProdDet.aspx?catid=31&catnm=Face&subid=233&subnm=Foundation&prd=28636

Smashbox has a self-adjusting blush:
http://www.smashbox.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/categoryID/137fc320-d41a-4cf2-bdfe-88a95c6bd446/productID/b942dfae-cc4c-46a0-be1e-b8e126d3c1d2/

Thoughts? I wish I could find info on the actually technology behind it, NOT what the companies claim.
I've been googling for 20 minutes, perhaps I'm just not using the correct search terms

Confused

Hey, my mom had a self adjusting lip stick years ago. It went on rose and turned bright orange...years ahead of her time!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I completely agree with your logic about this and how it's all probably just a load of bs.

Idea
But what I was thinking about the blush, as I've been checking out Sephoras site lately Anxious and saw the product, that it is a sort of irritant. My thought is is that once you apply the cream, or gel, or whatever it is to your cheekbones, it irritates the skin, thus pushing out your skins 'natural' blush (or rash Rolling Eyes ). Kind of like in lip plumper's with cinnamon or peppermint.

And with the foundation, it just came to me Idea . I remember self tanning creams that come in white and then develop color over 1-2 hours (Neutrogena had one). Well, maybe this is the same principle. Obviously the color is basically the same shade such as light or dark, but it will create a different pigment on different skin tones. Except for someone having an advance in technology where now it happens instantaneously.

So, there's some food for thought. As a side note, obviously I've been putting off doing papers for classes recently, as I'm coming up with wild ideas of how 'magic makeup' works .

Brick wall

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I just find the whole fad rather hokey...I mean, a makeup foundation that "senses" your natural skin tone? I mean, c'mon!

I found a discussion thread about it and someone mentioned it also works by the warmth of your skin, like Liz mentioned about the blush. Maybe that explains why it turns orange on some people...their faces are too hot!

Anyway...anything that claims to "magically transform into your perfect shade" needs to be analyzed a little bit closer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika, thank you for posting about this! I've been toying with the idea of trying one of these "self adjusting" foundations, and you (along with the input of some others who posted) have pretty much turned me off of it...at least until there is more solid info available as to why it works!

Mary Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe the claims. I mean if the foundation is capable of adapting to match your skin tone exactly why does it come in light, medium and dark why not also come see through like the smashbox blush and then somehow magically turn colour. I find it almost impossible to find a match for my skintone anyway and i will certainly not be buying this.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |