Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



DIY Tooth Whitening - CareKate's Recipe

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
havana8
Moderator

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Sep 2005
Posts: 3249
Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ladyA wrote:
I still haven't been able to find GlyOxide in Cdn pharmacies yet.
There's a possibility that you guys have an equivilent product up there, but it has a different brand name. The actual purpose of GLy Oxide is as an "oral antiseptic cleanser" and/or "brushing aid."

Next time you're at the drugstore or supermarket, mosey down the toothpaste/mouthwash aisle and see if there's any product that is labled as a oral antiseptic cleanser or brushing aid. If you find something that looks likely, take a look at the ingredient label and see if it contains "10% carbamide peroxide," which is the primary active ingredient in Gly Oxide.

Another thought: do you guys have any branches of the American-based pharmacy chains like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid up there? Or maybe Walmart or Target? If you do, you might have more luck finding it at one of the stores.

Again, I'm happy to make a CP (custom purchase) for anyone outside the US that wants to try it -- just PM me.

One more thing: if you can give me the names of some Canadian pharmacy chains, I'll take a look at there websites and see if I can find a Gly Oxide clone for you. When I tried to look for Cdn drugstore websites earilier, the only ones that came up on my search was one's that actually sell prescription meds online for Americans that can't afford to buy there meds here because they don't have health insurance coverage (and because American pharmaceutical companies charge the earth for the meds sold here Confused )....


Here are the few that I can think of right now, Carrie....

Drugstores: London Drugs, Shoppers Drugmart, Pharmasave, Rexall Drug Store, Peoples Drugmart

Supermarkets: Save-On-Foods, Safeway, Thrifty's, Choices, Stongs, SuperValu, Real Canadian SuperStore, Costco

Smile
mishi
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to say thanks Carekate for posting the original DIY recipe. After reading the huge DIY thread I got some Ear Care drops (I'm in Australia) and have used them three times so far and my teeth have whitened already- not dramatically, but enough so I can tell the difference. Amazing! I'm going on holidays next week and I just know my friends are going to give me all sorts of weird looks when I tote all my homemade lotions and potions into the bathroom, not to mention start applying ear drops to my toothbrush... Razz

_________________
27, normal skin with the odd pimple, scars easily, loves OCM and MMU
ladyA
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 78
Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ladyA wrote:
I still haven't been able to find GlyOxide in Cdn pharmacies yet.
There's a possibility that you guys have an equivilent product up there, but it has a different brand name. The actual purpose of GLy Oxide is as an "oral antiseptic cleanser" and/or "brushing aid."

Next time you're at the drugstore or supermarket, mosey down the toothpaste/mouthwash aisle and see if there's any product that is labled as a oral antiseptic cleanser or brushing aid. If you find something that looks likely, take a look at the ingredient label and see if it contains "10% carbamide peroxide," which is the primary active ingredient in Gly Oxide.

Another thought: do you guys have any branches of the American-based pharmacy chains like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid up there? Or maybe Walmart or Target? If you do, you might have more luck finding it at one of the stores.

Again, I'm happy to make a CP (custom purchase) for anyone outside the US that wants to try it -- just PM me.

One more thing: if you can give me the names of some Canadian pharmacy chains, I'll take a look at there websites and see if I can find a Gly Oxide clone for you. When I tried to look for Cdn drugstore websites earilier, the only ones that came up on my search was one's that actually sell prescription meds online for Americans that can't afford to buy there meds here because they don't have health insurance coverage (and because American pharmaceutical companies charge the earth for the meds sold here Confused )....


If you would be so kind:
Shoppers Drug Mart
London Drugs
Pharmasave (sp?)
Pharmacare

Thanks!!

_________________
50's/Normal skin/oily t-zone/ lines/wrinkles/medium skin tone/ tans easily
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
ladyA wrote:
carekate wrote:
ladyA wrote:
I still haven't been able to find GlyOxide in Cdn pharmacies yet.
There's a possibility that you guys have an equivilent product up there, but it has a different brand name. The actual purpose of GLy Oxide is as an "oral antiseptic cleanser" and/or "brushing aid."

Next time you're at the drugstore or supermarket, mosey down the toothpaste/mouthwash aisle and see if there's any product that is labled as a oral antiseptic cleanser or brushing aid. If you find something that looks likely, take a look at the ingredient label and see if it contains "10% carbamide peroxide," which is the primary active ingredient in Gly Oxide.

Another thought: do you guys have any branches of the American-based pharmacy chains like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid up there? Or maybe Walmart or Target? If you do, you might have more luck finding it at one of the stores.

Again, I'm happy to make a CP (custom purchase) for anyone outside the US that wants to try it -- just PM me.

One more thing: if you can give me the names of some Canadian pharmacy chains, I'll take a look at there websites and see if I can find a Gly Oxide clone for you. When I tried to look for Cdn drugstore websites earilier, the only ones that came up on my search was one's that actually sell prescription meds online for Americans that can't afford to buy there meds here because they don't have health insurance coverage (and because American pharmaceutical companies charge the earth for the meds sold here Confused )....


If you would be so kind:
Shoppers Drug Mart
London Drugs
Pharmasave (sp?)
Pharmacare

Thanks!!


Okay, I *think* this might be the Canadian equivilent of Gly Oxide, but you'll need to read the label just to be sure: http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/beauty.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Beauty;Beauty;Oral%20Care;Mouthwash;Colgate%20Peroxyl%20Mouthrinse&CS_Category=Mouthwash&ProductTab=1&CS_RootCategory=Beauty&CS_ProductID=8026783&CS_Catalog=Beauty


I checked Colgate's official website and based on their product description, I'm pretty sure this is a Carbamide Peroxide rinse analogous to Gly Oxide: http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Products/OverTheCounter/ColgatePeroxyl.cvsp If your drugstore has these products in stock, you probably want to get the one called Colgate Peroxyl Spot Treatment Gel because that would be easier to put on your toothbrush along with your toothpaste when you brush and/or be easier to use in one of those cheap "boil & bite" mouth trays if you want quicker results.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you check the label of the Colgate Peroxyl stuff and the ingredients don't include carbamide peroxide, let me know and I'll go back and search again for a like candidate.

Good luck!

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
ladyA
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 78
Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ladyA wrote:
carekate wrote:
ladyA wrote:
I still haven't been able to find GlyOxide in Cdn pharmacies yet.
There's a possibility that you guys have an equivilent product up there, but it has a different brand name. The actual purpose of GLy Oxide is as an "oral antiseptic cleanser" and/or "brushing aid."

Next time you're at the drugstore or supermarket, mosey down the toothpaste/mouthwash aisle and see if there's any product that is labled as a oral antiseptic cleanser or brushing aid. If you find something that looks likely, take a look at the ingredient label and see if it contains "10% carbamide peroxide," which is the primary active ingredient in Gly Oxide.

Another thought: do you guys have any branches of the American-based pharmacy chains like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid up there? Or maybe Walmart or Target? If you do, you might have more luck finding it at one of the stores.

Again, I'm happy to make a CP (custom purchase) for anyone outside the US that wants to try it -- just PM me.

One more thing: if you can give me the names of some Canadian pharmacy chains, I'll take a look at there websites and see if I can find a Gly Oxide clone for you. When I tried to look for Cdn drugstore websites earilier, the only ones that came up on my search was one's that actually sell prescription meds online for Americans that can't afford to buy there meds here because they don't have health insurance coverage (and because American pharmaceutical companies charge the earth for the meds sold here Confused )....


If you would be so kind:
Shoppers Drug Mart
London Drugs
Pharmasave (sp?)
Pharmacare

Thanks!!


Okay, I *think* this might be the Canadian equivilent of Gly Oxide, but you'll need to read the label just to be sure: http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/beauty.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Beauty;Beauty;Oral%20Care;Mouthwash;Colgate%20Peroxyl%20Mouthrinse&CS_Category=Mouthwash&ProductTab=1&CS_RootCategory=Beauty&CS_ProductID=8026783&CS_Catalog=Beauty


I checked Colgate's official website and based on their product description, I'm pretty sure this is a Carbamide Peroxide rinse analogous to Gly Oxide: http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Products/OverTheCounter/ColgatePeroxyl.cvsp If your drugstore has these products in stock, you probably want to get the one called Colgate Peroxyl Spot Treatment Gel because that would be easier to put on your toothbrush along with your toothpaste when you brush and/or be easier to use in one of those cheap "boil & bite" mouth trays if you want quicker results.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you check the label of the Colgate Peroxyl stuff and the ingredients don't include carbamide peroxide, let me know and I'll go back and search again for a like candidate.

Good luck!


Thank you soo much Carekate for looking into that for me!
I've been hobbling around on crutches for the past week, so don't get around well. Now I know what I'm looking for Smile

_________________
50's/Normal skin/oily t-zone/ lines/wrinkles/medium skin tone/ tans easily
ladyA
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 78
Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
++on MUA

I'd like to know where to buy this product (in Canada.)

Many thanks Very Happy

_________________
50's/Normal skin/oily t-zone/ lines/wrinkles/medium skin tone/ tans easily
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 390
Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
anyone know an equivalent product in Australia?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I would start checking labels in your local drugstore of oral care products and ear drops! You are looking for carbimide peroxide 6.5% to 10%. This is what causes the whitening to occur.

Crazy thing is I'm a dental hygienist and have access to a lot of different bleaching products. I like the convenience of putting these on a toothbrush and I let it "sit" on my teeth while I am in front of my dpl unit. Multi-tasking! They work - it's great.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I would start checking labels in your local drugstore of oral care products and ear drops! You are looking for carbimide peroxide 6.5% to 10%. This is what causes the whitening to occur.
Excellent advice, and that's EXACTLY what I would do if I couldn't find the brand name Gly Oxide or Auro ear drop products in my country.

If you look at one of my responses couple of posts up, you'll find the name of a product that I think might be the equivilent product in Canada and if one of our Aussies would give me the name of a few online pharmacy websites in your country, I'll see if I can find the equivilent product for you Down Under.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
cawl
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 119
Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I am going to give the Colgate gel a try and post my results, thanks for this info Carekate.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 1119
Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Are these safe for EVERYDAY use? Or is the teeth withening an occasional process? I've used the glyoxide on and off for a few months and like what it does but worry about affecting the structural integrity of my teeth. Can anybody please coment on this? I know that the Gosmile stuff can be used everyday, so I'm hopeful these aren't affecting tooth integrity. Thanks in advance for getting back to me.

Cat
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I've been using it everyday for about 2 years (when I did I first start blabbing about it on the forum? that's when I started the daily use...) and my teeth are fine, according to my dentist and hygeinest (how the heck do you spell that?? it doesn't look right).

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 1119
Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Good to know Carekate!!! Laughing Thanks.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding the bleaching - If you are using these products and brushing them on and letting them sit on your teeth for 10 minutes I do not see any harm. There is actually a school of thought that believes the Peroxide helps with gingivitis and decreasing plaque biofilm.

Putting the bleach in specific tooth-molded trays and using them daily for an hour or more -is very likely to cause sensitivity (common with bleaching procedures anyway). And is not something I would recommend.

I teach Preventive dentistry - that's how I know. Smile

(Carekate - Can you please let us know what your procedure has been these last two years)....
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 261
Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I bought the Gly Oxide today and used it for 20 min in my dental trays. It tastes exactly like the bleaching stuff from my dentist sells, only not as strong. That stuff costs $50 for a couple of uses, and it's so strong it sometimes gives me a migraine. I think I may start using this several times a week for 15 minutes at a time and see what the results are.
Thank you all. I'm learning tons from this forum.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
(Carekate - Can you please let us know what your procedure has been these last two years)....
When I first started using it, I'd apply it with a Qtip and keep it on my teeth for as long as I could without spitting, which was usually only a couple minutes. I did that for about 2 weeks, and then since that initial whitening, I just put a couple drops on my toothbrush along with my toothpaste every morning when I brush my teeth and I just make sure I brush for at least 2 minutes (isn't that what you're supposed to do, anyway?!). Not only does this "maintanence routine" help maintain the whiteness, but the peroxide helps my mouth feel really clean afterwards! In fact, when I brush at night -- even though I'm brushing for the same amount of time -- my mouth doesn't feel as clean as it does when I use the Gly Oxide in the mornings.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Dabawenya62
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 176
Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
TO CAREKATE:

What brand did u buy the GlyOxide and from what store... I'm here in Northern California. Thanks.

_________________
www.worldmarktheclub.com
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Dabawenya62 wrote:
TO CAREKATE:

What brand did u buy the GlyOxide and from what store... I'm here in Northern California. Thanks.
Gly Oxide *is* the actual brand name, although CVS pharmacy makes a "generic" version that is about half the price of actual Gly Oxide and that's the one I use now -- it's right next to the real Gly Oxide on the shelf.

You'll find Gly Oxide in the toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash aisle at the supermarket or drugstore. It comes in a thin rectangler box that stands about 6-8 inches high and the box says "Gly Oxide Oral Cleanser." The real stuff costs around $12.99 per box, but if you decide to get the CVS version, it's about $6.99 per box.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Dabawenya62
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 176
Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Dabawenya62 wrote:
TO CAREKATE:

What brand did u buy the GlyOxide and from what store... I'm here in Northern California. Thanks.
Gly Oxide *is* the actual brand name, although CVS pharmacy makes a "generic" version that is about half the price of actual Gly Oxide and that's the one I use now -- it's right next to the real Gly Oxide on the shelf.

You'll find Gly Oxide in the toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash aisle at the supermarket or drugstore. It comes in a thin rectangler box that stands about 6-8 inches high and the box says "Gly Oxide Oral Cleanser." The real stuff costs around $12.99 per box, but if you decide to get the CVS version, it's about $6.99 per box.


Thank you... will check Longs/Walgrens in our neighborhood.. I'm sure they'll both have their own generic brand name..

_________________
www.worldmarktheclub.com
GirlOnline
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Posts: 12
Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of information...

This is about using ear drops? ...to brush your teeth? ...for whitening?

Embarassed
soccermominsd
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 98
Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I use the E.R.O. Ear wax removal gel for teeth whitening (same as the other wax removal gel CareKate uses-but minus alcohol).

The E.R.O. works fantastic. I use it with bleaching trays. I actually paint on the gel because I have gum problems and sometimes whiteners can aggravate it. Anyway, you use it just like you would a typical whitening gel. You can also use it whilst brushing you teeth but you will see a real difference if you use it in the bleaching trays.

_________________
*45* blonde & fair; fighting the lines that keep sneakin' up on me. Just starting Vivite Line & looking for a good C serum
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 1303
Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the gly oxide for 2 days...2x a day. I brush my teeth with it. I have seen a difference. My teeth do look a little brighter.
havana8
Moderator

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Sep 2005
Posts: 3249
Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
ladyA wrote:
++on MUA

I'd like to know where to buy this product (in Canada.)

Many thanks Very Happy


Murine Earwax Drops
http://www.canadadrugs.com/otc/product/Murine%20Earwax%20Drops/2488/?
http://www.canadapharmacy.com/products/murine-ear-wax-removal-system.cfm

Rugby Earwax Treatment Drops
Murine Earwax Drops
Debrox Ear Wax Removal Kit
SunMark Ear Wax Removal Kit (generic)
http://www.shopinprivate.com/eatrdr.html

Rite Aid Ear Wax Removal System
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=150907&catid=50360&aid=335933&aparam=rite_aid_ear_wax_removal

Others to look for with 6.5% Carbamide Peroxide (as listed on prescriptiondrug-info.com):
Auro Ear Drops
Aurocaine
Bausch & Lomb Earwax Removal System
Cankaid Mouth Treatment
Debrox Otic
E.R.O. Drops
Gly-Oxide Oral
Mollifene Otic Solution
Orajel Perioseptic
Proxigel
http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/Drugs/Murine_Ear_Drops.asp
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 390
Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey for those in Oz, I have just found and purchased EarClear containing carbamide peroxide from the chemist.
Havent used it yet.
katebargold
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 231
Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Juliemarie I'm in OZ to what chemist chain did you get it from? Thanks
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Weleda Plant Gel Toothpaste (75 ml / 2.5 floz) True Cosmetics Essential Radiance Skin Polish (100 ml / 3.39 floz) Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)