Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
scarring from retin-a
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
vanejane
5% products discount

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using retin-A off and on for years and overall have loved the results, I am dark-medium skin and spend daily hours at the beach. Any fine lines I have had in the past,(around the eyes) no longer exist, it also really cleared up any acne and inittially the acne scarsI had. One problem though this last year I have developed horrible scars from small pipmples (untouched). It seems as though my skin thinned or something, about a month ago I was drying my face with a sarong at the beach and a little twig in the material scratched my face, which is now also a scar. Has anyone else experienced increased scarring withing retin-a? How about retinol?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
if you've been using retin-a.. are you using a STRONG sunblock before you go out in the sun?

It's my understanding that any Vitamin A product can make your skin extremely sensitive to the sun! Which in turn makes exposure to the skin dangerous!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
In a nutshell, retin-a + beach = trouble. Unless you're using a strong sunblock (and even then) I'm surprised you haven't developed pigmentation problems...esp. if you're medium/dark skinned. The thin skin could be over-use..I would cut back.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
This is what happens to make skin when I'm not wearing sunscreen (very photosensitive to the sun). I'd suggest you wear sunscreen and try to stay away from the sun.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I don't understand the replies. I do know that when using AHA and retinoids SS should be used but are you all saying that what causes her scarring is retin + sun exposure which makes her skin more volnurable to scarring or just the retin?
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Uhhhh sorry, am I reading this right....but did you say you use RetinA and then go to the beach Shock Shock Shock

That's a HUGE NO NO. I'm surprised you have not gotten worse damage. Neutral

Theres lots of threads on Retin A use, and most users know the sun and Retin A DONT get along!
Did you consult with a doctor or dermatologist before using retin A, about how dangereous the sun becomes?
Retin A, makes you even more prone to sun damage. I recomend you consult with a doctor immediately. And....stay out of the sun, unless you want permanent scars and spots.
I also recomend you reead some of the retin A threads. Sounds by your post, you are not very knowledgeble about your use of Retin A which could ultimately make you worse off than you are now. It's not a product to be taken lightly.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
You use Retin-A and spend daily hours at the beach ?!?!?!?!?!?!Image

Are you CRAZY, girl?????

Forget about the twig. Why on earth would you bother with Retin A if you then turn around and spend hours in the sun? There isn't a sunscreen on earth that will protect you under those conditions.

I really think it's time for you to rethink your entire approach before you do any more damage to your skin than you already have.
vanejane
5% products discount

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I know that you need to be extra cautious using retin-a and being in the sun. I always wear at least an spf30 with uva/uvb protection. I grew up in the ocean and on the sand, I live in hawaii, surf, and get all my exercise in the water and outdoors. (Tough to maintain nice skin, but I can't compromise the lifestyle I love that makes me feel healthy and good). Ive talked to my dermatologist and he said using retin is still OK (I a have a new apointement in a couple weeks), I had been using a .05 cream. I am mexican with medium-dark skin and luckily don't have any problems with burning in the sun and never have, even when I don't use sunscreen. I still can't figure out why the scars, has this happened to anyone else. I thought retin-a was suppose to increase collagen production. I have layed off the retin-a , but am worried my acne will return now. As for now I just use c-serum in the morning, + NIA 24 repiar and an spf of course, any more sugguestions? Do you think a glycolic/salylic lotion used for acne at night will worsen my condition, I know it makes you more senstive to sun too, if this has to do with the scaring... thanks for the advice I need it..

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I would say its because you are out in the sun. Even if you are using good sunscreen. I've used retinA a lot in the past under dermatoligist supervision, and not ever had a problem.

If you love the sun so much, I understand not giving it up, but it's like smoking and training to run a marathon, it just is not condusive to eachother.
I would use something else besides RetinA.
Bottom line is sun exposure and retinA will cause damage, so maybe it's not going to work for you.
Since you are saying you are having problems, well, that is a normal reaction to retinA and sun. I dont expect it to get better at all, only worse as you age, use retinA and expose your skin to the sun. I would say you would be saving your skin by not using retinA. Knowing your lifestyle, I am surprised your derm put you on it in the first place. And seriously, you could be doing cellular damage, besides visable scaring.
Curious to know how old you are?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I most emphatically agree with SandraG. If you love the sun, and aren't willing to give it up, that's a personal choice. But a 30spf sunscreen is NOT sufficient to protect the skin of a Retin A user on a beach. I use a 30 spf ss as part of my daily skincare routine and that means sun exposure on city streets NOT on the beach.

The fact that you never burn has no bearing on whether or not damage is being done to your skin. I have a mediterranean complexion and I've never had a sunburn in my life. However, after years of lifeguarding, although I still didn't get a sunburn, I did get skin cancer ! It's also the case that the HIGHEST incidence of skin cancer on the planet occurs on the African continent, the majority of whose inhabitants have a very high concentration of melanin in their skin.

Frankly, if your doc told you this was ok, I'd advise you to find a new doc. I CAN understand your love of the beach. But, if that is the lifestyle you choose, you are a really bad candidate for Retin A. You're wasting your money on it and you are adding to your skin problems, not alleviating them.

You take this latest "twig" incident as just a very minor heads up.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Take it from a former queen of baby-oil & iodine in Acapulco-no I never burned either-it's no protection from sun damage. If you can't give up the beach, ditch the retin-a. Oh, please continue slathering the sunscreen however.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Oh, please continue slathering the sunscreen however.

Good advice, but (re. previous discussions over in skincare) don't make it that Jan Marini, worse than the fact that it is photounstable someone pointed out to me that it only contains 1% Avobenzone. Nothing like adequate protection.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:07 am      Reply with quote
vanejane, at the very least find a sunscreen that is high PPD. And yeah decide whats more important to you...being able to go to the beach alot or using retin a and keeping exposure to a minimum.

But by the sounds of it - you love the beach so id be looking to try going without retin a and see how you're skin goes.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |