Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MMU wet application for FLAWLESS coverage!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Holy moly I feel as though I've stumbled upon the best kept makeup secret for MMU. I was browsing the BE Addicts forum and saw a post for wet application. You basically load up your brush with powder, spritz the brush a few times (some use normal tap water, others use mineral water/rose water/any other spritzer or setting spray) and then buff the minerals unto your skin until the brush is dry. I did this yesterday and through trial and error you learn how many spritzes are enough to dampen the brush. If the brush is too damp, it ends up looking streaky, and if it is not damp enough the brush dries fast before you can evenly distribute the minerals. Just when I thought my LM MMU couldn't look better, I'm blown away by the coverage this method gives me. It truly looks 10X better than applying it dry, because it gets rid of the powdery or ashy look of some MMU's. Those who've given up on MMU because they feel it magnifies pores should give this method a try. My makeup stays fresh longer and I get less oil breakthrough. Wearing primer or sunscreen underneath doesn't affect how this applies, and applying my LM MMU wet doesn't affect the dewiness and glow that I love...I think it actually enhances the dewiness. I will never go back to applying my minerals dry.

Here's the thread in the BE Addicts forum that contains before and after pictures. You may have to register to view it, but seeing is believing!!
http://forums.delphiforums.com/bareescentuals/messages?msg=53778.1
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying this tomorrow morning!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I tried this with Alima before quite a few times but none of them worked. Layering dry gives me more coverage than layering wet. It's supposed to give you more coverage with a damp brush but I find that you'll get more coverage if your face is damp and not the brush because the MMU will adhere to your face better that way. Applying it damp uses up more MMU I find. But it does give a more dewy look as opposed to a powdered/ashy look. But that's just my experience with it, maybe I wasn't doing it properly but I tried it quite a few times before giving up.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I should add that since wet application makes minerals go on more opaque and enhances its coverage, you should probably start off with less powder than what you would normally use. I used the same usual amount and ended up looking like death. Embarassed

Sormuimui, some members on the Delphi forum have claimed that this method doesn't work with every MMU, but from the pictures I can see it definitely works with BE and from what I've tried it works great with LM. Initially, I didn't get the same flawless coverage as the one shown in the forum, but with trial and error I've found a combo that is perfect for me (3 spritzes with my JI balance mister and the equivalent mass of the eraser at the tip of a pencil for powder). I'll try to post a before/after pic when I'm done unpacking from my move next week. Very Happy
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's true that this doesn't work for every MMU. It's just like how some MMU's apply better with a kabuki & buffing, and some apply better with a flat top brush & little or no buffing.

I use Aromaleigh & GeoGrafx MMU's - the spritzing method works great with the AL, but not with the GG.

Another method is to take your regular facial moisturizer or oil & put just enough for one application into your palm - then add a sprinkle of MMU (enough for one application). Mix with your fingertip, then apply like liquid foundation. This seems to work best for those with dry skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Dollbird - this does sound interesting! Kim at Lumiere also mentioned this technique using rose water spritz!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds like a great idea! I am definitely going to try it out this weekend. Right now I'm using Alima, but I'm off to Holts tomorrow and am hoping to get some of the LM <keeping my fingers and toes crossed!>. Thanks for the tip!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...I always thought the spray after application makes everything look dewy and not cakey...I will have to try this with my Lumiere.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know whether this method works with UGloGirl?

After applying the MMU wet, do you then add a layer of finishing powder, rose dust etc and spritz again?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

After applying the MMU wet, do you then add a layer of finishing powder, rose dust etc and spritz again?

I can't help with the UGloGirl question, sorry.

As for the other - YMMV. The finish I get when I apply my MMU by spritzing my brush is almost an air-brushed look - so it really doesn't need anything else. But I think depending upon the MMU you use, and your skin, that may vary.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to try it with my LM once I get my hands on it when they restock at Holt's. I think I've tried it with my Lumiere FF a few times too but honestly the Lumiere doesn't really give me a powdery look and provides full coverage already so I never felt the need for the spritz and didn't see a difference when I did spritz. I guess got to trial and error. But LM is quite different - I like using LM with my Smashbox more than my Alima brush, probably because LM was made more for bronzer-like brushes. So I'll try it again once I get LM.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:

With the wet application I find no need for a finishing powder since it significantly cuts down on oil breakthrough. Then again, it is up to your own preference about the finish. Also like Kim said, I don't have the need to spritz again as once the minerals are applied until the brush is dry, the finish is so polished there's not much else I can do to further 'set' my makeup.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:15 am      Reply with quote
WOW! That is a fantastic technique! It really works beautifully. i just tried it with some MAdMinerals, and got a flawless result, really smooth.

Very pleased you shared it, dollbird, thankyou very much.
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:27 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:

I use Aromaleigh & GeoGrafx MMU's - the spritzing method works great with the AL, but not with the GG.

Hi Kim

I just received my AL yesterday -- I ordered a full size Glissade b/c I read that sometimes this works best for people who are sensitive to MMUs, (BE breaks me out) and about 5 samples of the Voile.

Are these best applied with the kabuki? I didn't realize that there might be a difference.

Thanks!
-Cathy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I had forgotten all about this technique, dollbird. Thanks for the reminder - I will be trying it out with my LM MMU today.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I've tried using a spritzed flocked sponge before for flawless finish since I heard that was supposed to be great but either I was doing it wrong or it just didn't work for me. I just tried spritzing my flat-top brush w/ Mary's Silken Pearl mist and using Lumiere's luminesse/VV combo mmu this morning and it looks so terrific! Smile
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Wow! What a great idea. I'll have to try this. This just might work great for me. I have a fair amount of "peach fuzz", and have to be very careful not to look too powdery (as that makes my face look very hairy Shock ). This technique just may do the trick Wink .
Thanks! R.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for posting this dollbird. I tried it this morning but it didn't work out too well for me. I have the Laura Mercier blending brush and wetting it just ended up with a ton of hairs on my face - yuck! Does anybody have their LM brush shed like a dog BTW? I have the feeling that the wet application works better with a flat brush with the bristles not too packed in together - perhaps like the JI one that Scally used in the video? What do you guys think? I think that LM also has one and Mac has a skunk-like one that just looks gorgeous. Any recommendations which one to go for??

I tired the wet application method for my neutral eyeshadow and that worked beautifully. I have the MAC 224 tapered blending brush.
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I have the JI flat-top brush which I used this morning for this method and it word wonderfully.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this dollbird. I tried it this morning but it didn't work out too well for me. I have the Laura Mercier blending brush and wetting it just ended up with a ton of hairs on my face - yuck! Does anybody have their LM brush shed like a dog BTW? I have the feeling that the wet application works better with a flat brush with the bristles not too packed in together - perhaps like the JI one that Scally used in the video? What do you guys think? I think that LM also has one and Mac has a skunk-like one that just looks gorgeous. Any recommendations which one to go for??

I tired the wet application method for my neutral eyeshadow and that worked beautifully. I have the MAC 224 tapered blending brush.

Sorry it didn't work out as expected, Agent OO-CAT. I use LM's blending brush too, and do experience some shedding, but nothing unbearable. Her brush could be made better, but using a kabuki before this (MAC 182), I much prefer the size and shape of the LM brush because it offers me more maneuverability. I'm on the lookout for a similar brush though, because I have a feeling the LM one is not going to last me very long. Confused I've also gone crazy with this wet method, even trying it with blush. My NARS powder blush went on like a cream blush...so pretty! Hope you find the right brush soon!
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi Kim

I just received my AL yesterday -- I ordered a full size Glissade b/c I read that sometimes this works best for people who are sensitive to MMUs, (BE breaks me out) and about 5 samples of the Voile.

Are these best applied with the kabuki? I didn't realize that there might be a difference.

Thanks!
-Cathy

For me, AL looks good applied with a kabuki or a flat-top brush.

I've been using MMU for many years & have tried many different brands & application methods. The one thing I've learned is that the quality of the brush is very important to how the MMU looks on your face. And I'm not necessarily referring to price - because there are some decent inexpensively priced brushes out there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am      Reply with quote
dollbird, do you buff and buff? I'm trying to get more coverage.

OOhhh, NARS blusher looking creamy. What did you use? I'm using the LM blending brush these days in a C - starting at the temple and ending on the apple of the cheeks. I like it this way as it doesn't look too done up. I think you've hit a gold mine here with the damp stuff. I'm going to try the damp blush tomorrow. The eyesahdow applied slightly damp was just wonderful.

The JI flat top brush is starting to look better and better....

LM also has this finishing brush:
http://www.lauramercier.com/products/tools/brushes/face/finishing_brush/

Anybody has this?
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
The eyesahdow applied slightly damp was just wonderful.

I've been foiling my shadows for years - I love the color I get & the AL shadows stay on all day with this method.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Oh, this has a name??! Foiling?

This is like Moliere's bourgeois who found out he spoke prose! Laughing
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
LOL - yes, for eyeshadows, it's called foiling. And not only can you use it on your lids, but you can also make a slightly thicker paste & line your eyes with it. Wink

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |