Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone tried shikakai for hair washing?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
seattlegirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 am      Reply with quote
I am originally from India, and my mom only let me wash my hair using shikakai powder until I was about 16 yrs. After that, I discovered shampoos, and wanted none of the traditional stuff. But I got reintroduced to it in my 20's, I have used shikakai on and off.

First of all, shikakai (literally translates to fruit for hair)is a powder made from the pods of a nut tree that grows in India. It is a mild surfacant, and cleans your hair beautifully. Recently, I learnt that it is ph balanced, and also a good detangler.

The traditional hair washing routine in India goes roughly like this. The scalp is massaged with castor oil, or coconut oil, and allowed to soak in for an hour or two.

Shikakai powder is made into a paste with water, and worked into the hair to clean off the oil. Lots of other powders and pastes can also be added to the basic shikakai paste, like fenugreek powder, mung bean powder, hibiscus flowers, etc.

I have packets of shikakai sitting in my bathroom closet. My hair always looks great when i wash it with shikakai powder. Then why don't I do this more often?

1). It is time consuming.
2). It is messy.
3). It doesen't really lather well, since it is a mild (but ver effective)cleanser. Now,I am enlightened enough to know that lots of bubbles doesen't always mean good, but it is hard to break the lather habit.

Anyways, i am inspired enough to try shikakai again this weekend. Thanks for the revisit to childhood.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi:

I also am Indian and I also use shikakai off and on to wash my hair. My mom also followed the coconut oil routine on my head when I was young.

However, my hair is fairly thin and fine -- I don't have the long thick black hair that some Indians have Crying or Very sad .

Shikakai powder should be available in any indian grocery store - it is very inexpensive. I'm in Vancouver & I get it from fruiticana.

It is a little messy, but what I do is empty it into a waterproof container and store it in the bathroom. Then right before i enter the shower I pour about a teaspoon full into a small dish, and mix it w/ a little water from the shower. It doesn't take long at all to do.

Also, I'm used to my shampoos not lathering much because I don't like to use SLS.

One thing to watch for though, is that many brands of shikakai powder are not pure shikakai. Often they are mixed with different additives including SLS, so make sure to check the back of the box - if there are no ingredients listed, then don't buy that brand.

I like to mix my shikakai powder w/ bhringraj powder - apparently that is supposed to make your hair thicker and prevent gray hair.

Also, YMMV with it - my cousin in India stopped using shikakai because she said that it dried out her hair and created dandruff!

I also think that the extremely shiny, thick hair that some Indians have is partly genetics, of course, but also because they oil their hair a lot. There are many Indians who continually oil their hair with (frequently) coconut oil - before and after they wash -their hair always has oil on it. That's my theory, anyway!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |