Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Using sebum/oil in pores to activate BHA
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
... or other fat-soluble exfoliants.
Pardon me if I am reinventing a common wheen here, but I am not sure if something like this unless it's the way aspirin masks work.

I am envisioning something applied to a face that has not had oil applied to it, to be left on so that it is targeting the pores specifically and not doing much exfoliation on the rest of the skin -- a mask, or a serum with no oils, or a brush-on powder -- anything that would be lacking the oil that would enable the BHA to do more exfoliation except where the face itself is providing the oil.

Is this doable as a leave-on treatment? Or at all? I've seen products with salicylic acid but they usually have oils in them already.

Thanks.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I never add any carrier oil or EO to my asprin masks and they work just fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
It's about freaking time I tried one of those. Thanks for the nudge, Wild Cat. I just reviewed autumn's recipe.

If anyone else has thoughts on incorporating this strategy into a leave on gel or serum, please chime in. I'm wondering if it would be as simple as mixing some salicylic acid into aloe vera gel...?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I still use it as a mask. Just I leave it on me for very very long time...like an hour or more...I just do other things around the house, and I do it when my SO isn't home. Laughing
Btw, my skin is not at all sensitive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Actually, I still use it as a mask. Just I leave it on me for very very long time...like an hour or more...I just do other things around the house, and I do it when my SO isn't home. Laughing
Btw, my skin is not at all sensitive.

I thought BHAs stop "doing their thing" after about 30 min therefore it becomes ineffectual to leave them on the skin for 1 hour?

Confused

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi amnis,

You're correct in terms of salicylic acid. According to the Biochemistry of Beauty [gee I miss those boards! Sad ] even when mixed with alcohol, salicylic acid only penetrates down a very few layers ... and then stops.

The whole idea behind SA peels, from what I understand, was that it was these very few top layers of skin that one wanted to remove ... Very Happy

That said, I use SA at 2% in a base cream. The initial benefit of the SA would be for the short time after applying it ... but there are lots and lots of SA products on the market that you leave on. So while it may only be actively working for a few minutes ... it doesn't hurt to leave it on ... Very Happy

Now ... just how that relates to the aspirin mask I don't know. Confused ASA is, obviously, a related product to SA ... but whether or not it works precisely the same I don't know. Confused

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Mary, I received your Refining & Rich & Refining creams just today!!!

As a person of ruddiness (possibble rosacea) and large clogged pores/orangepeel skin, I am looking for a strategy for targeting pores while leaving the rest of the skin alone so as not to redden or irritate it -- I'm not after exfoliation of all of the skin, just pores. That's why I was thinking of things that would not have oils -- so that product sitting on the skin would do little to it, while product sitting on a pore would actually get some BHA action. My understanding of how BHA works may not be quite right, but this was my thinking, based on BHA being fat-soluble, and AHA being water soluble.

Aspiring mask definitely seems like one thing to try -- perhaps having used a microexfoliation cloth half a day earlier.

I will definitely try out the two salicylic acid cremes I got from you and see what they do for me. Smile
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
BHA does most of it's exfoliating in the first 30 minutes, if you leave it on, it will continue to work all day - it retains it's antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and about 15% of it's exfoliating power even once the pH rises to 5.5 (normal skin). But as mentioned - that is BHA, not ASA - and while similar, they definitely are NOT the same thing. The pH plays a very large part in the efficacy of the BHA, too. If the pH isn't in the right range, you can apply BHA all you want & it won't do a thing for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Well, that does it! I'm just going to have to order some real SA. (If I can EVER get around to finalizing my long list of ingredients on my "to order" list...). Maybe its time for me to evolve from aspirin masks....

Thanks guys. Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |