Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

best shadow for thinner middle aged eye lids
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have never tried MMU's but thought they might be too drying or shiny. The lids are also a bit irregular do to a strange upper bleph a few years ago, so anything with any kind of shimmer to it is bad. Using a shadow base can help with evening out color but it can also give it a dry thick look. My lids are not even dry but the shadow tends to do that to it. Also darker colors do not look as good on me as when I was younger and they can look messy particularly during the day. I am preferring softer colors. Anyone else noticed that as they aged?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I have also noted that eyeshadow issues are different for me now that I'm well past fifty. Shimmery ones accentuate any crepeyness and lines, but dead matte ones can make me look tired, so what I do is to use a nudish wash of shimmer over or under a more matte neutral, adjusting just a bit so that the effect is subtle.

If you have the beginnings of hooded eyelids, that also affects how you do your shadow--putting something dark in the crease just makes the hooding look more obvious. Again, subtlety seems to be the key.

Though I use mineral makeup generally, I haven't found mineral eye shadow that I like as well as Bobbi Brown and Chanel. I tend to stick with light neutrals--Bobbi Brown has a lot of very flattering ones in both matte and its shimmerwash finish, which is not as shimmery as it sounds. Why not head for a department store and get an eye makeover, which can give you good ideas about how to adapt your makeup style? HTH...
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
You know, turning 52 has been the big WHAMMY for me in terms of aging. I am a HUGE MMU fan but the eye shadows just do NOT look good on me anymore!

I'm more and more aware that in terms of coloring I'm a "winter" and even a hint of warmth in a color is too orange (must be that white hair in the temples that I really truly DO love!).

I've always heard that BB makes awesome shadows. What neutrals do you recommend? I'm going to go look there now ...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm not pleased with my eyelids either mommiedearest. And I'm not into shimmer, glimmer or frosted anything on my face. I have very good success with the Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadows. They REALLY LAST without creasing and most of her shades are matte finish. I also love Paula's Select powder shadows which are ALL matte as well. Good luck!
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Susieq ... have you had an need to change your usual colors as you've gotten older?

I've found that as I age I can wear fewer warmer tones.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Well good to see I am not alone here. In some ways my lids are better now that I have had my upper blephs done and make up looks much better than before the surgery, but the texture is still not the same as when younger. I do have hooding but I purposely kept that on my lids. It is natural for me - just needed to be cleaned up. So that part I can deal with but because the actual lid skin is looser and not as smooth the shadow does not look so great - even with primer. I often now just prefer a smudged eye liner and leave it at that.

I used to use BB when younger when I wanted very natural. Good idea to go back there for eye makeover and suggestions.

4sons - I am a winter also and that is why the deeper smokey purples and stuff were always great for me. I still need depth but not sure about the colors. Anything that can look orangy or reddish is not good. If I just try and go really light with the purple type colors I used, it looks messy. I might need to go to more brown colors which is something I generally stear away from but I might be able to find some that look like contour on my skin to just add more 3D to my eyes and forget about color. I have been told that deep winters (what I was) do lighten up with age but can't remember if we change to cool or soft winters. Either way, they do say the colors that you should wear change slightly. They have modified that whole system now and there are gradations between the seasons .
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:

4sons - I am a winter also and that is why the deeper smokey purples and stuff were always great for me. I still need depth but not sure about the colors. Anything that can look orangy or reddish is not good. If I just try and go really light with the purple type colors I used, it looks messy. I might need to go to more brown colors which is something I generally stear away from but I might be able to find some that look like contour on my skin to just add more 3D to my eyes and forget about color. I have been told that deep winters (what I was) do lighten up with age but can't remember if we change to cool or soft winters. Either way, they do say the colors that you should wear change slightly. They have modified that whole system now and there are gradations between the seasons .

Believe it or not I have an appointment to have my season focus rechecked in May! I decided that I might as well wear what looks best on me! I have very deep set eyes as well (think Eastern European)and wouldn't change the shape of my eyes as they're part of what makes me look like me (!) but I do toy with the idea of a brow lift (highly unlikely, however)>

It will be interesting to see what colors really DO look best on my makeup wise! I hope my own personal style (pretty natural) doesn't conflict with my coloring (which looks best with dramatic color).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - lucky you to be doing that. I have been thinking about it for a while. I did it long ago and things have changed. Please tell me what you find out. Yes, I don't think the eye surgery is needed unless there is hanging skin over the lashes or such puffiness under the eyes that it makes a huge tired statement and cuts off your vision. That was happening to me and the first thing I noticed is how I could finally see again like I used to. I always felt tired too even if I wasn't from the shadowing and pressure on my lower lids. I think brow lifts and volume work better for most eyes anyway and in retrospect that may have been a better path for me to go. Oh well. Don't like cutting so much, even with the best it changes shape a little.

I used to be more Dramatic as well before - at least for getting dressed up - but then I got king of sporty after becoming a mom and now I want more Drama but I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get there again because it often just looks too overdone and harsh and I am softer now (in many ways, lol).
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
it often just looks too overdone and harsh and I am softer now (in many ways, lol).

Oooooooo yeah ... Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Me too 4sons! I find the warmer shades look best on me, and I always stick to the neutral shades, such as greys, mauves, copper, some browns.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm 53yo now and I have to use an eyeshadow primer or it looks like ..... I use the peach toned one from Vital Radiance and really like it, before that I used the Urban Decay one. I use mmu and really like Lumiere's shadow called "Rested" it's not a shimmer but not matte either and it provides a great base, then I can wear a light wash of shimmer but not glitter with matte for contour. I find that if I don't wear shadow and I'm wearing foundation I just don't look polished. Good luck.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm 57 and find it better to use a cream eyeshadow now. I use Urban Decay primer underneath and find this works well in keeping it in place all day. I've always loved makeup but as one ages you don't want to look like a "painted lady" so I steer away from colours such as blue or green and just stay with neutrals and browns. I think the cream eyeshadows give a softer look. Nars has some nice colours - so does Revlon.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
i think beige with shimmer will be perfect Laughing
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 am      Reply with quote
felinehhy wrote:
i think beige with shimmer will be perfect Laughing

The people at Bobbi Brown online agree with you! Very Happy I emailed their "ask an artist" and received a response this morning. With my coloring (winter/gray hair/fair to medium complexion/gray blue eyes) they recommended a BONE color all over, medium gray on the lid (which would never even show so I won't do that) and a darker grayed color above the crease,and then a navy liner smudged all around the outline of my eye.

I just HAPPEN to have similar colors so I'm going to use them for awhile and see how it goes.

Here's to the beige shimmer!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown has so many lovely subtle eyeshadows. One of my favorite is woodrose, a coolish light mauve. One of the best investments I ever made was getting the nude-on-nude eyeshadow palette--five full sized neutrals with a nice double-ended brush (with a sharper edged end for using the darker shade as an eyeliner. Unfortunately its LE, but fortunately it is sold on international flights as a duty free item. Because of that, it's also readily available on e-bay.

Surprisingly, I found that the colors look quite different from each other on my eyes. So I can have lots of different but pretty neutral looks out of that one palette. Bobbi Brown made a similar palette of nude-on-nude shimmerwashes (also LE) but that's harder to come by.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Bobbi Brown has so many lovely subtle eyeshadows. One of my favorite is woodrose, a coolish light mauve. One of the best investments I ever made was getting the nude-on-nude eyeshadow palette--five full sized neutrals with a nice double-ended brush (with a sharper edged end for using the darker shade as an eyeliner. Unfortunately its LE, but fortunately it is sold on international flights as a duty free item. Because of that, it's also readily available on e-bay.

Surprisingly, I found that the colors look quite different from each other on my eyes. So I can have lots of different but pretty neutral looks out of that one palette. Bobbi Brown made a similar palette of nude-on-nude shimmerwashes (also LE) but that's harder to come by.

Wow ... sounds fabulous! Does those palettes have names so I can go check for them on ebay?

Thanks!
Ruth/4sons

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
They're BB Nude-on-nude palette and BB nude-on-nude shimmerwash. If you check on e-bay, you can see what colors are contained in each. Each has one or two LE colors, but the rest you can check out at a department store.

I'd check the colors myself but I'm at work and don't have the palettes in front of me.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Flitcraft - the woodrose actually sounds very nice. What brand is LE for the nude on nude? Are they all shimmer? Matte is actually better for me. Maybe a touch of shimmer placed in certain areas but not a whole lid of it.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi mommydearest -

I checked on ebay under "Bobbie Brown Nude"(per flit ...???)and found about three or four of the eye shadow palettes she recommended. They had both the matte and slight shimmer versions available. The colors were very nice ... very neutral. I just don't personally need that many. I'll try to pick up the nude single where I can.

Good luck finding what you need!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I live in NYC and they probably have them all at the dept stores here. I'm gonna check em out too.
Cuddles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have had great luck with Trish McEvoy and Bobbi Brown shadows. I stay away from shimmer and use neutral tones. A good primer helps,too.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |