Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Our Body Image
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
While waiting for my husband during a recent doctors office visit I came across a magazine with the following article. I am so happy that I could find it on line to share with all of you. This article, literally, has changed my life and how I see myself. I hope it speaks to each of you the way it did me. Every woman, no matter her age, needs to read this.

Enjoy,
Winnie

http://www.bodyimagebook.com/bodyimagebook.pdf
persephone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Those are really beautiful photographs. Thanks for sharing it, Winnie.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am pretty cynical and ambivalent about what I saw, but I applaud the photographs of the elderly women and the very heavy ones.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this Winnie As a middle aged woman I've long ago come to the realization that the body I had at 20 is unattainable and I am who I am today Very Happy Of all the pictures Gretchen's moved me the most - what a brave lady, RIP.
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing. The pictures are all wonderful, very arty.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
THanks for posting.

I really enjoyed reading what each woman had to say. The photographs were also very well done.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting, all the stories moved me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
thank u very much for sharing this with us. all the stories were touching and we should listen and learn from those women.
the pics were wonderfully done, very arty

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie, Makes one think. Very well done.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bravo ... what a wonderful tribute to womens' bodies! I think MORE magazine had a couple of those in it somewhere along the line.

The young and beautiful? Young and beautiful. The middle aged and unashamed? Gorgeous. Gretchen? Brave and breathtaking.

And Constance. Did you see that twinkle in her eye?

She just might be my heroine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Just gorgeous...both the photos and the stories.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for posting this Winnie - the photos and stories are just beautiful.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I thought this was GREAT Exclamation I also really like the Dove campaign about showing different and normal looking women. What a great thing to teach our young girls.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's at least as important to teach men & young boys. And I'll really be impressed with the campaign that includes women that are not completely epilated. At least this book went outside the "fit & strong" box, which the Dove campaign did not.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing that Winnie. Smile I've passed it on to all of my girlfriends.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie, I printed it out.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Winnie, you made my day! Thanks and big hugs to you for posting this for us! Brought me to tears (the good kind)....
puds xoxo
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie,
Thank you for taking the time to post this! Self-acceptance can be such a struggle sometimes...this book is wonderful inspiration!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your share.
I like it. Very Happy
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
Of all the pictures Gretchen's moved me the most - what a brave lady, RIP.

I totally agree. It was horribly sad yet still awesome that she was there.
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
That was absolutely lovely. My favorites were the entries from those ladies with a few more years under their belts, and I really got a kick out of Constance's outlook (the second to last entry). Thanks so much for sharing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie. Interesting. I did like the photos of the older women. I thought they had lovely sparkles in the eyes. Sadly I do not agree that a 25 year old girl should be that obese...not from a body image point of view but purely for her health and lifespan.

I consider myself most days to be fairly sensible but when I look at too many magazines I find my own self wondering about my body image. I am quite slender to start with (size 4 US size) and I have to close the mags and wonder what it does to younger girls who are insecure about themselves as they grow up to be constantly bombarded with these messages about beauty and icons of beauty that are cocaine addicts, rude and usually unenlightened about the world they live in. I have particular distaste for the increasing sexualisation of kids body images in the way they dress, makeup etc. Who needs makeup and spa manicures at the age of 6? I think moms out there and dads have a tough job.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Thanks Winnie. Interesting. I did like the photos of the older women. I thought they had lovely sparkles in the eyes. Sadly I do not agree that a 25 year old girl should be that obese...not from a body image point of view but purely for her health and lifespan.

I consider myself most days to be fairly sensible but when I look at too many magazines I find my own self wondering about my body image. I am quite slender to start with (size 4 US size) and I have to close the mags and wonder what it does to younger girls who are insecure about themselves as they grow up to be constantly bombarded with these messages about beauty and icons of beauty that are cocaine addicts, rude and usually unenlightened about the world they live in. I have particular distaste for the increasing sexualisation of kids body images in the way they dress, makeup etc. Who needs makeup and spa manicures at the age of 6? I think moms out there and dads have a tough job.

I agree with you, Blacklace. The problem I see is that the job is made tougher because most do not really understand the meaning of the word "no". Fighting societal influences has been going on well before now and it's really a matter of maintaining control over what your children do, who they spend time with and how they view the world. One of the greatest gifts a parent can give is that of self worth. It is the one thing that seems to be largely lacking as exhibited by the selfish, non-empathetic nature of many people. If you're comfortable in your own skin, you won't need to take others down and will appreciate beauty in all its forms.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTJQIBI1oA&NR=1
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
alibabka wrote:
Awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTJQIBI1oA&NR=1

Very interesting. LOVE her attitude. Sorry about her size though. Yes, we do not all have teeny tiny little "help me" bodies. BUT we don't have to be fat. I'm a type 2 diabetic. Is it genetic? Yup. Got siblings with it as well. But ALL of us could have postponed the onset if we had stayed THIN. (And no, it's not because we all ate too much ... I am adopted and wasn't even raised with them. I met them in my 40's. It's GENETIC.)

I'm 5'3" and I'm ok at 125 ... the weight my diabetes educator recommended. I'm MUCH more comfy around 132. I don't think I could maintain 120 although I'm going to try.

If someone is fat and doesn't want to lose weight that's their choice ... but there are a WHOLE lot of studies out that that would indicate likely health complications down the line.

As a teacher I see kids w/ALL body types and the ones I get concerned about are the kids with the big frames. There is NOTHING WRONG with these frame but they carry a higher risk of being overweight just because of genetics.

People need to make healthy food/exercise choices no matter WHAT their frame size.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |