Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Actives and anti-aging for a beginner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Would be much appreciated! Smile

I am turning 30 in a few months and am finally happy with my day to day skincare routine. Oddly enough, in the past few weeks I have noticed fine lines appearing under my eyes and I realized it might be time to start some actives or something. I have sensitive skin and would be looking mostly for light or preventative effects. However, I don't understand much about what does what, despite reading this board for a while.

So, what are some good anti-aging basics to investigate? I know there is retinol, CPs, and Vit C, but I'm not sure what these each do or what else is out there.

I understand that everyone's skin reacts differently to various ingredients and products, so I'm not necessarily asking for recommendations. I just need a little guidance! Of course, if you have any products that you would love to suggest, please feel free. Very Happy

I emailed Julie (not sure if I got the name right) asking if she would recommend something like her HA Soy Lift as an anti-aging product for a beginner but haven't heard back. I remember reading good things about that on this forum.

Oh, and I know that sunscreen is a must. I am experimenting with some and will figure that out soonish!

Thank yous!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
You are at the age I wish I was still at, because of all the wonderful products that are now available. If I could go back to your age I would invest in a good skin care line rather than experiment with many actives which you probably don't really need at this stage. I would go for a good cleanser that will really clean your skin but not strip it ( I don't know what your skin type is but I love Cellcosmet and Valmont cleansers), a mild exfoliant (Cellcosmet is my favourite), a good moisturiser (my suggestion is Remergent Barrier Repair), an eye cream and a good sunscreen (Remergent SPF30).
Keep it simple but invest a little now in your skin care and I believe it will pay off in the end and you won't be like me spending lots more to repair the damage from a lack of good skin maintenance when I was younger.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
You are at the age I wish I was still at, because of all the wonderful products that are now available. If I could go back to your age I would invest in a good skin care line rather than experiment with many actives which you probably don't really need at this stage. I would go for a good cleanser that will really clean your skin but not strip it ( I don't know what your skin type is but I love Cellcosmet and Valmont cleansers), a mild exfoliant (Cellcosmet is my favourite), a good moisturiser (my suggestion is Remergent Barrier Repair), an eye cream and a good sunscreen (Remergent SPF30).
Keep it simple but invest a little now in your skin care and I believe it will pay off in the end and you won't be like me spending lots more to repair the damage from a lack of good skin maintenance when I was younger.

I've heard so much about the Remergent DNA and just haven't tried it. I think at 30 a Vitamin C serum would be a good place to start as it evens skin tone. Good brands are Vivier (I find it a bit oily for summer) and PSF (who took the glycerin out of the new serum and may be a good summer alternative). I hated Cellex-C and Emergin C.
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Bushy, I have started using Osea products and am very happy with them. I've never ventured into Cellcosmet or Valmont simply because of the $$$. At what age or what signs of aging do you think one should consider an active, if not now?

Rufus, thanks for the suggestion. I've seen a lot of people mention Vit C on the forum, so I'll look those brands up.

I don't know, do some people think actives aren't even necessary? They seem to be inevitable from what I've been reading.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I simply use a AHA (glycolix 10%) every night with a moisturizer to follow. Morning I use a CP(neutrogena serum) with a moisturizer/spf.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Personally I'd save the retinol til later and slowly start to introduce C serums and copper peptides (not at the same time of day though!). A gentle exfolient wouldn't hurt either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Shawna wrote:
Bushy, I have started using Osea products and am very happy with them. I've never ventured into Cellcosmet or Valmont simply because of the $$$. At what age or what signs of aging do you think one should consider an active, if not now?

If you are happy with the Osea products and they suit your skin then stay with them. The only encouragement for another product I would give is the Remergent Barrier Repair mainly because it would be of most benefit for someone of your age as it helps to prevent damage to your skin. As you don't appear to have any other issues other than some fine lines under your eyes, I don't believe it is necessary to start any actives at this stage. But perhaps you do need to reassess your eye cream if lines are appearing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Guapagirl, thank you! That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I just saw a thread titled "Intro to Vitamin-C 101" so I'll be referencing that for some info.

Bushy, I recall that Remergent was being pretty good about samples for a while there, so I might contact them and see if I can get some. You're right, I think I need to investigate new eye cream options. Honestly, I've been using the Juvena eye serum for a while now, but no eye cream since my issue has always been puffiness and I've yet to try a cream that doesn't worsen the puffiness. For the moment I am sampling the Osea Eyes and Lips. It isn't causing any puffiness, but I'm not sure if it's helping with the lines.

Sirius, I think I might be too sensitive for an AHA. But I don't know much about variances in %, so that might make a difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
SUNBLOCK

Ok, you know a bit about it...just don't forget it because it's possibley the best thing for anti-aging and applies to everyone.

The next best thing would be to read this board and others as often as you can. Only you know your skin, how it reacts, your pocketbook size and myrid other things that will affect what your course of action will be.

Retin-A would be the next best thing. There are multiple types. Read up on them before getting a script or ordering over the net.

AHA's are good for most. A good one at 10% is Alpha Hydrox (in a red box). It can be purchased at most drug stores for about $10. Store brands are offten sold at 8% for a little less $$. Whichever you buy, you can dilute it with distilled water if your skin is sensitive.

Eye puffiness has several causes. To treat yours you need to decide what's causing them. The two main things that get rid of them are changing living habits and surgery. OTC's generally don't do much.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |