Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
mishie, I find the DPL easier to use. You don't have to move it around. It is self-timed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Great stuff to pass onto my mum, thanks everyone!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 2:58 am      Reply with quote
mishie wrote:
Would anyone know what would be easier to use the Baby Q or the DPL?

I am looking for the one that is the least complicated to operate. TIA!

Mishie

I have the BQ and it is easy to use but more time consuming than the DPL which Salli uses. I would advise you to go and read the BQ thread but it is mega long. I think both have a good return policy, so you can try them and if you are not happy send them back. The link to the BQ site is listed on the BQ thread. You can also get it on ebay. I did from the company that makes it.
Salli knows more than I do about the DPl.

Anything else ask away. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Salli and Loopy thank you both so much for your replies. I will definitely take the time and go through the posts to get a better sense of both machines!
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 4:19 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
mishie, I find the DPL easier to use. You don't have to move it around. It is self-timed.

Salli

How big is the DPL? I won't really have much of a desk/table top in my bedroom. Do you just in front of it? 1/4 to 1/2 inch is really near the panels, do you need a mask to cover your eyes? If so, will the mask intervene in its effectiveness over the eye area.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
The DPL is about 12" wide x 18" tall. I just sit in front of it or if you had a place tall enough you could stand. I do not use a mask or glasses for it, although you could if you wanted to. My guess is that if you wore a mask or glass that yes, the area covered would not receive the benefit of the light.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I think the difference between the two devices probably has more to do with personal disposition than their effectiveness.

I'd have trouble sitting still with my eyes closed in front of the DPL. I can use the BQ while watching the news or returning phone calls. Since it doesn't require allotting a special time slot, I'm way more diligent about using it than I might otherwise be.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
To all of you out there... Nothing is new when the skin ages, it ages. However, you can delay the aging process.

Example:
- exercise
- use lots of lotion to moisturize the whole body incl. face & neck.
- do not smoke
- do not drink heavily.
- drink lots of water to cleanse the body of toxins.

Believe me, it does help...
Cheers.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Interesting--I just ordered the Avene sunblock you refer to. I hadn't realized it is tinted, though. I hope it doesn't make my foundation turn a weird color. Will report once I have it in hand.

Hi again flitcraft - This SS arrived and since my friend's traveling, I thought I'd give it a try today. BTW, it's hot and humid here at the moment.

The good news is it isn't as oily as I thought it would be. In fact, it's less oily than my staple, Avene Emulsion SPF50+!

The bad news is that even though it's tinted, it's still quite white -- MUCH more so initially upon application. I was afraid I'd look like a geisha as I was spreading it on. But by the time I had all of my makeup on, it didn't look bad at all! HOWEVER, I'm very fair to begin with -- I use JI Pressed Base in Bisque (a neutral shade) if that helps at all as a reference. This SS probably wouldn't suit yellower or medium skintones. Another thing, because of the opacity and lightness of this SS's color, I needed to use a lighter touch when applying eyeshadow and blush -- they appear more intense over this product. And yet another issue is that it accentuates dry skin -- I had a couple of flakes that were easily dealt with but if a person tended towards dryness, this probably wouldn't be the best option.

I can see why my friend likes it though -- she's also fair and says she has some pigmentation issues (I never noticed). It does even out skin tone. All in all, I like it too but have no idea how it performs yet photo-protectionwise compared to the chemical SS I normally use.

I'll be interested to read of your experience with it!
lavern12

Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I found this very interesting by Hannah Sivak, PhD
Senior Scientist
Skin Actives Scientific LLC

It is a guide on ebay

Did you know that benzoyl peroxide will age your skin? Propolis is a natural antibiotic that will kill the acne bacteria whithout ruining your skin.
If your doctor had to excise a melanoma lesion, help your skin by using betulinic acid and pomegranate oil. Palmitoyl pentapeptide (Matrixyl, the active in Strivectin) and sea kelp bioferment will help with wrinkles and hesperidin methyl chalcone in Eyeliss (the active in Haloxyl) will improve the look and health of puffy eyes. Soy isoflavones will help stop the wrinkles that follow menopause.
mozaik
5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know if i can ask your opinion regarding a brand-im saying this because i see most of the interest is around BQ, or led or,,Anyway could you help me and give your opinion about MATIS? my cosmetician recommended it and gave me some samples, but maybe somebody used it... Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 5:28 am      Reply with quote
This thread has many topics & I would like to introduce another that often plagues our ladies over 55...facial spider veins.

I opened a thread in the broader forum but realized that it is more appropriate here.

Has anyone had success w/ non laser treatments such as Vit K, DPL etc? Mine are not a major problem right now but have noticed in last 6 mos. more of them are appearing. Rosehip oil helps but need something more effective.

TIA
ZenGirl

Fri May 18, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone...

I just started to read this forum...and was so relieved to hear others feel like I was feeling.

I used to look really young...about ten to fifteen years younger...without any effort. My skin was combination skin from oily when I was younger. I hit 50 (this year) and everything changed so drastically! My skin feels like sandpaper, I can't find a foundation that works for me (it looks orange or seeps into my skin and I've tried all the big names), my dark circles are so pronounced I look like a prize fighter. It felt like my face had been held up by a rubber band and someone came and snipped it! I have really pronounced nose to mouth lines (sagging) which wasn't helped with a huge weight loss.

I just got a product sample of the Naturderm line (Epidermx) and tried it. The microdermabrasion feels really great. I have been using bits and pieces of different lines (for example, I like the Chanel products). However, I feel that it's time for something more rigorous.

These are my concerns:

1. My dark circles.
2. Nose to mouth lines.
3. My receding upper lip.
4. A foundation that nurtures older skin but doesn't seep into the skin either. Powder just accentuates the lines.

Thank you, thank you thank you for starting this topic! I joined just to be able to talk to others in my age range to see what is working and isn't. Thank you!

ZenGirl
ZenGirl

Fri May 18, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Hello again...

I've read the posts...now.

Wow...what a great group of women. So knowledgeable! Thank you for sharing your secrets.

I have some questions...regarding brands.

1. Most of you mention CP's, Vitamin C serums,etc. I wish that brands were mentioned as it is like foraging through a jungle to find the right combinations of ingredients that will help. Would you mind sharing the brands you've had the most success with?

2. Emu Oil. I bought some emu oil, straight emu and found that it was really oily/thick, and did not really hydrate my skin and enlarged my pores.Does it have to be a particular kind of emu oil you use?

3. Dark Circles. Do the light machines (DPL and BQ that are mentioned) help with dark circles? Is anyone else having problems with really dark circles? Any products/techniques to suggest? Once upon a time when I used to live in progressive California, an acupuncturist gave me a tincture called "Rehmannia 8" (or 6, can't remember)and it cleared up my circles considerably. You drank the Chinese herb potion in water. Dark circles have to do with kidney function. If I could find that acupuncturist again, I would order that product from him. Meanwhile, I need to use something, a cream or something. I actually use Dermablend on my undereyes and it does nothing to conceal them! (How bad is that?) Does anyone know of a better concealer?

4. Those nose to mouth saggy lines. I don't take HRT and I've not had a cycle for about four years now. What product have you used for re-tightening saggy skin? I am considering doing facial exercises. Are microcurrent machines as effective as light machines? Anyone know?

5. Argireline. This is the main ingredient in a very famous infomercial skincare line touted by a former TV star. I also had read elsewhere that it does cause sagging eventually. What is the final verdict? (Anyone try this line and discontinue it because of that? No, I'm not wanting to buy it, but wonder if someone had adverse effects with this.)

I've lost a good bit of weight and am still losing (to get to goal). I like the thinner face I see, but it's not looking so perky.
ZsaZsa Gabor said that after 50, one should keep 20 lbs extra on her. She said something like "...I'd rather have an extra 20 lbs and a big (fill in the blank) and keep my young-looking face." Well, I don't necessarily agree---but those Gabor sisters looked good for a long, long time. (I'm sure they were not strangers to the plastic surgeon.)

Speaking of which, I saw Joan Rivers on the telly the other night. I love Joan, but she seems to have had a lot of work done. I thought she was pretty to begin with...never understood that.

Anyway, if I asked questions that were already answered, I apologize...I'm new to the boards...came here in search of answers like everyone else.

I am very thankful for the insights on this forum. Blessings to everyone!

ZenGirl
ZenGirl

Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Oops...forgot this...

What foundation do you use? I can't use just tinted moisturizer as it doesn't cover up enough and it disappears.

I am currently using two: Chanel Vitalumiere and also Guinot (French line). Neither one is ideal, but okay for now.

Any ideas?

Thank you again!
Debster1000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ZenGirl, and welcome to the boards.

I don't know if I have all the answers to your questions, but I'll try to help.
Firstly, I know exactly how you are feeling with the changes in your skin. I joined the boards when I turned 50 and kinda freaked out about what was happening to my skin. I had just lost 30 pounds and it was showing in my face with less firmness.
A lot of us use Copper Peptide serum. You can purchase this from a few websites. I buy mine from Skinbiology. There's a lot of reading on that site, but basically if you start slowly with the regular CP serum and then move up to stronger products, you will be fine.
There are many Vit. C serums out there. I personally would rather take Vit. C internally.
As for the DPL or Quasar, I don't use either - yet (maybe a Christmas present, hint, hint, to hubby).
I also like Janson Beckett ADCE, which has argireline. A few members have used this for years with no problems as far as skin sagging.
I have found that at almost 52, less is better. Janson Beckett in the morning, CP serum at night, a good moisturizer, sunscreen,microdermabrasion cloth, and I'm set. Oh yeah, I order Ultra Emu Oil from LBProcessors. Absorbs well.
I have to say, that using these products has
made a huge difference in my skin. No, I don't look like I did in my 40s, but my skin is firm, no wrinkles, just a few fine lines under my eyes. I hope this helps.
ladyA
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
saladgirl wrote:
I have to agree that the "mature" skin changes really started about 50. Prior to that, my skin was in pretty good shape, and in my mid-40's I just figured I was going to be lucky. Now at 55, I have real issues I want to tackle...at least try to before I cave in and resort of plastic surgery!

Wow! Shock

I can't believe that this thread hasn't been updated since April!

I will turn 56 this November and I have been blessed with my parent's gene's. The products I've used over time have, admittedly, have been random. Only now am I 'seriously' paying attention to what will help discourage the aging process.

Having said that, I look forward to hearing about your experiences Ladies Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ZenGirl,
Re dark circles: there's been allot of buzz about Hylexin. I haven't used it but my daughter does and she swears by it. I would also recommend giving the Chinese herbs another go.

Re foundation: there's recently been some recommendations for Faceatelier, you can order samples from their website for $1.00. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I have the same problems as you with foundation and have recently switched from MMU to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. Although, its a TM I find that it does have reasonable coverage and doesn't sink into wrinkles. As we age, foundation becomes a real problem, its so easy to look like you're wearing a mask. I'm still searching for my HG.

Re nose to mouth lines: many gals get these filled and have good results. My problem is the marionette lines (from mouth to chin). I once got those filled and it was a disaster, but apparently they are much harder to fill than the nose to mouth lines.

Re skin tone: I've become a gadget junkie and have both the Quasar and UP5 and really believe that they are both helping to tone and firm my skin. I'm not claiming any miracles though, still have all my wrinkles but I do think my jawline sagging has improved.

Re anti-aging: I'm using Copper Peptides, Vitamin C and have recently started Retin-A 0.1%. The Retin-A is really improving my skin. I also love emu oil because it doesn't clog the pores.
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Keliu have you tried Chanel's Pro Lumiere foundation? The coverage is amazing and it is so hydrating. I have tried all the foundations and I still come back to this one.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 3:14 am      Reply with quote
mishie wrote:
Keliu have you tried Chanel's Pro Lumiere foundation? The coverage is amazing and it is so hydrating. I have tried all the foundations and I still come back to this one.

Thanks for the recommendation Mishie, I will check it out. Very Happy
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
If you had one skincare line to recommend to someone over 50, which one would it be?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
If any of you out there have not seen your natural lip color in years that you had in your 20's I suggest you use Candy's Lip Service. This product ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The color of my lips are beautiful and my lips are so so so soft. I use it twice a day, no longer have to use anything else.

http://www.candessence.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I wish the Lip Treatment had helped my poor dry lips, but alas....I guess nothing works on everyone.
4sons
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
If any of you out there have not seen your natural lip color in years that you had in your 20's I suggest you use Candy's Lip Service. This product ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The color of my lips are beautiful and my lips are so so so soft. I use it twice a day, no longer have to use anything else.

FOR REAL??? It restored color to your lips?? Mine are ghostly pale now. Ugh.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
4sons wrote:
Frodo wrote:

FOR REAL??? It restored color to your lips?? Mine are ghostly pale now. Ugh.

For real! Candy's Lip Service is FAB! [Okay ... so I'm showing my age with that description! Laughing ]

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |