Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
is paula's choice BHA really worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
my skin's gettin worse! it was ok but now im getting a million blackheads, clogged pores and red marks on my entire face!
maybe its the psf vit-c serum, decleor prolagene, dermalogica microfoliant- i dont know which but im gonna stop with the vit-c and decleor cos they're the two which seems to be making my face a tad bit oily
i've always wanted to buy paula's choice 2% BHA but cos the postage cost has really put me off- its nearly the same as the price of the product!!! Shock
but im soooo desperate right now...
thanks for ur help! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Many years ago, I've used her BHA and I was very happy with it, BUT she encourages purchasing products that is more cost effective and I found it cost me about the same amount as if I were to go to the drug store and by other one of her recommendations.

As for the blackheads, BHA would help loosen the blackheads so that they come out.

I am not familiar with the brand of vitamin C that you are using. Vivier and Cellex-C should not cause blackheads.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I had a very bad reaction to PSF Vit C, so much so that it has turned me off Vit C serums forever. I use Dermalogica Microfoliant and it's fine, but I haven't tried the Decleor. If PC shipping is too expensive for you, why don't you try another BHA product from EDS? I'm using Jan Marini Bioclear (BHA and AHA). So far it's been the answer to all my skin woes (clogged pores, hormonal acne, scars, uneven skin tone).
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
I had a very bad reaction to PSF Vit C, so much so that it has turned me off Vit C serums forever. I use Dermalogica Microfoliant and it's fine, but I haven't tried the Decleor. If PC shipping is too expensive for you, why don't you try another BHA product from EDS? I'm using Jan Marini Bioclear (BHA and AHA). So far it's been the answer to all my skin woes (clogged pores, hormonal acne, scars, uneven skin tone).

EDS doesnt ship jan marini to the UK Sad
and to buy it in the UK its about 36GBP = 72USD and im trying to save up! too many credit card bills to pay off

Skincare: i do have a sample of vivier but im so scared of using it, cos i dont want to worsen my skin right now! thing is her products are kinda at a reasonable cost but the postage is so shocking!!! its like 9GBP so about 18USD but her BHA is only 11GBP = 22USD Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
dollbird wrote:

and to buy it in the UK its about 36GBP = 72USD and im trying to save up! too many credit card bills to pay off

Skincare: i do have a sample of vivier but im so scared of using it, cos i dont want to worsen my skin right now! thing is her products are kinda at a reasonable cost but the postage is so shocking!!! its like 9GBP so about 18USD but her BHA is only 11GBP = 22USD Shock

Can you share with us what you are using? Maybe you can place your order and have it shipped to me? Then I will forward it to you?

Let your skin calm down if needed, but please share with us what you are using so all EDS members can assess your situation. Also, share with us your climate conditions.

As for the dollar amount. I am not familiar with the breakdown of currency.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
yeahyeah wrote:
dollbird wrote:

Can you share with us what you are using? Maybe you can place your order and have it shipped to me? Then I will forward it to you?

Let your skin calm down if needed, but please share with us what you are using so all EDS members can assess your situation. Also, share with us your climate conditions.

As for the dollar amount. I am not familiar with the breakdown of currency.

hmm, im using quite a few thigs at the moment:
AM
-im using up this cleanser called exposedwww.exposedskincare.com but will gonna use DDF blemish foaming cleanser once i place a order with EDS next month or so
-DHCC or dermalogica microfoliant
-DDF glycolic exfoliating gel (i did substitute this for decleor prolagene to get rid of my acne scars but have stopped now)
-dermalogica active moist

PM
-same cleanser then DHCC or just DDF acne scrub
-PSF vit-c 20% serum but not anymore so now back to DDF glycolic gel
-active moist

- once a week i use PSF pumpkin peel, juice beauty apple peel
- aspirin mask twice a week
- PSF acne mud mask twice a week

my skin WAS nice and smooth a year ago but have experienced some real bad breakouts mainly on my forehead and nose now its spreading to my cheeks and mouth area so i have a lot of scars Mad i do get a few bad cystic acnes that time of the month too
i live in the UK and its not exactly hot and sunny, i never break a sweat when im out and about so i dont think the weather/climate has much to do with my bad skin!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Maybe you can place your order and have it shipped to me? Then I will forward it to you?

thank you for the kind gesture Skincare, i'll keep that in mind and when i have no other way to clear up my skin then maybe i can PM you with shipping out the products to you?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be a bit critical. Vitamin C should be during the day. Did I miss something? No sunblock? what is Active Moist for? A toner? I usually skip that.
Maybe, use more of a gentle cleanser in the morning? So that you don't over dry your skin and make your skin release more oil?

I love all the other stuff that you are using.

Yes, PM me in advance and we can chat about it. Smile I like to return what other members have done for me.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Skincare"]I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be a bit critical. Vitamin C should be during the day. Did I miss something? No sunblock? what is Active Moist for? A toner? I usually skip that.
Maybe, use more of a gentle cleanser in the morning? So that you don't over dry your skin and make your skin release more oil?
quote]

active moist is a moisturiser, i never use toner...dont really know whats it for.
oh i know i should use a sunscreen, i've actually bought 2 but i have to do a test patch before using new stuff and when i used la roche posay's hydraphase i kinda got this itchy feeling on my skin so i need to test it again to make sure!
i do wanna try paula's choice cleansers, read some good reviews but if i dont use a blemish fighting cleanser, it seems like im not using enough things for my acne.
im not keen on vit-c anymore...kinda scared of it now! even tho i've seen my face much worser before, i didnt have blackheads on my chin and cheeks before!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I didn't know that. I'm sorry. I use Skinceuticals UV Defense and overall it does not cause acne.
millavanilla

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
The PC 2% BHA is very soothing and anti-inflammatory. It is really gentle on the skin. I'm using the licquid version. It's consistency is like a clear toner/water.

I've actually been neglecting this for quite sometime to concentrate on Jan Marini's Bioclear which is quite drying and stings post-acne lesions but nevertheless, really helps a lot.

I've back on PC 2% BHA since the past week and what i can say that every morning, i wake up with a fresh and moist face. It does help to unclog pores but i'm not sure about the blackheads (i have really stubborn blackheads, anyway). My skin looks generally clear but a new pimple still pops up everyday. But without PC's 2% BHA..there would be more pimples.

Well, that's only a week's review. If i use this religiously for one whole month, i might gt better results.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I didnt like Paulaschoice BHA products. My skin just peeled constantly...and not easily I might add - the skin kind of went hard and was hard to peel the skin off! Didnt reduce my blackheads.

ISC Active Serum is heaps better, always helps my pores when they look like they're filling with gunk.

Also you could try a retinol, either avene's retinaldehyde or retin a. They really help with pores.

It could be the vitamin c clogging pores? There's a discussion on this ATM.

I would also get some sun protection happening Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear that.. I'm just out of my PSF vitamin C 20% but it did not cause any breakouts for me. Also.. I've been using Jan Marini Biogycolic Bioclear Lotion for about a week now and have to say it's helping my face a lot. I was loving my ISC Active Serum but so far the Bioclear Lotion is working faster so it's probably going to be an alternative for the ISC Active Serum for me, although I am going to miss the cooling factor from the menthol that ISC Active Serum was giving me.. Hehe.. I also find that pearl cream helps my blemishes a lot too. I'm using IFP moisturizing pearl cream. So far what's been keeping me clear are Epidermxll, ISC Active Serum, Jan Marini Bioclear Lotion, IFP Pearl Cream & IFP Healing Serum. Hope your skin will get better soon!
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that.. I'm just out of my PSF vitamin C 20% but it did not cause any breakouts for me. Also.. I've been using Jan Marini Biogycolic Bioclear Lotion for about a week now and have to say it's helping my face a lot.
So far what's been keeping me clear are Epidermxll, ISC Active Serum, Jan Marini Bioclear Lotion, IFP Pearl Cream & IFP Healing Serum. Hope your skin will get better soon!

i wanted PSF vit-c 20% to work on me too. the 1st day was amazing, when i woke up my skin just looked to smooth which i havent seen in years! but after that, i had...well i still have actually, blackheads and clogged pores!

but thanks everyone for their advice, i will try paula's choice BHA once its in stock! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Finding a Vit C Serum that works for you really does take a lot of trial and error. I've tried so many different brands, and some made my skin a lot worse, before I found one that was right for me.
Have you only just started using a Vit C serum? If so then maybe the 20% is too strong for you right at this moment and you maybe should try one with a much lower concentration to start with.

My skin started to get really bad a while back, blackheads, clogged pores etc and what really helped was cutting back on using too many harsh, stripping products on my face.
You're using lots of products that are stripping and drying your skin and not many that are rehydrating it. I used to use the Dermalogica Active Moist as I have oily/combo skin and thought it would be a good choice, but afterwards realised it wasn't giving the hydration my skin needed, and instead it was looking even worse. I personally feel that you're using too many exfoliating type products, especially if you're using the PSF Pumpkin Peel or Apple Peel once a week, and aspirin mask twice a week in conjunction with the other products you're using daily. I did go overboard when I first got my Juice Beauty Peel and used it twice a week but now I stick to once every 3 weeks. Then you're using the PSF Acne Mud which also is quite drying on your skin. So maybe you need to re think the types of products you're using especially if your skin is getting worse.

Very Happy I didn't really answer your question about Paula's Choice BHA there! I tried this and liked it at first but I honestly wasn't getting the results I was looking for. It's not something that I found gave immediate results, but with continued use, as mentioned it does help loosen blackheads and makes them easier to extract.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
BHA might not be for all - just my 2c. I had been using IFP BHA and I ended up with very dry skin and more breakouts. I WAS careful not to overdo it and use it only a few times per week, etc, etc. Since I've stopped this for a bit over 2 weeks now, things are better.

I use DHCC, VERY diluted ACV, Dr.H moisturizer, Clarins sunscreen.

At night, Dr. H milk, DHCC and ACV.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
You're using lots of products that are stripping and drying your skin and not many that are rehydrating it. I used to use the Dermalogica Active Moist as I have oily/combo skin and thought it would be a good choice, but afterwards realised it wasn't giving the hydration my skin needed, and instead it was looking even worse. I personally feel that you're using too many exfoliating type products, especially if you're using the PSF Pumpkin Peel or Apple Peel once a week, and aspirin mask twice a week in conjunction with the other products you're using daily. I did go overboard when I first got my Juice Beauty Peel and used it twice a week but now I stick to once every 3 weeks. Then you're using the PSF Acne Mud which also is quite drying on your skin. So maybe you need to re think the types of products you're using especially if your skin is getting worse.

Very Happy I didn't really answer your question about Paula's Choice BHA there! I tried this and liked it at first but I honestly wasn't getting the results I was looking for. It's not something that I found gave immediate results, but with continued use, as mentioned it does help loosen blackheads and makes them easier to extract.

i do realise that im using products that could dry my skin but after using psf acne mud mask and the aspirin mask, my skin feels much better. do u think its worth it if after, for example, acne mud mask to use another moisture mask?

im too thinking active moist isnt suitable for my skin but it doesnt break me out and i need a long process of searching for a good moisturiser...especially when im on a budget!

thanks for ur help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't find that Paula's Choice did anything for me (the BHA).

However, I now use I Feel Pretty BHA (5%) and love it.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I did not think PC BHA was a very effective product (for me). I know others have liked it, but it did not help clear my pores or lessen blackheads--it just made my skin irritated. I have combo skin with VERY stubborn blackheads, and KP.
I have just purchased the 2% BHA product from I feel pretty, and hope to find some success here!
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
I didn't really answer your question about Paula's Choice BHA there! I tried this and liked it at first but I honestly wasn't getting the results I was looking for. It's not something that I found gave immediate results, but with continued use, as mentioned it does help loosen blackheads and makes them easier to extract.

Yeah I would pretty much agree with this. I was expecting miracles, but it probably helps about 30-40% with my blackheads on my nose. My friend also gave me her clay mask to try (paula's choice), but i wasn't that impressed with it either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
well i guess i will have to answer the question
"is paulas choice really worth it?" with a no...iv bought it, used it and have stopped using it

it just didnt help that much..iv been using it for 2wks and didnt really see that gooda results so have switched to JM bioclear instead

maybe if i had bought the liquid then it'l be less oily but cos i wanted some moisture at night, i bought this and wow its oily! and smells of soemthing too (cant describe the scent but it wasnt pleasant)
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Her 2% BHA comes in GEL, Liquid and Lotion. I think liquid and gel would works faster than Lotion, but lotion is less drying, maybe more suitable for sensitive skin. So one have to choose the right type based on her own skin type.

I have been using the 2% lotion on my T-zone only for 5 months now. So far it does keep my blackheads in check. But if I reorder I probably would want the gel next time. I tried 1% gel sample before and recall I see the results much faster.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
i read that the gel and liquid works faster but i think im gonna give up using her products now...costly shipping charges and just ok products just isnt attractive! id much prefer to order from EDS, home-based and DIY
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I use the PC 1% BHA lotion. For the first 5 days of using it I broke out in an ugly way, and in general my skin just looked terrible, but on day 6 (and every day since) I wake up with visibly improved, more even, and CLEAR skin.

I like this. It doesn't aggravate my rosacea, but actually seems to be soothing.

I use it once a day, at night, and I do not apply anything to my face after it.

I don't see any improvement in visible pores on my nose, but everywhere else is so calm that I don't really care if it ever helps that or not! I have been using this product for about 3 weeks (and YES I'm pmsing right now with NOOO BREAKOUTS!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Fantastic product! I get the best results in the way of clear skin.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |