Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Mineral Makeup Irritates My Skin! :( Ideas?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Everyday Minerals makes me break out in a red, itchy, bumpy rash. Whyyy? Crying or Very sad

Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide

I do have rosacea. Does anyone else with rosacea have a problem with those ingredients? I've been double checking ingredient lists at home of things that did and did not bother my skin and I can't figure out any pattern! And all the research I've done says that these ingredients shouldn't cause irritation of any kind.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, there!
I also have rosacea, so obviously I need to steer clear of bismuth oxide. I was a big fan of Everyday Minerals until recently, when I also started having the itchy skin problem. It seems that use of certain acids has caused my skin to become ultra-sensitive.

After much thought and experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that it MAY be the quality of the kabuki brushes I'm using...Bare Escentuals and Linda Sy... I JUST ordered the Alima #25 brush today, in hopes that it may alleviate the problem. I'll let you know how that goes.

Also, although it's rare, some people DO experience a reaction to mica. If that's the case for you, you might want to try Cory Cosmetics. I'm too new to post the actual website address.

I don't care for the non-mica look, it's too matte for me. But, if the Alima brush solution doesn't work, that's what I'll be trying next.

HTH! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I am using a crappy brush... hmm...

My first theory was that it was the mica, but I've used products in the past that definitely didn't upset my skin that contained it, so I guess it could be over a certain % in the product or something.

Thanks for the ideas. Very Happy
I'm going to eye up other brushes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Harmonster,
I agree, it could be the specific formulation of that particular brand.

I received my Alima # 25 brush yesterday, plus some MMU samples. My skin is still quite sensitive and a bit flaky due to a recent lactic acid peel that I left on too long. Embarassed When it feels like that, trying to apply MMU causes itching, pain, and redness.

So this morning, I couldn't resist, I tried the brush and the sample, avoiding the flaky areas. First of all, the brush is definitely gentle...no irritation whatsoever! It does only give light coverage, and I didn't have time to layer. So here it is seven hours later, and I have no itching whatsoever. It really feels like I'm wearing nothing. I may just become an Alima fan! Very Happy

Tomorrow, I will try the brush with my Everyday Minerals, and let you know how it goes.

HTH,
Nadine

Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
EM did the same thing for me. It was itchy as well. When I tried to contour my face with their foundation I found I had broken out in those areas. I think they might use a higher % of some ingredients like someone else suggested.

I've tried samples of Alima recently and found it doesn't irritate my skin Smile I'm still trying to find my perfect color match from them.
Coco Panda

Wed May 23, 2007 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I get a rash from cosmetics containing mica and talc and so do my mother and sister. We're sensitive... It's crappy because almost all powders, even the translucent ones contain one or both of these ingredients.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 7:04 am      Reply with quote
I was just going to say, its your brush. Buy the softest one you can find and stay away from goat's hair.
jlcov1
5% products discount

Wed May 23, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the no goat hair brush theory. I bought the jane iredale "the handi" brush which is made of goats hair. Everytime I use it it makes my skin itch,sore and red.I now use the alima #25 which is lovely and soft on my skin and no irritation. Infact I have 2 one to wash and one to wear( so to speak) Laughing
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of bad reviews on EM.. that's why I never even bother to try it. Some people on EDS breakout from EM for some reason.. Maybe you should just try other ones..

I've tried Sheer Cover, Bare Minerals, Alima, Lumiere, Mad Minerals, Laura Mercier mineral foundation, and SunCat. My HG is SunCat.. second favorite is Laura Mercier. I broke out from SC, BE, and Lumiere. Alima didn't really break me out but it aggravated my blemishes.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried them all too, but I can say that BE is probably the WORST. I say, where nothing and your skin will not be irrated,

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
What about wearing a primer under your MMU? Has anyone else tried that and can comment? I haven't tried it myself, but it might help your skin from getting irritated from the MMU.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
parakiss wrote:
EM did the same thing for me. It was itchy as well. When I tried to contour my face with their foundation I found I had broken out in those areas. I think they might use a higher % of some ingredients like someone else suggested.

I had a very similar reaction, and I'm thinking that the titanium dioxide may be the culprit, since I know if I wear a sunscreen with too much of it I break out like crazy... itchy also. Sad!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I think for now I'm eyeing up some differet MMU samples to try with my new brush.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |