Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bad Shopping Experiences: Venting is Allowed!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Store: Sears, downtown Vancouver
Dept: Lingerie
Employee: Leonie
When: this afternoon

I was in-search of a new style offered by Wonderbra, and upon asking sales associate Leonie if the store happened to stock the new style, she wasn't aware of the product. Instead of approaching her colleague to ask, Leonie called out her inquiry. "Hey, do you know if we're carrying a new style from Wonderbra?" I happened to find what I'd been looking for just as she bellowed. What followed was very embarrassing, unprofessional, and unacceptable.

Leonie inquired about the size I sought. Upon telling her my ribcage measurement, she claimed that I was wrong. Unbeknownst to her, I'd had a professional fitting last week, at a specialty store where I normally shop.

Having gained weight this past year, I am no longer a 36-inch bandwidth, and definitely up a cup or two. I also realize that not all bras fit the same. I will take the weight off, and I do not want to spend a pile on a really expensive Chantelle, LeJaby, or whatever bra, knowing I need something larger for the meantime, but of good quality. Why invest in an expensive bra, knowing that it'll be too big in about a month? The weight comes off quickly when I'm working on losing it, and I have begun making a conscious effort to return to my formerly stellar habits. (I'm aware of my weight; it's increase is reflective of a very stressful past 18 months, and laziness before. Hey, I'm not worried: I used to weigh over 210lbs, and got as tiny as 135lb, with a tonne of muscle, and wearing size 4.)

"Let's measure you." said Leonie, as she grabbed her tape measure, and motioned myself to allow her to do so, right then & there. I objected, as this happened to be in the middle of the lingerie department, with other customers, including men, whom were also shopping.

As if I'd want to be measured, while within full-view of everyone! Embarassed Upon hinting this, Leonie replied that she'd not considered the setting, and brought me to the fitting room.

Before she began, once again, I stated my correct ribcage measurement (38"). Ignoring me, she responsed "Oh no, you're much bigger than that!" Nice.

One does not measure for undergarments over a client's clothing! Regardless of how light/thin my nylon atheletic apparel happened to be, an accurate measurement cannot be taken over clothing! "You measure 44 inches." she said.

No, I don't. Weight gain or not, I have NOT become the size of a tank nor a brick sh**house! Had I accepted her measurement as correct, purchasing a bra with such a bandwidth, I'd have had NO SUPPORT along the band!

The final insult occurred upon leaving the fitting-room, after my "professional measuring". As I walked back to the Wonderbra style I'd been interested-in LOOKING AT (for it's price, detailing, etc.), Leonie stated, "The larger sizes are in green, along the bottom."

1. I hadn't asked for her help, other than to point me towards the style I sought. She didn't know of the product & assumed more than she ought have.
2. Lessons in tact & discretion would benefit Leonie.
3. Cockiness & rudeness, no matter if intended or not, are always unacceptable.

I didn't even bother looking at the bra that I'd been interested in, let-alone others. Instead, I fled the department, angry, embarrassed, and with negative self-image. Like, "Helloooooo! Look, everyone! I'm a fat, gianormous cow! Mooooo!"

Just to double-check, I went across the street to The Bay, and had someone there measure myself. I had been right: I'm at 38" right now. Kindly note: the sales associate at The Bay was equally as surprised when I relayed the enormous bandwidth I'd been told of by Leonie at Sears. Leonie was merely ... a good SIX inches off in her measurement! And, no, I didn't buy the bra at The Bay; it wasn't to my satisfaction.

Perhaps there is an undergarment specifically fitted for obese, condescending, unprofessional women such as Leonie? I believe that such a specialty garment comes fitted with a gag-feature, to inhibit conversation with undeserving customers?

I happened to encounter a colleague of Leonie's (from the same dept). When I described what had happened, she noted that Leonie "can be like that sometimes". Obviously, I'm not the first customer graced with Leonie's demeanor. I shall likely be the last.

And, yes, I did contact Sears regarding my unfortunate experience. GRR! Mad

On a positive note: I cleared out my cosmetics this weekend, and found a box of old M.A.C. product. "Old" as-in REALLY old: some had been purchased before 1996. Yuck! M.A.C still maintains their "Back to M.A.C" program; one can bring their used, empty, or old products to their pro-stores for recycling. They used to offer a free lipstick selection, for every six pieces recycled. Now, they offer choices between lipglass, lipstick, and eyeshadows. Put it this way: I brought back enough old crap to receive two shadows, a lipglass, and lipstick. Though I'm not the M.A.C junkie that I used to be ... 10-15 years ago (pre-Lauder buy-out), and don't wear much make-up anymore, it was still nice to get some freebies. The M.A.C store is about a block from Sears, not in Sears, of course!
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Wow I am glad you complained!! I can't believe how awful that lady was!

Free makeup helps a little (def not enough)!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
That's a very humiliating experience BUT maybe describing a size 44" bandwidth as a 'tank' or 'brick sh*house' is a bit tactless for those people reading this that might be that size?!
Caspers Mum

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
That's a very humiliating experience BUT maybe describing a size 44" bandwidth as a 'tank' or 'brick sh*house' is a bit tactless for those people reading this that might be that size?!

You're absolutely right, and I apologize! Embarassed

Kindly note that I once measured at 45.5", over ten years ago. My use of the derogatory terms were reflective of the way I felt about myself then, and again yesterday.

Again, I was once over 210lbs, at 5'6", but worked INSANELY hard to get a "bod". I was very critical of myself back then, had low self-esteem, but once the weight came off, my self-confidence was stellar.

Yesterday's use of the negative terms were a throw-back to my negative feelings about MYSELF. Now that I've put on a significant amount of weight again (stress & grief will do that to gal!), my old patterns of negativity have returned. I'm very self-conscious & unhappy with with myself, and despite knowing that I have implemented my better habits, Leonie's incorrect measurement & "oh, you're much bigger than that" comment had me wondering if others saw me as having again become the person I so hated 10+ years ago.

I hope that makes sense, and I'm sorry for offending others with my self-depreciating, negative comments. Confused
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Obviously Leonie didn't watch Oprah the day she talked about bras. Most women are wearing bras that have a bandwidth larger than what they actually need, and you will not get the proper support with the wrong bandwidth size. I've always just picked out what size felt good, which was normally loose, not thinking that it wouldn't provide enough support. I know as soon as I'm done nursing my baby, I'm going to go get a professional fitting done, since I will need all the support I can get. And it definitely won't be a Sears. Wink
Caspers Mum

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Obviously Leonie didn't watch Oprah the day she talked about bras. Most women are wearing bras that have a bandwidth larger than what they actually need, and you will not get the proper support with the wrong bandwidth size. I've always just picked out what size felt good, which was normally loose, not thinking that it wouldn't provide enough support. I know as soon as I'm done nursing my baby, I'm going to go get a professional fitting done, since I will need all the support I can get. And it definitely won't be a Sears. Wink

Sears selection wasn't the problem, nor was my experience reflective of their staff. It was the ONE person whose conduct was unfavorable.

Kindly note, everyone, that I e-mailed Sears (Canada) last night, and received a response this morning:
Thank you for your recent email. It has been added to previous correspondence dealing with this issue and sent to the store manager.

Thank you for choosing Sears.

Regards,

Jenn

I guess my complaint was not the first.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum wrote:
sarahb wrote:

You're absolutely right, and I apologize! Embarassed

Kindly note that I once measured at 45.5", over ten years ago. My use of the derogatory terms were reflective of the way I felt about myself then, and again yesterday.

Again, I was once over 210lbs, at 5'6", but worked INSANELY hard to get a "bod". I was very critical of myself back then, had low self-esteem, but once the weight came off, my self-confidence was stellar.

Yesterday's use of the negative terms were a throw-back to my negative feelings about MYSELF. Now that I've put on a significant amount of weight again (stress & grief will do that to gal!), my old patterns of negativity have returned. I'm very self-conscious & unhappy with with myself, and despite knowing that I have implemented my better habits, Leonie's incorrect measurement & "oh, you're much bigger than that" comment had me wondering if others saw me as having again become the person I so hated 10+ years ago.

I hope that makes sense, and I'm sorry for offending others with my self-depreciating, negative comments. Confused

I completely understand, having yoyo dieted for most of my 30's. I hate the weight I am now, (although I'm not a 44" bandwidth Wink), but I also love food and think life is far too short to constantly worry about what I eat and being miserable because I shouldn't have a piece of cake! What really, really p*sses me off, is the media and this portrayal that all women should be a super slim and wrinkle free! No wonder we have such a low opinion of ourselves!

I say, forget about the wonderbra, go braless and bugger to the lot of them! Wink
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I can feel your pain.Nothing to add but sending hugs.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |