Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question for ladies who wear jade bangle bracelets
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ever since the first time I saw someone wearing a jade bangle bracelet, I thought it was just the most elegant piece of jewelry. In my opinion it goes just as well with a t-shirt and jeans as it does with a fancy dress. DH brought me one back from Singapore and it's absolutely one of my FAVORITE pieces of jewelry, however, there's something I've been wondering about: is it true that some ladies wear a jade bangle and they just never take it off, even wearing it in the shower, etc? I think it's a nice idea since I honestly think that the bracelet goes with everything, however, wouldn't it get in the way of something things, chip or crack if you wear it during strenuous activity, etc?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
It is true most wear their Jade bangles 24/7, though I'm not sure about the chipping/cracking part. I've never seen one that was chipped or cracked and I know older relatives who have worn them for 10+ yrs. They wear them 24/7 because the more you wear jade the better it's supposed to become - it increases in clarity. Of course this is good quality jade and there are many fakes/bad quality ones on the market. I think jade is also a pretty hard rock in general. Also if you get light surface scratches and regular wear and tear you can always take it to a jewelry store and get it polished. HTH
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I had worn my jade bangle for 5 years 24/7. Yes, I wore it while playing tennis. I believe one of the reasons people do not take it of is because the size of the bangle is small. All of my relatives who wear jade bangle need to use oil to put it on or take it off. The reasons for wearing small jade bangle is to prevent it get into your way and slip off from your wrist.

The hardness of jade is 9 which is very hard. I remembered once I tripped during tennis practice and landed on my left wrist which I had my jade bangle. It did not chip or crack. But I've heard many people cracked their jade bangles. One other thing is, if your jade is all nature, grade A then it's hard to break than grade B (removed the impurity and injected glue) or grade C (dyed). I'll be very careful with jade bangle no matter what.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
my mum adore jade accessories. she tends to wear her bangle 24/7 but on and off she does switch around to other bangle.

one thing is, the longer you wear the nicer it becomes. the color of the jade will turn purer. and some believe in that jade can fence off evil, bring good luck also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've been admiring these jade bracelets for awhile, but never bothered to buy one because I wasn't sure how to pick one out.

Anyone know where to buy a good quality jade bracelet?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great info, ladies!! MACrisis, I can't believe you've worn your bracelet for 5 years and you even wear it playing tennis! Shock (I'll bet it looks AWESOME with your workout clothes, though!)

Paris, to answer your question, I don't know where you could get a nice one stateside. If possible, I think the best option would be to go to a nice jewelry store in China or Singapore that specializes in traditional jewelry like jade. However, I CAN tell you that if you've been considering getting one I would totally recommend going for it. I actually don't wear a lot of green so when I first got my bangle I was afraid I wouldn't wear it so often, but it feels soooo good on my wrist and looks so nice, I find myself reaching for it almost every day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Sigh...I'll probably never be in China or Singapore...not in the next 10 years at least.
That's what I was afraid of.
Sad.

I'll just have to admire from afar!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
If there's a Chinatown, there will be a jewelery shop that sales the jade bangles. Where I live, there's a Little Saigon Mall and on the top floor, tons of jewelery shops that sells them. Than you have a fun time bargaining with each one till you find the best price. My mom has worn hers for at least 20 years, 24/7. I had some but always broke it so sometimes I go buy the fake ones which comes in red, purple and so forth.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to get a good one, go to a Chinese jewelry store which has a good reputation or someone you know. There are too many grade C jade sold as grade A. Price varies a lot. Personally, I don't buy any expensive jewelry (jade, gem stone) from people I don't know.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I had a good quality one, purchased in NY's Chinatown and given to me as a gift from my stepmom. I wore it for many years before I ended up cracking it (but it didn't happen easily) Sad It's sitting in my jewelry box until I figure out what to do with it. Any ideas, you creative folks? It's still in one piece.

This thread has me nostalgic and wanting another one...

montrealgal
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
P.S. I agree - would not buy jade from someone who did not come recommended or has a solid reputation.

montrealgal
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
My mom has one.. she also wears hers 24/7. A lot of chinese jewelry shops have them. My aunt in Boston has a jewelry shop and sells jade bangles and other jade stuff too. You can tell if a jade bangle is fake is when there's a line in the middle around the bracelet, and they're really light comparing to the real ones.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm my grandma wears her's only occasionally - think she doesn't like the clunkiness of it as she usually wears bracelets Smile But yeah wear it 24/7 and the jade will get greener and have more shine!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
I had a good quality one, purchased in NY's Chinatown and given to me as a gift from my stepmom. I wore it for many years before I ended up cracking it (but it didn't happen easily) Sad It's sitting in my jewelry box until I figure out what to do with it. Any ideas, you creative folks? It's still in one piece.

montrealgal

I think of a few items of jewellery that can be made with your jade bangle but first you need a good reputable jewellery store. You can re-cut your bangle to make pendants, rings eg cabuchon (spelling?), earrings etc.

Yes, most people wear bangles 24/7. It is also supposed to have protective qualities for the wearer against evil spirits!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
montrealgal wrote:

montrealgal

I think of a few items of jewellery that can be made with your jade bangle but first you need a good reputable jewellery store. You can re-cut your bangle to make pendants, rings eg cabuchon (spelling?), earrings etc.

Yes, most people wear bangles 24/7. It is also supposed to have protective qualities for the wearer against evil spirits!

Thanks, Ninetynine. The problem right now is the reputable jewellery store. Sad But I will keep this in mind.

Montrealgal
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
montrealgal wrote:

montrealgal

That is a really awesome idea, ninetynine! My jade bangle is so precious to me that I always live in fear of cracking it. However, it's nice to know that if it ever DOES break I can have part of it reset into a ring.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I love my jade bracelet. I picked it up in Taiwan at a "Jade Market" a few years ago and have received many compliments. It does go with a lot of things, especially since I love the colour green and about 75% of my wardrobe is in that colour. LOL I find it too heavy to wear everyday though, plus I like to change my bracelet and jewellery every now and then, but it is definitely one of my favourite pieces.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Are you talking about greenstone???
Jade or as we call it greenstone can break if dropped on hard surface so be very careful.
Very beautiful and precious.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Hello
I enjoyed the thread. What about men wearing a jade bangle. I bought my wife two at different sizes. One was to big and I wondered if I could get it on. Well, with her help I got it on and really thought it would come off. You guessed it. It is stuck. It is not to feminine being white and it sits snug. I like it and it feels good but have my fits of anxiety over wearing it. I really do not want to break it.
what is your opinions? Is it taboo for a male to wear a jade bangle.
Jadejunkette

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 am      Reply with quote
i was just trawling the net looking at jade bangles and jade lovers and came across this rather dead thread but decided to post anyway.

Anyone still out there??
mandyjune

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Growing up, my mom bought me a jade bracelet whenever I'd grow out of my old one. One time I was playing around outside and fell on my wrist. The bracelet shattered and since then I've never had another one. It's a beautiful bracelet and is seen as a treasured part of our culture but I definitely would recommend being careful when wearing one.
Jadejunkette

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I have a few favourites places to buy my jade bangles from... but would like to know more places to add to the list.

Ladies, please do share your favourite sellers, be it real-life shops, virtual shops like internet vendors, or other places!!
cuddlekat

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry for barging in. I happened to be surfing on the internet looking for more information on the properties of jade--as in does it really turn greener when it's continually worn and found this conversation. I recently bought some jade, bought some more, and now I wear it all the time. I don't know what it is about this stone, but I can understand why it is so loved. I'm considering buying a bangle and am very interested in your opinions. Very Happy
Jadejunkette

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:33 am      Reply with quote
on jade turning greener, well it's definitely a well-loved chinese urban myth! the key idea that jade is porous is true, but the colouring within the stone is determined by chemical compound inside, and that doesn't change with frequent wear. Frequent wear however, does somehow make the jade more "lively" (more sheen - probably from showering with it), but I don't think there is a scientific basis for colour change. In fact, if your jade changes colour, it might not be a grade A piece!

I recently bought more pieces too, and I'm still hungry for morreee!!! Could you PM me on where you got your pieces from??
blueeeeie

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hello!!

I'm from Singapore and I just bought my first piece of jade. Its a small ice jade pendant and its really pretty!!
The younger generation here have never really been big fans of jade since its tend to be thought of as old fashioned. But ice jade is really something else entirely.

Was told that it was the most expensive of all jade types and has an almost "ice-like" appearance with a translucent slightly green cloudy texture on the inside.. (its supposed to be how you tell its real)
My jeweller is an old friend of my mum's who custom made a more modern looking piece for me to wear.. all in all I'm really really happy with my new pendent!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |