Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Gadgets: FaceMate, Baby Quasar and DPL are they worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Facemate:
First of all does anyone here use a FaceMate? I was interested in this a year ago because I heard it helped pushed actives into your skin. Any opinions?

Baby Q -
Who has tried it seen results and not seen? If you feel comfortable please give your age and what kind of skin you have.

Who has tried it and liked it but found it too time consuming and exchanged for the larger SP? Was it worth it?

DPL:
What do you think?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I have the Facemate and LOVE it - absolutely worth every penny I spent on it.

Had the Baby Q and upgraded to the Quasar SP - another great decision. While I didn't find the BQ too time consuming, I opted for the bigger model to save time and get more power (got it on the special). It helps keep my pigmentation at bay and evens out my skin tone to a creamy texture among other things (I adore it). I have no experience with DPL, though.

I'm 41, oily, large pores prone to congestion; very reactive to certain ingredients.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:59 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl
Would you mind telling me what the Quasar improves and what the FaceMate improves on you?

So you have to upgrade that within a certain amount of time? Or did you just sell your Baby?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I have the Baby Q and the UP5 (which is a little like the Facemate). I use the Baby Q every second night which can be a little time consuming but I use it whilst watching TV so its just some relaxing "me" time. I use the UP5 every morning in all four modes - cleansing, eye zone, facial and lifting.

First of all, it is my opinion that no skin gadget is going to miraculously improve the condition of the skin after a few uses, especially devices that are made for home use. It takes time to build new collagen and undo years of abuse (namely sun-baking, smoking and drinking - all the fun stuff!) I know that a few gals on this forum returned their BQ's because they weren't seeing results but I think you have to be prepared to give it some time. Last year I spent thousands of dollars on a Thermage treatment and was told that I would not see the results for a full six months. Now that's from a machine that is supposed to be technologically advanced and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was, in my opinion, a total waste of money.

However, I must say that I am enjoying using my skin "toys" - they really make me feel that I am doing something proactive for my skin and whilst they were expensive, at least I'm not wasting money on overly priced creams and potions. I've only been using the UP5 for a relatively short time but I do believe that I'm seeing some lifting - nothing dramatic, but I think I have a "fresher" look. Also, the texture of my skin is definitely improving, my pores are much less visible.

I'm 57 so, of course, my skin is showing signs of aging - wrinkles and sagging. But I am extremely happy with both the BQ and UP5 and would recommend them to everyone. However, as I said earlier, I think you have to be prepared to stick with it for the long haul. Oh, BTW, if I could afford it, I would upgrade to the SP.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
scalawaggirl
Would you mind telling me what the Quasar improves and what the FaceMate improves on you?

So you have to upgrade that within a certain amount of time? Or did you just sell your Baby?

There was an upgrade special for the Baby Q that I used but it is over now, I'm certain. I traded my BQ in on the Quasar SP. As for what these do:

Quasar SP - improves skin tone (creamy texture), evens out and diminishes redness, helps with reducing pores/breakouts and rebuilds collagen

Facemate - cleans out pores, rebuilds collagen, lifts and plumps

I echo everything Keliu said, as well, I'd recommend these devices to everyone (am also considering purchasing the UP5 when I go to the UK in July to bring back home). You do have to commit to using them but I love my beauty rituals and have no problem doing so. There is no quick fix but I have before and after pics that in conjunction with CPs and exfoliants, I turned my skin around. I am totally convinced of their worth and very happy we have the options.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I have the Baby Q and the UP5 (which is a little like the Facemate). I use the Baby Q every second night which can be a little time consuming but I use it whilst watching TV so its just some relaxing "me" time. I use the UP5 every morning in all four modes - cleansing, eye zone, facial and lifting..

Hi Keliu-

I want firming, lifting and refining. Do you think I can see that with just the FaceMate or do you think I will be dissapointed and should hold out and save for Quasar? I have great skin and tone but I am almost 51 so there is stuff happening and should probably go for a lift in the next 5 years to look my best. I don't have wrinkles but I am flattening out and have some jowling and slight double chin, laxity of brows and coarser skin. I don't drink or smoke and don't get much sun now but of course did when younger as we all did because we thought frying with baby oil was safe.

How much time do you spend with your Face Mate? I know this takes commitment. I spent tons of money on IPL and Titan treatments a few summmers ago and I could have gotten the SP for that money. I wish I had known. We had more available for stuff like that then and now we don't too. I see great results from facial exercises but just have not been able to get back to it. I am planning on learning a new method and dragging my feet. That would be at least 1/2 a night though. So all of this adds up time wise and can be hard to keep up I am sure.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi Scalawaggirl:

Ok so if I want to help with orange peely skin, congested pores and lift and tone then I might see some results with FaceMate? How much time does this take and how often do you use it? Is this the same thing and the hand held devices that send in electrical impulses. I have one of those and used to use it. I would not want a duplication. Do you use the CP's with the FaceMate too? My skin is good. It is sensitive and I have to be careful but I do peels. I love Julie's stuff too and I have started TCA. Used to use CP's but increased quickly and really did not see any results. I might try again and start with the super. I have thicker skin so that could be why.

What is UP5?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mommydearest,

The UP5 routine takes about 12-15 minutes. It's basically 3 mins per mode. I don't think I can tell you which gadget to purchase because they're both so different, the BQ being an infrared light and the Facemate/UP5 a pulsating massaging device. Have a look on Ebay because I think that you can buy a Facemate there quite cheaply. Maybe you could get that first whilst you save for the BQ.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Hi Mommydearest,

Facemate/UP5 a pulsating massaging device. Have a look on Ebay because I think that you can buy a Facemate there quite cheaply. Maybe you could get that first whilst you save for the BQ.

Hi Keliu - I have this muscle tightening hand held thing. Supposed to lift and tone. I used it between visits to the aesthetician who did a professional electrical stim thing on my face. I could feel the muscles move and if it was on too high I could feel a zappy feeling to my skin. I had to use a gel like conductive stuff on my face. Is this similar to the UP5/Facemate?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Check out the UP5 here:

http://www.winhealth.co.uk/Advanced%20Skincare.htm
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I was posting the link whilst you were posting your reply! Yes, the gadget you mention sounds very similar, except that you don't have to use a conductive gel with the UP5 - you can just use your favourite skincare products.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Check out the UP5 here:

This is different. It looks great. Do people think it is better than FaceMate. Scallawagirl says she is planning on picking one up and she has a Facemate. So maybe better? The think I have contracts the muscles and you need to leave in one place for a certain amount of minutes. You keep this one moving right?Do you feel it has helped push stuff in deeper to noursish or cleanse in a deeper way?
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:

Hi Keliu - I have this muscle tightening hand held thing. Supposed to lift and tone. I used it between visits to the aesthetician who did a professional electrical stim thing on my face. I could feel the muscles move and if it was on too high I could feel a zappy feeling to my skin. I had to use a gel like conductive stuff on my face. Is this similar to the UP5/Facemate?

What is the name of this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Check out the UP5 here:

This is different. It looks great. Do people think it is better than FaceMate. Scallawagirl says she is planning on picking one up and she has a Facemate. So maybe better? The think I have contracts the muscles and you need to leave in one place for a certain amount of minutes. You keep this one moving right?Do you feel it has helped push stuff in deeper to noursish or cleanse in a deeper way?

That's the difference - the Facemate needs gel, IMO, the UP5 works with your existing products. I will still use both but the UP5 would fit in with my normal routine. FYI, I spend one day a week with a long session (40 minutes) using the Facemate and then periodically do 15 minutes a few other days on occasion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to chime in for the DPL. It is very similar to the BQ. It isn't hand held, however you do you entire face in just 9 minutes and you don't have to move it around. I've only been using it for about a month, but am seeing very nice results and I'm pleased. It seems to be evening out my skin tone and firming up the skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Scalawaggirl - you said
That's the difference - the Facemate needs gel, IMO, the UP5 works with your existing products.

what do you mean the UP5 works with existing products? You can just use your own cleansers or actives under to push in? It is great to have someone compare all of these and I guess you are it. If I had not wasted all that money on expensive treatments that have to be kept up to work I would be able to do this too. Wish I had known about these then.

Do you feel SP is also toning firming? It might be hard to say because you use both. Do you feel one or the other is bettr for orangepeely skin?
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
ok Scallawag - you might be too young to need this yet but does anyone else feel any of these gadgets plumps up the flatness even a little bit? One women I know said she felt the stim machines flattened her and caused fat loss. Can't see how that could happen. Probably her imagination.
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Salli? What is the DPL you have, and where might I purchase one? Also, is it very expensive? I was very happy to see that you go results in so short a time. Anyway, please let us know. Thanks!
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
lefemme, my DPL came from NCN Skincare. I use it in conjunction with copper peptides (which I started at the same time as the DPL). The DPL is about $350.00. It works the same way as the BQ. It just doesn't take as long to do a treatment. I'm really bad about not using things if it requires alot of my time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Scalawaggirl - you said
That's the difference - the Facemate needs gel, IMO, the UP5 works with your existing products.

what do you mean the UP5 works with existing products? You can just use your own cleansers or actives under to push in? It is great to have someone compare all of these and I guess you are it. If I had not wasted all that money on expensive treatments that have to be kept up to work I would be able to do this too. Wish I had known about these then.

Do you feel SP is also toning firming? It might be hard to say because you use both. Do you feel one or the other is bettr for orangepeely skin?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I use gel with the Facemate although I've heard others said they don't and use water but I've not found that to work. It seems to need the gel to conduct properly. I apply my oat beta glucans and then do my whole face/neck in quadrants on the 3 Mhz (lower frequency for face to avoid fat loss); 1 Mhz can be used on the body for cellulite and pain management. Then, I go over the quadrants in the negative ion mode but for a shorter time than the main mode. With the UP5, there are different modes you can use (cleansing, lifting, sound therapy, etc.) and you do so with your normal products (i.e. cleanse mode with your cleanser, lift mode with your eye cream, etc.).

The Quasar SP does firm, yes, as well (part of that collagen building, I think). As for the orange-peel, the Facemate helps more but the QSP surely does a bit, too, but not as obvious. I also use Retin-A, CPs, TCA and now the Dermaroller to assist with rejuvinating my orange peel (I also purchased a medical grade roller and will be using that infrequently for the same purpose).

Both the Facemate and QSP plump my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Scallawagirl
You said:
The Quasar SP does firm, yes, as well (part of that collagen building, I think). As for the orange-peel, the Facemate helps more but the QSP surely does a bit, too, but not as obvious. I also use Retin-A, CPs, TCA and now the Dermaroller to assist with rejuvinating my orange peel (I also purchased a medical grade roller and will be using that infrequently for the same purpose).

We are on the same track. I uses all of those that you do except I gave up on CP's. My skin is thick and I did not see anything great after months and months of starting low and increasing. I might see more results using with Facemate or Quasar though. I am thinking of getting samples to try again. I got the Derma roller a few years ago but kept scratching my skin accidentally with it. I plan on increasing my TCA . I actually just started adding in Julie's TCA cleanser with the crystals and like it. I have her 12% peel and Latte. I need to do your method of spot scar treatments. The 12% is not high enough. I just started back with the Retin A a little while ago so backed off on the peels. I was using Tazorac but it was too strong. Do you find that you have to be really careful with the TCA since you are using Retin A? I am only using the micro right now and only a few times a week. I don't feel I have any irritation from it at all.

Do you think the USP might be slightly better than the FaceMate. Right now I know it is just an instinct since you have not tried it.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Scallawagirl
You said:

We are on the same track. I uses all of those that you do except I gave up on CP's. My skin is thick and I did not see anything great after months and months of starting low and increasing. I might see more results using with Facemate or Quasar though. I am thinking of getting samples to try again. I got the Derma roller a few years ago but kept scratching my skin accidentally with it. I plan on increasing my TCA . I actually just started adding in Julie's TCA cleanser with the crystals and like it. I have her 12% peel and Latte. I need to do your method of spot scar treatments. The 12% is not high enough. I just started back with the Retin A a little while ago so backed off on the peels. I was using Tazorac but it was too strong. Do you find that you have to be really careful with the TCA since you are using Retin A? I am only using the micro right now and only a few times a week. I don't feel I have any irritation from it at all.

Do you think the USP might be slightly better than the FaceMate. Right now I know it is just an instinct since you have not tried it.

CPs are wonderful for healing and have helped me achieve a world of difference but they take time over the long haul. I love using them in conjunction with the scar revisioning; it just accomplishes so much more. As for the use of TCA with Retin-A, yes, I must be extra diligent. The next peel I do, I will stop Retin-A for a week prior. This should both protect and give me a deeper peel (because I was using it in the first place).

As for the UP5 (you can't get it sent to the US, BTW), I'm purchasing and sending to my friend who I will visit in England and then plan to use it with a converter. I think it works differently than the Facemate so can't give you a one or the other recommendation. You can get the Facemate, though; the UP5 would require some finagling from someone over there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Mommydearest, the BabyQ, Quasar SP and DPL are all "pushers" for your serums and actives, too.

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Scala,
how much time does all this take a day? I just now re-pulled out my BQ, and I am hard pressed to take that amount of time. I am impressed you do so many.

adding..I see you also use the derma roller..
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
Scala,
how much time does all this take a day? I just now re-pulled out my BQ, and I am hard pressed to take that amount of time. I am impressed you do so many.

adding..I see you also use the derma roller..

Well, it depends. For example, I just finished using my Facemate (my face looks great from the treatment) and it took a total of 30 minutes. Here is my routine:

Gather my hand mirror, conductivity gel, washcloth and Facemate with power supply. Plug it in to a power supply I've got sitting under my loveseat and do a 20-minute session (5 minutes each quadrant of cheeks, forehead and neck). Then, I set it on the negative ion mode and use it 3 minutes each cheek and 2 minutes forehead and neck. I wash it off with a corner of the wet washcloth, dry it and then use the fully wet cloth to remove the gel from my face. I rinse once more and I'm done. It may sound like a lot but it's routine now so very quick and easy and I love what it does for my skin. This, BTW, is my shorter routine (I do this once or twice during the week and a longer session one day on my weekend beauty day).

I'm just about to use my Quasar SP, which I tend to use 1x/week but I skipped it this weekend so I'll do it tonight. All of these are easy to do while watching TV - I normally catch up on my Discovery Channel so the time flies. The QSP takes about 25 minutes for a treatment. I always use these gadgets in front of the TV as it is way easier than in front of the bathroom mirror and I'm entertained at the same time. It's a breeze. I decided a long time ago that "spa" time was important and so it's second nature to me.

You're right. I did start using the Dermaroller a few days ago and just got the 1.5mm version for some serious scar needling. I will only use that one every 3 months or so and to rebuild scar tissue/collagen.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |