Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Calling all *current* knowledgeable Obagi users!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Ive been researching the Obagi line for a while now and have some questions for those that are currently using the line. There isnt a very centralized location for info on the program, rather everything is a bit scattered and difficult to understand. I want to gather as much info as possible before I go to my derm to start this (and really to make a final decision, although the thought of new skin is VERY tempting!). So here are my questions for anyone who can answer them or point me in the right direction:

1) Seems that the Retin-A is doing all the peeling that reveals new skin and that the Blender is responsible for the lightening of freckles and other sun damage, is anyone using all the products and do you think that they are really necessary?

2) If not what do you think the key products for results are? Im really not keen on spending 300+ dollars on a bunch of products I dont really want to use--cleanser, toner, SS, etc., if I can get away with using my own.

3) How long did it take you to see results?

4) Where you able to wear any face makeup while in the peeling/purging stage?

5) After the 6 week mark do you have to continue using the products to maintain results?

6) Is the end result really worth the weeks of uglies/cost/time?

7) Did you notice a difference in pore size? What were the other results noticed?

8) Has anyone used this on their neck and chest as well?

9) Has anyone started this program when they have already been using Retin-A, did you peel more or less? Will this interfere with results?

10) What is the recommended % of Retin-A to start with?

11) If you stop using the Blender does all your sundamage just come back?

12) Also wondering about the Clear product and how it differs from the Blender.

13) Is a Vit C necessary, if so did you use the Obagi one or one from another line?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer any of the above questions!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
There is a lot of info on my post on Retin A here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22028
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
direction:

13) Is a Vit C necessary, if so did you use the Obagi one or one from another line?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer any of the above questions!

I think you'll find that some really like this line & others don't at all. Lots have said in many previous posts that the uglies lasted too long, weren't worth the results or that their skin never really recovered. Others have said they didn't need the whole line, & others have said the system was way too strong for their skin & it took ages to recover.
My own expereince was w/ vit C @ 15%. I have combo thickish skin, largish pores that congest easily so knew I could tolerate Vit C well. Had started with another brand @ 10% and decided to gear up & bought Obagi @ 15%.

It did a great job at evening out variations in colour of skin but for the first time in my life I had dry,flaky skin! I used a good moisturizer, but it wasn't enough. Could hardly believe my skin (which was so oily in my youth that mother used to say it looked like i'd been dipped in chicken fat!) was dry!!! Not just less oily, but really dry.

All to say, it put me totally off everything Obagi, especially their Vit C. I now use a 20% Vit C (Candessence Triple C serum) and LOVE it. I combine it with her Firming Serum....just gorgeous. They have both rec'd lots of positive feedback on this forum.

If you are looking for a totally new skin, you may wish to consider IPL or the NaturDerm system sold onwww.greatnewskin.com (this system takes longer to see results than an IPL.
I've just seen too many negative posts about the Obagi system.

Good luck.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I use the obagi C Serum and love it. Very light and fresh and spreads nicely over face.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 am      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
There is a lot of info on my post on Retin A here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22028

Thanks, Ive read that thread but, its doesnt really answer all my questions.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 am      Reply with quote
arya2--

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. Im really on the fence about the whole obagi system, honestly my skin isnt horrible, just a few things I want to fix. IPL may be the way to go at this point as I dont really want to start using a ton of harsh chemicals on my skin while Im so young. Just trying to collect as much info as possible before I decide one way or the other. Ive also just discovered that while my skin heals rapidly (probably due to age) its pretty thin due to my genetics, so I dont want to use anything now that will cause me to look like a wad of tissue paper when Im older!

TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Hey vonstella! I fully plan to answer all of your questions, as best I can, later tonight or tomorrow if I get in late from dinner. I just don't have time to go through them all at work. However, I wanted to mention that my aesthetician and many derms actually recommend Obagi before you attempt IPL since Obagi is less invasive. They say that if Obagi doesn't address your issues fully, only then to do IPL. I was considering IPL intially and that's when I was advised Obagi. I've been on it around 3 months now and have really loved the results I've gotten so far. I'll write more about it later. Stay tuned! Very Happy
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella, I really appreciate you starting this centralized thread. I just purchased the new Obagi's Elastin night cream and am interested in the other products.

5% products discount

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella

I am a current user but not knowledgeable though Smile
I had the same questions before I started using OBAGI. Even though I purchased the whole set, currently I am only using #3, #4, and #5+Retin A with my own Vit C and SS.

I started using OBAGI on 2/17 and noticed some good results after 2 weeks.
I really did not go through the horrible peeling stage mentioned by many users. (Probably because I use moisturizer a lot??) But the first 2-3 weeks I did have some minor peeling and my face was pink. I did not use makeup but I used MD Formulations Tinted Protector during the day. Whenever my skin felt tight or burning, I just slathered it on my face. (YES. I carried that tube with me all the time!) It is moisturizing enough and provides some coverage. It also is a sunscreen even though it may not have the best ingredients. But it works well for me. (My derm told me not to use other products but I couldn’t help it!)

I will keep using Retin-A for sure. I never used Retin A before this but it does wonderful things to my face. Less fine lines, more even tone, and smaller pores!! I have 2 brown spots that are barely noticeable now. Later I will probably use HQ 2 times a week instead of everyday.

I also apply it on my neck. I think the lines on my neck are softened. Not as obvious as before.

My derm wanted me to start with .1% Retin A. But I worried so much about the “uglies” and decided to go with 0.05%. After I finish this tube, I will probably try .1% next time.

I am also wondering about the difference between Clear and Blender. If they are similar, I can just use the Blender and Retin A after I finish my first set.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I used this I believe about 1 year ago. I stayed on the whole program for 3 months. I never had any peeling at all, just some flakes around my mouth area. I was told it was not necessary to peel to get results. I did not think I had any results either, except new broken caps, but looking at the older pictures I had taken and comparing them with some now, there was a definite difference in my skin. I definitely could tell that my freckles were lighter and my skin looked pretty good. I am older than you and I started it for wrinkles, but after being told I would need to use it for 1+ years, I just did not think it was worth the time/effort and the effects. In talking to the nurse that I bought my stuff from, they obviously recommend you use the whole system, as its supposedly the sum of the parts. It is most peoples opinion that the products that are the "must haves" are the exfoderm or Ex forte, clear if you have major hyperpigmentation, and the most important 2 are the blender and Retin A. You can start at .05% Retin A, or even lower if you need to. The actual whole program is 3 cycles of 6 weeks, in other words 18 weeks at the minimum, and then you would go on maintenance using the products a couple times a week, and repeat the whole cycle (of 6 weeks) once or twice a year (can't remember which one now). There are a lot of people using this on neck/chest with good results. Everyone is different and everyone will have different results and expectations. It is a personal choice, and you really can adopt a gentler approach so you don't have the red, peeling skin by using it slower (though most people want fast results and don't go slower). As for the sun damage coming back after you stop the blender, I think it depends on how vigilant you are using sunscreen, hats, etc. Hope I helped you a little and sorry I was so long winded!
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I neglected to mention an important fact about the 15% serum. It contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Now, when my skin was drying out and I didn't like the look of it, I decided to Google the ingredients I didn't know much about just to educate myself.

I think I found my answer about the effects on my skin when I looked at this sulfate ingredient. You can google it yourself rather than take my word for it. Bottom line - I will never put anything on my skin (it's an organ after all & absorbs chemicals, etc) that contains this ingredient. Also learned many contributors to this forum are of the same opinion.

All the best.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
I neglected to mention an important fact about the 15% serum. It contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Now, when my skin was drying out and I didn't like the look of it, I decided to Google the ingredients I didn't know much about just to educate myself.

I think I found my answer about the effects on my skin when I looked at this sulfate ingredient. You can google it yourself rather than take my word for it. Bottom line - I will never put anything on my skin (it's an organ after all & absorbs chemicals, etc) that contains this ingredient. Also learned many contributors to this forum are of the same opinion.

All the best.

Good to know. I dont use SLS either in any products. Thanks!

TAM--

I'll be waiting for your report!

Thanks bellasera and rileygirl for your replies!

c4ward, Im glad you are interested too. Obagi is a bit of a mystery to me at this point and I really wanted to get as much info as possible in an easily accessible location.

TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
1) Seems that the Retin-A is doing all the peeling that reveals new skin and that the Blender is responsible for the lightening of freckles and other sun damage, is anyone using all the products and do you think that they are really necessary?

Both the Clear and the Blender have 4% hydroquinone. I don't really understand why they have you use both in the evenings, so I recently just started using clear in the a.m. only to save the product. I haven't noticed any reduced benefits from this.

Also, I use all of the products in the Nu-derm line, although lately I've started using Osea mudd cleanser in the mornings instead of the Obagi one. I don't think that the cleanser and toner are required, but some people have sworn their skin didn't look as good with they took these out of the lineup. I've recently stopped the Exfoderm as well since it seemed to only be aggravating my skin more on days that it was sensitive from the retin-a. It's basically just a light AHA product to help with the turnover/peelies.

2) If not what do you think the key products for results are? Im really not keen on spending 300+ dollars on a bunch of products I dont really want to use--cleanser, toner, SS, etc., if I can get away with using my own.

I think I summarized above...key would be clear, blender+retin-a (at least .05 or .1) and probably exfoderm (or exfoderm forte).

Within about two weeks my skin already started looking smoother and more firm. Sun spots didn't start really fading until around weeks 4-6.

The first couple of weeks were pretty rough for me, but that was primarily because I had to figure out how to use this properly according to my skin's needs. I adjusted along the way as needed. I don't wear foundation of any sort, but found during times of major peeling, I had to use a more moisturizing sunscreen than my beloved Sofina. Sofina would just really accentuate the peelies. Also, there are times that the powder on my eyelids looks a bit cakey when they go through a peeling phase, but I just dab a little moisturizer over my make up and it helps. My cheeks have never peeled so I have no problems with blush.

5) After the 6 week mark do you have to continue using the products to maintain results?

I think with anything you will need to continue to use some treatment products over time. I'm actually on the 18 week regimen, not 6 weeks. 18 is what is recommend by Obagi so that your skin is able to go through 3 cycles for full benefits. After that I will continue to use these products at least 2 times a week. I'm very pleased with the products so far so I don't plan to give them up anytime soon.

I really don't think you have to go through horrible uglies to obtain results. I had minimal ulgies and just looked more like I had a mild sunburn than anything. It only lasted a couple of weeks which wasn't a big deal to me. The flakes can be hard to hide at times, but I do dab a bit of moisturizer on the ones that are adamant about not behaving. Obagi wants you to stay away from moisturizer but I don't know how you can get through the peelies without a bit of it. If I'm home I don't care if skin is hanging off my face, but I'm sure not going to a meeting that way! Laughing

7) Did you notice a difference in pore size? What were the other results noticed?

Benefits so far:

Reduced pore size
Minimized lines
Increased firmness around cheeks/jowel area
Sun spots faded (not freckles)
Overall skin tone evened
Sort of an overall glow (mostly from even, smoother skin)

Cool Has anyone used this on their neck and chest as well?

These areas are MUCH more sensitive than your face. I use the products here about 2-3 times per week or they will get really red and sore. I unfortunately haven't noticed much in the way of results, but expect this to take at least twice as long since I'm only treating it about half the time.

9) Has anyone started this program when they have already been using Retin-A, did you peel more or less? Will this interfere with results?

N/A to me, but I can't imagine how this would interfere with the original retin-a results, other than boosting the effect. The blender is supposed to allow the retin-a to penetrate even deeper than it can on it's own. At least that's the claim.

I only use .05% retin-a and will not increase it as I feel this is plenty to get me results I need. Although I've been using the system for 3 months, I still have to take at least one break a week to let my skin recoup or else it starts getting too red/irritated. I would say start with this percentage and if you tolerate it well, then move up to .1% after a few weeks. Even changing the ratio of blender to retin-a will help to dilute it a bit if needed. Also, listen to your skin. Many that use this system feel it's normal to have a lot of irritation. I, on the other hand, feel that it's not only uneccessary but harmful to let it get to that point. Redness is fine and normal but pain is not and could lead to more damage, IMHO.

With any hydroquinone product, stopping use will most likely reverse the results as far as sunspots go. This is because HQ interferes with melanin (brown) production so your cells stop producing it. Many people think HQ bleaches the skin but this is not true. So, if you allow your skin to start producing melanin again, they most likely will come back. I'm not 100% sure whether or not sunscreen alone can prevent the darker melanin from returning. The cells may already be damaged to the point where they constantly produce it regardless if sun damage occurs again or not. Make sense?

They are similar ingredient-wise since they both contain HQ and I believe lactic acid. I will double check the ingredient list and let you know if I see any major differences, but they are supposed to act differently. The clear is basically the main HG product while the blender works with the retin-a to allow it to penetrate deeper. Again, that is the claim anyway.

Vit C is not recommended with the Nu-derm line and I read somewhere that it should only be added in after week 6 or later of the Nu-derm. They have a separate Vit C system and that is what their vit c serum is primarily made for. I just recently added vit c in to my routine a few nights ago. No differences to report as of yet.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer any of the above questions![/quote]
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Whew! I hope that helped Vonstella! Let me know if you have any other questions. By the way, I did this without going through a derm. I'm sure they would have pushed it harder on me as far as my usage goes, but I'd rather listen to my skin instead of them. Laughing
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Wow, TAM, thanks so much! You really cleared up somethings for me, just a few more questions if you dont mind!

Are Obagi and Nu-Derm the same thing? Ive heard people talk about both but Im still not sure.

Also why is it that you are not suppose to use a moisturizer? Bascially to get a lot of peeling asap?

Im going to make a derm appt. for later this month to discuss all the in's and out's of the whole system before I make up my mind. Like I said im my first post, the idea of "new" skin is very alluring however Im still worried about having to use certian ingred. in the line indefinitely to maintain my results.

Any thoughts on this?

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone else completed a cycle and be willing to share their experience?

hkyarrington
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote

The clear lightens, the exfoderm helps turning over the skin

that's up to you to decide, depending what you want to accomplish

First week lots of peeling, I'm now at my 7th week and my skin is drastically better, every day it looks better and better, skincolor is even, wrinkles are less.

I used mineral makeup

Yes

Absolutely

Yes, less wrinkles, skintone even, very very soft skin

Cool Has anyone used this on their neck and chest as well?

Yes same results

I haven't used Retin before

Start low you can always go up

Don't know

Blender is mixed with the Retin A, makes it very easy putting it on the skin, it makes the Retin A work better.

I started using Vit C after my 6th week and use another line
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I've used this line on and off for about 2-3 years.

Obagi is the name of the Dr. that created the line (except for Retin-A). Most people just call it Obagi.

I noticed in your tag line that you have fair, sensative skin. I would think long and hard about using this line. It's very harsh and I think that's why some people have trouble with it.

Clear is what they say gets rid of brown spots and Blender is "supposed" to push Retin-A deeper into the skin. (I've yet to figure out how that's supposed to happen). They both have a lot of HQ in them.

When I started I only used Retin a and Clear. Had flaky skin every day. About a year later, a friend, who uses the whole line, gave me Blender, Foaming Cleanser and Exofoderm. I've noticed nothing new using Blender and the Cleanser. Exofoderm seems to really help with the flakes...but, it's a grossly over-priced AHA. You might do better with Alpha Hydrox from the drug store. You can water it down with distilled water if need be.

You can order the products over the net for less $$. Don't use 2cool2fast...very unreliable. You can also bargain with some Drs. Obagi has a very high mark-up. Some Dr's have "developed" their own lines as a knock-off of Obagi. They realize Retin-a is the backbone of the Obagi line and it's not even Obagi. These lines are less $$.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |