Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Sothys Anti-Ageing Comfort Cream - Grade 2 (50 ml / 1.69 floz) Orlane 24 Hour Hydration Limited Edition (50 ml) Bremenn Clinical Strength Smooth Serum (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
55 and over Skin Care issues

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
Ssue
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 73
Sat May 09, 2009 5:10 am      Reply with quote
What an amazingly informative thread! I've just stumbled upon this forum again and have forgotten how helpful it can be.

With aging skin concerns that continue to increase with each passing year, I've settled into a routine using a mild retinol, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid in the AM then a DMAE night moisturizer and vitamin K cream for under the eyes at night.

_________________
Sue ~ www.skincareresourcecenter.com
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Sat May 09, 2009 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I'm confused. I thought that both Vitamin C and the LightStim would reduce brown spots. Where did you read that the combination would cause them?

I'm now using the LightStim at night with Cellbone's Hydra CP+ and Vit. C in the morning. Is this OK?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree - Have never heard, read, or otherwise that C + and LED could give brown spots. Quite the reverse.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Posts: 1184
Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I don't know any clinical evidence that suggests that Vitamin C, with or without LEDs, can cause hyperpigmentation. I agree with Sis, the evidence is the other way around. And my own use, admittedly anecdotal evidence, supports that LEDs and Vitamin C together reduces sunspots and dark pigmentation.
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Sat May 09, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all. I am much relieved, since the last thing I need is more brown spots!
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 496
Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
I can't believe I didn't know about this forum until a few weeks ago (have been relying on Make Up Alley for advice). I wanted to say hi, and to add that in the two weeks I've been lurking and trying to distill 1000 pages of posts into a workable routine for a lazy person, I have not only spent some serious $ (including a Baby Q) but have seen amazing results! So thank you all.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa - Welcome to the bottomless pit of advice and credit card debt! Laughing

We have fun here - learn lots, help each other out and often spend too much on things - hopefully most of which
we actually use and need.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Mon May 11, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Leniny wrote:
I'm confused. I thought that both Vitamin C and the LightStim would reduce brown spots. Where did you read that the combination would cause them?

I'm now using the LightStim at night with Cellbone's Hydra CP+ and Vit. C in the morning. Is this OK?



Using Hydra CP (copper peptide) and Vitamin C serum both in the morning is your culpret.. CP's cancel out Vitamin C, unless you use them seperated by many hours (12 hours is perfect!)

Use the Vitamin C in the A.M. and use the Hydra CP in the P.M. You will increase your benefits if you do an LED treatment 30 minutes after applying your Hydra CP.

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Using Hydra CP (copper peptide) and Vitamin C serum both in the morning is your culpret.. CP's cancel out Vitamin C, unless you use them seperated by many hours (12 hours is perfect!)

Use the Vitamin C in the A.M. and use the Hydra CP in the P.M. You will increase your benefits if you do an LED treatment 30 minutes after applying your Hydra CP.


Hey, I'm going to try that right now = Thanks Kassy.

_________________
Enjoying dermalogica with my ASG and Pico toner ** Disclosure: I was a participant without remuneration in promotional videos for Ageless Secret Gold and the Neurotris Pico Emmy event.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 496
Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Maybe this has been covered (haven't managed to read every thread in this forum!) but I was wondering about foundations for less-than-perfect skin. Anything that provides adequate coverage to even out skin discoloration while still looking natural and not accentuating lines and pores? It would also be nice if it lasted longer than a half hour or so on my oily skin. My most recent acquisition was Make Up For Ever HD. I tried it at Sephora but in real life it seems both too heavy and too short-lived: it looks unnatural when applied and then disappears quickly!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
blondehart
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 48
Fri May 22, 2009 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I really like Jane Iredale mineral makeup. At first, I thought it was too light/natural, but now I really love it...and that it has SPF 20 in it, also.

_________________
50+, blonde/hazel, light/freckled skin, trying to avoid invasive procedures
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Fri May 22, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Leniny wrote:
I'm confused. I thought that both Vitamin C and the LightStim would reduce brown spots. Where did you read that the combination would cause them?

I'm now using the LightStim at night with Cellbone's Hydra CP+ and Vit. C in the morning. Is this OK?



Using Hydra CP (copper peptide) and Vitamin C serum both in the morning is your culpret.. CP's cancel out Vitamin C, unless you use them seperated by many hours (12 hours is perfect!)

Use the Vitamin C in the A.M. and use the Hydra CP in the P.M. You will increase your benefits if you do an LED treatment 30 minutes after applying your Hydra CP.


Sorry Kassy, I just saw your post.

I was unclear in what I said; I've actually been using the Vit C in the morning and the Hydra CP in the evening before the lightStim so I guess that's OK. I've also added cP serum every other night, and maybe that's overkill.

I haven't seen much change in my skin yet, except that when I went to look for a raised spot on my face (keratosis?) that I've had for years, I couldn't find it at all!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Well now missy, I'd say getting rid of something you've had for years is a great "skin change".. Laughing

Patience is a virtue when it comes to CP's + LED's.

Your regime sounds fine too, (C in the A.M. + CP's in the P.M.)

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
trigger
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 233
Fri May 22, 2009 11:59 am      Reply with quote
hmm. I've started to get interested in trying Jane Iredale makeup as my sunscreen, however just went to see the ingredients, and it seems that bismuth (which is known to cause general itchiness it seems) constitutes quite a decent amount of the product. Anyone know if it's the same bismuth they use in Bare Escentuals that is irritating for some? Has anyone had a problem with it or is it loved by all? It seems to get a good rap.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 496
Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion on Jane Iredale (I was beginning to think I'd killed this thread.) According to the info I found, they removed bismuth oxychloride from their products two years ago. Most mineral makeups do have this as an ingredient, and it tends to clog pores, irritate skin, etc. It's one reason I've avoided the minerals.

The JI site shows a sample kit that doesn't cost too much, so I think I will give it a try.
lolalonza
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 May 2009
Posts: 1
Sun May 24, 2009 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I am not new to EDS Forums, have been on them for probably close to 3 yrs - lost my login/pass - okay so I lied - I forgot them just like everything else lately Smile so had to re-register. I have read this thread on and off over the past, but it is quite a task for anyone new. My question is, and not sure if the moderators of EDS SCF are listening but wouldn't it make sense, since there are so many of us, that there shouldn't be a separate forum for those let's say 45+ (just an arbitrary number by the way). I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, because there are so many posts to this thread, if someone has already suggested this - and I apologize if it has. This way the subjects could be grouped and topics easier to find just like the three other forums on here. Just a suggestion....

_________________
51 yrs - good skin, some sagging minimal wrinkles - products used, Karin herzog 1 and H and NCN Emu Oil
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 496
Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
55+ is a misnomer as many of us are younger. But it seems pretty obvious that there is a need to address the concerns of those of us who are boomer age or thereabouts. If I weren't so new (and unaware of how this forum has evolved) I would suggest that there should be a subforum for the 40/45/50+ <pick an age> posters, as otherwise too many topics get lumped into one thread.
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Help!

I've been using the LightStim for about a month, along with Vit. C in the morning plus sunscreen/moisturizer, Copper Peptides (mildest version) every two or three evenings, alternating with Retinol, occasional acid peels, and cleansing with Clarisonic in PM and microfiber wash cloth in the AM.

My problem is that my existing brown spots seem to have gotten more prominent and I'm sprouting new ones. I don't know if it just looks that way since the rest of my face may have lightened somewhat, or if this is a reaction to my program. Needless to say I'm doing all this to get rid of brown spots. Maybe I have to be more patient.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
MaryClaire
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 205
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I know what you mean...some of my brown spots do appear to be darker right after my light treatment but they seem to fade again by the next morning...I haven't noticed any new spots but I have so many that I don't think I would notice a couple more...

I'm using Kassy's LED serum before the light, retin a before bed and vit C the next morning...

I do think some of my brown spots have gotten lighter because I've been watching a group right beneath my one eye...

Maybe it is according to the amount of sun damage or how old the spot is...the light is bringing the damage to the surface and is healing from underneath first...at least that's what I tell myself.Very Happy

Mary
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Leniny wrote:
Help!

I've been using the LightStim for about a month, along with Vit. C in the morning plus sunscreen/moisturizer, Copper Peptides (mildest version) every two or three evenings, alternating with Retinol, occasional acid peels, and cleansing with Clarisonic in PM and microfiber wash cloth in the AM.

My problem is that my existing brown spots seem to have gotten more prominent and I'm sprouting new ones. I don't know if it just looks that way since the rest of my face may have lightened somewhat, or if this is a reaction to my program. Needless to say I'm doing all this to get rid of brown spots. Maybe I have to be more patient.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?


Copper Peptides (even the very weakest), are designed to bring all the damage we can't see to the surface.. (Out with the old, in with the new!)... The LED is probably making that happen quicker.

If I were you, I would stick with all you are doing, except I would ditch the 'retinol', and replace it with an AHA product.. (Alpha Hydroxy Acid will literally break down the dead skin cells on the surface, and allow quicker regeneration of your skin. The outcome, in about 12 weeks be a clearer, softer, much more youthful skin..

Personally, I use Alpha Hydroxy Souffle, but any AHA cream of 10% or more will do. To that, I add 1/2 tsp of Lactic Acid that I purchase from http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=1180&osCsid=o0inet15vlv1pfunokolc7i063 to the jar, and use 3 nights per week.. (I alternate this with Retin-A

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all.

Kassy, why do you recommend dropping the Retinol? I've been using it because Retin A is too strong for my skin. Should I just discontinue it for the twelve week period?

Also, do you or anyone else sell some of the DIY serums that you give recipes for, or is this not allowed?

Thanks.
Leni
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Leniny wrote:
Thanks all.

Kassy, why do you recommend dropping the Retinol? I've been using it because Retin A is too strong for my skin. Should I just discontinue it for the twelve week period?

Also, do you or anyone else sell some of the DIY serums that you give recipes for, or is this not allowed?

Thanks.
Leni


It's only my humble opinion mind you, but Retin-A is the real deal, and you should do whatever you can to use it.. Even if it means starting with the lowest strength, and buffering it, it is still far superior to 'retinol' in any strength..

I must get 100 PM's a month, asking if I will sell my recipe's *already made*, and the answer is no.. 1st of all it is against forum rules, and 2nd of all I am not a cosmetic chemist + 3rd of all it is only a hobby for me. I enjoy researching actives, experimenting in my kitchen, and then sharing the recipe's that improve my skin, or work well for family + friends I have given creams or serums to.

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ok333
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I must get 100 PM's a month, asking if I will sell my recipe's *already made*, and the answer is no.. 1st of all it is against forum rules, and 2nd of all I am not a cosmetic chemist + 3rd of all it is only a hobby for me. I enjoy researching actives, experimenting in my kitchen, and then sharing the recipe's that improve my skin, or work well for family + friends I have given creams or serums to.

darn... ran out of the vit c i'd been using & have been screwing up my courage to pm you & beg Bad Grin
guess i'll just have to resign myself reading that huge thread & yet another project Shock Shock Shock

_________________
54 & counting... BACKWARDS!!!! My log: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32843
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
ok333 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
I must get 100 PM's a month, asking if I will sell my recipe's *already made*, and the answer is no.. 1st of all it is against forum rules, and 2nd of all I am not a cosmetic chemist + 3rd of all it is only a hobby for me. I enjoy researching actives, experimenting in my kitchen, and then sharing the recipe's that improve my skin, or work well for family + friends I have given creams or serums to.

darn... ran out of the vit c i'd been using & have been screwing up my courage to pm you & beg Bad Grin
guess i'll just have to resign myself reading that huge thread & yet another project Shock Shock Shock



I promise, making a simple effective C serum, is the easiest thing you will ever do... PM me anytime, and I'll walk you through it, step by step.. Wink

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Leniny
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
How do you PM someone?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Peter Thomas Roth Acne Spot and Area Treatment (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Age Erase Moisture with Mega 10 Plus for Eyes (15 ml / 0.5 floz) June Jacobs Protective Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (47 ml / 1.6 floz)