Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
OK, so I'm reading more and I think that was a knee-jerk reaction back there. The more I read, the more I'm finding out about the positive side of magnesium stearate and stearic acid. However, I wanted to show everyone something I read last night on Sea Buckthorn. (I use the topical oil, but it also comes in capsules.)

"Sea buckthorn provides a lavish feast of nutrients required for healthy, luminous skin. This superfruit contains high volumes of omega 3, 6, 7 and 9. Add in flavonoids, vitamin E, carotenoids, phytosterols, phospholipids, and many more; and you start to appreciate why sea buckthorn is so good for the skin..." The company makes a lot of lovely body products too. I don't know the rules about posting links, but EDS doesn't sell it so I assume it's OK.www.seabuckthorn.ca Apparently it also lowers cholesterol and compounds in the bark and leaves are anticarcinogenic and antitumorogenic. It is also good for the mucous membranes especially the tissues of the vajayjay Wink (not sure if this applies to the capsules or some sort of topical application...)

Just checked out Seabuckhorn and it looks interesting. Do you use the single source supplement (the one that has everything!). A little pricey - that!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Hello SS, I just started the single source and the topical oil once every two days over my lower eyelid area. Too early to tell what it actually does. It sure sounds good though!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
arym wrote:

I love it when I see a woman who is of a mature age but you can't guess how old she is because she seems ageless in attitude and appearance.

It makes me feel hopeful that one day all women upon reaching that mature age will have that look.

We baby boomers are setting an example for our daughters that older doesn't mean losing vitality or becoming matronly in our looks like our mothers and grandmothers.

Ladies, agree or disagree? Have a great day!

I wholeheartedly agree, Arym. I'm 57 and regularly get told, "You don't even look FORTY for heaven's sake!" or some such thing. It is not luck. It is darned hard work and a lot of research and $$$. Twice in two weeks (last year, when I think I looked older), I had an incident where someone thought the friend I was with was my mother! In the first incident, a pharmacist said, "Oh, is this your mom?" and then repeated it when I gave her a "look" behind my friend's back. The second time, an old buddy of my other friend said, "Wow your daughter must be getting so excited about the wedding!" (patting me on the arm). Both friends saw the funny side of this and neither is interested in looking younger so it didn't really matter. I do work very hard at it as most do on this forum. It was an embarrassing way to hear that I look younger than my peers though Sad Of course, had I been either friend, I would have gone into shock. lol:

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm thanks Arym, Life Extension use to have good nutritionals but I haven't looked into the skin care. I am a huge fan, and I know there are tons on here of NaturDerm products. Just to let you know they are having one heck of a holiday sale http://www.greatnewskin.com/index2.html I still have yet to find products that can replicate what these have done for my skin. I have lines and blackheads that are just gone. My skin stays firm, clear and radiant. I love the products and the company. I really like that my purchases go to helping kids in need around the world!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have the thread for the Naturederm reviews that you mention, Lilybear? The products sound wonderful. The before and afters look the same to me, just different lighting, so I can't go by that. I know when I have my 10x on different light settings, I go from having no wrinkles at all to looking like I could plant peas in them. Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia, if you take a look at lilybear's posts in her profile, you will see that she utilizes every opportunity to rave about Naturederm products and post link to their website. I don't trust this poster to give independent, unbiased reviews of Naturederm and the company behind the products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Thank you. I see that with another poster too, who makes her own products and then comments on them like they are a brand. Good marketing I guess!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I just want to make it perfectly clear that the comment I just made above there (too late to edit) refers to someone who sells these products and not to any kind and generous soul who shares her own recipes on this site.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm laughing for all the fine women who make their own products who understand what you are talking about Antonia. We just look out for each other here. We have some who like to endorse their own agenda and we know that's not what you are looking for.

Now tell us all your secrets why your friends look like your mom.....

Sis
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Smile The secrets are simply eating well, taking too many health supplements Wink working out and always wearing sunscreen. I think there is a bit of a dark side too...a fear of growing old and not having achieved many of the things that I had hoped to. I really do believe I'm neurotic sometimes...

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Well, I just joined this forum and I am 60 but have had a little "help". Had some maintenance done last December including a full face laser which did wonders. I take great care now to be sure to use sunscreen, good skincare and have just purchased the Clarisonic. So we will see. How do you get the discounts in the signatures????? I hope to be moving to Florida as soon as I can sell this NJ condo!!!!!
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
bettinfla wrote:
Well, I just joined this forum and I am 60 but have had a little "help". Had some maintenance done last December including a full face laser which did wonders. I take great care now to be sure to use sunscreen, good skincare and have just purchased the Clarisonic. So we will see. How do you get the discounts in the signatures????? I hope to be moving to Florida as soon as I can sell this NJ condo!!!!!

I am new to EDS also. I have read this forum carefully up to page 18 but wanted to say hello so I've moved to the end. Will go back later to read the rest. I'm 59 and live in Sydney Australia so I need a strong sunscreen every day. My skin is okay but have noticed more lines since I've lost weight and since menopause!! I've just bought some remergent products following recommendations on the forum. I also use skinceuticals and MD Skincare. I am interested in the Copper Peptides mentioned earlier on. What sort of changes have people noticed with using CPs. Also are there any more great news stories about the DPL or Baby Quasar?
bettinfla

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Once I reached menopause -- the big Miss M I call her -- everything went downhill. I woke up one day, looking 50 when I went to bed and woke up looking 60. I didn't get it. My advice is take many supplements, vitamin C, e and of course antioxidants and natural horomones (Suzanne Somers). Use a clarisonic -- and PRAY for strength to accept what you wake up with!!!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, bettinfla and Miss Anna! It's chock full of good advice based on the experiences of actual users who are happy to share their good and bad reactions to their skincare and makeup purchases.

I'm in my late fifties--and menopause is in my rearview mirror, so I am really grateful for all of the participation on this forum from mature folks. So, relax, kick off your shoes, scroll through and search the forums...

I find that I often change my mind about a product during the course of a single thread, sometimes going from "Skeptical, not interested" to "Hmmm...maybe this is something I should try" to "Hey, where's that credit card now that I'm ready to order!?" in some cases, and from "Wow! I have to try that!" to "Hmm...maybe I should wait and see" to "Nope, not for me I think" in others. Either way, I learn a lot and have come to appreciate the generosity, sincerity, and good humor of the other forumites here.
bettinfla

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome -- there is certainly a lot of information here and I will be visiting often.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it is really an eye opener. I'm particularly impressed with the members that make their own products. Putting glycerine and sorbolene together is one thing, but knowing how many actives to add and in what proportion so it doesn't harm your skin is amazing. I would like to try some of the recipes but am not sure where I could get the ingredients in Australia. Anyone know?
pellie
5% products discount

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
peachie me too Sad Facial exercises have helped and there is a big difference with the firmness of my skin from the NaturDerm products. I started to use the Epidermx II and Chrysalyx for my old acne scars (that is another story, and shocked how they have smoothed out, I even like to look in the mirror now!) am seeing significant lifting. I added the Naturdermx and I think it is also flattening the scarring, it definitely has taken out some lines, woohoo! I like that they use the high tech stuff without silicones, that is hard to find. My skin has never looked this good before. I saw an old picture and I look atleast 15 years younger, hoping it lasts!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
miss anna wrote:
Yes, it is really an eye opener. I'm particularly impressed with the members that make their own products. Putting glycerine and sorbolene together is one thing, but knowing how many actives to add and in what proportion so it doesn't harm your skin is amazing. I would like to try some of the recipes but am not sure where I could get the ingredients in Australia. Anyone know?

I'm in Australia but order all my products from overseas websites. I know the Aussie dollar has gone down, but the prices of DIY ingredients are not that expensive. Most websites provide all the information you need to make your own serums and creams. Take a look at these for starters:
www.gardenofwisdom.com www.bulkactives.com www.skinactives.com www.thepersonalformulator.com www.cellbone.com

Here is one Australian website that I know of but their ingredients list is not as extensive as some of the overseas companies:
www.escentialsofaustralia.com
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Keliu. I will check them out.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Way back in this thread, we were discussing the huge number of supplements I (and others) take on a daily basis. There was concern about the magnesium stearate (a lubricant used in the production of most powdered and tabletted supplements to improve flow and dispersal of active factors). Since a few websites exist to press panic buttons regarding this ingredient, including my own panic button, I contacted the Life Extension Foundation, which produces a vast number of high quality supplements and whose research is second to none. They sent me a three-page attachment regarding this issue, which set my mind completely at rest. Anyone wishing to read it, please PM me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia - Is it possible for you to give a synopsis or to post an abstract from it. I'm sure many members would be interested but may not want to bother you with a PM. Did it mention the other fillers often found in supplements as well? thanks for your help.

Sis
tish
5% products discount

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies! I have been lurking for months, but this is my first post. I too cannot believe how much my skin (and every other part of my body) has changed since I went through menopause. I am doing Flex Effect and I think that has done amazing things for my muscle tone. I also use the Anti-Aging Lightstim and I have just started using Retin-A and the ZO line by Obagi. My biggest bugaboos are my puffy eyes and dry, dry skin. Thanks for all the info!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sis,
It's too long for me to write an abstract. The only filler I enquired about was magnesium stearate. None of my gazillion supplements contains any other fillers/preservatives. In a nutshell, you would have to consume over 1,400 supplements a day to reach toxicity level and the compound doesn't behave in the same way as a hydrogenated fat (which is the claim made by a few websites). Tons of supportive data. I'm sure hte benefits far outweigh the risks. I'm not quite up to 1,400 a day yet Bad Grin

If Bethany reads this, I cannot for the life of me find where she recommended the Youth Serum for my eyes. (I think it was she...) I now have it. It arrived in two days. Thanks again for the recommendation. And Kassie - something's on its way to Fla. Off to do my Ageless exercises...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
And Kassie - something's on its way to Fla. Off to do my Ageless exercises...

Ahhh! Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm, but I have to get through my 59th birthday on 1/1 first. Shock .. Laughing

I'm still waiting for my darn delivery, and I don't think it will be here till Tuesday now.. Crying or Very sad I'll let you know when it's in the *air*... Laughing

I can forget my ageless till Sunday at the earliest. My grandson's are here for the weekend, and sick with colds to boot.. Sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
If Bethany reads this, I cannot for the life of me find where she recommended the Youth Serum for my eyes. (I think it was she...) I now have it. It arrived in two days. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Antonia, that was not me...I recommended Relastin, ViterolA, or ZO. Soemone else deserves the credit for the Youth Serum!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |